1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
No way... Those are super tiny!

What about the F40?
The item description on the 2 online order sites I’ve checked doesn’t say anything about the mirrors on the F40, so I guess it’s pre-installed. That seems to be the case too, seeing as there is a slight indent surrounding the mirrors in the pics on the site.

upload_2018-12-15_15-10-33.jpeg

What’s the next car culture set coming to stores? I got the Street Fighter and dragstrip demons set. Is it Gulf next?

The item description on the 2 online order sites I’ve checked doesn’t say anything about the mirrors on the F40, so I guess it’s pre-installed. That seems to be the case too, seeing as there is a slight indent surrounding the mirrors in the pics on the site.

View attachment 786831
They better be pre-installed with such a high price tag.

That P1, what brand is that?
I was just about to ask the same thing:lol:

Grabbed 7 of the new GT Hot Wheels. All I need is the Skyline. Then, I'll have both the Forza and Gran Turismo sets complete :)

That P1, what brand is that?

I was just about to ask the same thing:lol:

I don’t know... I’ll probably go back there just to check. :lol:

It’s just a less-well-known brand called Colourful Models. I don’t know if they’re a subsidiary of a larger manufacturer though.

I own one of those in orange, and I think it’s better than the Kyosho one, because the car’s proportions look more accurate, and not least because it’s got brake rotors. Pretty decent price as well, Daboxtoys used to sell them for 9.5 USD.

The only problem is that it is extremely easy for the mirrors to break off during transport. (I got mine for ~5 USD due to a broken side mirror, as well as the brand’s relative obscurity. There are a lot of them for sale that way too.) Another problem is that the tyres can be misaligned rather easily after rolling for some time, but that’s a really easy fix.

get one bigger car

In Tokyo now and just went to some of the recommended shops. A little disappointed as there is nothing here I can’t get in HK. But it’s the prices that really surprise me. Everything is more expensive. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong shops, but if so, those travel guides are crap.

No worries as I have always been hesitatant to buy 1/43. Did pick up the latest Tomicas especially the 512bb red and yellow. Did you guys know Tomica is not allowed to sell Ferrari in HK? They don’t have the licence for it. So, everyone in HK has to pay the entrepreneurs to get hold of one.

No worries as I have always been hesitatant to buy 1/43. Did pick up the latest Tomicas especially the 512bb red and yellow. Did you guys know Tomica is not allowed to sell Ferrari in HK? They don’t have the licence for it. So, everyone in HK has to pay the entrepreneurs to get hold of one.
Does that include Hung Hing? I haven’t visited there for quite a while, so I don’t know if they sold Tomica’s Testarossa there, but now that you’ve said it, I’m a bit worried if they will stock up on the TLV Dinos.

Does that include Hung Hing? I haven’t visited there for quite a while, so I don’t know if they sold Tomica’s Testarossa there, but now that you’ve said it, I’m a bit worried if they will stock up on the TLV Dinos.

There are no official HK Tomica Ferrari’s. All Tomica Ferrari’s sold in HK are imported, and most if not all will be from Japan. Hung Hing will most likely be from Japan. The shop I usually buy my Tomicas from are taking preorders for the Japanese version

I forgot to mention that I finally saw some cool Hot Wheels at my Walmart:

Also this:

0.JPG

For the truck, of course. One I actually wanted was the black flatbed that comes in Advan set. I also saw Greddy set, but I thought that one didn't look right online & it was just as bad in person. :crazy:

In Tokyo now and just went to some of the recommended shops. A little disappointed as there is nothing here I can’t get in HK. But it’s the prices that really surprise me. Everything is more expensive. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong shops, but if so, those travel guides are crap.
I think you almost have to have detailed local intel for that. Also, it's surprised many Japanese collectors how much I got cars for on amiami online.

Boo, where is my Dominus? :(

Mattel has made Dominus as the secondary car in their plastic R/C lineup. If Octane is popular enough, I can't see why they can't continue the relationship. Psyonix already has 5 Hot Wheels in the game after all.

Jac Haudenschild #22 Pennzoil and Doug Wolfgang #29 Weikert's Livestock sprint cars by GMP. The Haudenschild is another Elden Racing ride and the Wolfgang machine is the car he drove in the 1980s here in PA for owner Bob Weikert. After this post I only have one sprint car left to share (assuming I won't buy more by then) and I'll have a story to go with it.

20181213_185221.jpg 20181213_185150.jpg 20181213_185246.jpg

It’s just a less-well-known brand called Colourful Models. I don’t know if they’re a subsidiary of a larger manufacturer though.

I own one of those in orange, and I think it’s better than the Kyosho one, because the car’s proportions look more accurate, and not least because it’s got brake rotors. Pretty decent price as well, Daboxtoys used to sell them for 9.5 USD.

The only problem is that it is extremely easy for the mirrors to break off during transport. (I got mine for ~5 USD due to a broken side mirror, as well as the brand’s relative obscurity. There are a lot of them for sale that way too.) Another problem is that the tyres can be misaligned rather easily after rolling for some time, but that’s a really easy fix.
Isn't that just CM's Corp?

Isn't that just CM's Corp?
I don’t think so. The font design of the brands’ name, the packaging, as well as the direction the 2 companies are going in terms of cars, seem too different for there to be a nexus between them. So they’re probably 2 distinct brands.

Don’t quote me on that though, I’m not really all that knowledgeable when it comes to brands. :lol:

I think you almost have to have detailed local intel for that. Also, it's surprised many Japanese collectors how much I got cars for on amiami online.

True. I did think of asking on Twitter. I went to the Amiami in Akihabara but all they had were hentai dolls. Not one single diecast.

As far as I know, Hung Hing gets all Tomicas directly from Japan.

Nope. All shops in HK will stock mainly HK versions because they are cheaper. But some will stock JP versions as well.

Up until about half a year ago HK versions did not have the year sticker on the front on the mainlines. HK collectors are a finicky bunch and they like to be completionists. So they will pay more for the JP version because it has the year sticker on it.

Now though HK versions also have the sticker. So how to tell them apart? HK versions have the obvious distributor sticker plastered on one side. But this can easily be removed as it’s stuck on top of the shrink wrap.

The only way now is to check the batch number stamped on the box. Since most will have no idea which batch number is for which country, collectors have to trust the shop is telling the truth when they label it being the JP version.

Back