Starting with Ferrari's.

I like!

89834.jpg

89838.jpg

89835.jpg

89839.jpg

89837.jpg

New Ferrari Techincal Lowdown

The F2008 is the fifty fourth single-seater built by Ferrari specifically to take part in the Formula 1 World Championship. The design, codenamed internally as the 659, represents the Scuderia's interpretation of the regulations in force in 2008. A major new element of these is the introduction of a new electronic system to be used by all teams, known as SECU (Standard Electronic Control Unit).

It consists of a single control unit and a software system, the development of which ends as the season begins. Other areas affected by rule changes are: gearbox, which must be used for four consecutive events; safety, with the introduction of higher side protection around the driver's helmet; materials, with a limit to the type of composites that can be used. As a result of these rules, there has been an increase in the weight of the car. All aerodynamic surfaces have been completely revised, however the current version will be replaced by a completely different configuration in time for the first race. In fact, an intensive and all encompassing development programme is planned to run throughout the season. The monococque has been further cut away under the driver's legs and the side pods and engine cover are more tapered. The suspension system has been reworked and developed around the new aerodynamics.

The wheelbase and weight distribution have been adapted to meet the challenge of the new regulations and on the basis of lessons learned last year in terms of the performance of the Bridgestone tyres. Changes to the technical and sporting regulations in terms of electronics, alongside the introduction of the SECU, have led to the removal of a host of a driver aids, such as traction control and engine breaking and the electronically assosted starting system, and also mean that management of the differential, engine and gearchange are much simpler. The gearbox casing is produced in carbon, while the transmission continues to be mounted longitudinally. For the second consecutive year the gearchange is fitted with a quick shift system, adapted to the SECU software and further speeded up. In dealing with the reliability aspect of the new regulations, Shell has played a key role in defining the lubricants for the gearbox. The braking system has been updated with new callipers and innovative concepts regarding cooling.

The 056 engine is mounted longitudinally and continues as a load bearing element. Its basic structure remains unchanged compared to the unit homologated at the start of last season, while its auxiliary systems, air and fuel intakes have been further developed. The technical regulations also call for the use of fuel corresponding to European Union norms, with a content of components derived from biological sources equal to 5.75%. As usual, during the design and development stages of the entire car, our technical partners played an important role. Apart from previously mentioned significant input from Shell , also worthy of note is the contribution of the Fiat Research Centre, especially in providing simulation systems and Brembo for its work in developing the braking system. As is now traditional, a great deal of attention was paid to the performance and optimising of the materials used at the design stage and through quality control, striving to maximise performance levels while attaining the highest possible safety standards.

Story

Bee
Me no likey. There are bits sticking out all over the place. As soon as its in a wheel to wheel battle with something else, those bits are just going to get bashed off.

It looks good, but as Daan said, there are stupid tiny little parts sticking out all over the shop. I cant see that much of a difference in the wheelbase but I can defientley see a change in the rear wing profile. I was hoping for a more 70-30 red and carbon paintjob but it looks nice overall. I also noticed they havent moved the mirrors which cost Kimi P2 at Monza.

When Lewis got him underbraking into the rettifilo chicane and the commentary were saying the mirrors were badly designed and kimi would have been able to see lewis better, possibly preventing the move altogether.

I don't see any differences from last years car, other then the Toyota-like front wing...

Also, Ferrari really needs to get rid of those stupid rim covers...

When Lewis got him underbraking into the rettifilo chicane and the commentary were saying the mirrors were badly designed and kimi would have been able to see lewis better, possibly preventing the move altogether.

No its because Kimi crashed (in practice was it?) and he hurt his neck thats why we all the G force during breaking from top speed on the stright line he couldn't move his neck

That top view looks so sick. It's like a dragon mixed with an ant.

So is this a joke or is this the real thing?
I only ask because that steering wheels is rediculus. :rolleyes:
I'm glad to see they are puttng more control in the hands of the driver for on the fly adjustments but that steering wheel looks crazy!
Atleast Ferrari is dedicated enough to keep pushing. :cheers:

Kinda upsetting as a driver to not have the Ferrari badge on the wheel!... you want to know whats under you, if you know what I mean...

The car looks ok but theres lots of bits hanging out everywhere and there some kind of sticking out spine running down the back to the rear wing...

I want to see the Mclaren....:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Robin

It looks amazing, but all the same, it appears much too cluttered for its own good. It almost looks as if more than sufficient downforce will be produced by all those wings and everything else.

The 80s-early 90s cars were very clean by comparison.

And, won't the McLaren look exactly the same, as stated by the penalty given to the team?

No its because Kimi crashed (in practice was it?) and he hurt his neck thats why we all the G force during breaking from top speed on the stright line he couldn't move his neck

From the 6th gear rev limiter to 2nd gear on the monza straight, no one would be able to move their neck under full braking.

From the 6th gear rev limiter to 2nd gear on the monza straight, no one would be able to move their neck under full braking.

One with a healthy neck can ;)

http://kimi-raikkonen-f1.blogspot.com/2007/10/raikkonen-to-race-with-stiff-sore-neck.html

Spanish newspaper 'As' says the Ferrari driver's pain increased throughout the evening, and he arrived at the circuit on Sunday barely able to move his head from side to side. It is not believed that the muscle soreness will cause him to sit out the race, but Raikkonen told the Swiss newspaper Blick: "My neck does hurt quite a lot and it is completely stiff. I can hardly move.

"But it's nothing really bad or anything and I look forward to the race."

F1 drivers train hard , and most importantly their neck because of the G forces they face

Looks great. 👍 But you guys should remember that just about all of the aerodynamic surfaces are the same as they were on last years car, there is a major new aero package coming before Melbourne.

Are those really the hubcaps? They look like covers from the High-Res.

Yes, shaped to extract heat from the brakes, and, specifically on the Ferrari, from the tyres themselves using a technique which cost McLaren 100mil to find out. ;)

just about all of the aerodynamic surfaces are the same as they were on last years car

Apart from that fugatz front wing. That merge with the nose looks awkward.

Who else? I thought cancer stick sponsorship was banned starting 2008, but it must be starting in 2009 ...
Yep, its banned from 2009. Marlboro will still appear on the cars in China, Japan & Bahrain. The barcode will be there everywhere else.

Thought I'd quickly rename the thread so we can cover all teams here. :)

What? what's this, some new Mecha-Racing Anime from Japa...

...IT'S FERRARI'S FORMULA 1 CAR???

Okay, let's get some underbody tunnels on these things and clean up the design. Geez Louise, that thing looks like if it hit you, you'd be minced to nice neat little pieces instead of splattered all over the road. It has that overtechnical look of a Japanese Mecha Cartoon. Gundam Wing or Transformers or something.

This is windtunnel design at it's most influental. I doubt the other top teams will look any better. stupid flat bottoms.

Yep, its banned from 2009. Marlboro will still appear on the cars in China, Japan & Bahrain. The barcode will be there everywhere else.
Why not some sort of second major sponsor(Coca-Cola?) or the Ferrari name in it's place? Just a thought.

What? what's this, some new Mecha-Racing Anime from Japa...

...IT'S FERRARI'S FORMULA 1 CAR???

Okay, let's get some underbody tunnels on these things and clean up the design. Geez Louise, that thing looks like if it hit you, you'd be minced to nice neat little pieces instead of splattered all over the road. It has that overtechnical look of a Japanese Mecha Cartoon. Gundam Wing or Transformers or something.

This is windtunnel design at it's most influental. I doubt the other top teams will look any better. stupid flat bottoms.
You a anime fan like I am Jim? :D Sounds like it from what you just wrote. ;)

I pretty muck like the body design as well. Let's hope it preforms as good as it looks. :D

Back