• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 376 comments

Sureboss

Tanned and Lipstick'd
Premium
United Kingdom
UK
Circuit_Monreal.png

One of the quicker laps on the calendar, home of Lewis' first ever win in F1, can he do it again?

We also remember last seasons race for Sato's pass on Alonso, this isn't going to happen this year, due to Super Agurri resigning from the championship.

Can we take anything from the race at Monaco, to use as form? It was a very odd race.

You know, I did already make one of these. :) But mine lacked the big track picture or a decent intro!:dunce:

You know, I did already make one of these. :) But mine lacked the big track picture or a decent intro!:dunce:

REMOVED BY MOD

Now back on topic,

I know Hamilton will feel good coming in this weekend so ill put him as my favorite for the win.

The Ferrari boys are still the best but with Kimi having the shunt in Monaco, he will be more determined to get back up top.

Massa is the same way. His mistake cost him the win so he will need to focus extra hard and get back to winning.

BMW camp, Kubica is consistantly on the podium now so maybe he will put up a surprise. Ill be watching for sure.

Motominded. be more constructive please, just telling people how crap they are ain't gonna help them get better.

I think a good result would be Kubica winning, on the track he had the terrible crash. I think Lewis will come 2nd, and I predict Vettel to do well.

According to weather.com, there will be scattered thunderstorms throughout the weekend, big surprise, right?

I think a good result would be Kubica winning, on the track he had the terrible crash. I think Lewis will come 2nd, and I predict Vettel to do well.

Unless it rains it will be a very good test of the STR3 in dry weather.

I always say that the track kind of resembles the old Hockenheim (not the mediocre and boring new configuration). In fact, playing "Formula 1 World Championship" back in about 1998 for the Nintendo 64, I thought Hockenheim and Montreal were one in the same as far as style. Thing is, this is more technical yet still fast. What I like about this track is the urban surroundings of downtown Montreal. I love tropical and urban settings. This track has wonderful surroudingings and is really a nice course to race around. It's even nice seeing CASCAR and NASCAR Nationwide (I hate mentioning NASCAR in an F1 thread) race this course.

I have a few problem spots on the track. First is Turn 3, a very decisive hairpin bound to cause trouble. Love this hairpin? Meet her brother in Turn 11. Turns 4 and 5 are easy to overshoot, but especially Turns 14 and 15. Get the final two turns wrong, and you'll probably pay for it by stuffing the side of your car into the inside wall.

This is the ONLY North American stop this year, right?

Correct, Indy is fighting for a spot back in '09.

I love Montreal, probably my favourite track of the year, it's got turns that look slow but are deceptively fast and plenty of overtaking oppertunity. The run up to the final hairpin (Turn 11) has some new barriers to stop the kind of shunt Kubica experienced last season. 👍

As for the race, I was gonna say Massa but after reading Studentdriver say it could rain again, I think it could one of a number of drivers, Hamilton was mega at Monaco in changing conditions, he'll be one to keep an eye on, Vettel did very well last time out as did Webber. And would I be a fool to place some money on Sutil getting the Force India on the tail end of the points if the weather goes his way? :P

Should be a good one, and thank god it's on in the evening over here. (I'm also present at the World Series by Renault meet at Silverstone this weekend.)

Bee's Predictions

IF IT'S DRY..

1st: Massa (Guy has been more than a match for Kimi lately, confidence seems to be booming.)
2nd: Hamilton (He'll give Felipe a very hard time after winning here last season)
3rd: Kovalianen (The guy needs a break in the McLaren, also do well to point out his performance here last season, 22nd to 4th)

IF IT'S WET..

1st: Hamilton (Based on his Monaco demolition in wet conditions, as long as he keeps it on the track, it should be a breeze.)
2nd: Kubica (Was on the pace of the Ferrari's at Monaco in the first stint of the race, promising if the rain falls)
3rd: Vettel (Something just gives me a good feeling about him and Mark Webber for this race. Both did very well to finish where they did at Monaco, a repeat perhaps?)

I hope Indianapolis gets it in 2009 because is more than ready to host it and IMS has a hole in the schedule from now until the 400.. and then another hole between the 400 and the Red Bull Grand Prix for the Moto GP! We can make the date Berine, just give us one!!!!! :) :sly: :dopey: Randy

Anyone want to make a wager on who parks it in the Wall of Champions this year?

So far I'm thinking the favourites are Nelsinho Piquet, Giancarlo Fisichella and Kazuki Nakajima. Maybe Timo Glock.

Motominded. be more constructive please, just telling people how crap they are ain't gonna help them get better.

Sorry but i thought it was wasted thread space.

I'm still pushing to see F1 race at Laguna Seca, Miller Motorsports Park, or Barber Motorsports Park. I'm sure they'll need a lot to renovate everything to make them certifiable race courses (though Laguna Seca once has seen FIA GT race there back in the mid-late 1990s including a race at Sebring (track needs GREAT renovation, otherwise not bad to consider)).

Something tells me that either Hamilton or Raikkonen will get it done this weekend. Either/Or for me. If I had to pick, I'd go with Lewis Hamilton.

According to weather.com, there will be scattered thunderstorms throughout the weekend, big surprise, right?
Well..... chances are it does usually rain during free practice and maybe even during Qualifying, but its very likely going to be a dry race comes Sunday. When was the last time did Canada had a full wet race? :dopey: (01, 02, 03?)

I hope Indianapolis gets it in 2009 because is more than ready to host it and IMS has a hole in the schedule from now until the 400.. and then another hole between the 400 and the Red Bull Grand Prix for the Moto GP! We can make the date Berine, just give us one!!!!! :) :sly: :dopey: Randy
Don't count on it. Bernie has a habit of demanding too much from somebody and after the 2005 fiasco, I don't think Bernie is sold to Indy to host the USGP. I thought Bernie wanted to do a race in Las Vegas or something? Oh never mind, all of us just have to wait until the final verdict...... ;)

Other than Piquet and Glock, I think Alonso, Massa or Heikki is gonna blow it big time :dopey: (yes, it will happen to the best of them. Even Michael crashed at the Wall of Champions! :D)

Bee
Correct, Indy is fighting for a spot back in '09.

I love Montreal, probably my favourite track of the year, it's got turns that look slow but are deceptively fast and plenty of overtaking oppertunity. The run up to the final hairpin (Turn 11) has some new barriers to stop the kind of shunt Kubica experienced last season. 👍

As for the race, I was gonna say Massa but after reading Studentdriver say it could rain again, I think it could one of a number of drivers, Hamilton was mega at Monaco in changing conditions, he'll be one to keep an eye on, Vettel did very well last time out as did Webber. And would I be a fool to place some money on Sutil getting the Force India on the tail end of the points if the weather goes his way? :P

Should be a good one, and thank god it's on in the evening over here. (I'm also present at the World Series by Renault meet at Silverstone this weekend.)

Bee's Predictions

IF IT'S DRY..

1st: Massa (Guy has been more than a match for Kimi lately, confidence seems to be booming.)
2nd: Hamilton (He'll give Felipe a very hard time after winning here last season)
3rd: Kovalianen (The guy needs a break in the McLaren, also do well to point out his performance here last season, 22nd to 4th)

IF IT'S WET..

1st: Hamilton (Based on his Monaco demolition in wet conditions, as long as he keeps it on the track, it should be a breeze.)
2nd: Kubica (Was on the pace of the Ferrari's at Monaco in the first stint of the race, promising if the rain falls)
3rd: Vettel (Something just gives me a good feeling about him and Mark Webber for this race. Both did very well to finish where they did at Monaco, a repeat perhaps?)

Aren't we forgetting Massa's form in the early laps of the Monaco race? He was steadily building a gap over LH while it was raining. LH lucked out by hitting that barrier, which in the end helped him time his switch to dry tires perfectly.

But Massa is actually smoothing off his rough edges this season (despite the, uh, bobble at the start). If he’s not careful he might actually win the title. :P

I love the Canadian GP, it's always great for overtaking, especially the final chicane (a Sato repeat pls)

My predictions
1 Massa
2 Hamilton
3 Alonso
4 Heidfeld
5 Kubica
6 Liuzzi
7 Vettel
8 Irvine

Massa impressed me after the first two races. He's regained his form, and hasn't really done a major error since Malaysia.

If it's dry, my pick is a Ferrari 1-2, or a double podium at worst. Ferrari have the superior mechanical grip, and are almost equal with McLaren in terms of aerodynamic efficiency - and the Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve requires both, with an advantage to mechanical grip. If it rains, then it's just guesswork, and there, my money lies with Kubica or Hamilton, and one of the backmarker Germans to provide us with good entertainment in the points.

Speaking of Germans, I believe Heidfeld may bounce back, seeing as the rough surface and the Soft/Super-Soft selection of tyres will help him heat up his tyres better, and get back to the top-6. I also trust Glock will try his luck with the Wall of Champions, and Nico to try and make up for his Monaco race.

The Wall of Champions is such a dangerous corner for a driver - powering out of a slow chicane, a bit of oversteer sees the rear nudge it, and the rear suspension is gone. On the other hand, it's taken at such a speed, that a Chinese knockoff can crash it safely. A good corner, and probably one of the best low-speed chicanes I've seen.

Massa impressed me after the first two races. He's regained his form, and hasn't really done a major error since Malaysia.

First turn at Monaco? ;)

But your right yeah, Massa has been awesome since Bahrain, been right on Kimi's pace.

I've only watched Monaco since lap 22 - bastards on TV didn't bother noticing the time-difference.

And at Monaco, we can all argue he had at least one error less than Kimi had. ;)

So far I'm thinking the favourites are Nelsinho Piquet, Giancarlo Fisichella and Kazuki Nakajima. Maybe Timo Glock.

Ill say the champion. I think he might park it in there sometime during the weekend.

I predict a Force India and Torro Rosso crash at the first corner. (namely Bourdais and Fisichella)

Aren't we forgetting Massa's form in the early laps of the Monaco race? He was steadily building a gap over LH while it was raining. LH lucked out by hitting that barrier, which in the end helped him time his switch to dry tires perfectly.
More than anything, the Coulthard/Bourdais safety car closed Massa's gap and put a pit stop into Hamilton's pocket. Massa had no hope of winning the race after that. His mistake at Saint Devote did cost him second place though, it has to be said.

Well, im looking forward to the race. Canada always seems to be entertaining, hopefully it is this time as well.

Back