2005 Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R Z-Tune Vs. 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

• Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 148 comments

Which Is More Superior On The Track?

• Total voters
FAOLIU05
According to my sources, the straight line race would look like this...
0-60: 3.7 seconds vs. 3.6 seconds: Z-Tune Wins
0-100: 7.9 seconds vs. 8.4 seconds: Z06 Wins
1/4 Mile: 11.5 seconds vs. 11.7 seconds: Z06 Wins
Modcar.org and Fast-Autos.net

I didn't think anyone had done proper acceleration testing to a Z tune out of Nismo, then I checked your link and it says

"Please note these are thoery figures only and may differ from manufactures quoted statistics"

So still can't use this source as fact.

Just wanted to mention that on page 2 (I think), someone stated the Z06 would look like a parked car compared to Insert list of supercars here.

Suprisingly, the Gallardo was listed in that mix... And so...

I would like to suggest that anyone who thinks the Z06 merely "keeps up" with a Gallardo spends some time using their net connection for more than just the gtp. ;)

What I mean by that is... Go racing-flix and watch the "Gallardo .vs. C6 Z06" video in the "Highway Runs" video section. :mischievous:

I would post the video myself if the file wasn't 5mb. :(
However, I warn you... If you don't like Vette's and have a passion for the Gallardo- Please Do Not Watch That Video! :mischievous:

FAOLIU05
That was a rumor spread by several magazines, in which I've still not seen be confirmed. I'm also doubtful that the Z-Tune would even break into the 10 second brackett, or hardly run anything quicker than what a Z06 can.

In fact, my standing source (meaning as of now) says the R34 GT-R Z-Tune is about two tenths of a second slower than the Corvette, though I'm unsure about which tires were used.

According to my sources, the straight line race would look like this...
0-60: 3.7 seconds vs. 3.6 seconds: Z-Tune Wins
0-100: 7.9 seconds vs. 8.4 seconds: Z06 Wins
1/4 Mile: 11.5 seconds vs. 11.7 seconds: Z06 Wins
Modcar.org and Fast-Autos.net

10.06 is very possible, who knows what the car puts down to the wheels. The normal GT-R had 276hp (gentle mens agreement) but really put down more then that........

One question, how does everyone "know" that a bone stock GT-R rated at 276bhp puts down 300+whp. How do you "know" that these cars that have apparently been dyno tested were stock. How do you "know" that the correction factors were SAE and not some overzealous correction factor made up by someone who didn't know what they were doing?

I have seen no verifiable proof that any GT-R, ever, has put down more power than advertised. So someone please provide some for me.

As far as straight line capabilities go, I think the MotoRex is a great outline of what to expect from the Z-Tune. But lets also look at what breaks into the 10 second range...

11.00 Seconds or Less 1/4 Mile Times:
2005 Saleen S7 Twin-Turbo, 750hp: 10.7 seconds @ 136mph
2000 Lingenfelter Corvette 650 Twin-Turbo, 650hp: 10.8 seconds @ 133mph
2001 Hennessey Viper Venom 800, 800hp: 10.0 seconds @ 139mph
1999 Hennessey Viper Venom 650R, 650hp: 10.5 seconds @ 132mph
2001 Chevrolet C5-R, 610hp: 10.3 seconds @ 136mph
2002 Koenigsegg CC 8S, 655hp: 10.0 seconds @ 135mph
2000 Koenigsegg CC, 655hp: 10.8 seconds @ 130mph
2001 Doug Levin Stage IV Viper, 1,175hp: 10.1 seconds @ 152mph
2001 RSI Unlimited Viper, 700hp: 10.2 seconds @ 138mph
2004 Chrysler ME412, 850hp: 10.6 seconds @ 142mph
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SVTT, 750hp: 10.3 seconds @ 140mph
1996 Lamborghini Diablo VTTT, 750hp: 10.4 seconds @ 128mph
1995 Koenig F50, 828hp: 10.8 seconds @ 133mph

The on-going trend for a car weighing over 3,000lbs is that it needs at least 600hp to just even make it past the 11 second barrier. And these are all highly aerodynamically efficient cars, all with fine tuning and premium modifications.

So again, if MotoRex couldn't even achieve anything below 11.00 seconds, than I highly doubt Nismo could and still have it handle as well as it does.

Ghost C.
I have seen no verifiable proof that any GT-R, ever, has put down more power than advertised. So someone please provide some for me.
I always thought the Skyline GT-R made 320hp (maybe slightly more) at the flywheel, and 276hp at the wheels. But I've never seen a Skyline GT-R model put down more than 276hp at the wheels.

Master_Yoda
It's not the JDM gear heads the nead to shut up. It's the damn Muscle Cas gear heads that need to shut up. There the ones that call anything JDM or Japanese in that matter a "ricer". I saw a video full of very nicly tuned Skylines, Silvias, Evo's, STi's, Civics, Supra's, Fairladys, ETC... the whole Japanese sports car gig.
And i was seeing a whole lotta coments of Firebirds, and Camero owners, saying.
zOmG! ROFL! lAWL! i can smoke those ricers any day. LOL LAWL etc... When there cars prob run 13s at the track, wile theres car prob run 10's... Maybe not all, but a good chunk of them are more then liky able to. Mainly the Skylines, Evo's, STi's, and Supras, but i'm sure many more can. Wile yes there are some Firebirds, and Cameros that can run a good 1/4 mile. it seems that they only CAN do a 1/4 mile, and will lose it on a track.

And, most high end Super cars will make the Vette look like a parked car. Enzo, Mclaren, Zonda, Koensegg (or how ever you spell it :lol: ) Ford GT, Gallardo (even though a vette can prob keep up with one)
And the Vette is considered a Supercar, along with the Skyline. So both can definatly run with supercars, and beat a good porportion

Anyways, i will take the Skyline, just because i'm not to much of a American car fan. And i just absolutly love a Skyline to own. I would take it over any car. Except really really expensive ones with i can sell for more then a million $$$.

1) Learn how to spell; Its called a Chevrolet C-A-M-A-R-O. The misspelling alone tells me you either no nothing about American cars, or you know nothing about cars in general.

2) American car guys give "ricer" guys crap because they have to strap so much crap on the car before it can even begin to compete against cars like the Camaro, Mustang, etc. in the 1/4 mile. You give me a 2002 Camaro SS and I can get it to run 10's for just a couple thousand dollars. The same on a S15? Youre kidding, right?

- And just because they are American cars, do not assume they are not good track cars. If designed correctly and properly tuned, the F-Body and Fox-Body cars can become serious track competition. They may not be nearly as fast as say a tuned Skyline or Evo IX, its called all-wheel-drive, they could keep up if they are built properly, just like any other car.

3) You do realise that you are calling the kettle black, right? Calling out the American car guys because they do not like Japanese cars is just as bad as the Japanese car guys doing the same to them. Neither side is going to be completely perfect, and neither side will EVER get along about anything. My roots tie directly to General Motors and Mopar products, but my performance cars of choise generally come from Europe. But I will defend an American car, espically my beloved Camaro and Corvette in any situation. Pull your head out of your a**, a d*** book or drive the d*** think, and you might learn that many American cars are just as fast as others sold throughout the world.

4) The 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has proven to be one of the fastest cars not only in it's segment, but one of the fastest cars available for purchase out of the factory. The Enzo, McLaren, and GT are all out of production you dolt, so they cannot count in any current comparison, and the Koeingsegg and Zonda are both completely different cars than what the Z06 is targeted at. Both are purpose built ultra-high-performance cars, cost well in excess of $200K, and are two of the top-ten fastest cars sold in the world today. But if you look at cars at which the Corvette is meant to compete against: Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallarado, Porsche 911 Turbo/GT3, Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe, and Noble M12 GTO, its pretty much a cakewalk for the Corvette. Although offical numbers have not yet been made available for the Porsche twins, I would place those as the top two compeditors to the Corvette, followed shortly by the Ferrari, Dodge, Noble, and Lamborghini. Read any test of the Z06, and it outperforms the competition... All while driving off the local Chevrolet dealer's lot for $70,000 USD.

FAOLIU05
11.00 Seconds or Less 1/4 Mile Times:
You forgot about the (Corvette) LS6-powered 2006 Mosler MT900S: 11.0 seconds @ 135MPH. Yes, it did have the supercharger option that boosted output from 405HP to 600HP, but it nonetheless is a street-legal racecar.

Sorry, YSSMAN, but on the JDM vs Domestic front, I'm going to have to agree with Jim Prower...

Jim Prower
Master_Yoda
It's not the JDM gear heads the nead to shut up. It's the damn Muscle Cas gear heads that need to shut up.
Sounds like BOTH SIDES need to shut up.

RobcioPL
10.06 is very possible, who knows what the car puts down to the wheels. The normal GT-R had 276hp (gentle mens agreement) but really put down more then that........

Actually, when I tried to find info for the Z-tune, I discovered several posts stating that the 10.06 time was achieved during testing, and is not representative of the "production" Z-tune. Now, I'm not saying those people's posts are any more credible than any post here, but it is a plausible explanation...

Ghost C
One question, how does everyone "know" that a bone stock GT-R rated at 276bhp puts down 300+whp. How do you "know" that these cars that have apparently been dyno tested were stock. How do you "know" that the correction factors were SAE and not some overzealous correction factor made up by someone who didn't know what they were doing?

It was once said (not by any fanboys, but in a magazine article) that if you ask the Nissan engineers responsible for the car, they'll admit that it broke the agreement.

I recently watched a Best Motoring video where the "280hp" R34 GT-R out-accelerated the 280hp 350Z down a straightaway without breaking a sweat.

I have a Best Motoring video of the "280hp" R34 GT-R drag-racing against the Porsche 996 Turbo. The GT-R ran a 13.031, which is enough to beat the 400hp Cadillac CTS-V.

I would post the videos here, but I believe Best Motoring vids have been deemed inappropriate by the GTP staff. If you so wish, I could PM or email the links to you.

Ive never thought of comparing the two cars. Quite an achievement by Nismo if they can create a car using a bunch of old chassis of cars that were designed nearly ten years ago and transform it into a performance beast. Cant wait to see what Nismo does with the upcoming GTR. Nismo 600R anybody? :)

Anyway, Id take a Z-tune. You definately wouldnt want to use either as a daily driver though, but the Z-tune looks to deliver a better driving experience than the raw C6R for the street.

Ghost C

Because most of us have looked it up, magazines has tested them and as stated, even Nissan engineers have admitted it. This trend isn't limited to GT-R's, the top spec Supra's were more powerful, the top spec Mitsubishi GTO's/3000GT's wer more powerful and so on. The fact anyone who's tested them will say, and the engineer's will say that they were really more powerful is more than proof enough. It's when the engineer's started admitting it, it became obvious the agreement would be coming down, and lo and behond, shortly afterwards we start seeing higher powered concept cars fron Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi. You know it all makes sense and you can't dispute the engineers comments and the sheer number of tests that have gone hand in hand.

I can dispute anything I want. That's why I asked for verifiable proof - There are engineers from every company who have said that X engine in Y car has more power than it's rated at, does that make it true? Fact is, nobody really knows if these cars make more power than they are rated at.

I never said it was impossible that they did, I questioned the legitimacy of these claims and so far my questioning has went unanswered. He-said she-said, magaziner testers claim, someone who worked for Nissan said, such and such a car that can't be verified as totally stock was dyno'd once and made obscene amounts of HP with unknown correction factors - None of it counts for anything.

The go and buy/hire one and test if for yourself. If we were all going to be that stupid over it I guess my house wasn't built by a person since I never actually saw it being built. It's a fact that the engineer's admitted that they broke the agreement on power, it's a fact that magazines have tested the cars output and the magazine's have said it produced more power, it's a fact that owners and TV presenters have all made the same claim, it wasn't once and it wasn't improbably ammounts of power, it was 330Bhp depending on the weather and all the times different stock GT-R's have been tested, they've been consistent in their findings. If you think this is some mighty conspiracy and all these people are working together for some unseen goal, then you sir, are a fool. Like I said, this thing isn't limited to the GT-R, the Supra's, GTO's and even the top spec RX-7's, all broke the 280PS agreement.

I never said it was a conspiracy. Information travels fast, bad information even more so. All it takes is one person to claim something that's not true, and then someone will think it's true, and the information will spread - Rapidly. If you saw the arguement over the GT-R's weight, you'd see that about half the websites on the internet are wrong on the specs. This happens all the time, especially in the automotive world.

As for your arguement about the house, the house exists, therefore it was built. I never claimed the Skyline didn't exist - Like I said, I questioned the legitimacy of the 300+whp claims. If this somehow offends you like it seems to do, I apologize, I just want to know why everyone seems to take this "fact" (I use that term very loosely) as if it were a law written by god himself.

No it doesn't offend me, it's just stupid to question something that's got so many indipendant sources claiming the same thing. It's not been tested once and found to have over 300bhp, every single recorded test says the car has that much. Tell you what, you find me a single dyno test that says other wise and I'll concede, but the fact is, you can't.

YSSMAN
1)
2) American car guys give "ricer" guys crap because they have to strap so much crap on the car before it can even begin to compete against cars like the Camaro, Mustang, etc. in the 1/4 mile. You give me a 2002 Camaro SS and I can get it to run 10's for just a couple thousand dollars. The same on a S15? Youre kidding, right?

Thats a stupid arguement you put up. Lets see what you are comparing, a 2.0 engine vs a 5.7 engine, damn, thats really does seem fair........

Why the hell do you even make a comparison like that, thats just retarded. I would understand if it was a Ford Focus vs Honda Civc.

At the end of the day isn't it all down to personal preferrence, so one guy has a car with a "lazy" engine producing 500bhp and running 11 sec 1/4 times and the other guy has a high revving "ricer" engine highly tuned to run 11 sec 1/4 mile times, are both cars equal. No they both run equal times, but they both have vastly different characteristics and they both appeal to different people.

The people on either side that give the people on the other side crap for liking a car they don't is ignorant, plain and simple. It's like I've always said about a cars top performance, when I say I'd rather buy one of thoes and people say yeah but xx car is faster, so what, I still don't like that car as much. Different car's appeal to different people and no-one is wrong to like one over the other either way and regardless of which is fastest, sometimes somone will by his own choice choose a car with worse handling, why because something about that car makes that person tick, be it looks, the interior, the sound, the performance, ect or any combinations of the cars features. If someone prefers a cars engine to be a high revving screaming one, so be it, if somone prefers a low pitched rumble, so be it. If somone prefers to tune and tweak a car to go so fast, so be it, if somone prefers to just buy a car that can already go that fast, so be it.

So can leave out this American "crap" v Japanses "ricer-mobiles" because you don't want to get me started raving on about British "junk" ;):lol:.

If you just do a quick comparison of the exteriror I think the winner is clear.

Z06-3-REAR.jpg

skyline_060202_01.jpg

:)

Edit: I know a lot of folks are taking this very seriously, so I thought this thread could use a laugh.

Indeed, very funny danoff. 👍 :lol:

Also, for everyone else here...
Please try to be polite and stay reasonable minded.
If too much of the "fanboy" comes out from either side and insulting tones become the norm... :( 👎 :irked: :grumpy:

So thanks in advance for remembering that we all have a right to speak and hold opinions. :cheers:

Lately the europeans havent been making proper super-sports cars (Just hyper cars). Lambo havent got one, Porsche havent, ferrari hasnt, BMW hasnt mercedes hasnt, maserati hasnt, audi hasnt... Its pretty dismal. Its because cars such as the F430 and gallardo are more than fast enough for the people who buy them, 98% of the owners wont race them, and 99% of the owners who cruise to the mall with them expect extreme creature comforts. We are living in the age of creature comforts. So european super sports cars these days are usually above 1600kg.

Bit crap that is.

But yeah price is irrelvant as these cars are built in different markets with different economies with varying pricetags. Economies make a =huge difference in a cars price tag and the repuattion of the company. If the Z06 was £110k would you buy it? Not with that interior I wouldnt.

Radical does beat them all so lets keep price out of it.

Poverty...You mean the 997 Turbo/997 GT3 won't fit that category?
I thinkthe new SL65 is pretty badazz, no it's not the quickest car around a corner..but..Merc never really did that very will asside from a CLK-DTM.
Lambo's Gallardo fairs pretty well in the corners.

and don't wanna start a fight or anything..
but 215WHP will get you a 12 second honda.
So that whole "a 2002 camaro will run blah blah etc"..It doesn't take ALOT to make a fast car...it's just how you do it...

997 turbo has too much luxury items and the GT3 is underpowered to keep up with cars that have 500hp on highspeed tracks.

The SL65 is too heavy with too much overhang and the clk-dtm still has that automatic box.

As for 1/4 mile times I could buy a evo 8 FQ 340 for 15k then spend another 2k and get it past 400hp. Clutch wouldnt last long though.

Poverty
997 turbo has too much luxury items and the GT3 is underpowered to keep up with cars that have 500hp on highspeed tracks.

The SL65 is too heavy with too much overhang and the clk-dtm still has that automatic box.

As for 1/4 mile times I could buy a evo 8 FQ 340 for 15k then spend another 2k and get it past 400hp. Clutch wouldnt last long though.

15k what EU right? (guessing)
because that's one hell of a deal..considering Base model 8's's and 9's retail for 30,000US (~24,900 EU)

Like I said..the SL65 isn't good in the corner, but there is still no doubting it's ability especially with the #'s it's producing..
the CLK DTM does have an auto, but it's a very good auto.

As for the GT3, are you sure about that? Considering the last one managed to keep up with 500HP cars with only 380+/- under the boot.
unless of course you're SPEAKING of the 996 model; in that case, i was reffering to the 997 model on the way.

anyway back on topic..
I think it'd be a very very close race. I believe maybe the z06 would post better lap times, but in a head to head race the skyline would probably win due to the acceleration factor.
as to which one i'd rather own? the Skyline of course.
Why? I've seen about 2 dozen c6 z06's already...and i've seen 1 Skyline...
and i'm pretty sure the limited LIMITED edition skyline will retain it's value alot better than a C6 z06

Yeah £15 grand UK I meant.I think the next GT3 is gonna have about 420hp. If it was me the GT3 would have 460 or 480hp.

Also forgot about the depreciation side of things. The Skyline is amazing at holding its value. You will pay £40 grand for a R34 GT-R over in the UK and they sold for £60k originally.

Poverty

The 996 GT2 was still available up until last year. It won't be long before the 997 GT2 bows. It doesn't get much more hardcore than a GT2.

Of course, you can buy 2 C6 Z06s for the price of a GT2 and still have money left over for a BMW 530i.

M

We need something inbetween porsche and Z06. Creature comforts and handling of porsche and the speed, power, and price of Z06.

Poverty, we have tonnes of companies that make cars that are proper sportscars not just GT's. The the majority of proper sportscars in Europe are made in the UK, Noble, TVR, Marcos, Morgan ect. There some from mainland Europe such as Weismann, BMW, Venturi keep threatening to make a comeback, YES, Invicta, Cunningham and many more all have and do make sprtscars and are all European. Regarding Porsche, what do you think the Cayman is? Of note, none of these are over 1600kg's. Car's like the (I tried not to get into this) Noble 400R and TVR T440R would put up a superb challenge to the Z06, imagine that for a race.

As for you and the GT3, if it was you it sound's like you'd ignore the segment for the GT3 and just re-name the GT2 the GT3, because by upping it's power into the next level, your making the GT2 pointless.
and Drifster, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but yeah the Vetter looks nicer. But not as nice as...
TVR_T440R_4.jpg

or
m12gto_1.jpg

Though I'm sure not all will agree.

Yeah but theyre not gonna make a new GT2 or so they are leading us to believe. The caymen isnt powerful enough. Id love a NSX-R type of car with 450-500hp.

And all the british cars fall short due to reliability and quality of build. The weismen etc are ugly and look like unconventional cars.

Please audi make the R8 with 550hp and sell it for 65k.

Back