1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Well, got myself a little something while scavenging a bargain bin at a supermarket having a "bargain bin day"...
View attachment 674860

Dunno why I got it, but I think it boiled down to the snazzy Max Power-esque paintjob. I also don't know whether I should keep it in its blister of take it out but either way, I dig it. Not often a custom pickup appears in my car collection...
Yeah i have that one too, i love the paint job, goes well with the tampo.

Yeah i have that one too, i love the paint job, goes well with the tampo.

Yeah, that was my main reason behind buying it. The only knock I can give it is the hood, not a fan of the big power buldge. It's a custom pickup I know, but having a flat hood would make the overall shape more uniform. Maybe it's just nitpicking on my part, but I can't really criticize it much being a 1€ HW...

Yeah, that was my main reason behind buying it. The only knock I can give it is the hood, not a fan of the big power buldge. It's a custom pickup I know, but having a flat hood would make the overall shape more uniform. Maybe it's just nitpicking on my part, but I can't really criticize it much being a 1€ HW...
I actually dig the hood lol

The Super Treasure Hunt version looks even more amazing with the "TH" logo and 5 spoke rubber wheels.

I would prefer a standard bonnet on that truck tbh.

Yeah, nothing against the power buldge, but it suits drag cars better. Either a flat hood or a more subtle buldge, but this one doesn't really work for me.

I actually dig the hood lol

The Super Treasure Hunt version looks even more amazing with the "TH" logo and 5 spoke rubber wheels.

Haha, I won't hate you for that. No worries...

Also, I need to have a look at that Super Treasure Hunt version, the different rims sound like a very good change. Although I also suspect it won't come for cheap...

Also, I need to have a look at that Super Treasure Hunt version, the different rims sound like a very good change. Although I also suspect it won't come for cheap...
Ain't cheap of course lol but the rims look great.

Finished rearranging the displays, getting so crowded :
IMG_20170924_002003.jpg

_20170924_201201.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. Like the Hot Wheels 1983 Chevy Silverado. That has a regular flat bonnet, suits the street vehicle look better.

I had a look at that casting myself, and I can agree. With the Fram livery for example, it has the lowered tuned pickup look down pat. Really similar to the Ford P100 design I saw in a UK Ford magazine, the same that got me interested in custom pickups.
Kinda makes me wonder why Mattel opted for a power buldge hood with the C10...

I'm just gonna leave this here: Rodney King.

View attachment 674956

Rear wing's straight on my 787Bs, but one of them does have this cowl problem. I'd have to play around with it make it sit right. This pic is intended for my blog, and I thought I had closed the gap, but by the time I moved it around couple of times, I see in the shot that it lifted up little bit again. GJ Tomytec. It's only a $60 hot wheel car. :crazy:

As Apok has already pointed out, there is something wrong with your 787B. Here's a picture of mine:

IMG_8079.JPG

The front and rear cowls fit pretty well. The rear wing, however, is slanted, as seen in this pic:

IMG_8065.JPG

In fact, even discounting all these imperfections, I still don't think it's worth the 61 USD price tag. Sure, it does come with a removable front and rear cowl, and it's a pretty iconic car, but it's also missing some details. For instance, other than the cheap-looking mirrors, it's missing the Dunlop prints on the tyres. Tarmac Works managed to add that to the tyres of its R8 LMS (and they did a pretty good job), so why can't TLV do the same? I don't care if it's applied using decals or tampo, it just feels more complete with them.

With that said, it does have its own merits (more on that when my review post on the 787B comes along, after that of the 2 TLV GT-Rs and the R8 LMS :lol:), but still it doesn't feel like it's worth the 61 USD. Regarding whether it is the best 787B on offer in 1/64 scale, I'll reserve my judgment, as the Kyosho Beads version looks better in some ways, such as the front wheels. Maybe somebody who owns both the Kyosho Beads and TLV versions can make a comparison post to see which is better, disregarding the fact that the TLV has got removable cowls. I've seen the Kyosho Beads #18 787B for sale at daboxtoys for 13 USD, but I didn't buy it, as I failed to get an exchange for another damaged model there. Right now, I think that the Kyosho Beads 787B offers the biggest bang-for-the-buck when compared to the mainline Kyosho and the TLV.

(Apologies if the 2 pictures were a PITA to load. I wasn't bothered enough to take pics with my DSLR, and then turn on my computer, and go through the whole resizing and uploading hassle, so I just took the pics with my smartphone. :scared:)

Last edited:
There's a Kyosho 787b in 1/64 which looks miles better. I think @a6m5 has one.

Edit: here's a google pic.

View attachment 674971

I don't have that car so can't judge it fairly, but judging from pictures I struggle to see how that looks better than the TLV. Let alone ''miles better''
It might be better bang for your buck if you bought it when released (they seem quite scarce on ebay now), but looking better? I have my doubts. For one thing, the quality of TLV's decals is far better than Kyosho.

but by the time I moved it around couple of times, I see in the shot that it lifted up little bit again.

Engine cover on mine fits perfectly but that's the same trouble when taking pics. Kept moving around. :crazy:
Okay, I deserve to be slapped for not seeing this one coming...

It was pretty obvious. :P
You have a disease, but okay, at least a B- probably....

You call it a disease. I call it a lifestyle.
How this grades lower than standard Bellett is beyond me

Gemini definitely would have rated higher, if I owned it. :dopey:

Now this, I should have seen coming. :nervous: :lol:👍

Blog post complete: TLV Mazda 787B

0000000000000000000000000.JPG

0000000000000000000000000000000.JPG

000000000000000000000000000000000.JPG

I also need to work on Kyosho vs TLV, and another post for Kyosho black/test/stealth 787B thing(it's beautiful!).

As Apok has already pointed out, there is something wrong with your 787B. Here's a picture of mine:
Yeah, one of them is fine, this one in the pic leaves a gap.
With that said, it does have its own merits (more on that when my review post on the 787B comes along, after that of the 2 TLV GT-Rs and the R8 LMS :lol:), but still it doesn't feel like it's worth the 61 USD.
I think that says it all, right there. Sort of where I'm at. It's easy for me to say though, as thanks to heads up by @RCKakashi14 back in the day, I was able to score one as soon as they hit online. I've been spoiled.
I don't have that car so can't judge it fairly, but judging from pictures I struggle to see how that looks better than the TLV. Let alone ''miles better''
It might be better bang for your buck if you bought it when released (they seem quite scarce on ebay now), but looking better? I have my doubts. For one thing, the quality of TLV's decals is far better than Kyosho.
It sounds like a cop out, but it feels like comparing apples to oranges to me? TLV has so much more to offer. Also, so many places where they went wrong.

Kyosho pricing, I explained this on my blog, but while these Mazda sets were blind boxes(you don't know which model you are getting), they were like $5 a pop in the intended market of Japan(I think I paid about $26, shipped). Granted, more comparing apples to oranges, but I'm just going to say, Kyosho 787B looks amazing.

If I can explain this Kyosho versus TLV, I think the best I have right now is that, Kyosho looks like it should cost more than what I paid($20-something). TLV, it looks like it should have cost lot less than what I paid($57+).
Engine cover on mine fits perfectly but that's the same trouble when taking pics. Kept moving around. :crazy:
Yeah, even when they fit properly, it's not as precise as some others we've seen at 1/64.
It was pretty obvious. :P
Thank you.
You call it a disease. I call it a lifestyle.
This made me laugh. :lol:
Gemini definitely would have rated higher, if I owned it. :dopey:
Likely story.
Now this, I should have seen coming. :nervous: :lol:👍
You are on my list! Again!
Funny I went looking for these cars on ebay the other day and hesitated since I knew I was going to Phoenix yesterday and would look for them then. Ended up not having the time and then poof, they show up at Walmart today. Oh, and check the Ultra Red Challenger.

View attachment 675199
Nice job. 👍 I've flipped couple of chases before on those & I think one of them was the earlier release Challenger.
That Trans Am is a jewell of a casting (Y)
I still wish I bought the green one. :(

It sounds like a cop out, but it feels like comparing apples to oranges to me? TLV has so much more to offer. Also, so many places where they went wrong.

Kyosho pricing, I explained this on my blog, but while these Mazda sets were blind boxes(you don't know which model you are getting), they were like $5 a pop in the intended market of Japan(I think I paid about $26, shipped). Granted, more comparing apples to oranges, but I'm just going to say, Kyosho 787B looks amazing.

If I can explain this Kyosho versus TLV, I think the best I have right now is that, Kyosho looks like it should cost more than what I paid($20-something). TLV, it looks like it should have cost lot less than what I paid($57+).

Of course, the comparison is silly, but I was replying to yabiggoose which said the Kyosho looks miles better, regardless of price.

That's the plan for this one. It will make up for most of the money I spent today. :P
Yeah, it'll be stupid not to.
Of course, the comparison is silly, but I was replying to yabiggoose which said the Kyosho looks miles better, regardless of price.
I totally got that, and I apologize for any confusion, or misunderstandings. That was me kinda thinking outloud on the inevitable debate of TLV 787B versus Kyosho. They can't be compared, but at some level, it can't be avoided. :crazy:
I was a little down on the Mazda at first but honestly it is a great model. Just let down by the ridiculous asking price, really.
And in execution, the poor build quality. Inexcusable. 👎
Maybe little details like the plastic mirrors and DIY antenna's too. Personally I'm not too bothered about those things though.
I couldn't believe they didn't even paint the mirror glass. Even the black Kyosho has painted mirror glass.
Not even little bit. :lol:👍

I was a little down on the Mazda at first but honestly it is a great model.

That’s how I feel about it now too. After the initial “what is this!”, I’ve calmed down and accepted it as a good to look at 1/64 diecast.

@a6m5 I have chosen my top 10 cars. Easier than I thought. Some I haven’t taken photos of before, so it will take some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
And in execution, the poor build quality. Inexcusable. 👎

Bent wings, yes...:indiff:
I couldn't believe they didn't even paint the mirror glass. Even the black Kyosho has painted mirror glass.

Probably cause they were afraid of breaking them? :dopey:

Would have been nice to have that little extra bit of detail but, meh. As I said I'm not bothered too much about stuff like that.
Not even little bit. :lol:👍

Oh well, I tried. :lol:

I’ve calmed down and accepted it as a good to look at 1/64 diecast.

Exactly I felt too, after the initial disappointment with the bent wing. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Back