2010 Formula One European Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 380 comments

Peter

(Banned)
pj-gm
lol not happening
So, 2 long weeks of waiting, to wait for 2 more weeks before we get to see a good F1 race. But for those few of us looking forward to this race, welcome aboard to the European Grand Prix on the (boring) streets of Valencia.

2010 Telefonica Grand Prix of Europe
@Valencia Street Cricuit

valencia-circuit-al1.jpg

[YOUTUBEHD]qHhlh9A3apI[/YOUTUBEHD]​

Race Date: 27 Jun 2010
Circuit Name: Valencia Street Circuit
Number of Laps: 57
Circuit Length: 5.419 km
Race Distance: 308.883 km
Lap Record: 1:38.683 - T Glock (2009)

2009 Results:
1st- Rubens Barrichello (Brawn-Mercedes)
2nd- Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes)
3rd- Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)

Ahh, a nice track which may provide an exiting race with good overtaking spots and a very enjoyable track for us viewers. If you're looking for one of those, skip this race and go wait 2 weeks for Silverstone. Valencia is the most boring track on the calendar, and possibly ever on the calendar. There is almost no overtaking here, just you overtaking the other guy while he pits for fresh rubbers.

So, how about this championship battle, eh? Mclaren, thanks to their 1-2 finish in Montreal, are now 22 points ahead of the raging bulls, and 54 ahead of the prancing horses. Have the McLaren's taken the bulls by the horns? Or will the horses gallop their way to their first victory in 7 races?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking more about Alonso's comment about trying to stay at Ferrari for the long-haul rather than Valencia.

That said, Ferrari should be debuting their new exhaust system. I hope the reliability holds up.

You never know. Bridgestone may accidentally get the tyre choices a bit wrong on purpose and we might see some overtaking when they run out of rubber like in Canada. It's probably wishful thinking though.

In other news, Sauber have been granted permission to drop the "BMW" from their name. They are now known as "Sauber F1 Team".

Hands up who thinks Jonathan Legard will continue to refer to them as "BMW Sauber"?

Overtaking? Valencia? Have I woken up in the twilight zone? Wake me up when the tires are scrubbed and the pits have mixed the runners up enough to actually allow it. Otherwise, zzzzzzz.

You never know. Bridgestone may accidentally get the tyre choices a bit wrong on purpose and we might see some overtaking when they run out of rubber like in Canada. It's probably wishful thinking though.

After Valencia, they're mixing the tires up on purpose to make for more strategy. Instead of one-step apart, the tire choices will be two steps apart.

And by the end of the season, I expect they will only send super hard and super soft to each race. Wheee!

PJ dude, just to make it more correct I'd change the title to European GP not Valencia.

I predict the easy prediction - a relatively boring race due to the rubbish nature of the track. Qualifying can still be interesting though with Ferrari's much-touted upgrades and a similar-ish track setup to Montreal. Its not certain Red Bull will take pole again.
Not expecting much from the race, but at least that means I cannot be disappointed. I did still enjoy 2009's race thanks to a nice battle between Rubens and Lewis, so its not all doom and gloom.
In other news, Sauber have been granted permission to drop the "BMW" from their name. They are now known as "Sauber F1 Team".

Hands up who thinks Jonathan Legard will continue to refer to them as "BMW Sauber"?

He's referred to them as Saubers all season, so no. Or at least I don't recall particularly any problems there.

Has anyone referred to them as BMW?

Also, I guess you didn't read this bit:
"BMW Sauber has had its name change approved to get rid of the reference to its former car manufacturer partner, but the move will not come into effect until after the end of the season."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84697

Last edited:
I'm not expecting much from the race either, although as Ardius mentioned, qualifying could pontentially be quite exciting as the top teams bring in some new developments for this race. I think Ferrari (particularly Alonso) will have a good shot at pole with their new updates. It will also be interesting to see how well RBR gets their F-duct to work as well.

This track looks like a good one for Red Bulls. I think me might see another RB 1-2. But of course, anything can happen, so we'll just have to watch and find out.

On another note, I'm kinda mad about the coverage on Fox. The race will start at 7:00am my time, but Fox won't show it until 11:00am! So, it's a delayed broadcast for the states, which really sucks!! And I tried to see if Filmon would be any good, but without a paid subscription, none of the channels will work!

Last edited:
Bruno Senna will win.

Shows how much I'm interested in this track, really. I hope Ferrari can close the gap and Schumacher won't show the same reckless driving as he did in Canada. Putting my secret bet on Rosberg for a podium finish.

The race results will be decided in qualifying.

In Practice 2 Alonso was just ahead of Vettel for the fastest time. Schumacher could be struggling, since he was a fair bit slower than Rosberg in both sessions.

Boring quali, Boring race coming right up. Vettel or Webber pole, Alonso front row, Massa 4th.

I don't see why quali will be so boring, but I don't have high hopes for the race.

Red Bull 1-2 with Hamilton behind. Who didn't see that coming?

Although, to be fair, Hamilton made a mistake on his last flyer.

Still, wake me up when something happens. Zzzzzzz.

Yup. 3 tenths clear of the competition. Hamilton and Alonso maybe on the same pace but with flubbed glory runs, everyone else in the doldrums. Massa only a wee bit behind his team-mate this race, though.

I was expecting Ferrari of Alonso to be on pole... instead it's the Red Bull again :grumpy:

The Q2 session was a bit unique today, for the first time since the introduction of the 3 parts qualifying session all the top 10 cars that made it to Q3 was just under a second! We all do know that Red Bull is fast so no doubt they will actually be somewhere up there but the race is going to be difficult for them. Shame for both Mercedes, didn't expect them especially Nico to be down there and lose the chance of Q3. Very surprising despite the amount of updated they brought this weekend. It could be that he got held up or having a problem with the car. Michael had a power steering problem anyway. Renault did a very good job too so as the Williams to made it into Q3.

For the newbies, It seems like Lotus will continue making their way up, faster than the other newcomers. I thought the car could match the Saubers but Trulli lost it by quite some time but not that much as before. Both Virgins are off by 2 seconds from Lotuses and only 0.6s faster than Karun.

It was a good session by the way. The race is going to be long, and the first corner awaits its prey. It's a cracker hopefully not boring like before!

Red Bull 1-2 with Hamilton behind. Who didn't see that coming?

Although, to be fair, Hamilton made a mistake on his last flyer.

Still, wake me up when something happens. Zzzzzzz.

Wasn't a bad qualifying session at all, just because the result is not entirely surprising, it wasn't predictable till the very end - both McLarens were on good laps and the Ferraris and Renaults are on pace.
Major congragulations goes to Williams for finally finding some pace - mere tenths off the Red Bulls! Hopefully for them they can turn it into a good result.

Mercedes confirm their mediocre form recently by struggling massively despite an upgrade. Even Rosberg couldn't get out of Q2.

I'm still going to watch the race before the footy tomorrow, I wouldn't mind a boring race just because now it means Williams can score some decent points.

I'm wondering if the backmarkers may help this race more than in the past. The HRTs and Virgins are a fair bit off still and could potentially give the race leaders a chance to overtake.

I hope for a Webber win and for more action than expected since it's another dull track, but you never know, right?

Oh and as usual I hope Kobayashi gets some points. 👍

Well I'm still rather upset that Fox won't be showing this race live! It's hard to be an F1 fan in the states, very little coverage, and alot of commercials! I guess I'll still watch it, but it won't be the same if I know who wins.

Seems like Vettel is back. :D

I'm not quite sure about the race, but I hope Seb or Hamilton take the win, I always choose to cheer for pure talent over strategy.

Going to be very tough you know... I really do wish he could be up there, racing with a competitive car. That isn't happening. Period....

He has been getting fantastic starts off the line though, which is the best place to overtake here.
In fact, all of Kobayashi's starts this year that I can think of were good ones.

Once he is ahead, we all know he can defend like hell.

But yeah, points are unlikely and unreliability is the real problem.

He has been getting fantastic starts off the line though, which is the best place to overtake here.
In fact, all of Kobayashi's starts this year that I can think of were good ones.

Once he is ahead, we all know he can defend like hell.

But yeah, points are unlikely and unreliability is the real problem.

Yeah he has skills, and we know he can be up there at some point in his career. Reliability and the performance of the car doesn't seem to be supporting him since the start.

Indeed he always had a good start from Bahrain until Canada if I remember correctly too but as you said, he's a hard driver to overtake and he could also give a bit of charge somewhere in the race. By looking at his Qualy performance, a point finishing for this weekend is unlikely.

And how will that happen?

I haven't had much trouble avoiding results in the past.

^This

I think for at least 3 of the races this season i've had to watch on BBCiplayer, sometimes as late as 4 days after the race, and I managed to avoid the results too.

I was trying to watch Quali online in the afternoon, but my internet was playing up, so I decided to watch it later. Sadly, I clicked the wrong bookmark and entered the site through the F1 homepage instead of iPlayer, so I saw who was on pole :( Ruined Quali for me. Won't happen for the race though, i'm watching it on good, old fashioned TV (But still no ads :P).

Mercedes are having a very tough time. Not only was their car off the pace of the leaders, both of their drivers were making mistakes. Rosberg locked up a couple of times on his fastest lap, and Schumi just isn't with it at the moment. He was improving, and had a very good race in Turkey and also in SPain earlier in the season. But he has lost his momentum and he is now driving worse than he was at the beginning of the season. maybe he is 'past it'.

Anyway, come on Mclaren! Both of them start on the cleaner side of the grid, but then again, they have the outside line into the first two corners... The start is critical.

Massa could be a dark horse tonight.
He certainly seems more stable with the new exhaust position and he won the first race in 2008.
As Martin Brundle said in the qualy session, he hasn't quite been himself since his return. Maybe this weekend will turn his championship around.

Back