2008 Best Car Series: (Round 2) SL65 Black vs FIAT 500

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 94 comments
  • 4,379 views

Axis Power Face-Off!


  • Total voters
    76
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
Last of the second round guys...

====

7749sm6.jpg

The SL65 AMG Black Series

VS

Fiat500_release.jpg

The FIAT 500
 
I see so much more personality in the 500 then the monster it's fighting. The black is overdone, while the 500 manages to be clean, cute and cool.

3 C's=My vote
 
As awesome as it would be for the car I nominated on a whim to go to the semis, I went 500.
 
Hm, an ugly monster versus a hopelessly adorable car. That’s going to be difficult…
 
This one is hard to choose because I like both cars. :boggled:
 
6.3L awesomeness can't quite hold up to a little hatch that is supposed to be a blast to drive, affordable and, well, awesome.
 
Voted for the 500. Small, cheap, economical, and fun will always beat out big, expensive, un-economical and fun any day.
 
Voted for the Cinquecent. Even when I voted for both cars during the last round, I think the SL65 Black is just overrated compared to the flexability of the 500. Plus, its a cult thing.... :D
 
I'll vote for the SL65, because the SL65 is more exotic
 
On a whim, I'm going to look at the voting in the GTR thread ( :lol: the results are interesting). ;)
For the same reason I voted a GTR was better (in a net contest) I've also voted the SL better. Comparing the two out of the real world, there's no contest (no matter how much you like lightweight FWDs).
To me, the net contest is equal to asking... If you could drive the car one time on any road you picked, what car would you drive? In both cases (sl v. 500 & gtr v. holden), I picked the faster, more costly, more exclusive, more awesome (to me :sly: ) car.
In this case specifically, the 500 would only stand a chance if it was the fancy tuned version (or am I thinking of the Megane R26R that should really be in the poll?). :lol:
 
Last edited:
Until the Mercedes actually exists, I just can't vote for it...
 
Im amused that the pendulum has swung so far back. Everybody was so in lust the the Black and most hadnt even realised it was only a concept, with production likely.

And after some respected members "poo poohed" it, it finds itself orphaned against the might of the Fiat 500s befuddled by its sudden unpopularity.

I'm here to fuddle it.

I still am in awe of the Black. If the performance of the CLK Black vs the standard CLK AMG then i fear that the Black will be all its cracked up to be; which is epically, incredibly, amazingly, awesome.

I follow not the sheep. I scoff the naysayers. I tread my own path. I live dangerously. I vote Black Series.
 
Last edited:
Hm, an ugly monster versus a hopelessly adorable car. That’s going to be difficult…

Except I'm a bloke, I'll let my girlfriend have the cute cars, I'll have the in your face big muscular cars thankyou very much.
 
Except I'm a bloke, I'll let my girlfriend have the cute cars, I'll have the in your face big muscular cars thankyou very much.

It's that same sort of philosophy that keeps me on about an internet contest v. a real life decision. That is to say, when I bought the most recent car in my life, the choice was made with considerations for a 61y/o man, 55y/o woman, 23y/o man, and myself... Needless to say, my Corolla was a solid choice but not the super light, rwd, manual transmission, stripper model I would rather use for transportation. :p

Of course, relative to the subject at hand...
I don't think I could vote for the Fiat as long as there is a Megane R26.R (though I'm not sure if that exact model is currently in production). :confused: While I'm thinking of it, this is all similar to how I feel about the car list in games like GT. I ask myself... Would I rather have each of Minis in GT4 (maybe 3 with the best being the Cooper S), or would I rather have just one- the Cooper S works?
I'd rather have that one great mini than all the others. With games it's about clutter and using the time and space for other stuff but in this sort of contest it's about the drive. [/rant]

In all of these contests I will vote for the car I'd want for a day, not 6 years. :sly:
 
Last edited:
It's that same sort of philosophy that keeps me on about an internet contest v. a real life decision. That is to say, when I bought the most recent car in my life, the choice was made with considerations for a 61y/o man, 55y/o woman, 23y/o man, and myself... Needless to say, my Corolla was a solid choice but not the super light, rwd, manual transmission, stripper model I would rather use for transportation. :p

Of course, relative to the subject at hand...
I don't think I could vote for the Fiat as long as there is a Megane R26.R (though I'm not sure if that exact model is currently in production). :confused: While I'm thinking of it, this is all similar to how I feel about the car list in games like GT. I ask myself... Would I rather have each of Minis in GT4 (maybe 3 with the best being the Cooper S), or would I rather have just one- the Cooper S works?
I'd rather have that one great mini than all the others. With games it's about clutter and using the time and space for other stuff but in this sort of contest it's about the drive. [/rant]

In all of these contests I will vote for the car I'd want for a day, not 6 years. :sly:

I'd have the diferent versions if they had different engines. The Mini has the one 4cyl in different power levels, where say the Audi R8 could have the petrol V8 and the diesel V12, I'd have both of them in the game.
 
I voted for the 500. Its one of many cars that I'm rather upset over not getting here in the States. Its beautiful, from what I understand its fun to drive, and I know that its pretty fuel efficent. Without seeing one, I nearly prefer it to the MINI, its just that damn good of a car. Something that we could really use right now.

Pitty that the Fiesta will spoil it when that shows up next year.
 
Well, I haven't driven any recent mercs, but I have driven Punto, and that two-mode powersteering was something I'd rather forget. I always turned off the city mode just to have some sort of steering feedback.. but I'll still go for FIAT 500. Small cars for small guys. :D with the Merc, I would be worried every time I leave it on the parking lot, or drive it in for service..
 
I vote FIAT 500, and not the irrelevant, extortionate penis extention.
 
I vote FIAT 500, and not the irrelevant, extortionate penis extention.

Compensation is the other way around, guys buy small cars so they feel "big" in their small interiors.:p
 
While the Fiat 500 doesn't set my heart afire... not like the Mini... I actually think about it from time to time, and it's on my "desirable" list. Until the "Best Car" series started... I hadn't even heard about the SL65... and I'm still not really that interested (again... beating that dead horse... if only, if only the C63 AMG had made it through...)
 
I think the Black is screwing with my head. Logically, I should vote for the 500. Then I look at the SL. Yeah.

I'm so shallow sometimes.
 
GF's 500 is 2 weeks old and its already broken. Something about the brakes really squeeling and the car pulling strongly to one side. Disapointing as I recommended the car to her, and usually wouldnt recommend a italian car due to reliablitly but really thought FIAT had sorted itself out over the past couple years. Perhaps not.
Voted for the german.
 
I'd have the diferent versions if they had different engines. The Mini has the one 4cyl in different power levels, where say the Audi R8 could have the petrol V8 and the diesel V12, I'd have both of them in the game.

The current MINI line up has three different engines, or two if you are counting blocks.

There is the 1.4L Prince from the MINI One, the 1.6L Prince in both N/A form and turbocharged, and the 1.6L Peugeot/Ford DV6 diesel out of a Cooper D. This is just going by the R55, R56, and upcoming R57's.

The last generation MINI used two different engines as well the 1.4L Trtitec from Toyota, they also have a N/A and supercharged 1.6L version of it. There was also a 1.4L 1ND-TV Toyota diesel engine.
 
The current MINI line up has three different engines, or two if you are counting blocks.

There is the 1.4L Prince from the MINI One, the 1.6L Prince in both N/A form and turbocharged, and the 1.6L Peugeot/Ford DV6 diesel out of a Cooper D. This is just going by the R55, R56, and upcoming R57's.

The last generation MINI used two different engines as well the 1.4L Trtitec from Toyota, they also have a N/A and supercharged 1.6L version of it. There was also a 1.4L 1ND-TV Toyota diesel engine.

So I'd have the diesel and the best petrol 4cyl supercharged and N/A. I was actually referring to engine types, like I wouldn't want both an LS3 and LS7 Corvette in GT5, because they are both N/A petrol V8s I'll have just the Z06 and ZR1 (because it's worthy :p) For lower powered uses in the range of the LS3 I'd just use a C5 Z06.:)
 
The last generation MINI used two different engines as well the 1.4L Trtitec from Toyota, they also have a N/A and supercharged 1.6L version of it.
I've read that the old Mini Tritec was a smaller bore version of the Neon engine. Also, Tritec was a Dodge/Rover collaboration.

neanderthal
And after some respected members "poo poohed" it, it finds itself orphaned against the might of the Fiat 500s befuddled by its sudden unpopularity.
I think that is unfair. I voted for the 500 and the SL65 is every respective thread they were in (as I'm sure many others did), and continued to vote for the SL65 long after people started complaining about it.
 
I've read that the old Mini Tritec was a smaller bore version of the Neon engine. Also, Tritec was a Dodge/Rover collaboration.

Ya that's right, I don't know why I thought Toyota.
 
See that's the problem with a lot of people, they dismiss a car like the Fiat 500 because they don't find it manly. Are you really that insecure about yourself that you can't see pass the stereotype of a car? Driving a MINI I get the "so why do you have a girl's car" all the time and I've learned just to ignore it. I wouldn't consider the 500 as a girls car at all, it's more of a young, trendy person's vehicle if anything.
 
See that's the problem with a lot of people, they dismiss a car like the Fiat 500 because they don't find it manly. Are you really that insecure about yourself that you can't see pass the stereotype of a car? Driving a MINI I get the "so why do you have a girl's car" all the time and I've learned just to ignore it. I wouldn't consider the 500 as a girls car at all, it's more of a young, trendy person's vehicle if anything.

Dear gawd Joey, we were just having some fun. Lighten up.
 
I voted for the car that exists.
 
See that's the problem with a lot of people, they dismiss a car like the Fiat 500 because they don't find it manly. Are you really that insecure about yourself that you can't see pass the stereotype of a car? Driving a MINI I get the "so why do you have a girl's car" all the time and I've learned just to ignore it. I wouldn't consider the 500 as a girls car at all, it's more of a young, trendy person's vehicle if anything.

I think it's because men are prone to be bigger, stronger, and have less finesse than the "finer" sex, hence we are thought to be meant to be driving the cars that are bigger (displacement), stronger (muscular appearance), and have less finesse (physical body size of the car). Just the way things are, if that many people really are asking you that, maybe it is a chick's car.
 
Back