2008 European Championships (England not included)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Famine, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Famine

Famine Administrator

David Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday held the record for fastest shot from 1996-2006, with a 114mph shot (183km/h) which hit the bar.

Ronny, a Brazilian left-back playing for Sporting Lisbon, beat that in 2006 with a 130mph shot (221km/h) from a free-kick - so fast that it is hard to even spot the ball on the video footage of it.

2. daan

daan Moderator

Typical Wednesday player there. You don't get nothing for the hardest shot. Now if only he'd hit it slower, gravity would have had a chance to bring the ball back down under the bar... :idea:

3. Famine

Famine Administrator

I'm amazed he only hit the bar.

Mind you, that's pretty much the story of his life.

4. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Premium

Sooo sorry that Austria didn't manage to score that single goal needed -

And then see France and Italy FAIL epic tonight !.... That would really make my day EC !...

5. RouWa

RouWa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSzwIBeihXA
    (How does the YouTube tag works?)

I don't think the ball was 221 km/h fast.

About 20 years ago they measured the power of every player in the German league. The players kicked a few penalties into an empty goal and the fastest shot counted. The record was 141 km/h.

It's hard to believe that someone can do 180 km/h or more unless the ball is in the air when the player hits it.

6. Denur

Denur Premium

Well, I hope not, but the Dutch are starting with an all new (and improved??) team tonight: Stekelenburg; Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Bouma, De Cler; De Zeeuw, Engelaar; Van Persie, Afellay, Robben; Huntelaar. :nervous:

7. Muzaffar

Muzaffar Premium

No, I really hope so! :D Just like how Portugal lost to Switzerland. ;) I don't want to see neither Italy or France going into the quarter finals, cause they will embarrass themselves. :grumpy:

8. Beerz

Beerz Premium

You have to put whatever's after the '=' inside the youtube tags . Hope that helps. :tup:

Don't forget balls nowadays are way lighter and faster than they were 20 (or even 10) years ago, it's pretty much possible to hit 200 kph in a shot.

9. Denur

Denur Premium

And that's why I would love to see either in the quarter finals, to embarress themselves even more. :sly:
    Besides, Romania shouldn't even be in the tournament (they are just not good enough) :idea:

10. Famine

Famine Administrator

They were good enough to top Holland's qualifying group...

They've also held the World Champions and World Cup Finalists to a draw each.

11. DQuaN

DQuaN Premium

France down to 10men and Italy have a penalty!

*edit* 1-0 Italy.

Only 25 minutes gone and France are 1 nil down and have to play the rest of the game a man short.

12. Only_in_f1

Only_in_f1

Toni should have scored at least 3 now.

13. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

I thought Toni went down like a sack of spuds, but he controlled the ball well and gave Abidal very little chance of getting away with a clean tackle. I think it's curtains for France - they don't deserve to go through, they've been utterly abysmal in this tournament and I regret betting £2 on them to win :ouch:

14. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

It's official.. I've turned into my own Dad... I step out of the room for 20 seconds and someone scores :ouch:

15. Denur

Denur Premium

Some sad news: Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz's yesterday new-born child has died today. :(

16. DQuaN

DQuaN Premium

Oh man that is awful. I assume he wont be taking any further part in the tournament then.

17. Denur

Denur Premium

Actually, he remains part of the selection, has just been announced by Marco van Basten (coach).

18. Muzaffar

Muzaffar Premium

A short summary from the last few games:

Netherlands 2-0 Romania
    That was really gonna be expected as they were the top goal scoring team in euro, but I wished that they would give Romania a chance to win..... :(

France 0-2 Italy
    Two idiot teams playing against each other, with only 1 idiot team going to the quarter finals. One of Frances players got red carded and it was the end of their euro cup run..... :tdown: Good play by Italy though (even with their sub par standards....)

Greece 1-2 Spain
    Similar to Holland, Spain were one of the top scoring team as well. Even when they we trailing at the end of the first half, they manage to even the game at the 60th minute and scored the winning goal a few minutes near the end. A good game none the less.....

Russia 2-0 Sweden
    Didn't watch the game, but a heartbreak for Swedish fans as they didn't make it to the quarter finals. I think Russia has beed performing well as the underdogs of the tournament much like Croatia, and I am keen to see how far they will go...... :)

So now, onto the quarter finals.....

Today: Portugal vs. Germany (will watch this game later no doubt)
    Tomorrow: Croatia vs. Turkey (yet another good game to watch)
    Saturday: Netherlands vs. Russia (a tough game for Russia, Holland is going for the win)
    Sunday: Spain vs. Italy (I bet Spain is going to make Italy look like a fool that they are.....)

19. Stevisiov

Stevisiov Premium

Football technology has improved considerably, while it seems that a football is a football, recent footballs are much lighter they have even done away with stitches to save weight. Not saying thats the only contributing factor but 20 years ago the footballs where quite different to what they are now. Well apart from the fact the are round and similar sizes :D

20. Muzaffar

Muzaffar Premium

Portugal 2-3 Germany
    :banghead:

That's it, I was downright speechless when I saw Germany walking away with the win. Portugal had been playing outstandingly during the last few games, only to lose to Germany with their poor free kick defending. :tdown: Bloody hell, I can't comment on such a big loss like that :grumpy:

Next game is Croatia vs. Turkey and I hope to see a better game than the last one. Hopefully, Croatia will beat Turkey like they did when they were in the group stage. Croatia has been playing outstandingly and prove they are really the dark horses in the tournament..... :D:tup:

21. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Damn, Turkey is one hell of a crazy team. They won't die. :lol: Let's see how they do in the penalty shootout.

22. RouWa

RouWa

Epic fail, Croatia. Conceiving a goal a few seconds before the game ends and then missing three penalties.

23. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Yeah, they totally blew it.

Now if Turkey beats Germany I will be totally shocked. They won't even have half their starters.

24. Dave A

Dave A Premium

I think if Croatia had gone into that shootout and the score was still 0-0 the result might have been different. To lose the lead right at the end after such a short time from taking it must have killed thier morale. I don't think we'll see much of a game in the next round, Turkey have about half of thier team suspended and Germany have started playing decently, I think Turkey are as good as out now anyway.

25. RouWa

RouWa

I'm glad I don't bet. Or even worse bet for money. Surely many people lost money so far. :)

I wonder how Spain and The Netherlands will play. It doesn't help to play three awesome games in the group stage. One bad game in the knock-out stage is one bad game too much.

As I said before, the best team will not necessarily win the tournament.

26. daan

daan Moderator

Turkey seems to be doing a Greece. We never thought Greece would win it the last time...

27. Robin

Robin Premium

I really took an interest in Turkey from the start and after possibly the best 15 mins of football ever played in the last decade against the Czech Republic I am rooting for them to go all the way.... they play such crazy matches and this one tonight was another crowd pleaser. When Croatia scored everyone thought it was all over... and Turkey again wouldn't die!

Robin

28. daan

daan Moderator

Yeah, but if Germany play as they can, Turkey will be stuffed...

29. Rainmaster

Rainmaster (Banned)

that would be a wrong reference. because greece play very defensive. they are killing the term of football. turkey is not playing that much boring. from 2-0 to 2-3 in last 15 minutes.
    how can you imagine that greece could do that with their very limited and defensive play? never!

germans next :)

30. Dave A

Dave A Premium

He wasn't talking about thier style of play, he was talking about them both massively over achieving results wise.