2008 Launch Thread

• Thread starter Lee
  • 458 comments
i wonder what will appear in the spot then?
Bee
Probablly some kind of alcaholic drink, Martini anyone?
I would say something that fits in with the red like McDonald's, or Coca-Cola as was mentioned.

And daan has the most probable answer:

Yep, its banned from 2009. Marlboro will still appear on the cars in China, Japan & Bahrain. The barcode will be there everywhere else.

...Just like this year.

Can't wait to see it moving :D

The cluttered design makes more and more sense as I look at it. You can visibly see changes such as the higher side-protection, the smoothed-out surfaces, and something which is, simply, beyond awesome: It actually curves slightly below the point where the driver's feet will be.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/07/mclaren-reveals-mp4-23-in-stuttgart/

89878.jpg

89872.jpg

89870.jpg

hmmm less aggressive anteater nose.

OMG REAR WING, FERRARI HAX!

I thought that didn't matter. Are'nt the rules that the numbers on the cars are decided by the drivers championship position in the past season?

Well only the champion is given the number he finished at in the year before, hence why Alonso brought number 1 to McLaren last season even though McLaren finished 3rd in the standings in '06.

The rest of the numbers (3 to 23) are then determined by the Constructor standings from last season, hence why BMW have 3 and 4 whilst Honda have 16 and 17.

Omnis
Heikki is at McLaren?

Welcome to 2008, seriously.

Love the looks of the F2008. Very nice already, even with the old aero parts. Can't wait until the start of multiteam testings :P What comes to McLaren, well, hasn't really changed in my opinion. The engine cover has a longer curve on top but other than that it must be just the same as with Ferrari that they have just the old aero parts still.
Back to Ferrari, I got to say I'm really happy they decided to shorten the wheel base. I believe it was one of the biggest reasons why they were so off-paced in the tighter tracks.
Looking forward to the season already :dopey:

i've noticed some small changes to the nose of the new McLaren. It's higher up and the curves have been straightened out and the tip of the nose is a bit more blunt and rounded, kind of 2006-Honda style, if ya get me ;)

other than that, can't see any differences. Apart from that and also the "Devil Horns" are gone from the top of the airbox, although that might just be for the launch. Who knows. :)

Who's in the car in that 2nd photo? Do they not like airholes?

Sureshot
What is it then? A football? It's round and it's in the drivers seat, but it's different in the other 2 photos.

We know that McLaren don't like bloaty round airholes in the cockpit... that's why they fired the last one.

*badumtish*

What is it then? A football? It's round and it's in the drivers seat, but it's different in the other 2 photos.

Its part of the car..you know bit behind the drivers head that doesnt really have a name, its just shiny and has a mans arm shadow on it.

Then thats because of the position his team finished in the constructors championship.

Champion and his team mate get 1 and 2,
P2 constructor 3 and 4

etc.

Back