1886 Motor Carriage around the 'ring! (in about 2 days)

• Thread starter James2097
  • 622 comments
James2097
I remember someone stating that it was "impossible" to get the Daimler-Benz motor carriage around the Nurburgring due to the steep hills encountered. However they obviously weren't as persistent, nor as insane in the membrane as me! Two days of carefully zigging and zagging up the hills finally got me a lap time of 47 hrs, 50 mins. Seconds and split second denominations are kinda irrelevant. Wish I had a digital camera to prove it! I know some will doubt my claim, and commitment and sanity!

How I did it:
Arcade mode, 0.2 extra KW in the 'quick tuning' menu! Whoohoo! Up to a massive 1.2 KW of sheer grunt. I took off some weight also, as much as the game allowed.
Economy tyres for minimal rolling resistence to get max use of rolling up some hills that would've slowed progress severely.

Down hills:
Easy part. These sections felt like short-lived wonderful rainbows after the nightmarish foreboding horrible hills. The Motor Carriage tops out at a blinding 19km/h. However freewheeling in reverse gets it up to around 80km/h in places (briefly) and was very fun to coast much of the downhill and flatter sections like this! I even lost heaps of traction and "drifted" around corners, getting it up on two wheels occasionally! Can anyone get much faster than 80km/h in this bad boy billycart? Any track allowed. Just getting to the top of a big hill is the hard part...

Up Hills:
Oh dear. You kind of need to use a very laborious 'pendulum' motion. Picture the 'Carriage' perpendicular to the track (or more accurately parallel to the hill gradient line, so that its neither pointing up or down). Okay, now accelerate getting it up to about 5km/h or hopefully more if you go down-hill very slightly initially. Now very smoothly turn to drive up the hill for about 1 metre if your lucky (usually less if it's a bugger of a hill :scared:). Then when you come to a complete stop due to the, ah, hill - CAREFULLY let it roll backwards slowly whilst turning full lock, braking to ensure traction (and precious distance up the hill) isn't lost. Carefully get it to a spot again perpendicular (or VERY slightly pointing down hill) to the track and with the rear wheels just nearly touching the grass. You should be where you started, but a few centimetres higher up the hill ready for another 'swing'. Its kinda like a pendulum motion, being slightly powered in one direction of the motion, which means you can very slowly make your way higher up the hill! Sometimes it can feel like you're not getting higher though! Persistance is the game and eventually you'll get to the top which is sheer bliss.

Another technique that seemed affective on the flatter hills, was to do a complete circle with full power, getting it into top gear (2nd) and then straightening up to slingshot it a bit higher up the hill. This is impossible on the steeper hills as you lose too much traction (and height) when turning the carriage back up hill after it's downward sweep. Trying to slingshot round in circles on steep hills will just lose you precious height.

Doing this lap was incredibly satisfying as during the whole ordeal I actually had to think a bit and be very careful the whole time. I also never knew when and if I would come to a hill that was impossible to climb! This has confirmed that ANY car in GT4 is technically capable of getting around mostly any track in the game (haven't checked all tracks for obvious reasons! Laguna Seca might be hard...). Its only up to the sheer care, PATIENCE and determination of the driver. After working out how to get up my first hill in the Motor Carriage that wouldn't normally have been possible I knew I had to go for a whole lap of the Nurb!

What do people think? Any contenders for beating my lap record of 47hrs, 50mins round the ring? Please note the record can be beaten as I didn't know exactly what I was doing for the first little while, and the time includes some eating and sleeping time... Also max speed records for the 1889 billy-cart should be fun!

Any questions welcome, if I'm not asleep! Feel free to try the 'ring with the pendulum hill climbing technique and you'll agree its possible. Its very hard to get your technique down that minimises height to be lost. Any other tracks that provide good steep hills for a reverse freewheeling speed record? This is a game in itself..

Also I feel it would be easier to go around the 'ring backwards (maybe more gradual changes in elevation, in the direction you'd have to climb the hills, just a guess), ironically sometimes pointing forwards...hah!

Again very sorry for no pics, no facility for that kind of thing.
You must have no life at all

you loner

i have a pic of a motor carriage drift....errrr....2 second power slide going downhill i'll see if i can't post it.... i think there was even a tiny puff of smoke from the tire..

Nice work onedarkhorse.. got confused with 98cobra posting the same thing, but... Thats some serious speed! Your technique must be damn efficient! Also 67mph = 107.8 kph, a new speed record! Getting the wagon sideways skidding it is fun after a bastard of a hill eh?

Did you do any work on your technique before commencing the run so as to get a faster time? Its very fast so far!

Ehm, are you sick? Your -one lap of Nurb in a carriage- mission is... useless, but I admire your patience and your passion for that game.

James2097
Nice work onedarkhorse.. got confused with 98cobra posting the same thing, but... Thats some serious speed! Your technique must be damn efficient! Also 67mph = 107.8 kph, a new speed record! Getting the wagon sideways skidding it is fun after a bastard of a hill eh?

Did you do any work on your technique before commencing the run so as to get a faster time? Its very fast so far!

i maxed out the power, still says 1bhp, and lightened it as much as i could.... it would be absolutely impossible otherwise.....

being able to coast fowards is the lifesaver, with the tapping the handbrake at the top of a hill...... also i used the softest tyres so when i was carrearing down a hill i didnt lose it....... i actually started and was 2 hours in and doing really badly when my sister came over and i paused the game and must have hit the down button as when i came back to play i exited by mistake..... but the first hill took me an hour, and the second time around it only took me 20 mins..... so that was my practice.... there was one hill .... you know the one at the end of the longest uphill bit...... man it was a killer... took me over an hour and was only making about 6 inches at a time, if i went too far and got stuck in the grass i would lose 12 inches.....

***the big news***

i have finished the lap now in 4 hours 39 minutes and 6 seconds and some splits, ill post a pic soon... but yeah your right the replay stops after 2 hours.....

hope i got the world record :)

bon_air21
You must have no life at all

you loner

Because obviously playing a computer game and spending time on an internet forum dedicated to it is a strong indication of being the life and soul of the party. :rolleyes:

Holy ****!!
"record of 47hrs, 50mins round the ring"
I wouldnt even attempt! I cant believe someone actually did it!

Black95Z28
Holy ****!!
"record of 47hrs, 50mins round the ring"
I wouldnt even attempt! I cant believe someone actually did it!

No... The record is now...

4 hours 39 minutes and 6seconds.

C.

OneDarkHorse, I salute you and crown you the carriage king! You absolutely dominated that carriage. You kicked my record clean across the patio!

Seriously well done you must've had a way better technique than mine... when swooping down to begin each swing upwards, did you go downhill much first to build speed? It seemed hard to get the right balance of wanting to build momentum and not wanting to go downhill too much, and potentially lose height....

How did the grippier wheels work? With the increased controllability offered by rolling forwards, I suppose handling became more important (more so than rolling resistance). My choice of economy tyres was only based on my initial assumption that the carriage couldn't go fast enough to really lose grip much or need to handle very well at all. Obviously the soft wheels (I won't call them tyres) didn't really cause the carriage to slow down any more in a straight line while rolling... It was my mistake to choose economy wheels as these slid a bit too much on steep hills wasting much energy and momentum...

Seriously how much did the forwards rolling aid you in terms of progress? I assume you could carry a lot more speed up hills to cut down on time considerably. (2 seconds of rolling vs 15 mins hill climbing laboriously).

Now I wonder with all these tricks and the best setup worked out, just how fast can the record get now? Anyone willing to better OneDarkHorse's record?

(Sane people take note: it hopefully shouldn't be such a mammoth undertaking (if you're on target) as the record stands at just 4hrs, 39mins now!)

DAAAAANNNNNGGGGG!!!! how in the crap did you do that. are you sure you was,nt sleep PLAYING nah I believe That but did you do the track reverse.
:bowdown: :cheers: :confused: 👍 💡 :dunce:
:banghead: why why did I not think to do it before you so I could say that I had a record for a couple of days.

James2097
LOL thanks Jet BIke. Now beat 1DarkHorse's record!

and here are the pics

also this one of the driver leaning when the wagon was threatening to get sideways

also apoligys to james2097, the absolutely fastest speed i got up to was 64 miles per hour, i watched some of the replay so confirm it, and it wasnt as fast as i thought.

yes the tyres were a big differance, the first hill took me 63 minutes on economy tyres and only 22 mins on stickys.... plus going fowards was a great help, my method, when going across the road was to go up hill at least 2mph and roll back at least 1mph, slow going but seemed to gain a bit of distance.... you should try it again :), i dont think i will, but if someone beats me, ill simply have to have another go.....

Simply awesome work OneDarkHorse, thanks for the pics too!
63 mins economy to 22 soft wheels hmm big difference! So does that mean if you were doing it economy, your time would be about 3 times as long? That would be about 13-14 hours or something... about what I thought would be possible with the set up I used... it really pushes the time up hey!

Off topic: hey nice to see some fellow aussies on the thread during this overcast saturday morning. Nice day for carriage records to be set...

Wow, of all the crazy, time-consuming, weird, extreme accomplishments i've seen in all my GT days, I think you guys have finally found the ultimate. You always read about people discovering new challenges in this game but nothing even comes close to that. Congratulations!

(And I thought I was a video game addict)

My journey is over!!!!

332'21.109 total time.

I guess that puts me in second place. That was one of the craziest things I've done in GT. I have to say it was easier knowing that it could be done, but i still felt like crying on some of the really steep hills. OR that really long gentle one. I recorded some split times but i missed most in the end because it was too intense.

T1 2'21.097
T2 34'38.034
T3 36'31.314
T4 39'02.031
over hill ~53'52
over next hill ~67'00
T5 67'44.387
same gentle sloped' hill ~75'24
LONG A$$ HILL 175'22
enter the carousal 188'33
over long and steep hill after carousal 292'40
free wheel for awhile, even have to tap brake a bit around on corner
next short hill 300'21
T10 317'50.731
done! 332'21.109

not the best but im happy with it. :)

maybe i try it again next weekend... :crazy: then again maybe not

Sorry but woundn't be faster just to walk the course in real life? J/K :lol:

Good job, you have way more patience than I to attempt something like that.
👍

thegreatms, sorry you completed this crazy challenge and no one's congratulated you yet!! (you should get some recognition for doing this marathon challenge...) - so BLOODY AWESOME WORK! Step this way into our insanity nurb' carriage club sir, so far we've only had myself and OneDarkHorse mad enough to finish the lap. SmellyBroom gave it a good go but piked thinking it too hard! Omnis also lacked the mental strength (or time) to do the nurb'... So its not easy...

WELL DONE!

And thats a GREAT time btw! (EDIT: any time is a great time when it comes down to it...)

O.o My God

You guys should get a medal or something!
That is Heroic at the very least.

Maybe if you report to PD you did that they'll hire you as beta testers :D

there is one reason why i couldnt do what you guys have done (well several really....) but i think the thing that would stop me from ever doing this for more than 10 minutes would be the urge to GO FAST!!!! how did you control yoursleves and not just go and get a nice fast german tourning car to blaze around in???

still brilliant effort

Back