120 gig PS3.

SHOspazz92
From my understanding there never a 120 Gig PS3 Made. However...

A friend of mine was stationed in Korea when the PS3's first came out. His base was having some sort of give-away and he won a PS3. He never opened it as he already had one and when he arrived here in Japan a year later he sold it to me. Now, This PS3 was BRAND new. Never opened and Never tampered with. I no longer have the box to this PS3 but please take my word on it. In anycase, MD has 112 gigs of available space on it (When new). When he received it, It was being given away as a 120 Gig system. What's your take on this?

-Sam

From my understanding there never a 120 Gig PS3 Made. However...

A friend of mine was stationed in Korea when the PS3's first came out. His base was having some sort of give-away and he won a PS3. He never opened it as he already had one and when he arrived here in Japan a year later he sold it to me. Now, This PS3 was BRAND new. Never opened and Never tampered with. I no longer have the box to this PS3 but please take my word on it. In anycase, MD has 112 gigs of available space on it (When new). When he received it, It was being given away as a 120 Gig system. What's your take on this?

-Sam

I guess someone fitted a bigger HDD in it when it was new and then gave it away in the competition.. There has never been a 120GB official PS3... yet.

Robin

I guess someone fitted a bigger HDD in it when it was new and then gave it away in the competition.. There has never been a 120GB official PS3... yet.

Robin

Yup! My thoughts exactly!

Only PS3's that have ever been made are 20GB (discontinued), 40GB (in production), 60GB (discontinued) and 80GB (in production).

No 120GB one yet!

Dont really matter tho! Cos you can fit any size 2.5" SATA HDD and not void the warranty! Im gonna fit a 320GB 5400RPM Western Digital Scorpio into my PS3 when I get back from uni after my exams at the end of May!

Yup! My thoughts exactly!

Only PS3's that have ever been made are 20GB (discontinued), 40GB (in production), 60GB (discontinued) and 80GB (in production).

No 120GB one yet!

Dont really matter tho! Cos you can fit any size 2.5" SATA HDD and not void the warranty! Im gonna fit a 320GB 5400RPM Western Digital Scorpio into my PS3 when I get back from uni after my exams at the end of May!

Personally - I'd go for the WD 10000rpm VelociRaptor 300Gb - At no point does it drop below delivering 75Mb/s - That's some serious gunpower (and space) for a PS3 !...

Personally - I'd go for the WD 10000rpm VelociRaptor 300Gb - At no point does it drop below delivering 75Mb/s - That's some serious gunpower (and space) for a PS3 !...

But that thing will produce some serious heat! It even comes with its own 3.5" heatsink for use when fitting into desktops!

wd_velociraptor.jpg

And the 320GB one is just £80, the WD VelociRaptor will cost a fair bit more, which I dont really have to spend. :(

I'm not buying it guy's. This PS was NEVER opened up. I mean, I'm no expert but is there any way I can verify this by opening it up? Are there any markings on the HD that would let me know this thing is factory?

I'm not saying you guy's are wrong, If anything you are probably right. But, When I say this thing was never opened, I mean... It was NEVER opened, This included the box.

-Sam

I'm not buying it guy's. This PS was NEVER opened up. I mean, I'm no expert but is there any way I can verify this by opening it up? Are there any markings on the HD that would let me know this thing is factory?

I'm not saying you guy's are wrong, If anything you are probably right. But, When I say this thing was never opened, I mean... It was NEVER opened, This included the box.

-Sam

To change the HDD all you have to do is remove a cover, and one screw, slide the old one out, remove 4 more screws, then swap and do the reverse to put it back together, and if I remember rightly all PS3 HDD's are Seagate drives (but dont quote me on that cos im no 100% sure!), so that MIGHT be a way to check (if its not a Seagate, then there's a chance it might have been swapped).

Reason I say Seagate is that there are a couple of people on other forums that have both 60GB and 40GB UK PS3's with Seagate drives, and both mine and my mates Sony laptops use Seagate drives, so its reasonable to assume Sony have some sort of contract/business deal with them.

But removing the HDD and swapping it out will leave no marks or any obvious signs of the change.

And how do you 100% know that they didn't just swap the HDD, then seal it up and put tape over it?

I don't know about Japan, but when I got my 60GB UK PS3 new from GameStation about a week after launch there was no special Sony tape on it, just a normal bit of tape keeping the box sealed.

TBH the easiest way to tell is to look at the box, it will tell you right away what the console started life as, but if you have chucked it away then its not much help!

The Serial Number is: CE346951868-CECHB01

It was Manufactured in November of 2006.

-Sam

According to the interweb model number CECHB01 is the original 20GB version which shipped in the US and JPN...

Does it have chrome on it?

Robin

No, This PS3 Does not have chrome on it.

-Sam

Ah OK... Basically you have an original 20GB JPN PS3 with the hard drive upgraded to 120GB. 👍

Not a bad combinantion as you also get the PS2 EE+GS backward compatibility onboard! :sly:

Robin

Quick note on the new WD drive: According to Tom's Hardware it doesn't run hot, in fact it's cooler than a standard disk.

You might want to look at a thread where someone fitted a solid state disk. They didn't notice any big improvements on the PS3 (but did on the PC) so HDD speed probably isn't a big factor for the PS3. In which case going for a cool and quiet HDD may be more worthwhile.

Oops, forgot to add that I've got some friends in Korea if you want me to see if this is a common "in-shop" upgrade.

Quick note on the new WD drive: According to Tom's Hardware it doesn't run hot, in fact it's cooler than a standard disk.

You might want to look at a thread where someone fitted a solid state disk. They didn't notice any big improvements on the PS3 (but did on the PC) so HDD speed probably isn't a big factor for the PS3. In which case going for a cool and quiet HDD may be more worthwhile.

Oops, forgot to add that I've got some friends in Korea if you want me to see if this is a common "in-shop" upgrade.

Please do. I'll probably take out the Hard drive tommorow and let you guy's know what its running. 👍

-Sam

When the wifey told me to start looking for my PS3 for our anniversary I imediatelky id a search on egay for ror the 60G PS# and saved that search in oth ending soonest and Newly listed. I had already toyed withth e ida of buying a 120 GB HDD to replace the 60 gigger. I actually found a new/sealed Western Digital Scorpio 120 giggerfor $50 with another $5 shipping. Needless to say I jumped on it and instead of installing it in my PS3 I have ought an enclosure for it to use it as an external drive for both the PS3 and the PC. Needless to say its way fatser to transfer 9 gigs of photos directly to a HDD than to a flash drivew or anythihg like it. This also makes it faster for use with my didgi camera.I just got a call for Social Securioty and with anyluck my disabiity will go through here soon. When it does I am doing to replace my old pro camera gear with a new Canon EOS set up and a laptop. and new desktop PC. The WD 10000rpm VelociRaptor 300Gb mentioned above looks like the answer to my dreams. I may look for one of those in an enclosuire as a portale HDD for the camera instead of a lap top, and just focus the the rest on building the desktop PC from hello.

The biggest reason I decided to not install the 120gigger is that I found out that you can't back up your games on the PS3 like you could on the PS2, so why other. If I buy a game its not going to be downloaded from Sony's store. I like to have the hard copy for back up.

A freind gave me an old 39,000 series PS2 the other day that needs a it of work, that I plan on puttng the 20 gig HDD from my PC into so I can download all the game discs ther kids play onto it to keep in their room. That way I don't have to worry aout them scratching up the discs:sly: I truly wish the PS3 was able to do that:indiff:

1) Needless to say its way fatser to transfer 9 gigs of photos directly to a HDD than to a flash drivew or anythihg like it.

2) The iggest reason I decided to not install the 120gigger is that I found out that you can't ack up your games on the PS3 like you could on the PS2, so why other. If I by a game its not going t be downloaded from Sony's store. I like to have the hard copy for ack up.

1) NO electromechanical storage device (eg, a HDD) will EVER be as quick as a solid state device (flash memory)! So your speaking crap! It might "seem" faster to you, but its not in reality!

Electromechanical storage devices have heads that have to move about, that takes time! Only a few ms admitedly, but still time non-the-less!

Solid state storage devices use electricity and have no moving parts! The speed of electricity is almost the speed of light! So therefor a solid state device will ALWAYS be faster than an electromechanical device! Unless your solid state device is a bit dodgy or connected to a slower connection port on your PC of course.

2) I think your dreaming mate! You CAN backup the entire contents of the PS3 HDD!

To backup data from your PS3 just do...

On the PS3 XMB

Settings - System Settings - Backup Utility - Backup

If you only want to backup indivitual files then choose the save game you want to backup, press triangle and then select "copy" and it will let you copy it to any external device!

Google stuff like that before posting inaccurate info! Saves us time, and save you making a fool of yourself! ;)

He's talking about loading the whole game onto the PS3's HDD, so he doesn't have to fool with the disks.

From,
Chris.

He's talking about loading the whole game onto the PS3's HDD, so he doesn't have to fool with the disks.
Well he did specifically say back up ("ack up" to be precise ;) ), but even so, as explained by Scaff in a recent reply in another thread, there is a good reason why this isn't possible:

Allowing that to happen without then using the disc to validate the HDD save (as GT5:P and Warhawk do with the BR versions) would just be an open door to piracy.

To be honest I just can't see this ever happening in the way you describe, as nothing would exist to stop people just lending a disc to a friend or renting a copy and then saving it without actually buying it.

Even if you could copy games to an external HD and play them back by authenticating them by putting the original disc in the drive, as one must with games on discs like GT5P and Warhawk, I really don't see the advantage of doing that over using the HDD. In fact, I can only see a disadvantage in the case of an external drive that doesn't have as fast of a transfer rate through USB compared to the HDD.

The data still has to be somewhere, so if you are running out of room on the HDD, whether you have to buy an external drive or a larger HDD, you'll still need extra space.

Speaking from first hand experience, in addition to replacing my PS3's 60GB HDD with a 160GB HDD (BTW: If when he said Backup, he really meant backup, there is a link to the Backup Utility listing in the PS3 manual in that post), I also use external 160GB & 500GB USB drives for storing most of my media content.

So far I am quite pleased with the results. While the XMB sorting options are much better now thanks to the ability to create custom folders/albums, and of course you lose the thumbnail animations that you can have for videos on the HDD, I still like having my media on the external HDs as it makes it very easy to unplug the drives and plug them into any of our computers in order to quickly transfer files, manage folders, and of course to be able to view the content without the need of the PS3.

Of course you need the PS3 to play games, so having the game data on an external HD would offer me no advantage over having them on the HDD.

Sorry, none of my friends have seen a 120GB version in Korea. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist , but I think it's most likely that it's been upgraded by the shop.

1) NO electromechanical storage device (eg, a HDD) will EVER be as quick as a solid state device (flash memory)! So your speaking crap! It might "seem" faster to you, but its not in reality!

Electromechanical storage devices have heads that have to move about, that takes time! Only a few ms admitedly, but still time non-the-less!

Solid state storage devices use electricity and have no moving parts! The speed of electricity is almost the speed of light! So therefor a solid state device will ALWAYS be faster than an electromechanical device! Unless your solid state device is a bit dodgy or connected to a slower connection port on your PC of course.

2) I think your dreaming mate! You CAN backup the entire contents of the PS3 HDD!

To backup data from your PS3 just do...

On the PS3 XMB

Settings - System Settings - Backup Utility - Backup

If you only want to backup indivitual files then choose the save game you want to backup, press triangle and then select "copy" and it will let you copy it to any external device!

Google stuff like that before posting inaccurate info! Saves us time, and save you making a fool of yourself! ;)

In real time, or the time we physically experience things, I have always found it takes less time to save my large photo files in RAW to a hardrive than to flash drive. I don't care if one device has moving parts vs the non moving parts of the other device, The difference is the connection carrying the information from one drive to the other, A flash drive is normally connected to a dinky little USB cable wheer as a hardrive is connected to a BUS of some sort, therefore is able to have information Piped to it faster therefore taking less time to receive information. No need to google years of personal experience:indiff: Its a lot like pluming, which pipe do you think can handle more volume, A 1" pipe or a 12" main line?

Searches don't always prove fruitful. In fact 90% of all searches I have ever attempted come up empty and devoid of the information I might have been seeking at that time.

"If you only want to backup indivitual files then choose the save game you want to backup, press triangle and then select "copy" and it will let you copy it to any external device!

Google stuff like that before posting inaccurate info! Saves us time, and save you making a fool of yourself!"

Did you read what I wrote before shooting off? I don't think you did. I wrote that you cannot down load your games from the game disc to the HDD on the PS3 like I know people did withthe PS2. Meaning everytime I want to playt the games I have to load the disc instaed of high lighting a game file and opening it to play. I also never mentioned downloading these games to an external drive, I was talking about the onboard drive in the PS3. I had a chance to buy several PS2s that had games downloaded onto their hardrives, like GT3, Socom, and the like. Full versions not demos which is what led me to looking into the whole idea of download games from the DVd/CDs to the HDD.
I don't know if the Ps 2 was designed to e able to download games to a harddrive or not ut I do know that people do it. Regardless I would like to have the option of doing it. I realize that there are those outthere who would use this as a tool for pirating, ut there are also those out there who just wantto e able to archive their existing games therefore preservingthe original copies.

A flash drive is normally connected to a dinky little USB cable wheer as a hardrive is connected to a BUS of some sort, therefore is able to have information Piped to it faster therefore taking less time to receive information.

True, but I was talking about a hard drive in an external USB caddy, or similar vs flash memory.

Of course an internal HDD will be quicker than a USB memory stick, but a USB HDD will be slower than a USB memory stick due to seek times, etc.

If you are going to use it externally then it should be ok. You won't be able to put in internally but you knew that of course.

Is it possible to have a,

2.5"
320gb
7200-rpm
with a 16mb cache?

I can only seem to find 320gb ones with a 8mb cache, and most are only 5400-rpm??

Is it possible to have a,

2.5"
320gb
7200-rpm
with a 16mb cache?

I can only seem to find 320gb ones with a 8mb cache, and most are only 5400-rpm??

Yes it's possible, although it's debatable whether or not you would see any significant difference between a 7200rpm laptop drive w/16MB cache and a 5400rpm laptop drive w/8MB cache... especially for use with a PS3.

I personally just replaced my PS3's HDD from the Western Digital WD1600BEVS Scorpio 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s HDD that I bought last October for only $90 from newegg.com with a Western Digital WD3200BEVT Scorpio 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD which I was able to find for only $130 w/Free Shipping from NewEgg.com - as expected, it has performed splendidly. 👍

BTW: There are threads that cover this topic, that you may want to check out and post there for more info on what hard drives people are using and recommending to use with their PS3's:

Back