2005 Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R Z-Tune Vs. 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

• Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 148 comments

Which Is More Superior On The Track?

• Total voters
"it was an icon"

Only in the UK because it was basically theyre half decent sports car. Us brits make noise about anything thats half decent and british.

Id take the NSX-R and lose a toe.

Your on another planet mate, honestly you are, the Esprit was a superb car, in the late 80's it was hitting over 160mph and 60 in just over 4.5 seconds, that was close to supercar territory. They were iconic in more places than the UK, the fact that a high number of Esprit's were sold in the US is testimony to this. Think before you comment and have something to back your comment up. Now you find me some proof that the Esprit wasn't considered a great car anywhere but in the UK.

Honestly I think I would take an 80's Lotus Esprit (the 2.4 L4 turbo's) over an NSX and not for perfomance reasons. As a kid I remember growing up dreaming of cool cars of the time like the Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Testarossa, Chevrolet Corvette, Lotus Esprit and others. The NSX might be faster, higher tech, more reliable etc but I still have a soft spot for the Lotus Esprit. 👍

Dated, not crap. Two different words with different meanings, it could still do the 1/4 mile in 13 seconds and corner better than most modern sportscars. It was the packaging that became dated, performance wise it could still keep with other 350bhp cars, but it lacked the finess in packaging compared to newer cars and a lot of the switches in the dash ect were taken off other cars. Evo compared a 2002 Esprit to Noble M12 GTO a couple of years back and they said the Noble had a better interior, but the Esprit had a better gear change, better handling and accelerated as fast as the GTO. At the end of the test they called it a draw, that's a car that's been in production for 26 years at this point, against a brand new Noble M12 GTO which has been praised enough. I've read similar comparisons in other mags.

Actually your right. Its because it was dated was the reason why I didnt think much of it. I take back what I said earlier.

As an American, I can attest to the popularity of the Esprit. For quite some time that was one of my favorite cars made anywhere in the world, despite the fact that the car's design was indeed older than myself. The looks were classic, the performance was great, and the price was not as killer as other models in it's class (I'm thinking Ferrari Testarossa, etc.).

It may not necessiarily stand the test of time as the greatest sports coupe to ever come out of the UK, but it most certainly left it's mark.

live4speed
Yes, Morgan is a sportscar maker, lightweight, not to many luxuries to turn it into a tourer. Performance wise the Aero8 can kick the **** out of a Porsche Cayman S, Lancer EVOVIII FQ340 and Lotus Exige on a track. It fit's the definition of a sportscar in every way. Also every company I mentioned do make road cars, with the exeption of the the Invicta which isn't on sale yet and the Cunningham which isn't on sale yet, but both are scheduled to be. I thnik your blurring the line between sportscar and supercar though, you don't class the Gallardo as a sportscar, but you class the Z06 as one, why? Besides that, I can name several cars that could keep up with the Z06 that cost under £80,000, maybe not win, not all of them anyway, but they're in a similar performance bracket on a track.
Really? Id learn something new than. I was under the impression that morgans were basically cars that arent all that sporty. Atleast thats what I got from Top gear. A Noble embarrassed it, seriously embarrassed it.

live4speed
As for Spyker, why do they handle like crap exactley? Is it because you don't like them in GT4, that's it isn't it. Because GT4 is real life, I know. They don't handle like supercars, they do handl well. The thing is they're priced like supercars, and expensive ones at that. But they arn't GT's.
Again, from Top gear, I got a strong impression that the Spyker wasnt all that sporty and was just fast in a straight line. I doubt youve ever driven one, and neither have I. Maybe Spyker have improved with the C12, but the C8 was a car for someone who wanted something different, not overly fast around mountain roads.

live4speed
I'd love to see your definition of a sportscar, a supercar and a GT, because your all over the place here. No offense, but it would at least give some insight into how you view cars.
Me? Who cares? A sports car and super car is just names for what is really the same thing, a high performance car, the super car being more expensive and generally faster.
A GT is a car for everything, sporty but not overly so, quick but no super car, comftrable but no rolls royce, generally engaging to drive and very expensive. The best cars for driving very long distances. Examples include, Astons and Maseratis.

SagarisGTB
Really? Id learn something new than. I was under the impression that morgans were basically cars that arent all that sporty. Atleast thats what I got from Top gear. A Noble embarrassed it, seriously embarrassed it.
I can't rememeber seeing a Noble v Morgan in TopGear, I do know the Morgan Aero8 's power lap was 0.9 seconds behind the M12. But yeah, you learn something new every day 👍.

Again, from Top gear, I got a strong impression that the Spyker wasnt all that sporty and was just fast in a straight line. I doubt youve ever driven one, and neither have I. Maybe Spyker have improved with the C12, but the C8 was a car for someone who wanted something different, not overly fast around mountain roads.
I remember that, but the way JC was talking about the car was like he always does, he loved the car but he didn't feel the handling fitted a car of that price which should be either a proper luxury GT or a proper supercar, the Spyker's not really either.

Me? Who cares? A sports car and super car is just names for what is really the same thing, a high performance car, the super car being more expensive and generally faster.
I agree when it's concerning the higher level sportscars and lower level supercars, but a Honda S2000 is a sportscar but can't be confused with a supercar, though the Honda NSX-R is classed as a supercar by many and a sportscar by others. And going up, the Enzo is a supercar but not a sportscar, sp it's thoes inbetween cars that cause confusion. The lines have beocme very, very blurred over the years.

Max_DC
I said from 0-400 m (so you also have to read my post carefully ;) ), which of course doesn't say anything about track performance, but it is impressive nevertheless.

Z-tune faster than Enzo (0-400m)
Max_DC, I've already proven that it's impossible for the R34 GT-R Z-Tune to run a 10.06 second 1/4 mile weighing more than 3,000lbs and having only 500hp. You want a good 1/4 mile time to go of? The MotoRex Blackbird is your best bet. It's very possible for Z-Tune to make a 10.06 1/4 mile time, but only by upping the boost (600hp+) and swapping the tires with the racing suspension setting (if not a whole other drag racing setting they toyed with).

As far as I'm concerned though, 10.06 is rumor until I see a NISMO official say it.

It's not impossible and you didn't prove anything, you provided evidence to support your opinion that it can't. The weight shouldn't stop a 500bhp car from accelerating like a bat out of hell if the gears are good for it. I'm not saying it's done it as it comes delivered from NISMO, but theres no proof it can't do it yet either. Now top speed claims are a whole different ball game, you can calculate exactley how fast a car with x power can go, but theres too many variables in acceleration to get a truely accurate calculation unless you have access to them all, which I don't think any of us do.

If you read the post you'll see that I was poiting out that it's not so simple to say this car has that much power so it can or can't accelerate that fast. Theres a lot more to it that power and weight. I wasn't arguing or discussing if the car actually has or hasn't ran that fast, a question to which I do not know the answer.

live4speed
It's not impossible and you didn't prove anything, you provided evidence to support your opinion that it can't. The weight shouldn't stop a 500bhp car from accelerating like a bat out of hell if the gears are good for it. I'm not saying it's done it as it comes delivered from NISMO, but theres no proof it can't do it yet either. Now top speed claims are a whole different ball game, you can calculate exactley how fast a car with x power can go, but theres too many variables in acceleration to get a truely accurate calculation unless you have access to them all, which I don't think any of us do.
So then you agree that the Z-Tune will run an equal 1/4 mile than a supercharged Koenisegg CC 8S, which has a 1,000lb/155hp advantage?

live4speed
If you read the post you'll see that I was poiting out that it's not so simple to say this car has that much power so it can or can't accelerate that fast. Theres a lot more to it that power and weight. I wasn't arguing or discussing if the car actually has or hasn't ran that fast, a question to which I do not know the answer.

Yea, I see how you got there. I just don't think it really has any bearing on the discussion. If you assume:

FAOLIU05
Max_DC, I've already proven that it's impossible for the R34 GT-R Z-Tune to run a 10.06 second 1/4 mile weighing more than 3,000lbs and having only 500hp.

...means "stock", then I think you're agreeing with him. If you assume it doesn't mean "stock" then it doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on this thread other than that it implies that the "stock" version can't pull it off.

FAOLIU05
So then you agree that the Z-Tune will run an equal 1/4 mile than a supercharged Koenisegg CC 8S, which has a 1,000lb/155hp advantage?
I'm not saying it's impossible, thats all. The weight doesnt really play any part over a certain speed that happens to be quite low for most cars, under that point weight has a say, over that point it doesn't until you start turning, so you can almost negate the weight advantage straight away if anything the 4wd more than makes up for it.

I reckon this car could run 11 sec 1/4 miles. Ive been spendind some time on an illegal street racing site and many of the members there say theyre camaros are running 11's with around 500hp minus the awd.

Minus AWD, plus Drag Slicks. ;) I highly doubt they're hitting 10's without some type of slicks. I'm sure times fluxuate within mid to low (maybe even high?) 11's with street radials.

Poverty
I could win the lottery and buy a CGT.

I said I want a faster car for the point of the thread. An EVO FQ 340 is fast enough for me.

And the esprit cant hold a candle to the NSX-R. It was never anything special, and im not talking about the new esprit but the old one.
You are insane my friend.

The Esprit was one of the NSXs closest rivals. And the '93 NSX-R and '93 Esprit made very similiar times.

The only reason the '03 NSX-R was faster because it was meant as the top-line car from Honda. It was meant to get away from the cars in the Esprit's class and go after bigger game in the handling areas.

The Noble today is practically the Next-Gen. Esprit. It does everything an Esprit can and did, and does it much better.

:lol:
Wolfe, very nice... You're lack of a response to Max_DC is very well behaved. 👍

Max_DC... :cheers:
Go to racing flix and join up. 👍
Watch the videos and learn from the real world of motor sports.

Search the web for "ultima GTR."
Production Car World Record 0-100-0 Miles Per Hour: 10.3 Seconds.
That's accelerating to 100mph and braking to Zero in 10.3 seconds. :eek:

👍
Video of the actual run can be found at the site mentioned above.
I hope this post is informative to you Max_DC.
Good luck with your searching and have fun. :cheers:

Otherwise, to all others reading this thread...
I ask we stick to the Z06 vs Z-tune subject. 👍
(I still say the Z06 would win :sly: )
( Z-tune < Gallardo < Z06 ? ) :confused:
:fuelonfire: / ":fof:"

On that note, the Z-Tune isn't officially, and can't be considered to be the fastest/quickest production car on the market, not until a Nissan/Nismo comes out in a press release and gives us specific results which say otherwise. Until then, everything concerning the Z-Tune and acceleration times is mere rumor. I just don't see any way a 500hp car that's 500lbs shy of 2 tons running a flat 10. It might possibly run the rumored 2.9 second 0-60, but that's as much room as I'm giving it.

Well as we all know there is no real proof of what the Z tune can do properly so debating weather 'x' car is faster or slower than it is getting alittle old and pointless after 8 pages.

DeLoreanBrown
'91 Lotus Esprit SE Turbo < Chevrolet C5 Z06
True, but '98 Esprit V8 GT > C5 Corvette Z06.
Poverty
And the esprit cant hold a candle to the NSX-R. It was never anything special, and im not talking about the new esprit but the old one.
So you're comparing a before '98 Esprit to a 2003 Honda? Because no way in hell a '98 to '04 Esprit would be outrun by any NSX (and the older NSX Type-R is similarly outrun by the Esprit Sport 300), except in top speed. I'm not saying the Esprit was ever better than the NSX, but it was never any slower (except maybe in top speed), and they cost roughly the same.

I think by saying not the new one he was referring to the one in development.

But enough about that debate now it ended a when he said this...
Actually your right. Its because it was dated was the reason why I didnt think much of it. I take back what I said earlier.

Kent
:lol:
Wolfe, very nice... You're lack of a response to Max_DC is very well behaved. 👍

Dun' worry 'bout it...Max_DC is a friend of mine here on GTP anyway. :)

I just needed to point that out to everyone, and couldn't think of anything else to add to it... :lol:

Back