2008 European Championships (England not included)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 253 comments
The German TV measured the shot with 130 km/h, a foreign TV station with 122.

Holy 🤬 If the keeper tried to save it, it would be like getting hit by a cannon ball..... :crazy:

David Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday held the record for fastest shot from 1996-2006, with a 114mph shot (183km/h) which hit the bar.

Ronny, a Brazilian left-back playing for Sporting Lisbon, beat that in 2006 with a 130mph shot (221km/h) from a free-kick - so fast that it is hard to even spot the ball on the video footage of it.

David Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday held the record for fastest shot from 1996-2006, with a 114mph shot (183km/h) which hit the bar.
Typical Wednesday player there. You don't get nothing for the hardest shot. Now if only he'd hit it slower, gravity would have had a chance to bring the ball back down under the bar... 💡

I'm amazed he only hit the bar.

Mind you, that's pretty much the story of his life.

Holy 🤬 If the keeper tried to save it, it would be like getting hit by a cannon ball..... :crazy:

But yeah, the results:

Austria 0-1 Germany 👎
Poland 0-1 Croatia :D

Hey, now at least Croatia is getting somewhere..... but now, the important matches tonight:

Netherlands vs. Romania (lets hope Romania wins this :D)
France vs. Italy (lets hope both team manage a draw, a sure FAIL for the 2006 World cup finalists. 👎)

I just can see the headlines saying both world cup finalists fails to make an impression in Euro 2008. Serves them right for having such an old team.... :D

Sooo sorry that Austria didn't manage to score that single goal needed -

And then see France and Italy FAIL epic tonight !.... That would really make my day EC !...

Ronny, a Brazilian left-back playing for Sporting Lisbon, beat that in 2006 with a 130mph shot (221km/h) from a free-kick - so fast that it is hard to even spot the ball on the video footage of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSzwIBeihXA
(How does the YouTube tag works?)

I don't think the ball was 221 km/h fast.

About 20 years ago they measured the power of every player in the German league. The players kicked a few penalties into an empty goal and the fastest shot counted. The record was 141 km/h.

It's hard to believe that someone can do 180 km/h or more unless the ball is in the air when the player hits it.

Netherlands vs. Romania (lets hope Romania wins this :D)
Well, I hope not, but the Dutch are starting with an all new (and improved??) team tonight: Stekelenburg; Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Bouma, De Cler; De Zeeuw, Engelaar; Van Persie, Afellay, Robben; Huntelaar. :nervous:

Well, I hope not, but the Dutch are starting with an all new (and improved??) team tonight: Stekelenburg; Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Bouma, De Cler; De Zeeuw, Engelaar; Van Persie, Afellay, Robben; Huntelaar. :nervous:

No, I really hope so! :D Just like how Portugal lost to Switzerland. ;) I don't want to see neither Italy or France going into the quarter finals, cause they will embarrass themselves. :grumpy:

You have to put whatever's after the '=' inside the youtube tags . Hope that helps. 👍

About 20 years ago they measured the power of every player in the German league. The players kicked a few penalties into an empty goal and the fastest shot counted. The record was 141 km/h.

It's hard to believe that someone can do 180 km/h or more unless the ball is in the air when the player hits it.

Don't forget balls nowadays are way lighter and faster than they were 20 (or even 10) years ago, it's pretty much possible to hit 200 kph in a shot.

No, I really hope so! :D Just like how Portugal lost to Switzerland. ;) I don't want to see neither Italy or France going into the quarter finals, cause they will embarrass themselves. :grumpy:
And that's why I would love to see either in the quarter finals, to embarress themselves even more. :sly:
Besides, Romania shouldn't even be in the tournament (they are just not good enough) 💡

They were good enough to top Holland's qualifying group...

They've also held the World Champions and World Cup Finalists to a draw each.

France down to 10men and Italy have a penalty!

*edit* 1-0 Italy.

Only 25 minutes gone and France are 1 nil down and have to play the rest of the game a man short.

I thought Toni went down like a sack of spuds, but he controlled the ball well and gave Abidal very little chance of getting away with a clean tackle. I think it's curtains for France - they don't deserve to go through, they've been utterly abysmal in this tournament and I regret betting £2 on them to win :ouch:

It's official.. I've turned into my own Dad... I step out of the room for 20 seconds and someone scores :ouch:

Some sad news: Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz's yesterday new-born child has died today. :(

Oh man that is awful. I assume he wont be taking any further part in the tournament then.

Actually, he remains part of the selection, has just been announced by Marco van Basten (coach).

A short summary from the last few games:

Netherlands 2-0 Romania
That was really gonna be expected as they were the top goal scoring team in euro, but I wished that they would give Romania a chance to win..... :(

France 0-2 Italy
Two idiot teams playing against each other, with only 1 idiot team going to the quarter finals. One of Frances players got red carded and it was the end of their euro cup run..... 👎 Good play by Italy though (even with their sub par standards....)

Greece 1-2 Spain
Similar to Holland, Spain were one of the top scoring team as well. Even when they we trailing at the end of the first half, they manage to even the game at the 60th minute and scored the winning goal a few minutes near the end. A good game none the less.....

Russia 2-0 Sweden
Didn't watch the game, but a heartbreak for Swedish fans as they didn't make it to the quarter finals. I think Russia has beed performing well as the underdogs of the tournament much like Croatia, and I am keen to see how far they will go...... :)

So now, onto the quarter finals.....

Today: Portugal vs. Germany (will watch this game later no doubt)
Tomorrow: Croatia vs. Turkey (yet another good game to watch)
Saturday: Netherlands vs. Russia (a tough game for Russia, Holland is going for the win)
Sunday: Spain vs. Italy (I bet Spain is going to make Italy look like a fool that they are.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSzwIBeihXA
(How does the YouTube tag works?)

Football technology has improved considerably, while it seems that a football is a football, recent footballs are much lighter they have even done away with stitches to save weight. Not saying thats the only contributing factor but 20 years ago the footballs where quite different to what they are now. Well apart from the fact the are round and similar sizes :D

Portugal 2-3 Germany
:banghead:

That's it, I was downright speechless when I saw Germany walking away with the win. Portugal had been playing outstandingly during the last few games, only to lose to Germany with their poor free kick defending. 👎 Bloody hell, I can't comment on such a big loss like that :grumpy:

Next game is Croatia vs. Turkey and I hope to see a better game than the last one. Hopefully, Croatia will beat Turkey like they did when they were in the group stage. Croatia has been playing outstandingly and prove they are really the dark horses in the tournament..... :D:tup:

Damn, Turkey is one hell of a crazy team. They won't die. :lol: Let's see how they do in the penalty shootout.

Epic fail, Croatia. Conceiving a goal a few seconds before the game ends and then missing three penalties.

Yeah, they totally blew it.

Now if Turkey beats Germany I will be totally shocked. They won't even have half their starters.

I think if Croatia had gone into that shootout and the score was still 0-0 the result might have been different. To lose the lead right at the end after such a short time from taking it must have killed thier morale. I don't think we'll see much of a game in the next round, Turkey have about half of thier team suspended and Germany have started playing decently, I think Turkey are as good as out now anyway.

I'm glad I don't bet. Or even worse bet for money. Surely many people lost money so far. :)

I wonder how Spain and The Netherlands will play. It doesn't help to play three awesome games in the group stage. One bad game in the knock-out stage is one bad game too much.

As I said before, the best team will not necessarily win the tournament.

Turkey seems to be doing a Greece. We never thought Greece would win it the last time...

I really took an interest in Turkey from the start and after possibly the best 15 mins of football ever played in the last decade against the Czech Republic I am rooting for them to go all the way.... they play such crazy matches and this one tonight was another crowd pleaser. When Croatia scored everyone thought it was all over... and Turkey again wouldn't die!

Robin

Turkey seems to be doing a Greece. We never thought Greece would win it the last time...

that would be a wrong reference. because greece play very defensive. they are killing the term of football. turkey is not playing that much boring. from 2-0 to 2-3 in last 15 minutes.
how can you imagine that greece could do that with their very limited and defensive play? never!

germans next :)

He wasn't talking about thier style of play, he was talking about them both massively over achieving results wise.

Back