2009 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 436 comments

Peter

(Banned)
pj-gm
lol not happening
Well, thank god that after a month wait for a GP, we don't have to wait much longer for the next one, and where else is better to have a GP than at Spa-Francorchamps, for the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

ING 2009 Belgian Grand Prix
@Spa-Francorchamps

spa.png

[YOUTUBEHD]kBmcjp-vAaY[/YOUTUBEHD]
2008 Results:
1st. Felipe Massa
2nd. Nick Heidfield
3rd. Lewis Hamilton
(demoted form 1st to 3rd due to 25 second penalty)​

Race Date: 30 Aug 2009
Number of Laps: 44
Circuit Length:7.004 km
Race Distance:308.052 km
Lap Record: 1:45.108 - Kimi Raikkonen (2004)
Current Standings:
1st. Jenson Button(Brawn-Mercedes)- 72
2nd. Rubens Barrichello(Brawn-Mercedes)- 54
3rd. Mark Webber(RBR-Renault)- 51.5
4th. Sebastian Vettel(RBR-Renault- 47
5th. Nico Rosberg(Williams-Toyota)- 29.5
6th. Lewis Hamilton(McLaren-Mercedes)- 27
7th. Kimi Raikkonen(Scuderia Ferrari)- 24
8th. Jarno Trulli(Toyota)- 22.5
9th. Felipe Massa(Scuderia Ferrari)- 22
10th. Timo Glock(Toyota)- 16

Spa, the best track of the year, and definitely provides exiting races, like 2008's last few laps which saw Raikkonen and Hamilton battling for 1st with only a few laps to go and rain beginning to fall while both were on dry tires. Brawn have gotten their speed back ,and Red Bull's speed is appearing to run out. Every race, every point is important right now for Red Bull if they want to win the title, and they have, the Brawns to challenge them and the McLarens, Ferraris, and other previous mid-fielders of 2009 to prevent that from happening to both. The KERS cars will shine here, that 80 horsepower will be a helping hand climbing the uphill straights. I've also got just a couple prize gems of Spa:

[YOUTUBEHD]Lha_ZqWxCJA[/YOUTUBEHD]

I will be watching Badoer closely as he should be faster here as he knows the track and he now knows the F60 better. Obviously won't be a massive improvement, but he will be closer than at Valencia.
KERS will play a big part here methinks, overtaking is a fair bit easier and the unpredictable weather is always a factor.

I predict a McLaren victory. Red Bull make too many little mistakes over the weekend to dominate and Brawn may not have solved their tyre issues.

And of course, Raikonen on the podium as well, the KERS will help out mostly through Eau Rouge, and the straight leading up to Les Combs.

Ferrari aren't that strong though, not to assure a podium. They still have to fight Brawn, Red Bull and Williams.
McLaren at least have a car now that should keep them up front and they are a little more professional than Red Bull as well as usually making good strategy calls.

My favorite Gran Prix of the entire season. 👍👍👍

More info Pertaining to Spa Francorchamps.

Top Speed – 310Km/192Mph Tied for 5th highest top speed with Shanghai.

Lap Length - 4.3Miles The longest circuit on the F1 schedule.

Longest flat out section - 1,865m/1.1Mi (Longest of the F1 schedule) :nervous::bowdown:

% of lap spent at full throttle -70% Tied with Monza for 1st.

Spa produces medium tire wear and low brake wear. Tire wear may differ this year due to different compounds of rubber, as well as slick tires.

Spa is a low downforce track as compaired with the other tracks on the schedule.

The drivers will be making 52 gear changes per lap, ranking Spa 9th, tied with Shanghai for amount of gear changes per lap.

Information from BMW 2008.

I've been waiting for Spa, I love this track, I wish it were in GT4/5. I'm thinking the Red Bulls are going sweep one and two on the podium, qualifying as well. I would not count out Ferrari, or Mclaren for a podium finish though.

I don't know about Red Bull...

McLaren's new "short wheelbase" advantage might not be as big an advantage on a fast track like Spa... but only time and practice sessions will tell. Even then, the practice session never tells the full story, since some teams either choose not to show their hand at practice, or do a lot of last minute development after practice to increase their race pace. It's a topsy-turvy season that way.

It's wonderful, this new F1 (except for KERS and the possibilty of next year's "medal" system)... you never know what's going to happen next.

Moderate temperatures and fast sweeping corners will play right into Red Bull's hands. We have seen Brawn struggle in colder weather and Mclaren are unproven outside chicane and stop/go tracks.

What a joy to watch a GP at SPA.
Think L Hamilton has the momentum right now,and after last week they should have their pit work straight. If Kimi can start up front he may be tough.

kimi may be a problem but only if he can get the car up front. i believe he said in the press conference at the end of the last race they where going to be concentrating on next years car so i dont think they will be rolling out any new pieces for this years car. and i wouldnt be surprised to see McLaren do the same soon. they might aswell get a jump on next season because all they can do now is steal points.

my guess is a red bull win with a McLaren coming in the top 5 along with ferrari but i think brawn will be taking one of the other podium spots. who will get the 3rd podium spot is up for grabs really between the 4 front running teams at the moment.

What a joy to watch a GP at SPA.
Think L Hamilton has the momentum right now,and after last week they should have their pit work straight. If Kimi can start up front he may be tough.

Yes, I do have some momentum. :sly:

Seeing as last year it rained for the last part of the race, could be a factor this year, too. Watch for Vettel to be strong in wet conditions.👍

I was going to make this thread this morning. I live closer to the International Date Line than just about anyone else, so I get Tuesdays earlier. But I put it off because the European Grand Prix only really just finished. However, when I opened this thread, imagine my surprise to see I'd made it.

Dude did you really have to copy my way of posting to pen my thread? I am reasonably certain that I'm the only one who does it like that. Imitation being the highest form of flattery and all that, but the world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same.

What's wrong with that? It's a good way to post it. I just used yours to help me out with what to have and where to have it. Just don't flatter yourself ;).

I was going to make this thread this morning. I live closer to the International Date Line than just about anyone else, so I get Tuesdays earlier. But I put it off because the European Grand Prix only really just finished. However, when I opened this thread, imagine my surprise to see I'd made it.

Dude did you really have to copy my way of posting to pen my thread? I am reasonably certain that I'm the only one who does it like that. Imitation being the highest form of flattery and all that, but the world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same.

Wow - chill out pal - like the boy says - it's a good format that shows all the relevant info in a useful way... would you have rather he started with...

OP
Belgian GP

Lewis to win.

C.

i see a huge difference between yours and his. he has embeded videos. and yea here comes the i dont know how and i dont want to learn phrase but guess what that phrase pisses me off because it shows lack to better yourself. just had to get that off my chest.

but does anyone that knows where to look know what the weather forecast for the weekend will be?

Advice from a friend who lives in Brussels... (This was for weather in Brussels of course!)

"Go to google.be and type ‘meteo bruxelles’"

C.

Why does every GP thread start have to start with some kind of petty argument?

You don't know how to embed videos

You're copying me

They are pointless and petty and it just annoys everyone. So cut it out. :grumpy:

Wasn't Red Bull planning on installing KERS systems on their cars for the Belgian GP? I've heard some talk about this during the European GP last weekend...

Anyway, hoping for a big turn-over from Toyota. I cannot understand what's going wrong each year, but I think they are going to drop out of the sport very soon, despite the Concorde Agreement. Not renewing Trulli's contract makes me suspicious, especially in Toyota's case. Trulli is still on top of his game, and Toyota can learn much from him. I'm eager to hear developments in the Toyota camp this weekend, but I doubt we'll be seeing them in F1 the following years...

I think Toyota will throw the spanners in the works on this one. At least for qualifying go Trulli.

You don't know how to embed videos

You're copying me

They are pointless and petty and it just annoys everyone. So cut it out. :grumpy:

Plus freakin' one.

I have a good feeling about Sutil again.

Red Bull need to recover, this 2nd half of the season is truly captivating :embarrassed:
The game of back and forth the leading 2 teams are playing, is keeping all teams in with some hope of good results.
Spa is a true drivers track, not bad for spectators either. Weather seems to play a big part in this race,as does the first 3 or 4 turns :D
Hamilton will be the benchmark again I feel.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't mind wasting peoples' time. Fun fact: I'm also pretty cheap.
The field of course!
Okay, but I think that in order to do that, he has to show his enginer who is boss first. I mean, it's possible that he can do the rest of the season on two races; after all, Button used the same engine in Bahrain, Spain and Monaco, the first time one egine has won three races. Then again, the Renault engine has shown that it's not in the same class as its Mercedes counterpart reliability-wise.

Vettel's season is over now he has no engines left...

Red Bull should put their support behind Webber.

C.
Well, they should throw thir weight behind Webber ... but they won't. Vettel has only used six of his eight enginers, so he has to do six races on two engines. It's unlikely, but it's possible, and he's still within striking distance, even if he's fast becoming a mathematical outsider. If Red Bull want the constructors' title, they're going to need to support both drivers equally, because Brawn's return to form means they can't hold back. So they really have to decide which title they want more.

Well, they should throw thir weight behind Webber ... but they won't. Vettel has only used six of his eight enginers, so he has to do six races on two engines. It's unlikely, but it's possible, and he's still within striking distance, even if he's fast becoming a mathematical outsider. If Red Bull want the constructors' title, they're going to need to support both drivers equally, because Brawn's return to form means they can't hold back. So they really have to decide which title they want more.

I thought that was his seventh engine?

C.

Plus freakin' one.

I have a good feeling about Sutil again.

Plus freakin' two...

I also have a good feeling about Sutil,i really hope it will be a wet race sunday and Sutil will show us his talents and will score some good points for ForceIndia...👍👍👍

Weather prodictions now are about 60% chance of rain and 21Celcius...but in this part of the world this can change within 2 hours...i live in Holland so i should know...unfortunately..:ouch:...

spyrrari.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't mind wasting peoples' time. Fun fact: I'm also pretty cheap.
I give my time to be a moderator here. Please do not waste it. We have enough to do at the minute with all the GT5 and GT mobile news and threads, without having to deal with you and others having petty squabbles over nothing.

Back