2006-07 NBA Season(Finals - A Four Game Sweep)

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 529 comments
I don't really like them much either, except when they do really well.

I dunno, this Bulls-Heat series has made me mad. They match up really well against the Heat enough as it is, and if the Heat don't start playing at 100% by today's game then i think there's a good chance of a sweep.

If they play at 100% for once by making stops or at least some free throws, then they can win 4 in a row. If they were able to beat Dallas 3 in a row last year, they can beat the Bulls 4 in a row this year.

I doubt that. You guys couldn't beat them in 4 games during the regular season. And just like how we couldn't beat the Warriors during the regular season, it's showing here.

If Dallas gets knocked out, then go Suns and Rockets.

I doubt that. You guys couldn't beat them in 4 games during the regular season. And just like how we couldn't beat the Warriors during the regular season, it's showing here.

If Dallas gets knocked out, then go Suns and Rockets.

Yeah but this is the playoffs, it's completely different. Plus the Heat are a lot healthier now than they were any tme in the regular season. The Warriors, like the Bulls and Heat do to one another, match up well with the Mavericks. They're playing really scrappy defense and have always been extrememly athletic and energetic. But whatever, everyone else is already saying that.

I got faith about tonight's game. Dirk is due for a monster game. We can't have 4 bad games in a row--and yes I am calling the game we actually won a bad game. The Warriors can't have 4 good shooting games in a row--Phoenix can't even do that. The history of jump shooting teams dictates that eventually they have some bad games. Like I said, I got faith for tonight.

And for a bonus I got to see the look on the Heat player's faces when got swept--and it was sweet. Whether or not the Mavs win the championship (or this series) I am glad the Heat got their ass handed to them and their overachieving came to an end.

Yeah but this is the playoffs, it's completely different. Plus the Heat are a lot healthier now than they were any tme in the regular season. The Warriors, like the Bulls and Heat do to one another, match up well with the Mavericks. They're playing really scrappy defense and have always been extrememly athletic and energetic. But whatever, everyone else is already saying that.

It doesn't matter if it's the Playoffs or a little game with no one around.

Point is, Gian, the Bulls are a much stronger team than Miami. If you lose continuously to a team in Regular season and then have to play them in the Playoffs, it's going to be quite obvious that the defeated team won't exactly have the advantage.

Ok, I'm done. I can't believe we aren't prepared for the playoffs. I'm now officially done watching the Mavs. I've waited over 20 years for this?! Once again we choked when it mattered. I'm not even going to blame it on the officiating no matter how bad it was or wasn't. We. Weren't. Prepared. Period. I'm done, I'm not even watching Tuesday night's game.

Go Bulls.

Ok, I'm done. I can't believe we aren't prepared for the playoffs. I'm now officially done watching the Mavs. I've waited over 20 years for this?! Once again we choked when it mattered. I'm not even going to blame it on the officiating no matter how bad it was or wasn't. We. Weren't. Prepared. Period. I'm done, I'm not even watching Tuesday night's game.

Go Bulls.
If they indeed are out after this round, Cuban and whoever the GM is, they better make some crazy moves between the '07 Draft to the trade deadline. I wouldn't rule out trading Dirk.

And sorry Mavs fans for jumping the gun here, but how about coaching? I gotta admit, I'm somewhat biased. I've liked Avery since his days with the Admiral. For starters, not getting the team in gear for the Playoffs, some of the responsibility must rest with the coach.

IMO, he deserves another chance....... with a new, improved roster.

A couple of things I disagree with here.

The Heat were overachievers? How can you call a team with Dwyane Wade & Shaq overachievers? Their championship team from last year was built very similarly to the Lakers team that was winning not too long ago. A star SG, a star center, and a great supporting cast. Hardly overachieving if you ask me. I think the Heat just had a tough year plagued with injuries. Dwyane Wade clearly wasn't at 100% at any point in this series. Even so, I didn't expect the Heat to get swept.

Secondly, I really don't like when coaches get blamed for a team performing poorly. As a player at any level, what motivation do you possibly need to get geared up for the playoffs? Every single player knows what's at stake, to put it on the coach is pretty lame. A coach can only do so much, at the end of the day it's the players that win or lose the games. Even is Dallas gets eliminated, there's no way they can just say "bad coaching" and let Avery go. Anyway, Dallas clearly has the more talented roster, so I am in no way ruling them out of this series. All they have to do is take care of business on their homecourt in Game 5 and then all the pressure is put back on Golden State as Game 6 would basically become a must win for them. I'm out of time here, I'll post some more later. 👍

I swore it was going to be a Dallas vs. Detroit final match up with it going 7 games. Guess I was wrong.

The Pistons will have no troubles with the Bulls, Ben Wallace sucked when he was on Detroit and he sucks now that's he's on the Bulls. He is one of the more overrated player in my opinion...he can't even shoot a free throw, hell my ass can shoot a free throw.

I still say the Pistons win it all, unless of course the Nets do something unexpected.

Secondly, I really don't like when coaches get blamed for a team performing poorly. As a player at any level, what motivation do you possibly need to get geared up for the playoffs? Every single player knows what's at stake, to put it on the coach is pretty lame. A coach can only do so much, at the end of the day it's the players that win or lose the games. Even is Dallas gets eliminated, there's no way they can just say "bad coaching" and let Avery go. Anyway, Dallas clearly has the more talented roster, so I am in no way ruling them out of this series. All they have to do is take care of business on their homecourt in Game 5 and then all the pressure is put back on Golden State as Game 6 would basically become a must win for them. I'm out of time here, I'll post some more later. 👍
I think you are referring to my post. What I said was that I think Avery deserves another chance with a new roster.

On your take on the coaching, it's a yes and no. In the NBA, coaches are the ones that gets fired. They get paid less, their contract does not count toward the salary cap. But you are right, coaches can only do so much. They can not suit up and go in for the team, players are the ones who are respoinsible to execute plays, play well enough to win.

Having said that, I've been hearing that Mavs offense are looking pretty clueless out there against the Warriors. And obviously, they haven't been able to defend against them either. Yes, players must be held accountable for losses, but in this case, sounds like Avery's getting outcoached by his "master".

P.S. Oh, I'm rooting for the Bulls, big time. I LOVE Ben Wallace. This is the best series for me, so far. Yes, Chicago is the underdog, but if they shoot the ball well enough, Pistons are no Phoenix Suns or anything like that. I don't think they'll be able to keep up.

The history of jump shooting teams dictates that eventually they have some bad games. Like I said, I got faith for tonight.

And for a bonus I got to see the look on the Heat player's faces when got swept--and it was sweet. Whether or not the Mavs win the championship (or this series) I am glad the Heat got their ass handed to them and their overachieving came to an end.

I really don't think the Warriors are a jump shooting team. They're extremely athletic and have loads of slashers including Davis, Richardson and Ellis.

You're right, it was almost as good as the Mavericks' faces now as they are down 3-1 to a team that made the playoffs on the last game of the season, and not to mention last year when they lost 4 in a row to a certain team in the Finals. :)

Thanks for the sentiment but I've already given up. I forsee Dirk and or half of the team getting traded next year. Or Cuban putting the team up for sale.

I was hoping Toronto would of done better, but they have alot of younger players who need valuable experience. They'll be here again next year.

I'd say 40% chance on Dallas. I want to say 50/50, but I'd give the edge to the Warriors, just because of how dominant they've been in this series.

I hope San Antonio can finish the Nuggets tonight.

P.S. Brandon Roy was awarded the NBA Rookie of the Year, today. It was just about a unanimous decision as he received 127 out of 128 votes. A voter from Toronto decided to vote for Bargnani, which ruined Roy's chance of getting the unanimous decision. Only two players(The Admiral & Ralph Sampson) in the NBA history has received unanimous decision for R.O.Y.

I have nothing nice to say about this voter from Toronto, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. Loser.

Anyone else think Dallas will probably pull it out of the bag and get past Golden State? I personally do.

If they do it will be a much easier road to the Finals. If they didn't learn anything from last night's game then I truely pity them.

I'd say 40% chance on Dallas. I want to say 50/50, but I'd give the edge to the Warriors, just because of how dominant they've been in this series.

But incase you've noticed the 2 games in which Dallas was aggressive and taking the ball to the rack the Mavs got the foul calls and the Warriors cried about it. The Warriors are a horrible loser. They've never heard of graciously losing and or graciously winning. The 2 games the Warriors lost there were 3 ejections and every player was whining to the refs about everything.

I hope San Antonio can finish the Nuggets tonight.

Damn, the Spurs just won as I typed this. Too bad, they are absolutely boring to watch. At least a Nuggets Suns series would of been entertaining. The Spurs couldn't score 105pts to save their lives...FIVE YEARS AGO!

I have nothing nice to say about this voter from Toronto, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. Loser.

Brilliant. I love it.

But incase you've noticed the 2 games in which Dallas was aggressive and taking the ball to the rack the Mavs got the foul calls and the Warriors cried about it. The Warriors are a horrible loser. They've never heard of graciously losing and or graciously winning. The 2 games the Warriors lost there were 3 ejections and every player was whining to the refs about everything.
I love Baron, but they do have character issues. If Dallas actually win the Game 7, they better run to the locker room, eh?

Damn, the Spurs just won as I typed this. Too bad, they are absolutely boring to watch. At least a Nuggets Suns series would of been entertaining. The Spurs couldn't score 105pts to save their lives...FIVE YEARS AGO!
Boring to watch? For REAL basketball fans(yes, I said it. :sly: ), they play some of the finest basketball you could ever witness. They actually play the way the game is supposed to be played. It is the hardest basketball to play, and their skills and execution are just unbelievable.

Oh, and even if the Nuggest had beat the Spurs, they don't stand a chance against the Suns. Against the Spurs, they had a chance, because as you noted, Spurs offense can be pretty slow at times. But against the Suns, they'll just be outgunned. Suns got way too many weapons.

Brilliant. I love it.
:D

Well, Dallas is sitting at 15-19, Golden State with 5 minutes left in the 1st QTR.
C'mon Dirk! STEP UP!!!!
The only good news is that Baron Davis might have hurt his right hamstring.

If they lose though, I guess, go Suns then.

When the HELL did Golden State get so good? Most people haven't even heard of the Warriors.

edit: Richardson just schooled the Mavs.

edit again: LOL, the Mavs got MEGASCHOOLED. That buttface Mark Cuban is so pissed off.

That's it. **** the Mavs. I'm sick and tired of a regular season team that can kill anyone choke in the Playoffs.

Go Phoenix!

When the HELL did Golden State get so good? Most people haven't even heard of the Warriors.

edit: Richardson just schooled the Mavs.

edit again: LOL, the Mavs got MEGASCHOOLED. That buttface Mark Cuban is so pissed off.

1. Golden State isn't good. First they are the luckiest team I've EVER seen. I've NEVER seen any team--including the Suns shoot that lights out on 3 pointers. They made 2 50ft+ 3 pointers--granted one didn't count but he still made it. Secondly, I blame everything squarely on Avery Johnson. He didn't get the team ready to play...period. This was all mental. Just because a team beats you in the regular season doesn't mean you can't still compete with them in the playoffs. I've been watching the NBA for 20 years, I've seen alot of crazy things...but this was just beyond rediculous. I'm 100% positive Dallas was thinking 12 games ahead to the Finals and forgot that you needed to play the first three rounds of the playoffs first. AND, they got it in their head BEFORE the playoffs started, they had the "oh crap we have to play the Warriors" mentality. That cursed them, and Avery did nothing to get them out of it.

2. Dude, you don't like Mark Cuban and that's fine--but the name-calling to that degree is childish. Grow up.

That's it. **** the Mavs. I'm sick and tired of a regular season team that can kill anyone choke in the Playoffs.

Go Phoenix!

1. This season was different--or at least it was supposed to be. Again, I blame Avery here and his lack of experience COACHING. Just because he was a good player and has billions of playoff games under his belt with the Spurs and Mavs doesn't mean jack as a coach. I am taking this as another learning experience for the Mavs. Hopefully NEXT year they will have learned two valuable lessons from the last 2 playoff sessions.

2. Screw Phoenix, go Spurs in that series. But go Bulls for the rest of the playoffs.

I love Baron, but they do have character issues. If Dallas actually win the Game 7, they better run to the locker room, eh?

Boring to watch? For REAL basketball fans(yes, I said it. :sly: ), they play some of the finest basketball you could ever witness. They actually play the way the game is supposed to be played. It is the hardest basketball to play, and their skills and execution are just unbelievable.

Oh, and even if the Nuggest had beat the Spurs, they don't stand a chance against the Suns. Against the Spurs, they had a chance, because as you noted, Spurs offense can be pretty slow at times. But against the Suns, they'll just be outgunned. Suns got way too many weapons.

1. Baron Davis is a hot-headed player. He talks trash, he whines to the refs on every play, and he is a sore loser. If you haven't noticed that these playoffs then I'm sorry. Our local broadcast showed him and the other Warriors players being hot-headed, mouthy sore winners AND losers. I truely dislike that team--and it isn't Nelson's fault.

2. I don't know what you are smoking but real NBA basketball is played at a higher pace. 95% of the years the NBA has been played has been more uptempo faster basketball. There were a couple of years in the late 90's where Stern added some new rules that favored defenses until coaches figured out a way to overcome them. I'm not saying Phoenix or Warrior fast fast fast hurry jack it up basketball is what I like--because quite the contrary. I liked the style of play that the Mavs had in the REGULAR SEASON. A team that can do any style. The old Pistons, Bulls, Celtics, and even the Lakers all had several styles of play. Now teams are too one-dimensional. Defense defense defense...or fast break fast break fast break jack it up jack it up jack it up type styles.

The SPURS have more of the defense first, half court second, and a VERY distant "hey lets push the ball" mentality. They COULD do it, they choose not to for the majority of the time. I do not like, slow half court grind it out games*--they make me sleepy.

*-see Eastern Conference teams

1. Golden State isn't good. First they are the luckiest team I've EVER seen. I've NEVER seen any team--including the Suns shoot that lights out on 3 pointers. They made 2 50ft+ 3 pointers--granted one didn't count but he still made it. Secondly, I blame everything squarely on Avery Johnson. He didn't get the team ready to play...period. This was all mental. Just because a team beats you in the regular season doesn't mean you can't still compete with them in the playoffs. I've been watching the NBA for 20 years, I've seen alot of crazy things...but this was just beyond rediculous. I'm 100% positive Dallas was thinking 12 games ahead to the Finals and forgot that you needed to play the first three rounds of the playoffs first. AND, they got it in their head BEFORE the playoffs started, they had the "oh crap we have to play the Warriors" mentality. That cursed them, and Avery did nothing to get them out of it.

2. Dude, you don't like Mark Cuban and that's fine--but the name-calling to that degree is childish. Grow up.

Relax, man. Sounds like someone is a little annoyed that their team got crushed. I was just joking about Mark Cuban, so please have a sense of humor. I'm glad he's taking the loss well, though. He certainly has improved his character. 👍 But, I digress...

The Warriors are not lucky. If they won by a point, they would be lucky. The Mavericks got out-coached, out-played, and were out-scored by over 20 points. The Warriors were not making lucky shots, they were schooling the Mavs in play and execution.

Don't be so pissed off, man. How do you think Miami feels?

No, Golden State was lucky. You can't seriously expect a team to shoot lights out from 3pt range for 6 straight games in the playoffs...when that team hasn't even been anygood in the last 14 years?

Out coached? I may agree that Avery was terrible this series but Don Nelson--now I've seen him for along time here so don't think I don't know his coaching--had almost nothing to do with how they played. That has been and will be the way the Warriors are--push the ball and jack up 3's. Nelson just encouraged them--that's it. He did it here too.

Let me repeat what I said, I've NEVER SEEN in all my 20 years of watching NBA basketball seen a team that was THAT on fire from the perimeter. EVER. 30% of those 3's were from over 25ft away, a handfull were from more than 27ft away, a handful of them were offbalance with one arm, and even still 2 were from 50ft or more away (one didn't count but still). I'm not even going to include the ones they made when the Mavs committed a foul and they shot the ball when the ball was dead--they made most of those too. Phoenix would love to shoot that well and that unconcious from 3.

I give credit for the Warriors for one thing and one thing only, for sticking to their gameplan and shooting 3's regardless of the game's flow or outcome. THAT is there only strength. Utah or Houston will wipe the floor with them in 5 games--or maybe even 4 games.

When team is shooting the lights out, they are not lucky. They are feeling it. They are hot. If you play basketball, you'd know what being in the zone is like. You are unconscious. You just jack it up, nothing but the bottom of the net.

My personal theory on it is that your shooting mechanics just becomes perfect due to the flow of the game, also the condition of your body. But does that mean you can't beat a team that's hot? No. I can't picture Dallas doing it, but this is where you have to become the total villain. You bump them, you talk trash. Instigate a fight, no open layups(which means knock Davis to the floor everytime he gets to the hoop). But again, I don't think Dallas Mavs have that in them. That's what it takes. Couple of my favorite players of all time, MJ & Pippen, now, they were couple of the dirtiest players you ever saw. 👍
1. Baron Davis is a hot-headed player. He talks trash, he whines to the refs on every play, and he is a sore loser. If you haven't noticed that these playoffs then I'm sorry. Our local broadcast showed him and the other Warriors players being hot-headed, mouthy sore winners AND losers. I truely dislike that team--and it isn't Nelson's fault.
I can understand that. I love Baron's game. He truly is a great player. I don't know much about his personality though.

2. I don't know what you are smoking but real NBA basketball is played at a higher pace. 95% of the years the NBA has been played has been more uptempo faster basketball. There were a couple of years in the late 90's where Stern added some new rules that favored defenses until coaches figured out a way to overcome them. I'm not saying Phoenix or Warrior fast fast fast hurry jack it up basketball is what I like--because quite the contrary. I liked the style of play that the Mavs had in the REGULAR SEASON. A team that can do any style. The old Pistons, Bulls, Celtics, and even the Lakers all had several styles of play. Now teams are too one-dimensional. Defense defense defense...or fast break fast break fast break jack it up jack it up jack it up type styles.

The SPURS have more of the defense first, half court second, and a VERY distant "hey lets push the ball" mentality. They COULD do it, they choose not to for the majority of the time. I do not like, slow half court grind it out games*--they make me sleepy.

*-see Eastern Conference teams
I just have to shake my head at this........ JCE. I want you to wear a sign on your back, "Basketball fan in training" for rest of the NBA Playoffs.

Uptempo teams struggle in the playoffs. I want you to remember that. Really hard.

Now, I didn't start watching NBA until the late 80's or so. So let us start clean in 1990. How many uptempo, run-and-gun teams have won the NBA Finals? Exactly, ZERO. Good teams will always slow down and kill the uptempo opponent with their DEFENSE. When my Blazers used to be good, we'd have success against Kobe & Shaq. We'd thrive on more exciting style offense, but that was doing the regular season. As soon as the Playoffs begun, Lakers defense never allowed us to run. They always made other teams play their pace.

Dallas Mavs could've been the first uptempo team in a decade or two to actually win the title, but that never happend. Phoenix this year, I think they have a great chance at the title. But that have absolutely ZERO to do with the tempo of their play. They simply have loaded roster with some awesome firepower. As you probably know, I'm rooting for San Anton, but their roster is thin. Unless guys like Parker, Ginobili, maybe even Barry get real, real, hot, I think they'll have tough time beating them. Spurs are much better team than the Lakers though, it should be a good series.

I give credit for the Warriors for one thing and one thing only, for sticking to their gameplan and shooting 3's regardless of the game's flow or outcome. THAT is there only strength. Utah or Houston will wipe the floor with them in 5 games--or maybe even 4 games.

Oh, yeah, I never said the Warriors would be NBA champions. The fact of the matter is that they won. By a lot. By too much to be considered dumb luck.

As upset as I am with Dallas, I am more upset with the Dallas Morning News.

In all 3 articles of the Mavs, every one brought up when Dallas blew a 13-point lead to Miami last year. Oh, nice job Mr. D. Moore, and Jean-Taylor for forgetting to mention that at least someone in the 2006 Finals actually WON a game in the Playoffs this year as the Bulls swept the defending champs.

No offense Gian, the articles just have me red-hot with their two-face reporters. They will most certainly get an e-mail from me later today.

Either, I'm still going to root for both Texas teams still in, and Phoenix.

Golden State fans should enjoy. Because we ALL know their luck is dead. Golden State may have 'believed' they can beat the Mavs, but there isn't a chance in hell they'll beat McGrady or Kirilenko and Boozer.

Come on now Texans. Dallas got completely worked. You can't call it luck. You can't win a 7 game series by luck. I completely agree with a6m5, what you call luck I call getting into "the zone". Golden State out played Dallas, that's all there is to it. And you already know how I stand on the "blame the "coach" deal. How do you expect to win a game when the supposed MVP puts up 8 points on 2-13 shooting? Star players win games in the NBA, and Baron Davis was the best player in this series. Nowitzki was awful, I really hope he doesn't win MVP.

I also believe Golden State can beat Utah or Houston, because I don't think this team cares who they're playing. They're clearly not intimidated by playing any team, and they just knocked off the "best team" in the league right? So why wouldn't they "believe" that they can beat Utah or Houston?

McLaren raises a good point anyway, the NBA fans from Texas don't really have anything to worry about. You still have 2 teams left to cheer for.

Back