2005 Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R Z-Tune Vs. 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

• Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 148 comments

Which Is More Superior On The Track?

• Total voters
L4S is right.
This is speculation for the most part.
I doubt many, if any, of us have been the driver in either car none the less both, so saying which car handles better is speculation for sure.

Acceleration and corner grip are also somewhat speculatory since tires make such a difference and only a fool would seriously track race either of these without considering a tire upgrade.

So, with that said.
I think the "looks" are tied- both look great.

Everything else is up in the air (although I made my opinion clear on the first page). :sly:

GT-R Z Tune for me, I think its a beautiful piece of engineering and I just personaly prefer it to the Z06. I also think it would have the performance edge on a track over the Vette, but again its all speculation until there both on the same track I dont think anyone really knows which one would win.

The main problem is that it's so hard to find conclusive figures, laptimes, or other such performance information about the Z-tune...for example, many people say that the Z-tune's Nurburgring lap (the 8:20 one) wasn't taking advantage of the car's full potential.

Then, there's the conspiracy theories behind the Z06's Nurburgring laptime, which, true or not, should be considered in a comparison like this.

There simply isn't enough data for us to make a fair comparison.

joseph dobson
the Z06 might be faster in a striaght line, bue the Z-tune handles better and in my view looks better. Plus, they had to limit the amount of power they could get out of the angine so they to stick with 500bhp, and the car can easily produce 800bhp so i would have the z-tune!!!

The Z-Tune is faster in a straight line

Wolfe2x7
There simply isn't enough data for us to make a fair comparison.

Indeed. 👍

Beyond that, I think there is also a problem in the comparison due to the tuning of each car.
The Z-tune is highly tuned compared to the original form of the car but the Z06 is in a relatively low-tune form (this is reflected by the prices as well as the "stock" car performances).

Bottom line:
Wolfe has it right.
There just isn't enough info for us to accurately discuss the subject without speculation being at the base of most comments. :ouch:

bollocks

both are highly tuned. you think GM would let is halo car for its halo car out of the corral if it had been emasculated? both are highly tuned machines.

that said, if both are equal in terms of horsepower and handling and how theyve been finessed by thier respective manufacturers, it comes down to one thing; power to weight.

vette wins.

neanderthal
bollocks

both are highly tuned. you think GM would let is halo car for its halo car out of the corral if it had been emasculated? both are highly tuned machines.

that said, if both are equal in terms of horsepower and handling and how theyve been finessed by thier respective manufacturers, it comes down to one thing; power to weight.

vette wins.

What does the Vette weight? Isnt it like 3,000 or something like that? Last time i checked, the Z-Tune was 3,500.

both have 500hp (the vette is underated based on dyno tests!)

one weighs less.

thats an obvious advantage all else being equal. since the GTR is awd, all isnt equal, we willnever know.

but those of us whod back the vette would want to see this done. if only just to shut up the fanboys.

neanderthal
bollocks

vette wins.
I think you missunderstood what he was saying. You can compare the Z-Tunes state of tune far easier than the Z06's just by comparing it to normal GT-R's, but find cars using the same engine or a very similar one as the Z06 and I'm sure the difference in tune compared to lower powered states and the Z06's arn't as big as the almost 200bhp jump the Z-Tune has over the R34-GT-R.

A point to be made though I know you didn't state otherwise it's directed to anyone as information, power and power to weight do not alone make a better track car, what makes a car better round a track includes the power and weight, sure, they are performance changing variables. However things like the tyre's, the suspension, the gearbox, the differential, the brakes, the structural rigidity, the center of gravity, the Cd ect all play a big, big part.

The Vette may win, but you can't say it WILL win because it has a better power to weight, and you can't say the Z-Tune WILL win because it accelerates faster.

One last point for you though, do you think the Vette doesn't have "fanboy's" as well, if you do, your very wrong..

Ghost C
In what dream land does the Z-Tune handle better than the Z06?

How can you prove that it doesnt.? :confused: :confused:

but those of us whod back the vette would want to see this done. if only just to shut up the fanboys.

LOL there are more Z06 fanboys these days than skyline ones.

neanderthal
id love to see this played out, if only to shut up the japanese fanboys who have no respect for anything that aint JDM.

the Z06 will take on pretty much any car short of a race car (bring on the supercars yo!) and win.

It's not the JDM gear heads the nead to shut up. It's the damn Muscle Cas gear heads that need to shut up. There the ones that call anything JDM or Japanese in that matter a "ricer". I saw a video full of very nicly tuned Skylines, Silvias, Evo's, STi's, Civics, Supra's, Fairladys, ETC... the whole Japanese sports car gig.
And i was seeing a whole lotta coments of Firebirds, and Camero owners, saying.
zOmG! ROFL! lAWL! i can smoke those ricers any day. LOL LAWL etc... When there cars prob run 13s at the track, wile theres car prob run 10's... Maybe not all, but a good chunk of them are more then liky able to. Mainly the Skylines, Evo's, STi's, and Supras, but i'm sure many more can. Wile yes there are some Firebirds, and Cameros that can run a good 1/4 mile. it seems that they only CAN do a 1/4 mile, and will lose it on a track.

And, most high end Super cars will make the Vette look like a parked car. Enzo, Mclaren, Zonda, Koensegg (or how ever you spell it :lol: ) Ford GT, Gallardo (even though a vette can prob keep up with one)
And the Vette is considered a Supercar, along with the Skyline. So both can definatly run with supercars, and beat a good porportion

Anyways, i will take the Skyline, just because i'm not to much of a American car fan. And i just absolutly love a Skyline to own. I would take it over any car. Except really really expensive ones with i can sell for more then a million $$$.

Master_Yoda
It's not the JDM gear heads the nead to shut up. It's the damn Muscle Car gear heads that need to shut up.

Sounds like BOTH SIDES need to shut up.

I figure, on the same track, the winner will be the better driver: any advantage either car has over the other will amount to mere tenths of a second.

That's my opinion. and I'm sticking to it.

I think it speaks volumes for the Vette that one can compare it to a care worth over twice as much and wonder if it would lose.

But it didnt cost twice as much to make the skyline. Its just that they are so rare and exclusive they could get away with the price tag. I think Z-tunes actually started off as normal GTR's that were brought from people, then kitted up and sold.

VIPERGTSR01
I would also like to point out that in Nismo stated at the Tokyo Auto Salon that while in development the Z tune did a 10.06 down the 0-400m

That was a rumor spread by several magazines, in which I've still not seen be confirmed. I'm also doubtful that the Z-Tune would even break into the 10 second brackett, or hardly run anything quicker than what a Z06 can.

In fact, my standing source (meaning as of now) says the R34 GT-R Z-Tune is about two tenths of a second slower than the Corvette, though I'm unsure about which tires were used.

According to my sources, the straight line race would look like this...
0-60: 3.7 seconds vs. 3.6 seconds: Z-Tune Wins
0-100: 7.9 seconds vs. 8.4 seconds: Z06 Wins
1/4 Mile: 11.5 seconds vs. 11.7 seconds: Z06 Wins
Modcar.org and Fast-Autos.net

Poverty
But it didnt cost twice as much to make the skyline. Its just that they are so rare and exclusive they could get away with the price tag. I think Z-tunes actually started off as normal GTR's that were brought from people, then kitted up and sold.

So what would you estimate to be the cost of building a Z-tune?

One can also compare it to a car that costs less and wonder, besides that, your completely getting the wrong end of the stick comparing the price of the Vette to a car that's so clearly overpriced but it doesn't matter. The bottom line is, for the Z-Tune, the price wasn't much of an issue, there was always far more than 20 people willing to pay over the odd's to buy one and so they simply charged what they wanted for them. Why? Because they could. With the Z06, now yes, it is a great performance for your cash buy, you'd be stupid to refute that, but part of the reason is GM can't charge what they want for it, it's a much higher volume car than the Z-Tune so it has to appeal to more genuine potential buyers and so it goes.

No idea. Not $160k though
No, not $160k, Nissan do want some profit, but including the original car maybe $100k in parts alone.

Theres a few and most have been mentioned in the other Z06 threads where I'd be happy to discuss them, but this isn't a debate on bang for your buck globally, just the Z06 v the Z-Tune.

No, there isn't a price issue. This is all about track performance, and which would be the superior car. There is no reason to bring price into it, because really... it's just a cheap shot.

FAOLIU05
No, there isn't a price issue. This is all about track performance, and which would be the superior car. There is no reason to bring price into it, because really... it's just a cheap shot.

Price puts the track comparison in perspective.

How so? The Z06 completely tares apart much more expensive competition, and rather easily. It's a more affordable super car. It has tons of track performance, as does the Z-Tune, but for a smaller price tag. Most cars of the Z06's caliber sell within the 6-digit area, so it's merely a bargain. As pointed out before, the downfall for having such a small price tag is that it isn't quite as accomodating or luxurious as most of the competition.

But at the end of the day, a faster car is a faster car, price never came into the question this thread is discussing. If you really want to get into price for performance you can just say Radical's win, every time, no argument, simple fact. Best bang for book production cars in the world. But that's got nothing to do with the thread, neither has economy, boot space or reliability. It's which is faster round a track.

live4speed
But at the end of the day, a faster car is a faster car, price never came into the question this thread is discussing.

Yes, at the end of the day you can simply say one car is faster than the other because it wins by .01 seconds. But price is one of the things that puts that number (and this thread) in perspective.

In fact, price and how much a Corvette is worth is why the Corvette is/was so underestimated. So I just didn't really want to get into it.

FAOLIU05
In fact, price and how much a Corvette is worth is why the Corvette is/was so underestimated. So I just didn't really want to get into it.

I understand. It's just tough not to get into it. There is a lot of back-and-forth between which of these two cars can win on the track (though probably the answer is just "depends on the track"). But everyone seems to agree that it would be a close contest.

So if the vette loses by .01 seconds or wins by .01 seconds does it really matter? At the end of the day you can have two Vettes for one Z-tune, and you get to figure out what you want to spend the extra $5k on.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's that close, the Vette wins bigtime. So why bother guessing at the last few milliseconds when it's impossible to know?

Back