2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 369 comments
I was surprised (along with Brundle) at the lack of pace they had at the end of the race...

They were 3/4 seconds slower than Quali times at the end.

C.

I think too many conclusions are being taken from one race only.

In any case, I always thought that a racing discipline where the mechanics do the overtaking is a racing discipline where something is wrong.

If somethings needs changing, it sure isn't to go back to what we had ...

I think no refuelling is the way to go but only in combination with a more dramatic aero change, because its still a major problem. Also we need Bridgestone to provide basically crappier tyres, as the current ones are too good!
Imagine if we had the softs wearing out after a few laps in that race? The top 10 would have been in a heated battle with people like Barrichello and Sutil on the hards -this is what I and others were expecting to happen but it didn't.

Maybe it's just me but I think the majority of people who are saying that this was a dull race are either very biased (their favourite drivers didn't excel) or they forget what F1 has been like since 2004.

I guess overtakes don't count unless they are made by Button in a vastly superior Brawn against inexperienced midfielders (2009). Kubica battled from ~21st to 11th, pulling off a couple of great moves along the way. Also the battle between Kovalainen and Glock was quite interesting while it lasted.

For me this race was quite entertaining. Too bad we were robbed of a great battle for the victory when Vettel's car failed him.

Since Kimi is gone, I wasn't invested in anyone and watched this race just as a fan of F1. For people to claim that F1 has suddenly become boring is just ignorant.

I don't know if the answer is in crappier tyres. Tyre changing during races was introduced by Bernie Ecclestone's Brabham (early 80's if my memory doesn't fail me) but I still remember a good F1 from the era when you didn't pit for the entire GP.

I was watching the brazilian feed today (ask me no questions :P ) and Emerson Fittipaldi graced the commentary for most part of the race. The guys were asking him how was it back in his days and he just said something like

"Well, you started with a very heavy car and very hard tyres. Some of us would get faster, and faster, and faster, to the end. Others would have a car that was good when heavy and bad when light. Some saved their tyres more than others. It was all a gamble and a compromise, from beggining to end."

And it was exciting to watch - at least I remember it to be, although I was just 7 years old when he was champion for the first time. :dopey:

EDIT -
Since (insert driver name here) is gone, I wasn't invested in anyone and watched this race just as a fan of F1.

Welcome to the club :)

The race was so boring I fell asleep. I think that had more to do with the fact I woke up early(combined with going to bed late) to watch it, hence I was ultra tired.

I don't think it was that boring, granted it wasn't the most exciting race ever but it wasn't the worst either.

We had the situation today though where we had no tyre problems for anyone except Kobayashi. There was no Senna-like drive where someone destroyed their tyres making a lead or whatever, everyone saved their tyres well (and easily according to Button) and just ran their race.
If you watch the older races, more often than not, the race became exciting because the tyres of various cars would wear or explode. The only other missing piece is fixing the aero of the cars so people can follow behind each other without worrying about the car losing all its performance.

Even though this was my first time actually watching a F1 race, it was interesting to watch. I just got done watching the race, and congrats to Fernando Alonso for his victory and also his brilliant debut with Ferrari. It was a real shame however, that Vettel was dominating the majority of the race and then boom, something's wrong with the exhaust. He must be pretty disappointed about that. Oh well, I guess that's how Formula 1 is.

One driver I was rooting for got in the top ten and the other one I was rooting for had to cut out early.

Congratulations to Ferrari, and their spectacular start to the 2010 season. I'll try to catch the Australian Grand Prix two weeks from now.

Great Race, Congratulations to Ferrari!!!!!!! The boys in red are back!!!!!!! Such a shame for Vettel, he deserved to win. Bruno did a good job, beating the Virgins(sort of). Congratulations to Force India on scoring some points today.

One final Point ,
Teams like Lotus (or Proton), HSR ,USF1 and maybe Virgin but not so much,these teams I can't for the life of me think what the hell are they doing racing in F1 ,I mean Hearing a team set their goal is finishing the race and the other one (cough HSR cough)entered Quali just to give a car a few milage is laughable .This is not acceptable at all and things need to change this is the best motorsport (maybe not entertainment wise)but what the hell is happening .

P.S Chandhock's(spelling) early retirment was the most laughable thing I ever saw in F1 ,really had me laughing through the whole race but one plus side is there are more than 2 teams fighting for the championship for a change.

One final Point ,
Teams like Lotus (or Proton), HSR ,USF1 and maybe Virgin but not so much,these teams I can't for the life of me think what the hell are they doing racing in F1 ,I mean Hearing a team set their goal is finishing the race and the other one (cough HSR cough)entered Quali just to give a car a few milage is laughable .This is not acceptable at all and things need to change this is the best motorsport (maybe not entertainment wise)but what the hell is happening .

P.S Chandhock's(spelling) early retirment was the most laughable thing I ever saw in F1 ,really had me laughing through the whole race but one plus side is there are more than 2 teams fighting for the championship for a change.

👎 I think you need to look up "new team" and what it means. I'm not going to re-type what I have said many times before, but good luck finding any championship out there that has brand new teams winning straight away.

What is wrong with having finishing the race as a goal? Did you not just observe Sauber, a experienced and well rated team just fail to finish the race? If you have designed and built a car in 6 months with only a few weeks testing (or none for HRT), would you be setting yourself goals like winning a race?

I think some of you have impossible expectations for a new team in F1. They were never going to be competitive straight off and you can't expect everyone to win races in a sport which is heavily focused on the building of your own car to compete. Where is your criticsm of Williams and Force India "only" aiming for a podium or points?

I don't get how its "embarrasing" for F1 to have such teams. Is it embarrasing for football leagues to feature small town teams?

The HRT and Virgin cars were working far more efficiently than the average player in football these days :lol:

One final Point ,

You really need to lower your expectations if you expect a new team to go out and win right away, no matter the level of funding. Take Force India for instance, it was around for 3 years in some form or another before it did anything notable. Now they are slated to be one of the dark horses this year.

Things take time, you can't expect Brawn GP type of performance from every new team. These teams will get better with time as long as they put the money and people in the right place.

Maybe it's just me but I think the majority of people who are saying that this was a dull race are either very biased (their favourite drivers didn't excel) or they forget what F1 has been like since 2004.

I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I see a Ferrari take a 1-2, it casts my mind back to the 2000-2004 period when Schumacher won with apparant ease. Seeing one team win so much for so long tends to make a lasting impression. Maybe I am biased, but this doesn't happen with any other team. Yes, Button and Brawn dominated last year, but like Hill, Mansell etc., he only did it once. I've seen Ferrari win at more than 10 or so seconds so much that even if a race is exciting, I feel it's dulled purely because of the result.

The first half of the race was interesting - plenty of overtaking and a good strategic lead battle - but once Vettel's engine borked and the rest of the field were just cruising to the finish, it lost its sheen.

Good showing by Lotus, to only be 4 seconds off the pace in only 6 months is a great start.

You really need to lower your expectations if you expect a new team to go out and win right away, no matter the level of funding. Take Force India for instance, it was around for 3 years in some form or another before it did anything notable. Now they are slated to be one of the dark horses this year.

Things take time, you can't expect Brawn GP type of performance from every new team. These teams will get better with time as long as they put the money and people in the right place.

Not to mention that Force India weren't a "new" team either - they were a continuation of a team... these 3 new teams are exactly that 100% new... they had nothing before this...

C.

Its not a very useful design anymore considering double diffusers are banned for 2011....not to mention it was designed for a Toyota engine, which probably isn't available now ;)
Apparently they've got the Toyota engines and have rebranded them as Stefans', with Toyota technical support for maintenance and such.

And as for the design, most cars last year had to adapt to a DD design, so working in the inverse can't harm the performance too much, right? And even so, it wouldn't be that hard to redevelop the car. Being an F1 team and all :sly:

I guess overtakes don't count unless they are made by Button in a vastly superior Brawn against inexperienced midfielders (2009). Kubica battled from ~21st to 11th, pulling off a couple of great moves along the way. Also the battle between Kovalainen and Glock was quite interesting while it lasted.

For me this race was quite entertaining. Too bad we were robbed of a great battle for the victory when Vettel's car failed him.

Since Kimi is gone, I wasn't invested in anyone and watched this race just as a fan of F1. For people to claim that F1 has suddenly become boring is just ignorant.

On the contrary... for the first time in 10 years I watched F1 with no bias (i.e. BMW are no longer in it) and once you are not cheering for somebody, it suddenley becomes apparent that there is very little else to be entertained by.

.. and I have to say it...

... but the F1 fans that call NASCAR boring really need to take a long look at todays race, and wonder what F1 offers.

I'm not going to bother quoting every post on the last two pages but, my take on a few comments are:

New teams; they will take a while to develop - both on and off track. They should only really be measured by their achievements at the end of the season. It doesn't help to bash them because they don't measure up to Ferrari. What they have achieved is amazing and the trust each team member puts into one another is to be applauded imo.

Refuelling/tyres; the comment from Fittipaldi about tyres rings true. Rather than enforcing a certain number of tyres or tyre changes to be made, why not just make one set of tyres that last the whole race? This would bring the strategy back onto the track? I picked up on some comment, somewhere:dunce: that the ability to refuel allowed the drivers to push constantly rather than pace themselves. I think it's a cop-out on the drivers part for not pushing, irrespective of fuel or tyre conditions.

Sponsorship; the reason why Ferrari are so far ahead, financially at least, is because they are still supported by a tabacco company 👎 At least when all of the teams were, the money available was well spread and it was a single market in which the sponsors were competing. (I'm not sure on Mclaren's status on this front but, their livery hasn't changed for a while). It's no coincidence that the Williams shadow has been cast due to there more innovative strategy. The way I see it, car manufacturers tried to rectify this to some extent.

I for one will watch and wait with anticipation for each race to finish. It's a very long season and I'm sure there will be many twists, turns and over-taking manoeuvres to come yet.

The track didn't help. On a shorter track cars should be a bit closer but that won't help overtaking.

It wasn't a race that lived up to the hype. No one overtook and no one really tried. I hate how slow the cars went up and over 5 seconds slower is a sham.

I hate how they have banned testing.

I hate the new points system.

If anyone here would like to make a highlights reel of the overtakes of the past 10 years and post it, I have all of 5 seconds to watch it.

Good points;
Alonso winning. Not a fan but I have some money on him to be Champ so well done Nando.

Red Bull in Vettel's hands was strong. A class driver at a 'Good' car but I feel it's a bit off the pace of the Ferraris and maybe even the Mclaren.

New teams made it. Hispan was a bit of a shoddy job but nice to see two young drivers get the chance.

Bad Points;

ZzzzzZzzzzzzZzzzzz

The new rules are :ouch:

I don't like the no refueling rule and the 55m thing in the pits.

I'm happy that Alonso won. It sucks for Vettel, but at least he salvaged 4th and didn't get chopped up by the Mercedes'. I hope I will be proven wrong, but I think we will see the least amount of overtaking in the front since a while.

What a fantastic race it was yesterday!!

First of all, congratulations to Fernando for his first ever win in a Ferrari, and the 22nd in his career. Shame for Vettel after such a blow in the closing stages of the race. The cracked exhaust is all over him and luck wasn't on his side. Also great to see Massa finished the race in 2nd place making it Ferrari 1-2 was sweet after a bloody dissapointing 2009 season.

It's great to see Force India, Williams and Mercedes are all going well throughout the race. But shame though for some other teams like Sauber which they didn't finished the race after some problems. Shame for Petrov too after such a debut, but hampered by a faulty front right suspension.

Congratulations to both the Lotuses for finishing the race though Trulli didn't cross the line after a hydraulic problem just 2 laps before the end of the race. At least, they made their objectives and finally beating the Virgins. Virgin may have the pace but Lotus may have the reliability. Sad to see Timo retired after what I thought would be awesome to see Virgn vs. Lotus at the tail end of the grid. WHOW!!... What a bad luck for Chandok for crashing and if I remember correctly, he said the bumps made him crashed out. Not sure about that but yeah. Very good by Senna at least to outlast the car longer than that of Virgin and his teammate.

So we're set to go for a fantastic season, 1 week to go to the Australian GP...

Welcome back F1 :D

The Beige Grand Prix!

No colour! just beige sand!

No spectators at the track!

No overtaking really!

Australia I hope is better.

Vettel is still my pick for champion, bad luck on the mechanical; good on him to hang on to 4th.

Back