2006-07 NBA Season(Finals - A Four Game Sweep)

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 529 comments
What an awesome game last night against the Lakers!

It got so close, I almost turned it off. But I'm glad I didn't. I finally saw Kobe break under pressure by shooting 2 weird-arsed 3 pointers, driving to the bucket half the time without even thinking about teammates, and going for any foul he can in the 4th QTR. Basically, I saw Kobe desperate.

But it was great. The Mavs thankfully kicked up the defense at the end, and when the Lakers started pulling tricks, it was far too late to recover.

I love basketball but I can't watch that much of it over here in the UK. We only get 1 match a week and that doesn't start until 2am. This week it was the Lakers at the Rockets and it was a good game, the Lakers won in the end. Yao Ming was impressive as usual and a young Lakers players (Bynum I think he's called) stood out as well.

But my team is the Kings and I hardly ever get to see them play. :-(

I love basketball but I can't watch that much of it over here in the UK. We only get 1 match a week and that doesn't start until 2am. This week it was the Lakers at the Rockets and it was a good game, the Lakers won in the end. Yao Ming was impressive as usual and a young Lakers players (Bynum I think he's called) stood out as well.

But my team is the Kings and I hardly ever get to see them play. :-(
Kings are sucking pretty bad this year, if I remember correctly.

Lakers/Rockets game must've been pretty cool. I used to kind of like the Rockets, but since one of my least favorite player.... scratch that. One of my least favorite human being, Bonzi Wells joined them, so I don't root for them anymore.

This is really awesome to see a European NBA fan. I know I've talked to you before though. I think it was a music related thread...... Anyways, it's good seeing you again(figure of speech).

So, is there any word on Al I.?

Just wondering as 76ers were beaten by Dallas tonight, 93 to 79 which is actually a good sign for the Mavs.

I went to the Clippers vs. Blazers tonight. Blazers actually were on the giving end of a blowout. Clippers caught up in garbage time, but too late. I got another Chalupa coupon(you get one, everytime your team scores over 100).

So, is there any word on Al I.?

Just wondering as 76ers were beaten by Dallas tonight, 93 to 79 which is actually a good sign for the Mavs.
Speculation was that it was supposed to get done this week, but you know how that goes.

Big rumor in Portland has been the one involving the Blazers, of course. Before I talk about it, I have to tell you that it has zero chance of happening, if Blazers management have a hint of intelligence in their heads.

Blazers send Jamal Magloire to the Sixers.

Sixers send Allen Iverson to the Nuggets.

Nuggets send Nene Hilario to the Blazers.

Nene has a huge contract that would limit Blazers financially. Plus, he has serious injury risks. For a team like the Blazers, it would pretty much be a suicide.

I hate A.I. for a thug that he is, but I do respect him so much for his heart. He loves the game, and he is a competitor. I hope he gets traded to a team where he could be effective.

Well, the Nuggets are going to need Allen now. Tonight at Madison Square Garden, a fight broke out in the 4QTR between the Knicks and the Nuggets. The fight started when I guess a Knicks player got the Nuggets as a player went for the hoop by the neck.

More here as 10 are now suspended.
10 ejected.

In other news:
Dallas Mavs win 90-79.
Phoenix goes for 14th straight win.
I hate Cuban for letting Nash go.

I saw that on the news. Carmelo threw a clean punch, so I hope that thug gets a really good suspension. He won't get away with this one.
I hate Cuban for letting Nash go.
Boy. I can see why Cuban made the decision he made. I mean Nash was a great player, but he was getting up there in his age, wasn't he? On a contract renewal for a guy like that, you aren't supposed to get big money. You also aren't supposed to keep up the level of play, let alone get better.

I think Nash surprised everybody. Also, as a Tony Parker guy, I never liked Nash. It wasn't until he started to prove himself all over again in Phoenix, I gained a whole new respect for him(don't tell my friend, Cesar. we still have Parker/Nash trashtalk every now and then). 👍

There's even more news on the fight, but so far the only thing new is that the Knicks are throwing the blame which is pretty much true.

There's still no word on the punishments though.

I do love this line though from a Pacers player.
One player involved in the Pacers-Pistons fight in 2004 said all the attention to a couple of brawls is overblown. "Listen, the NHL lets them fight. Fights happen in baseball. Fights happen in football," Indiana forward Jermaine O'Neal said. "Why are we under scrutiny about our game?"

That is dissapointing to hear from a guy like Jermaine. I've actually met him once, and he truly is a super nice guy. In fact, this is only the second bad press I've read about him with the first one being that fight in Detroit.

One of the major reasons I can't stand NHL is the fight. Some hocky fans defend it as the only effective way to let the players off some steam. I've heard some fans ask, "You don't want them to actually hurt each other with the sticks, do you?". Yeah, I guess it's justified, then. :rolleyes:

When I watched Hocky in the winter olympics TV one year, I actually enjoyed watching it. I've yet to see one NHL game in my life, and as long as they act like bunch of monkeys, I won't waste my time. They look so silly punching each other on skates. Leave the punching to the pros, man. :lol:

That is dissapointing to hear from a guy like Jermaine. I've actually met him once, and he truly is a super nice guy. In fact, this is only the second bad press I've read about him with the first one being that fight in Detroit.

One of the major reasons I can't stand NHL is the fight. Some hocky fans defend it as the only effective way to let the players off some steam. I've heard some fans ask, "You don't want them to actually hurt each other with the sticks, do you?". Yeah, I guess it's justified, then. :rolleyes:

When I watched Hocky in the winter olympics TV one year, I actually enjoyed watching it. I've yet to see one NHL game in my life, and as long as they act like bunch of monkeys, I won't waste my time. They look so silly punching each other on skates. Leave the punching to the pros, man. :lol:

Thing I don't like though about his quote is that he acts as if the NFL and MLB let the fight. Now, I haven't seen a fight in either one in a very long time, but I'm pretty sure they don't sit around and watch it. They stop it like they did tonight. The other thing is that those 2 leagues are not exactly as close to the fans as the NBA is.

Thing I don't like though about his quote is that he acts as if the NFL and MLB let the fight. Now, I haven't seen a fight in either one in a very long time, but I'm pretty sure they don't sit around and watch it. They stop it like they did tonight. The other thing is that those 2 leagues are not exactly as close to the fans as the NBA is.
Agreed. Also, as you've said, in NBA games, fans sit right next to the action. And one of these "two fights" that he talks about is a all out brawl between the fans and the players. It's a little more serious than a player rushing at the mound.

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
PHILADELPHIA -- Allen Iverson got the new team he wanted, and the Denver Nuggets got the new superstar they suddenly needed.

The four-time scoring champion was traded Tuesday by the Philadelphia 76ers to the Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks. The Nuggets also get Ivan McFarlin.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9880761
Considering the situation the Sixers were in, I think they did OK. They could've done better, but they did alright.

If I was George Karl, I'd seriously start thinking about quitting or retiring. No amount of wins will justify working with guys like Carmelo Anthony, K-Mart and Iverson. I'd have nightmares, every night. :nervous:

George looked like he was a kid in a candy store during the local interview this afternoon. I don't think you could have wiped smile off his face.

George looked like he was a kid in a candy store during the local interview this afternoon. I don't think you could have wiped smile off his face.
A guy at work reminded me, but George Karl is bit of a whack job, too. It's gonna be a one, fun locker room. :D

Couple of questions for you guys. 1) Do you think the sharing of the ball between Carmelo, Iverson and Kenyon would last? 2) By the time Carmelo is back from his suspension, do you think Denver will have turned into Iverson's team? :D

Holy hell, the Mavericks got lucky tonight!

Dirk was not critically injured on his ankle, and after a huge beating in the first half, Terry and Dampier came out and OWNED Seattle in the 2nd half.

edit
Watched the Mavs. Vs. Clippers the other night and I must say....Where the Clippers on dope? They played like crap against Dallas. 115-83.

In other news, Yao hurt! Out 6 weeks.
Dec 24, 2006 0:8am ET
Yao to Miss Six Weeks With Broken Leg
"Yao (Ming)was diagnosed late Saturday with a non-displaced fracture in his right tibia. He will be out at least six weeks," reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle
Ouch.

Yao looked like he was in PAIN! Anyways kindof crazy how Yao & the rockets put a wooping on the spurs and then this happends to Yao the very next game. But it sucks for Yao cause he was putting up some big numbers. Kindof made the spurs loss to them not soo bad now. Hope he recovers well.

GO SPURS!

Many observed this season as Yao's breakout season, myself included, so this is too bad. I don't like the Rockets(Bonzi Wells), but I do wish well to Yao Ming. Very nice guy.

I'm watchinig the Lakers/Heat Christmas Game. Lakers are getting spanked.

I'm watchinig the Lakers/Heat Christmas Game. Lakers are getting spanked.

Yeah it was a great game. I really enjoyed it. :)

a6m5
Couple of questions for you guys. 1) Do you think the sharing of the ball between Carmelo, Iverson and Kenyon would last? 2) By the time Carmelo is back from his suspension, do you think Denver will have turned into Iverson's team? :D

Well right now it's no problem since the primary scorers - Carmelo, Kenyon and J.R. - are out. When they come back from the suspension (except Kenyon cause he's out with a knee injury right?), i think it'll still be Carmelo's team because so far Iverson says he only wants to win a 'chip and doesn't care about scoring titles or MVPs.

Yeah it was a great game. I really enjoyed it. :)
I bet you did. :lol: I've telling peple that Heat is not Shaq's team, it's Wade's. I know Kobe didn't look good at all in that game, but still..... Wade is fun to watch(Kobe, too). 👍

Well right now it's no problem since the primary scorers - Carmelo, Kenyon and J.R. - are out. When they come back from the suspension (except Kenyon cause he's out with a knee injury right?), i think it'll still be Carmelo's team because so far Iverson says he only wants to win a 'chip and doesn't care about scoring titles or MVPs.
Yeah, considering the point of career they are at, A.I. will step aside. At least he should. All I can say is that they better hope to win a lot of games. If they aren't winning, and with the personalities on that team, it should get pretty entertaining. :D

Dallas took down the Bobcats and are now back in first place of their division. Considering so, they also have the best record in the NBA for this year, San Antonio behind them, I believe.

Yep, we do it bigger in Texas. :D

Did you just call them "San Antonia"? I hope they kick your team in the behind! :D

I went to the Blazers/Hornets game. Game was a blowout as expected. They didn't have Chris Paul, Peja, David Westley, or Bobby Jackson.

Highlight of the game was when they were during the prize drop routine from the blimp(that Ford Edge one that I posted pics of). First moron was this lady who ran at the dropped envelope containing the prize. She fell down about 4, 5 steps. Yeah, it was mean of me to laugh, but this second one takes the cake. From near the top of the entry/entrance, this guy jumped. In the NBA Arenas, how tall are they, like 16, 18 feet? I watched the whole thing. He didn't have a chance of catching that envelope, but he jumped anyway. That was pretty much my highlight of the night!(yes, better than the game).

Um, no? :sly:

I'm just happy the Mavs are back on the top of their division.

Found out though the Lakers got beat by Miami on Christmas day. Good job Heat! 👍

edit I didn't watch tonight's game, but boy, it was close against the Suns. 101-99. Dallas though still has San Antonio (did I get a6m5? :sly: ) right behind them though.

<---- *points to avatar* Yea, D-Mavs are back...it is time for the NBA to prepare for another Mavs championship run. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :mrgreen:

<---- *points to avatar* Yea, D-Mavs are back...it is time for the NBA to prepare for another Mavs championship run. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :mrgreen:
They should have won last year. Bad officiating here and there, I understand. But they just fell apart after that, stopped playing. They choked. After the Mavs beat the Spurs(who I was rooting for), especially in the close, but convincing manner, I would've given them the Championship. Today, my opinion on who the real Champion should've been are 50-50 between the Heat and the Mavs. Heat got the benefit of the BS NBA officiating, but the Mavs should have played thru it. Oh, well. The best series had been played in the Western Conference since the Jordan left the Bulls anyway, not counting the Finals with the Pistons in, of course.

how bout those Raps, lol first in their division...worst division in NBA history too...god, no teams over .500

lol,

got a sweet NASH jersey for christmas too as a side note, official and everything....now, i just need 10 more inches of vertical and I can dunk.

how bout those Raps, lol first in their division...worst division in NBA history too...god, no teams over .500

lol,

got a sweet NASH jersey for christmas too as a side note, official and everything....now, i just need 10 more inches of vertical and I can dunk.
I didn't realize that their division was that bad, though someone did tell me that Raptors are in the playoffs because of the default(division leader).

Dunk's so overrated. :sly:

Mavs are on another wild winning streak. 11 in a row...almost matching the 12 game streak earlier. Looking good eh McLaren?

Anyone noticed how scores of games have seem to become a few points lower with the move back to the new ball? :(

Actually Stern had the players vote last month on bringing the old leather ball back and they overwhelmingly agreed to ditch the new synthetic ball in favor of the old leather one. So they SHOULD be using the old ball again. *shrugs* I agree with the players, I've handled and shot baskets with the new ball and it does suck.

Back