2009 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 436 comments
If i were a betting man i'd put my money on vettel. He is overdue a victory and has had some shocking luck in the last few races. I expect him to be bringing his A game this weekend. Redbull will be strong, but lewis hamilton is the dark horse atm and i wouldnt put it past him to cause an upset, even if he doesnt end up qualifying well.

i belive the speed broadcast said it was his 6th engine that blew. guess that gives vettle 2 options conserve that last 2 engines and place lower in the points for that last 6 races still with a chance of the engines blowing. or b go balls to the wall and try and get as many points as possible because we all know those engines are going to blow up anyways and he will be taking 10 grid spot penalty's before the end of the year. if it where me id choose the second option.

If i were a betting man i'd put my money on vettel. He is overdue a victory and has had some shocking luck in the last few races. I expect him to be bringing his A game this weekend.
It'll be a challenge with that 10 place grid penalty, that's for sure! I'm actually expecting Webber to win this one, with his team mate copping that aforementioned penalty. McLaren shouldn't quite be up to the pace of the RB5 on a circuit of Spa's nature. Brawn have proven to be less competitive in the cooler conditions which Spa is notable for. And as for Ferrari, they haven't been challenging for wins just yet, but they Kimi might be in for a podium.

Can't wait! Loving not having to wait 4 weeks for the next GP. :P

I was going to make this thread this morning. I live closer to the International Date Line than just about anyone else, so I get Tuesdays earlier. But I put it off because the European Grand Prix only really just finished. However, when I opened this thread, imagine my surprise to see I'd made it.

Dude did you really have to copy my way of posting to pen my thread? I am reasonably certain that I'm the only one who does it like that. Imitation being the highest form of flattery and all that, but the world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same.

What do you want him to do? Talk about waffles in the opening post? Sounds to me like you just wanted to make the thread yourself and your post has the negative attitude because PJ-FFL made it before. Don't kick up a fuss; the opening post is good, and I'm sure the pre race discussion will be from now onwards.

Wasn't Red Bull planning on installing KERS systems on their cars for the Belgian GP? I've heard some talk about this during the European GP last weekend...

And that was very quickly crushed on the BBC :lol:

They straight asked Christian Horner - "KERS?"
Answer: "No".

Can't Red Bull renew any old engines and use those? If the FIA allowed the reconstruction of old engines, or damaged ones, wouldn't that cut costs down?

Man, watching that Schumacher lap from 2004 makes me miss the V10s so damn much. Such a beautiful sound. The V8s just have absolutely no soul and sound like garbage compared to the V10s. I still can't believe the FIA did this. Everything changed since 2004 has been horrible and the decision to go to V8s was definitely one of the worst ones.

Th2 V8's in 2006 didn't sound so bad, but after they lowered the RPM limits, it sounds lame and boring now.

Good to be back at a real race track rather than the joke last week in Spain! hoping for another good performance from Brawn (hopefully they have sorted out the cold weather problems!)

I just hope that Jenson can get a podium for a change!

I really think this (or Monza) where we could see Force India could get point(s). These are the fastest tracks on the F1 circuit and the VJM02 has the fastest speed trap speeds out of the whole field. And with the accelerated development of the car, it could be good in the twisty stuff too.

*Praying For Rain*

Your right about Force India. Not that I'm counting on it, but what if they actually had a podium? A cold day in hell? Would sure add to this years weirdness though haha.

Force India have actually been close to the pace for the last few races... I wouldn't write off the possibility.

I'm hoping Red Bull will make a comeback here, but the strong field will definitely be a problem for them. Shame... this season was Vettel's (and Webber's) best chance of getting a title.

If Rubens or Jenson wins, I won't mind, though. It's been a rollercoaster.

I really think this (or Monza) where we could see Force India could get point(s). These are the fastest tracks on the F1 circuit and the VJM02 has the fastest speed trap speeds out of the whole field. And with the accelerated development of the car, it could be good in the twisty stuff too.
The Mercedes engines were described as being faster than the others in the field, which probably has a lot to do with Force India's speed.

Vettel, Kimi or Hamilton for this one. All 3 performed very well last year and its Kimi's best circuit I think.

I'm also in the net of still thinking Vettel for the WDC, 7 engines or 11. He'll un doubtably see a 10 place grid slot once or twice before close season but I do think he has the raw pace and talent to still be in a striking distance of both Brawn/Webber come the final rounds.

Rain will play into Vettels and Hamiltons hands as well as bringing the 'outsiders' into play.

Can't wait for this one!

Vettel, Kimi or Hamilton for this one. All 3 performed very well last year and its Kimi's best circuit I think.

I'm also in the net of still thinking Vettel for the WDC, 7 engines or 11. He'll un doubtably see a 10 place grid slot once or twice before close season but I do think he has the raw pace and talent to still be in a striking distance of both Brawn/Webber come the final rounds.

Rain will play into Vettels and Hamiltons hands as well as bringing the 'outsiders' into play.

Can't wait for this one!

Mostly agree. But Webber for the WDC methinks.

I think at this point Red Bull won't win either title this year. They make too many small errors on strategy, their drivers are inconsistently quick versus each other, they now have engine problems for one car and Brawn have an ability to score in every race, even when they are "weak".
Oh, and McLaren, Ferrari and Williams have come along and made it even harder to score big points even when Brawn aren't there.

It will be far easier for Brawn to secure the title in these remaining races than it will Red Bull.

Button hasn't been that consistent really, he's making it harder for himself to win the title. Vettel on pace has been top 5 consistently before a failure by team or car. If He gets a good run He will beat Button out of the water.

Seriously, if you think the momentum is with Brawn there is a flaw in your logic.

I think Spa will benefit Red Bull, provided the engines can hold together. McLaren could revert back to the LWB car if need be, but I don't think that the car is sufficiently balanced to be able to run at high speed through the sweepers after Les Combs.

Jenson's gone tight, and just needs to loosen up.

That's what happens when your leading the championship this late into the season. Every other driver knows that if they press the issue, Button will give way. It's the only sensible thing to do. Naturally that won't apply if it's Barrichello, Vettel or Webber.

Would you want to throw away 5 points trying to keep hold of 6 points because you've been punted into the gravel because you chose to fight it out in a corner against someone is isn't in the championship fight and is just out get the best result they can get in the race?

Indeed - I wasn't saying in this instance it was a bad thing...

Vettel really closed the door on him - then he was in trouble trying to get round the sharp right hander as he couldn't run wide.

C.

Last year's race was by far the most exiting race of 2008, and the most dramatic.
[youtubehd]5K9P9z_Lwa0[/youtubehd]
I jsut hope 2009 can produce the same exitement and drama.

Hmmmm... Expect nothing still form BMW I guess... They won't do well in such circuit with their car lack of speed and grip... I like last year's race because it's sooo dramatic and full with action!!! But I think this year would be the same with Vettel, Hamilton, Webber and Button even Barrichello fighting at the front... Ferrari?? I still have got no hopes from them... they've stopped their car's development and I think they wouldn't do well... I think that's all for my review... Thanks...

They've stopped work, but the car is still great, 2 podiums in a row now, and maybe a win soon enough.

They've stopped work, but the car is still great, 2 podiums in a row now, and maybe a win soon enough.

Yeah the car is still great... But a win is seriously hard and on my opinion, it's not on my this year's F1 lists that could happen... But who knows :)

Back