10 reasons why Ferrari Challenge is better than GT5P

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 641 comments
One more reason to enjoy this game (in fact, six reasons). The DLC pack is out now in the european stores, with:

track -
Nurburgring GP

cars -

F430 Scuderia
599 GTB (Fiorano)
612 Scaglietti
Enzo

and ....

P4 !!

Price - 4,99 € / £

Nice to see a few GTP tags racing last night 👍

Hey SteveO1965, For GT5P where are you doing most of your racing these days?? I have looked at the new upadate that has come through recently and it's like it was back in October November, with 750PP on Fuji, and now with 800PP on High Speed Ring and Suzuka, I'm finding it more enjoyable.

There are still the occasional corner cutter and punter but I can live with that for now. But with the new cars on FC that are now available just makes racing that much more fun. I wont be able to the new cars in FC yet for a week or so but I cant wait.

Hey SteveO1965, For GT5P where are you doing most of your racing these days?? I have looked at the new upadate that has come through recently and it's like it was back in October November, with 750PP on Fuji, and now with 800PP on High Speed Ring and Suzuka, I'm finding it more enjoyable.

There are still the occasional corner cutter and punter but I can live with that for now. But with the new cars on FC that are now available just makes racing that much more fun. I wont be able to the new cars in FC yet for a week or so but I cant wait.

I have not played since the update but Fuji sounds like fun, may have a look tonight, what new cars on FC mate?

I have not played since the update but Fuji sounds like fun, may have a look tonight, what new cars on FC mate?

Well there is the :

Nurburgring 599GTB, Enzo 430 Scuderia,612 Sessonanta F330P4 Game pack. £4.49

Additoinal Car - Enzo Ferrari Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 430 Scuderia Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 612 Sessanta Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari F330 P4 Game pack £1.29

Nurburgring Game Pack £2.89

All can be downloaded from the Playstation Store.

Well there is the :

Nurburgring 599GTB, Enzo 430 Scuderia,612 Sessonanta F330P4 Game pack. £4.49

Additoinal Car - Enzo Ferrari Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 430 Scuderia Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari 612 Sessanta Game Pack £1.29

Ferrari F330 P4 Game pack £1.29

Nurburgring Game Pack £2.89

All can be downloaded from the Playstation Store.

Nice one mate will check it out 👍

FC is a really good game (I'll buy it soon), but I think it's not fair to compare a full game with a demo. And point 10 is not correct - cars in FC are ALL Ferraris, this is right. :)

"We can release GT5 anytime we want."--Kazunori Yamauchi

Oh really? In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a copy of Ferrari Challenge today. Thanks for the excellent thread on Ferrari Challenge 👍 I'm definitely going to give this one a try.

I'm sick and tired of waiting for GT5--who couldn't make a great racing game if they had the luxury of 5 years to put it out? Deadlines are something people deal with in the real world everyday. The pressure of deadlines actually ensures that things get done 💡 If I told my boss "I can release that form anytime I want" I can assure you it wouldn't go over very well.

Thanks PD 👍 your epically slow development of GT5 has caused one of your previously-loyal followers to resort to buying a different game franchise while waiting for you to release GT5. GT5 Prologue, while excellent, is beginning to wear a bit thin. There's only so many times you can run around the same six tracks in the same cars and not get a sense of burnout. Even the recent 750 PP Suzuka event, great though it was for a time, is beginning to feel a bit stale :ill:

Last edited:
:lol: After you played the game you will appreciate the extra polishing time PD uses for their games, believe me and by the way, PD couldnt care less if you buy this game, as long as you will still purchase GT5 they wont make any loss.

:lol: After you played the game you will appreciate the extra polishing time PD uses for their games, believe me and by the way, PD couldnt care less if you buy this game, as long as you will still purchase GT5 they wont make any loss.

The fact is, "extra polishing" only serves any purpose if the game gets released. Isn't it?

And I agree, PD doesn't care if you buy FC. You will still buy GT5 (as I will). But thatwill happen when that game gets released. Right now, I have V8 Superstars, Need for Speed: Shift and Supercar Challenge on my "to buy" agenda.

And I've been having online races at
Suzuka 750 PP
Fuji 650 PP.

Very polished, although with the most un-polished online I ever knew, even in the PS2.

And I've also been having online races at:

Spa-Francorchamps
Silverstone
Mugello
Montreal
Monza
Vallelunga
Paul Ricard
Misano
Nurburgring (GP)
... and a few less-known others

in dry or wet weather
in closed or open lobbies
with voice chat
with personal liveries
with anyone, regardless of NTSC or PAL

Very unpolished, indeed rough on the edges. But great!

Best of both worlds? There isn't, unfortunately. Unless you do as I do and play both :D

I am kind of surprised people find 1 euro per item a good price tag for additional content for a game with already a low amount of content in comparison to other race games which already cost 60 euro.

Game has a lot of good points but this is not one of them in my book.

I don't have the time to do a proper review right now, but after playing Ferrari Challenge the past two days, there's no question in my mind--it is hands down better than GT5P. More tracks, more realistic physics...this game is epic. Just finished a race at Mont Tremblant in the F40 and it was about as epic as it gets. Autumn scenery, leaves falling on the roadway, unbelievable :cheers:

I would rather have 22 or 23 Ferraris with the excellent physics in FC than the 4 or 5 Skylines, Suzuki Cappucino, Daihatsu Copen, etc. in GT5P :yuck:

Now, I realize, Prologue is just a "demo" but FC is not much bigger.
It's certainly smaller in its selection of cars. But, it has more tracks.
Great tracks :)

Here's a lesson for you PD: Give us some great tracks and focus on the quality of the cars rather than the quantity. We can do without some of the Skylines and hatchbacks. Put more racecars and sportscars in the game. It would be better to have 200 GREAT cars in GT5 than to have 700 cars with 400+ being boring/mediocre/redundant.

That's all for now, gotta get back to FC.

Just unlocked the F333 SP :) :drool:

Favorite tracks so far:

Mugello, Mont Tremblant, Virginia Raceway, Paul Ricard

Last edited:
Mont Tremblant, Spa, Mugello and Virginia make my list of favourite tracks along with Suzuka on GT5P. Tracks like Montreal, Infineon, Monza would make my list of "not quite my favourite track" along with Fuji on GT5P. Silverstone used to be on my most hated list although it is moving up. I don't see any hope of Paul Ricard leaving my list of most despised tracks.

I would rather have 22 or 23 Ferraris with the excellent physics in FC than the 4 or 5 Skylines, Suzuki Cappucino, Daihatsu Copen, etc. in GT5P :yuck
Can't agree with that (and I do love FC), part of the reason I like the GT series so much is that it does feature cars that almost no other game will include and some of these (the Cappucino for your list in particular) are great cars to drive.

Here's a lesson for you PD: Give us some great tracks and focus on the quality of the cars rather than the quantity. We can do without some of the Skylines and hatchbacks. Put more racecars and sportscars in the game. It would be better to have 200 GREAT cars in GT5 than to have 700 cars with 400+ being boring/mediocre/redundant.

Uh from your maths here I would rather have the 700 cars, with 400 or so being "boring/mediocre/redundant" (your words - I don't agree), as that still leaves around 300 "GREAT" cars. Still a better deal than having 200 "GREAT" cars alone.

You may be able to do without some of the Skylines and hatchbacks, but I can't, its part of what makes GT what it is.

I don't want a GT that focus' just on sports and race cars, as quite simply it would not be a GT title if it went that way.

FC has a lot going for it, and range of cars is certainly one of them (but they were less than honest in the exact car count on the box), but not one that makes it better than GT5P in my opinion.

Regards

Scaff

Seems like people keep forgetting GT isn't a racing game, its a driving game(hence yet again "The Real Driving Simulator"). The reason why its not all Supercar heaven as you guys want it is because its about driving.

I'm with the "hatchbacks" camp on this one. I love FC for its force feedback and tracks like Spa. However what makes GT special, in its way, is that I can drive cars I've actually owned.

In FC we can argue if a particular Ferrari handles correctly but most of us haven't driven these cars. In GT4 I can drive the last three cars I owned. I can even apply the same mods I applied in real life (OK not the same but similar).

So for me there's room for both games even if both were to become perfect. There's also room for both to learn from each other and for us to enjoy them both for what they are.

I rented this game, and it cost me money so I had to reply, to give viewers another view of Ferrari Challenge.
It’s been increasingly frustrating to go online every evening & see my all GTP buddies logged into GT5P – none of them apparently willing to try Ferrari Challenge. So here, I've stuck my neck out, & as a public service, I've compiled the top ten reasons why Ferrari Challenge is a better game than GT5P. Yes, I know, I must be :crazy:
:scared:

) Tracks – FC has got 14 excellent tracks, some of them long-established favorites like Spa, Mugello, Montreal, others great, but less-known like Mont Tremblant & Virginia Raceway. In comparison, GT5P offers a handful of tracks, some of dubious interest &, in any case, not all available for online racing.
👍

) Physics – I wouldn’t go so far as to say FC has better physics. The physics are excellent, perhaps a little less detailed & complex than GT5P, but what is far superior IMO is the implementation of FFB. FC is the first console game I’ve played that really communicates the feel of driving & cornering at speed through the wheel. The driver can actually feel the sense of weight transfer & loss of grip – the tires not just sliding through the turn, but alternately gripping & slipping as they are pushed beyond their limits. On the fast downhill corners of Spa, you can actually feel the back end lighten up as the weight shifts to the front tires under extreme braking & turning – it’s really an amazing sensation. In comparison, in GT5P the physics may be there, but you don’t really feel them in the same way, you have to find the correct balance more by experience & trial & error.
It has horrible physics. There's a handful of PS2 racing games with as good or better physics.
And all I could "feel" was twitchy steering, and....nothing.

) Private Lobbies – no need for further comment. Also: there is no region locking or “World Events” – Hello Oz! Hello Sweden! Hello Tajekistan! Let’s get it on!
👍👎 there are good and bad points to private lobbying.

) Online options – pick your car, track, the length of race (it’s great to have the option of running a 30 minute race with well-matched opponents!), assists available etc.
👍👎 Pick your car? Pick your Ferrari, which is cool, for a couple hours.
[/QUOTE]) Offline Gameplay - decent AI & no ridiculous "mission" events that require endless repetition to learn exactly how to pass 15 cars in 3 laps!
Which means if anyone master this game like they have with gran turismo, they will have nothing to strive for.

) Collisions – in FC the cars react to contact – bumping & ramming does have consequences – but not the wildly exaggerated shunting that takes place in GT5P. This remains one of the biggest mysteries about online GT5P – why did PD program these reactions into the online game? A good percentage of the posts on these forums have to do with online “punting”. A lot of that punting has less to do with bad or reckless driving & more to do with the weird consequences of the collision calculations. How many times have you been knocked off by someone ricocheting wildly from a collision with another ricocheting car bumped by another car? In FC you can actually drive side-by-side with another car through a corner, trading paint while you jockey for position.
Because they didn't have their new damage physics system set up in time? We can already assume it'll be a decent damage system, because it's taken so long, despite being a hot topic.

) Weather – races in the rain are an option, with more demanding but reasonable physics. The wet graphics are outstanding – the best visuals in the game.
The graphics were worse than any PS3 game I've played. I think they might be equal-ish to GT4.

) Time clock – a small, but significant feature. The game shows the difference between your time & the car in front & behind allowing you to evaluate your driving on a moment-by-moment basis. In practice, this adds interest to long races, particularly when you are a significant distance away from your rivals. BTW, no RBE! Never had it, never will!
Sounds neat, but minor.

) Visual customization – as in Forza, you can paint & sticker your car to make it unique on the track.
That's cool, but's it's still only Ferrari's.
So even with customs, it's still far less diversity.
) Cars – they’re Ferraris!

I]So, to be fair, here are the shortcomings of FC:[/I]

1) Graphics – it’s not GT5P. The visuals, although rich & detailed, have an unrealistic, almost cartoony quality to them compared to the startling realism of GT5P. This gives an arcadey feel to the driving, in spite of the great physics. It takes a while to get used to this after being accustomed to GT5P, but with time it is not something that you worry about. As always: Gameplay>Graphics.
I found the gameplay worst in show, no feel, just slam on the brakes and start turning at the corner, no rear-flare, so squirrely-ness, no feel whatsoever.
The graphics are downright pathetic, I can't believe sony didn't stop them from production on quality control. Pure crap for PS3, something XBOX fanboys will giggle about.
) No tuning options – if you like to tinker around with your car, you’re out of luck. Personally, I don’t have much interest in this & it makes the racing dependent entirely on driver skill.
We made those leagues, in real life, and nobody watches them. Last I knew it was called IROC, unless they renamed it or cancelled it.

) Frame-rate stutter – although, in general, the online visuals are the same as offline, when you are close (within passing distance) to another online car, the frame rate & sound often “stutters”. This is a significant problem, detracting from the precision of close-racing. However, although disturbing, IMO the major negative aspect of the game, it is not a game-killer. Over-all the racing is very satisfying.
Glitches get more annoying as each game system comes out. It's hurried programming. We complain like hell about every little detail wrong with the GT series, we should apply those same uber-strict rules to competitors as well.

) No ghost replays offline/online & limited replay functions.
Not that the game will be popular enough to have a successful racing league for any period of time.

) Cars – they’re ALL Ferraris!
if FC is so good why are so few people playing it? Well, like Formula One Championship Edition before it, it had some problems when it launched. Like F1CE, it’s not a game that is likely to appeal to the “casual gamer”, so, for the casual gamer the reviews are pretty realistic. But for the committed GTPer, endlessly running the same couple of GT5P tracks online, over & over again, & waiting with infinite patience & dedication for any sign of the Fifth Coming, the purchase of Ferrari Challenge should be a no-brainer. Trust me... :)
I honestly don't understand why anyone who has played GT would actually want to play this game. I rented it, wish I hadn't, I'm out 4 days of my monthly game membership at gamefly. Just glad I didn't buy it for 20$.:cheers:

It has horrible physics. There's a handful of PS2 racing games with as good or better physics.

And all I could "feel" was twitchy steering, and....nothing.

In my view, the best physics ever in consoles still belong to PS2 games (RBR and Enthusia), but I wouldn't consider FC's physics to be "horrible". What wheel did you use, btw?

I found the gameplay worst in show, no feel, just slam on the brakes and start turning at the corner, no rear-flare, so squirrely-ness, no feel whatsoever.

Really? So, I guess it was very easy for you to drive around ... and that's very strange, you are maybe the first GT5P player I know that didn't go off 4 times per lap in their first attempt at FC. What assists did you use?

Glitches get more annoying as each game system comes out. It's hurried programming. We complain like hell about every little detail wrong with the GT series, we should apply those same uber-strict rules to competitors as well.

Completely agree with you here, although I must say that if those uber-strict rules mean ALL developers start to take 5 years to release a new game ... I'll take a few glitches just to have something to play around with.

Not that the game will be popular enough to have a successful racing league for any period of time.

You are wrong here. UKOG have been doing FC championships since it was released, and here in gtplanet we already had a few of our own, even a ROC Event.

I honestly don't understand why anyone who has played GT would actually want to play this game.

What GT? Prologue? It's very easy to understand why, in my view.

I am a GT5P player. And a FC player. And a GTR Evo player.

Will soon become a "V8 Supertars Racing" player. And "Need for Speed: Shift" player. And "Supercar Challenge" player.

All this will happen before I become a GT5 player.

The reason: My wheel is there to be played with, not to be left waiting.

and that's very strange, you are maybe the first GT5P player I know that didn't go off 4 times per lap in their first attempt at FC
Hm, i switched off the assists before even driving 1 meter.
I made the license test with Tiff Needell and had no problems going through it with many compliments in the first try.
Later i had some problems because the AI starts to slam you off track all the time.

I rented this game, and it cost me money so I had to reply, to give viewers another view of Ferrari Challenge.
:scared:

It has horrible physics. There's a handful of PS2 racing games with as good or better physics. And all I could "feel" was twitchy steering, and....nothing.

"Horrible" physics. Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Again, are you kidding? Do you play with a controller or a wheel, because with the G25, after about an hour of gameplay, I have to take a break because my arms and hands are so sore from fighting with the FFB in Ferrari Challenge. The FFB in GT5P is so weak by comparison, it's not even funny. I can easily play GT5P with FFB at 10/MAX for 3 or 4 hours straight without getting anywhere near as sore or tired as I did with FC. As far as just slamming on the breaks and getting away with it in Ferrari Challenge, nothing could be less accurate IMO.

Learning to brake properly and keep the car stable while doing so took me the better part of 3 or 4 hours in Ferrari Challenge, and I am still learning in this area. In GT5P, you can just slam on the breaks pretty much without consequence and it doesn't upset the balance of the car. This is absolutely one area where FC's physics are much better/more refined than GT5P. Again, I can only surmise that you are using a sixaxis controller, or a wheel with no force feedback. Did you have FFB on and all assists turned off ? :confused:

My initial struggles with Ferrari Challenge lead me to believe that it's not because FC's physics are flawed, but rather the exact opposite. I had to wean myself off of my old GT5P habits and change my driving style after becoming so accustomed to GT5P's forgiving physics.

Yeah, well, I think as consumers we kind of have a right to complain about glitches in the GT series because they only produce two full GT titles per decade :rolleyes: I think they should have close to zero glitches with that much development time.

I honestly don't understand why anyone who has played GT would actually want to play this game. I rented it, wish I hadn't, I'm out 4 days of my monthly game membership at gamefly. Just glad I didn't buy it for 20$.:cheers:
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but I think your GT favoritism is pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Based on this thread i decided to try Ferrari Challenge and maaaan, i s*it on this stupid game...
It always goes on my nerves, i didn't even enjoy one second of playing it...
First, sounds are really bad (from scratching tires, crashing, changing gears...), second, that stupid AI, it always goes in your line so you can't pass it, when you touch oponent from behind he goes on brake so he can stop you from wining, and third, the phisycs, which is more like arcade than sim to me, fourth, menus, they are really really bad done, and really slow...

Back