120fps now

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 111 comments
Makes sense that its working well with the HDMI 2.1 LG OLED TVs I imagine that was the primary use case for the feature when they implemented and tested it. I have a CX but I mostly use GT7 on my sim rig with my samsung 1440p 120hz monitor, so I think 1440p mode plus monitor may have some specific bugs based on the behavior I found.

hello all,
I have a dell s2721dgf (1440p 165hz) and only recently realised that there was 1440p support for PS5. Up until now I was using a edid emulator/adapter that allowed me to downscale 4k to 1440p (60hz). I've noticed now after switching to the native 1440p x 120z option that my colours appear a little washed (relative to when I was using the 4k adapter), but it is mainly noticeable only in menu's and ps5 home screen.

1. So i'm assuming maybe the menu's/garage are running at <1440p but gameplay is at 1440p, is this correct?
2. Theoretically speaking, the adapter that I previously used should be pointless now? Is there a way that the 4k adapter that downscales to 1440p (60hz) still provides a better picture quality (IN RACE) ?

Appreciate any responses, will try to compare more when i'm home.

VRR is pointless on this game IMO. My TV supports it. I had favour performance on initially but the aliasing looked terrible, looked like a base PS4 game. So I favoured res and kept VRR on but the game feels exactly the same to me as with VRR off. Only difference is I know with VRR off it will always be at 4k and not change res on the fly, so I've put it back to base settings so the game looks as good as it always has and the performance is locked at 60.
The devs should release a minimum 40fps VRR mode like HFW and Ratchet and Clank has. In this mode you get the best visuals and performance feels almost as good as 60fps

Last edited:
Maybe look into your cable?

I don't know.. I was under the impression that LG oleds had this 4k120 VRR feature as one of their selling points. When I bring up the info it shows 3840x2160P@120hz on my C1, albeit at 4:2:2 color, and not the full 4:4:4. That's the only downside

It’s definitely the cable or the hdmi port. Changed to the cable connected to my apple tv and now I get 4k 120hz. 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 5
On the subject of HDMI cables, Linus did a mega test of many, many cables and the results were interesting.....

cheap is not always bad and expensive is not always good...:odd:
conclusion if you're having issues with tv/monitor signal try a different cable even if you're already using a 'high end certified hdmi 2.1 compatible'...

Only thing that discourage me to use 120hz VRR is the 8bit HDR making my HGIG bland due of PS5 limited bandwidth :/

i might test it with regular hdr if that makes it any less bland and grey looking

Last edited:
You guys know if there is a digital foundry analysis video in the making about the 4 different modes since update 1.31? I just chose 120Hz and resolution mode and since i don't find the visuals much worse than before and have a smooth feeling about the framerate I don't feel like testing myself.

You guys know if there is a digital foundry analysis video in the making about the 4 different modes since update 1.31? I just chose 120Hz and resolution mode and since i don't find the visuals much worse than before and have a smooth feeling about the framerate I don't feel like testing myself.
let's wait for them to release something.

I'm not decided yet. The mode you are running has better framerate and better looking reflections, but the image quality on the regular mode is still superior and among the best IQ on PS5.

Same. The trees might be slightly degraded..but at 4k 120hz while racing you don't notice or at least I didn't.
Well I've switched it back to 60fps because I have noticed some occasional frame drops. Sure that would cost you time at the wrong moment.

Like other people the first day I switched it to 120 hz saw the jaggies & low resolution and switched it immediately back, but over the weekend gave it a second thought, my TV (Sony X85J 50) does support 120 hz & the VRR through a firmware update, so after making sure the TV firmware was up to date, I found that I needed through the TV software to switch the HDMI port to the VRR option, then on the PS5 settings/screen & video/ VRR set to automatic. Back in GT7 options/video output set prioritize ray tracing/resolution & 120 hz output to on, importantly that may be being missed in regards to 4K my HDMI port & my cable are HDMI 2.1.

Like other people the first day I switched it to 120 hz saw the jaggies & low resolution and switched it immediately back, but over the weekend gave it a second thought, my TV (Sony X85J 50) does support 120 hz & the VRR through a firmware update, so after making sure the TV firmware was up to date, I found that I needed through the TV software to switch the HDMI port to the VRR option, then on the PS5 settings/screen & video/ VRR set to automatic. Back in GT7 options/video output set prioritize ray tracing/resolution & 120 hz output to on, importantly that may be being missed in regards to 4K my HDMI port & my cable are HDMI 2.1.

ty

VRR 120 Hz / 1080p / RGB 12b TM
VRR 120 Hz / 1440p / YCBCR422 8b TM
VRR 120 Hz / 2180p / YCBCR422 8b 4L8

60 Hz vs 120 Hz
95ms vs 75ms

:gtpflag:

DF video up, short but sweet watching now

Summary:
  • Framerate Mode at 120hz / VRR OFF - 1260p and pretty much locked 120FPS
  • Resolution Mode at 120hz / VRR OFF - 1440p and also 120FPS for a majority of the time, but can have more drops
  • Framerate Mode at 120hz / VRR ON - 1440p, same performance as Resolution Mode with VRR OFF
  • Resolution Mode at 120hz / VRR ON - 2160p 70-120FPS, mostly in the 90s when in races
  • VRR has to be turned on/off from the PS5 settings menu, no option in-game
  • Outside of resolution the modes all retain the same settings, except for grass draw distance which is slighly lower on Framerate Mode
  • GT7 antialiasing doesn't do the best job with lower resolutions

Summary:
  • Framerate Mode at 120hz / VRR OFF - 1260p and pretty much locked 120FPS
  • Resolution Mode at 120hz / VRR OFF - 1440p and also 120FPS for a majority of the time, but can have more drops
  • Framerate Mode at 120hz / VRR ON - 1440p, same performance as Resolution Mode with VRR OFF
  • Resolution Mode at 120hz / VRR ON - 2160p 70-120FPS, mostly in the 90s when in races
  • VRR has to be turned on/off from the PS5 settings menu, no option in-game
  • Outside of resolution the modes all retain the same settings, except for grass draw distance which is slighly lower on Framerate Mode
  • GT7 antialiasing doesn't do the best job with lower resolutions

Thank you. Can’t watch right now. Did they say what is their preferred mode? And did they analise the input delay?

Unfortunately the one thing they didnt test in the video is what happens when you try to use a 1440p monitor with the system output set to 1440p. I am still running into my issue where if I try to use 120hz and VRR with GT7 while the system is set to 1440p, the screen blacks out for a second and then when it comes back the system is in 1080p 120hz VRR output even though the resolution setting still says 1440p. Quitting the game puts the system back to 1440p VRR output. If I set to the system resolution to automatic it outputs 4k 120hz VRR but is downscaled to 1440p on my monitor so not the best picture quality. If I disable the 120hz in game mode it outputs to 1440p 60hz VRR. If I disable VRR in the system settings it outputs 1440p 120hz but without VRR. And it always reverts to 1440p 120hz vrr if I close the game from the menu. All this does lead me to believe there is a game specific bug, or possibly a system bug when using the GT7 implementation of 120hz VRR that when combined with 1440p output causes the system to switch to 1080p.

It's soo soo soo soo good. I wish more games supported higher refresh rates and vrr. I looked at the list of shooters that support 120fps but they all seem to run at much lower resolution.
It really is. I enjoy it. I flip between the original resolution mode and this new one, they both look amazing

this is the problem on PS5 , i wish they upgraded the VRR with LFC and higher HDMI Bandwidth

But maybe that’s what the PS5 Pro will be for? :lol: Sony planned ahead. Plenty of reports of them having already been out in testers hands awhile back and even recently in production already. Not sure if production part is true or what all the new specs will be aside from separate/detachable disc drive, but Sony will definitely get plenty of people to go spend money on another PS5 sooner than later.

Back