• 518 comments

PeterJB

Compulsive Handwasher
Premium
United Kingdom
Corsham
lipming
Circuit_Interlagos.png

And so we've reached the season finale, and what a season it has been. We've had surprises, disappointments, upsets, new talent emerging, and old talent fading.

But out of all this chaos, two drivers have come out on top. The unreliable but fast Ferrari of Felipe Massa and the brittle, but modern McLaren of Lewis Hamilton.

Lewis has a seven-point lead but Felipe has one advantage; he's racing in front of his home crowd at a track he excels at.

Who will be the 2008 Formula One Champion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Massa will have a new engine and Hamilton's will be on its second race, so I'd say the race will be Massa's. Reliability, Driver errors and other driver incidents excepted, Hamilton should win the championship.

Total points before the Brazilian GP:
Hamilton 94
Massa 87

If Massa wins, and Hamilton finishes 6th 5th or better, then Lewis still wins the world driver's championship. But Massa must finish more than 6 5 places ahead of Hamilton to win the title, if Felipe wins the race. With a 6th place, and assuming a Massa win, Hamilton Massa breaks the tie in points, based on more wins than his rival.

If Massa comes in 2nd, Lewis must finish in at least in 8th place to claim the title. If Hamilton's out of the points, then Massa still must finish first or second-place finish to have a hope of winning the championship title.

The year's point scores per driver, so far:

1st place: Hamilton 5, Massa 5. (Thanks Famine.)
2nd place: Hamilton 2, Massa 2
3rd place: Hamilton 3, Massa 2
5th place: Hamilton 2, Massa 1
6th place: Hamilton 0, Massa 1
7th place: Hamilton 1, Massa 1

4th and 8th places: (none for each driver)

Last edited:
As much as I hate saying it, Hamilton is likely to win it overall. The only way I can see it going really badly for him is if he's over-eager and decides he'll try and win the championship with a race win, in which case he tends to get over-excited and loses out for it. Ron Dennis is likely to tell him to aim for a solid finish and bank some points rather than win the race because that's a risky move, especially if he doesn't qualify well or has issues mid-race. I still want to see Massa win it though, if only because he's the lesser of two evils.

But at least if Hamilton wins it, we won't have to put up with James Allen talking about it for the rest of the season because this is the ret of the season and the BBC aren't taking on his services (there really is a God!).

1st place: Hamilton 5, Massa 4
2nd place: Hamilton 2, Massa 2
3rd place: Hamilton 3, Massa 2
4th place: (none)
5th place: Hamilton 2, Massa 1
6th place: Hamilton 0, Massa 1
7th place: Hamilton 1, Massa 1
8th place: (none)

I've got them on 5 wins each going into the race...

1st: Ham 5; Mas 5
2nd: Ham 2; Mas 2
3rd: Ham 3; Mas 2
4th: None
5th: Ham 2; Mas 1
6th: Ham 0; Mas 1
7th: Ham 1; Mas 1
8th: None

So if Massa wins, he wins the title unless Hamilton finishes 5th or better. If Hamilton finishes 6th and ties Massa for points, Massa wins on countback for 6 wins to 5.

Possibilities:
Massa wins
Massa 1st; Hamilton 6th or lower - if Hamilton 6th, Massa wins on countback, 6 wins to 5
Massa 2nd; Hamilton 8th or lower - if Hamilton 8th, Massa wins on countback, 3 2nds to 2
Hamilton wins
Any other result

You just know that James Allen is going to explode trying to work all the possiable points/position/count-back permutations out during the race.

Not that I imagine too many people will be sad to see him go after this race, but he's going to be seriously bloody annoying during the race.

Scaff

Incidentally, I'd like to place my vote for both McLarens and one other random team (probably Williams) being spuriously disqualified by the stewards after the race for worn undertrays.

;)

Incidentally, I'd like to place my vote for both McLarens and one other random team (probably Williams) being spuriously disqualified by the stewards after the race for worn undertrays.

;)

Nope, it will be for fuel stored at and used at the wrong temperature, as that would allow for the maximum lack of consistency in the application of the rules.

:ouch:

Scaff

I reckon the Ferrari undertrays will be just as worn, but it'll be attributed to one particular kerb (or running over some stray bodywork) and be found not to be the team at fault - unlike the McLarens, who were just running too low.

Lewis will probably be disqualified for taking the correct racing line at turn 4!

I can't count.

Although I doubt there will be any disqualifications for anything other than obvious cheating or rule-breaking.

I imagine Hamilton letting the Ferraris ahead to race off into the sunset, and contending with the Alonso's Renault (hey, let him by this time!) and the BMW-Saubers.

Last edited:
Alonso has said, in some form or another, that he would try and help Massa win the title. What's the bet, that Alonso takes out Hamilton in the first corner, with some kind of "brake failure". :sly:

Alonso has said, in some form or another, that he would try and help Massa win the title. What's the bet, that Alonso takes out Hamilton in the first corner, with some kind of "brake failure". :sly:

As with a lot of the season finales for F1, I have no doubts this one will have its fair share of controversey.
I'm just waiting for something like Australia 1994 to happen again....:rolleyes:

I think the FIA are going to be savvy to suspension failures; they certainly leared from Adelaide '94 when Schumacher tried it at Jerez three years later. If Alonso tries to kamikaze Hamilton, he's bound to be punished for it. They won't exactly be able to re-instate Hamilton is he retires simply because he was conending for the title; while he deserves his shot, he doesn't deserve two bites at the apple, as unfair as it my seem. And besides, there are no guarantees that Hamilton would even win otherwise; for all we know, his engine would give out within the space of five laps.

No, I suspect we might see some blocking this time around, so it's going to be a race to see who can drive the slowest. Raikkonen and Alonso will do everything to aid Massa, while Kovalainen will be out there helping Hamilton. It's just a question of where the likes of Heidfeld, Kubica and possibly Vettel will lay their alleigances.

I'm also predicting that if Hamilton doesn't win, McLaren will move to have otehr teams disqualified or technical breaches, but only ask forthe drivers that finished ahead of Hamilton to be disqualified.

I'm also predicting that if Hamilton doesn't win, McLaren will move to have otehr teams disqualified or technical breaches, but only ask forthe drivers that finished ahead of Hamilton to be disqualified.

It's like Déjà vu all over again.

Well well well.

Here we are again. Has it really been a year?

Hamilton can't throw it away again can he? Surely Ferrari can't steal it from behind and win again can they? We wont see A Brazilian win the World title on his home track will we?

You bet your life we won't.

To see Hamilton and McLaren throw away this lead would be a travesty. The simple simple task of bringing a car home in the top 5 shouldn't be made hard work and should be complete. However to see Massa win it would be something. I'd love to see him win it but I think is just to impossible for Lewis to lose it.

Quali:
Massa
Hamilton
Kimi

Race:
Massa
Kimi
Hamilton

I really would hate to see Lewis blow the championship by trying to win the race. Not that I wouldn't like Massa to win. I like Massa. The reason I don't want Lewis to blow it is because of all ranting and raving by both sides I will have to endure until next season. All the myopic Lewis fanboys complaining that the "Ferrari International Assitance" stole the championship from the Messiah. All the Lewis bashers saying that Lewis is a spoiled brat that was given a great car on a silver platter and doesn't have what it takes to be a champion. Not that anyone here would do that...

Ugh!! I hope Massa wins the race and Lewis wins the championship and everyone just shuts up for a while.

All the myopic Lewis fanboys complaining that the "Ferrari International Assitance" stole the championship from the Messiah.
Well, we clearly know the FIA are doing no such thing as some guy names Jesus is the Messiah, not Lewis Hamilton.

A great big puff of smoke with 5 laps remaining after hamilton would otherwise have cruised to victory would be brilliant.

Well I wouldn't bet on anything just yet. ;) Who knows what will happen to both of them, they may both even retire on the same lap. :lol: But I think this should set up nicely for a season finale, whatever the outcome might be....... 👍

Could hamilton be one of the great drivers NEVER to win a championship, even when he's had finger tips brushing the trophy twice ..................some how I don't think so.I am a betting man and I woudn't bet on it!!!!!

Could hamilton be one of the great drivers NEVER to win a championship, even when he's had finger tips brushing the trophy twice ..................some how I don't think so.I am a betting man and I woudn't bet on it!!!!!

Eh, if he never won a championship, I wouldn't call him a great driver then, he clearly never had what it takes in his mindset. The great drivers who never won the championship or won a race are called great drivers because they didn't win because of either the car, the team or some other factor that didn't have anything to do with their driving. In this case, I would say the factor Lewis never won would be because he just can't keep his cool when it comes down to it.

All the Lewis bashers saying that Lewis is a spoiled brat that was given a great car on a silver platter and doesn't have what it takes to be a champion. Not that anyone here would do that...

People would say that just as equally if he won, saying that he won because of the car. The thing is, when has a champion ever won without the most (or at least, 2nd most) superior car? ;)

I don't mind who wins really, but clearly Lewis has the best chances as long as he keeps his cool and doesn't try and win the race again in a retarded fashion. As Massa has said, this is a fairly normal race for him, he just needs to win and hope Hamilton throws it all away.

Last edited:
Alas! Something we disagree on! Meh we all know SebVet has this Championship in the bag!

The IRL has a fan favorite (or something like that) every year. I wonder if Vettel would win that if F1 had something similar? He would certainly get my vote.

The IRL has a fan favorite (or something like that) every year. I wonder if Vettel would win that if F1 had something similar? He would certainly get my vote.

It would be a fight between Kubica and Vettel most likely.

Latest Posts

Back