2010 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

a F1 world champion should be able to pass Petrov,Pretrov did a terrific driving and some credits should go to the Renault team,they are always quick and really competent,something that both Petrov and Kubica show yesterday

So on one hand you say Petrov had a terrific drive, on the other you think Alonso should have been able to pass him. That's not much of a point since Hamilton couldn't pass Kubica with an arguably faster car than the Ferrari. And the champion is decided on points count so passing ability may or may not be important.

finally I like to say that analysing the German race scandal I found that he isn't a good overtaker

I would like to hear your analysis of the Monaco GP.

that a real world champion races to the limit like Webber or Hamilton

Alonso did race to the limit and past it, hence the mistakes.

Webber or Hamilton, don't bash every time they cannot pass a car.

Yeah like when Hamilton called out his team in Australia when he couldn't pass Alonso.

Damn, some of you guys ought to get a full time job complaining about Alonso. IMO, his interview after the race with the BBC showed someone who is quite respectable and chilled off track in my personal view (despite the frustrations he had just dealt with - some of you don't seem to understand).

From an objective point of view,Fernando Alonso didn't deserve the title,even if had win here it wouldn't be a genuine victory,

Ah yes, just like the 2007, 2008 Championships and many other titles of the past. And who cares, the Championship is over and done with - he didn't win, so can we just forget about an incident (that's nothing new to the sport) that happened a half year ago, instead of obsessing over it again and again? All the criticism Alonso gets becomes rather nauseating really, especially when you get people who jump into the thread only to share their bad sentiment of Alonso.

adding to that,a F1 world champion should be able to pass Petrov,).

How do you know with such certainty a WC should be able to do so?

Pretrov did a terrific driving and some credits should go to the Renault team,they are always quick and really competent,something that both Petrov and Kubica show yesterday,and finally I like to say that analysing the German race scandal I found that he isn't a good overtaker

(1:06).

Maybe if you base your opinion on one race. Because I can find many example from more than just one race where he showed he is a solid overtaker.

I imagine him saying: this is ridiculous not team orders between different teams!!!

In any case my point is that Alonso didn't deserve the world championship,and that a real world champion races to the limit like Webber or Hamilton, don't bash every time they cannot pass a car.

That's great - he didn't win the Championship today, so again, why make a big deal of it?

Last edited:
That's great - he didn't win the Championship today, so again, why make a big deal of it?

I'm enjoy it that is why,I will like Button to win,but Vettel is a terrific driver and F1 drivers are best of the best,but the best of the best of the best should be able to pass the best of the best,basicly he didn't drive like a champion and its time to entrust the future to the next generaion.

I'm enjoy it that is why,I will like Button to win,but Vettel is a terrific driver and F1 drivers are best of the best,but the best of the best of the best should be able to pass the best of the best,basically he didn't drive like a champion and its time to entrust the future to the next generaion.

Entrust in the future generation? You mean guys like Vettel? Who has proven to be a supreme (not) overtaker...especially at Turkey and Spa :lol: Hamilton's the only really youngster (only 3 years younger than Alonso?) who has come into F1 with any really superb overtaking ability.

You don't seem to understand the technical aspects of overtaking in Formula 1 either. Just because you want to overtake someone doesn't mean you can just do so at will, especially when the car in front has a straightline speed advantage like Petrov did over Alonso and you are having to deal with their dirty air (some cars are affected more than others) when you get within 1 second range of the car in front.

Kobayashi has pulled off some insanely risky and impressive overtakes this year (often on fresh rubber though), that make you think...why can't the other guys do this? But the truth is, they aren't the type of moves an intelligent WC contender attempts in the last race, where pulling a Kamikaze dive (and hoping the other driver gives you room) and risking a DNF is like playing Russian Roulette with your Championship. No question Alonso was desperate in the situation, but I think it was just a case of the cards being against him (particularly with the straightline speed disadvantage), and Petrov driving suprisingly well under pressure. And with that said, according to your logic you could argue that Lewis is crap at overtaking because he couldn't get around Kubica and that Webber is garbage to, due to the fact that he couldn't get around Alonso.

Lastly, may I ask why you would like Button to win? Because the general consensus would probably say that he couldn't even go toe to toe with the guy you talk down upon (Alonso).

Last edited:
In regards to Alonso and Petrov, Alonso just lost his cool a bit and got mad at Petrov. I still think it's unsportsmanlike, but I'm sure he does too. He still commented that Petrov had the upper hand after he cleared his head a bit.

I'm a Red Bull Racing fan all the way, and I don't like Alonso because he is a big threat to my guys (or was anyways). But I still respect him and I'm not going to jab him on every single little thing.

Edit: Alonso didn't get mad at Alonso, he got mad at Petrov.

Last edited:
In regards to Alonso and Petrov, Alonso just lost his cool a bit and got mad at Alonso. I still think it's unsportsmanlike, but I'm sure he does too. He still commented that Petrov had the upper hand after he cleared his head a bit.

I'm a Red Bull Racing fan all the way, and I don't like Alonso because he is a big threat to my guys (or was anyways). But I still respect him and I'm not going to jab him on every single little thing.

Good for you 👍 I feel the same way. I don't find the need to go out of my way to hate one driver for every little thing they do, but I guess some fans/viewers (that's all we are) of the sport get really riled up over rather small things a team/driver does, which only seems to build up their hatred toward that team or individual. To me (just my opinion), it's just not worth the time to be negative in that way (telling a driver to go to hell, or laughing hysterical directly at his fans), especially when it is simply a sport that you are a spectator to.

In my case, I admire and am inspired by all the drivers (some more than others) talents on track, especially the guys who drive with the most emotion, passion, and fire (guys like Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, etc.). But sometimes these personality types become overwhelmed in a negative way and frustrations can flow out like we saw today w/ Alonso, and on pretty much every race weekend (and even session). But hell, I see people do the crap Alonso did (giving rude gestures to another driver, honking unnecessarily, etc.) all damn day on the road...and there ain't no Championship on the line for them :lol: So big deal. Lets face it, we're all human's with emotions at the end of the day...not robots programmed to societies ideal way of conduct. If that's the worst thing Alonso's done in his life...big friggin deal.

Most importantly, I think if you were really good friends or close with these people you would realize most of them aren't the truly bad individuals that some of their ontrack antics suggest, or the media make them out to be. Of course a lot of the guys come off as being very guarded or possibly arrogant, but for some that is the easiest way to deal with the everyday pressure of being such a huge sports celebrity :crazy:

BTW, from one fan to another, congrats on Vettel's Championship today! 👍 Hopefully next season is a different story though :sly:

Last edited:
This has probably been said, but i can't be bothered looking through over 12 hours of post race quotes.

The definition of irony: when illeagal team orders give you an unfair advantage, only for the same team to take away that advantage with poor decisions.

Well done Vettel. You should have had 8 victories (BAH, AUS, MAL, EUR, JPN, KOR, BRA, ABU,

full

I think Petrov realised he was running over the kerb (with blue paint) so he just tried to get back on the road. It did look like he was turning in on Alonso though :lol:.

It's crazy how the Renaults showed up to mix everything up, and stay in the running long enough to spoil the results in Vettels favor.

Yea, it was pretty ironic how both the factory Renault cars ended up being such spoilers/detriments to Red Bull's contenders, and were such a helping hand to the way things shaped up for their engine supplier (I'm not arguing intentionally or not). In one of the post race interviews with the BBC, Hamilton had a conspiracy that Renault gave a helping hand to what he called their "step teammates" (Red Bull), but when he asked if he really felt this way he then quickly back tracked on his words and tried to play it off :lol: Seems he was a bit frustrated to.

Get over it, will you? You make a bigger deal out of that small meaningless (unless you're Petrov) gesture (which we don't entirely know if it was justified or not) than the fact that we just saw a wonderful race today, and witnessed the youngest ever driver crowned as WDC :)

Some of you truly are pathetic - your actions aren't making you look any better than Alonso in all honesty.

Alonso trying to blame Petrov for his loss or someone trying to defend attitudes like that... this is truly pathetic!!!!

BTW, Alonso has a very good reputation as a true sportsman :sly:

Epic drive from Vettel, well deserved young man! 👍

The outright pace from this lad is just amazing! If he wouldn't been struck with mechanical issues, bad luck, or his own mistakes he would've walked away with the title many weeks ago, but that's how F1 is.

Scary thing is, even though I had all my money on Alonso my prediction from almost a year ago came true :scared:

Song is called "Just Drive" Great song.

Check his site, the debut was on F1 today. It's also on itunes.
http://www.alistairgriffin.net/

Thanks, I found it yesterday. Many people initially thought it was Gary Barlow as I did, sure sounds like him! The BBC really out did themselves with the 'VT's' this weekend especially the 2010 film credits style montage. :)

Here it is for those who didn't see it,

Robin.

Read a thing that I found strikingly accurate. "Fernando Alonso is the Cristiano Ronaldo of F1". Really strange that I seriously dislike the latter but have always liked the former.

Edit: It was quite disgraceful what he did to Petrov after the race but I am certain even he is quite embarrassed about it now after he has cooled down a bit. After all he must have been more disappointed than ever before in his career. I know I would be fuming if I was in a situation where I knew that I had screwed up a nearly certain victory by using amateurish tactics. It would have been much better if the engine had blown but this was entirely Ferrari's own fault. They had it and threw it away.

Last edited:
Well, it is done. My opinion:

Vettel - This season was a demonstration of 2 things: his speed and his immaturity. He had the best car, and he was unlucky in some GPs, but he made also his fair share of mistakes (Spa being the most obvious). He is champion because he is a fast guy in the fastest car. Needs to work on consistency and in keeping his head cool when the going gets tough.

Alonso - All things considered, the best F1 driver in 2010. He was better than his car, something that can't be said about the RBR drivers. I understand there's a lot of hate out there towards him (and when it isn't him, it is Ferrari), but watching from a neutral viewing point I find it almost funny. His outburst yesterday vs. Petrov was much less important than the childish behaviour of Vettel after the accident in Turkey. However, Alonso gets portrayed as some sort of evil guy while Vettel is widely considered as a nice guy. I don't think this can be changed and I couldn't care less about it. As I said, I find all these double-standards funny in their own way.

Webber - He lost it, in the last stages of the championship, when in fact it mattered the most. Didn't he feel "backed up" by his own team? Can't tell. His speed isn't on par with Vettel and, with Seb winning the WDC, maybe even his consistency will never again make up for the lack of speed. I was hoping that he would finally get the WDC this year, to crown a long and a bit unlucky career. But now, after his subpar performances in the latest GPs ... I think that he truly didn't deserve the title.

I also find it amusing that the same people who trash Alonso for being arrogant hails Vettel as a nice guy. To me it seems like Vettel has all it takes to become the king of arrogance a few years into the future. He seems every bit as full of himself as ever did Alonso or Schumacher.

Well deserved race win, and thus championship, for Vettel (not my guy).

My guy Webber did well all year; but not enough to win; great season though 👍; helped win constructor's championship 👍

Don't have a hate on for any drivers; just cheer on my favourite :)

Next season (and off-season) should be even better :)

I have to be completely honest, I'm disappointed that Vettel won. Is he talented? Absolutely. I'd be stupid to say otherwise. Does he have fantastic pace? Absolutely. Again, I'd be stupid to say otherwise. Do I find him deserving of winning the title this season? Yes and no, more so I believe it to be no. He's been pampered ever since having been teamed with RBR (I can fully understand why, but allow me to continue), every mistake he's made and there's been a lot of them, all (within this season alone) under the same circumstances - pressure. Most of which were dismissed because of his 'racing maturity' something I simply do not buy.

Of course, mistakes are going to happen, even to the most seasoned of veterans...but what bugs me is it's simply warded off and is excused because of how young he is. As I've said countless times before whenever I've expressed my opinions about any of the races here, the only thing Vettel has proved throughout the season is that, if left alone, he's the image of a perfect racer. However, should he be behind someone (and the position counts) 8 times out of 10, he's likely to buckle under the pressure and make a (hazardous) mistake. My utmost congratulations go to him, but as far as I'm concerned he'll have a hell of a lot to prove next season as all of these petty, age-related excuses simply will not fly should he not improve his race craft next season and finds himself making the same pressure-laden mistakes. I take absolutely nothing away from him, and I hope he does become an even better driver come next season...but with so many people gunning for him come that time, it's going to be nothing but pressure.

And if, in the unlikely situation he doesn't improve, he makes the same mistakes because of it I feel his victory as a whole will be seen as a fluke, and as I said earlier...the only way he could succeed in maintaining his title is by being in the front of the pack, and only in the front.

Did you say the same for Hamilton in 2008? If you didn't, saying that now is a very big case of double standards. They're exactly in the same boat with the difference that Vettel's team mate was allowed to race him during the championship year - the video from Hockenheim in one of these threads tells everything about McLaren's politics back then.

To me it seems like Vettel has all it takes to become the king of arrogance a few years into the future.

He may have it, then again it doesn't mean he'll become one. You have access to knives and know how to use them - should we lock you in jail for a lifetime sentence just for safety because you have all it takes to become a mass murderer? I doubt it. Perhaps better see how it turns out first.

"Haters gonna hate" fits this championship perfectly. People say he's been the preferred driver - then how come Webber won quite a few races in front of him? People say he didn't dominate enough - well, with a car as reliable as Webber's he would've won the title with a gap of seventy-something points. In the end he took more poles than anyone else and tied with Alonso in the amount of victories. Without the technical setbacks he would've won eight races out of 19 - how on earth is that not good enough when judging the driver alone? None of the other contenders lost a victory for a technical failure, he lost three.

Will the Toro Rosso get out of Webber's way.
Massa in. Comes out behind Webber.

Alguersauri lets Webber through. Now Webber has to step on it.

I often wonder about Red Bull owning two teams. Does that give them an unfair advantage? As to being able to give prefference to letting sister teams pass easily or testing chassis or aero components for the main team to develope? Even if they are not allowed too. Who is to tell they aren't doing it. 💡

Well deserved win for Vettle. It just proves that even if we think he is not mature enough he definitely is one of the fastest drivers in F1.He is definitley a force to be reckoned with. I knew once he was able to stay up front after the first lap he would just take off. Surprised Alonso didn't do well going into the first corner and that made for a boring race since there was not much wheel to wheel racing between the contenders. It just turned out to be a parade. As pretty as this track is it needs a lot to be desired as an exciting track to race in. Not enough slow corners to pass, too many highspeed turns to actually stay close behind to pass due to aero turbulance. Makes for a boring race. The only thing that made it exciting was trying to figure out the points standings as to the drivers position from the race.

Last edited:
I often wonder about Red Bull owning two teams. Does that give them an unfair advantage? As to being able to give prefference to letting sister teams pass easily or testing chassis or aero components for the main team to develope? Even if they are not allowed too. Who is to tell they aren't doing it. 💡
QUOTE]

I think the Toro Rosso being a dog compared to the Red Bull strongly suggests they aren't. :D

QUOTE]

I think the Toro Rosso being a dog compared to the Red Bull strongly suggests they aren't. :D

I don't think that they have to be a top contending team to help out with the testing of components for the other team. They just need to get data from the parts they are testing. For example the the aero parts. To see if the actual downforce has improved from the current ones or suspension bits that are made lighter. Does it hold up from the stress test. Like the failed bits of one that just colapsed under braking or even brake parts how well are they performing before they actually use them for Webber or Sebs car. I remember once a season back or two ago they actually out performed the other team. Maybe that was the time they were testing for the undertray or something like that. I know it's just all speculation but is it possible or do they actually have strick guidelines to what parts and data they can share and who is watching them?

Last edited:
Regardless of the technical development side, and having a possible advantage there - without question Mark Webber had an advantage when he was let through by Aguelsuari (from the sister team). Of course this didn't have an affect on the Championship, so there wasn't a big controversy around it.

Last edited:
In reference to some earlier posts...

Save the subjective hogwash for drifting. You score the most points, you win. Verbally stripping someone from the Championship that they DESERVE is bologna.

This argument of so-and-so isn't as good as who's-his-face back in decade X in order to “prove” that someone isn’t World Champion material is nonsense. The evolution of a Formula 1 racecar and the tracks in which they are raced completely disallows the possibility that such claims would have any merit in reality. It's entirely possible for a World Champion from hypothetical era A to be completely awful in a Formula 1 car from hypothetical era B.

Congratulations to Vettel on a World Championship, I knew it was a case of when and not if. A thourghly enjoying season and I can only hope that next season is just as exciting. It has lots of reasons to suggest it will be just as good.

Thinking back, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi provided two of the most boring races of the season. Both are desert tracks.

I loved that pre-race montage that they had summing up the whole F1 year up to this point from the BBC broadcast (narrated by Eddie Jordan). Has anyone found a video of it yet? Needs to be on the first post if found I reckon.

EDIT: Found it :)

Anyone know what song was used in this?

Back