2010 Korean Grand Prix

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
The Formula 1 circus moves into uncharted territory this weekend with the inaugrual running of the Korean Grand Prix. Despite a patchy and often doubtful run of expectations and delays, the circuit passed its FIA-mandated inspection one week ago, and is now ready to host its first race. The 5.62km circuit has been the subject of much criticism, with many in the paddock and grandstands alike expressing concerns over an oily track surface and unfinished facilities.

Round XVII of the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship is the

2010 South Korean Grand Prix
from the Korean International Circuit, Jeognam

korean_international_circuit_large.jpg

2009 Results:
N/A - first event

2010 Championship standings after sixteen races:
1st - Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) - 220 points
2nd - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) - 206 pts
3rd - Fernando Alonso (Scuderia Ferrari) - 206 pts
4th - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes) - 192 pts
5th - Jenson Button (McLaren Mercedes) - 189 pts

If Suzuka was an important round, Korea is going to be a critical one. The results here will shape the last two rounds of the championship and will be a key point in the fight to see who can remain in the title hunt. McLaren need a good result here if they want to have any hope of taking another World Drivers' Championship, because it is very definitely advantage Mark Webber; all the Australian needs is to place on the podium here and in Brazil and Abu Dhabi to become the first Australian World Champion since Alan Jones - but 2010's most interesting statistic is that no driver has won a race whilst leading the World Championship. The circuit is expected to be Red Bull territory, but will Felipe Massa support Alonso on Ferrari's orders and ruin the championship for everyone?

Why do I have a feeling that Webber and Vettle will do something stupid this weekend and basically hand the championship to Alonso?

My main concern is the track though. Will the 2-3 week old asphalt be able to with stand that pounding or will we see the track starting to come up just like in Montreal a few years ago.

Why do I have a feeling that Webber and Vettle will do something stupid this weekend and basically hand the championship to Alonso?

My main concern is the track though. Will the 2-3 week old asphalt be able to with stand that pounding or will we see the track starting to come up just like in Montreal a few years ago.

Webber and Vettel?

Don't you mean "Why do I have the feeling that Vettel will do something stupid this weekend?"

Can't wait to see how this plays out; first it was Yas Marina last year, this year it's Yenogam. Wonder how the Incredible Hamster is going to handle this track.

I really think it's going to come down to the last race for the final result. Some of them are sitting pretty but it's anyones game if anything happens to Webber

Webber and Vettel?

Don't you mean "Why do I have the feeling that Vettel will do something stupid this weekend?"

Can't wait to see how this plays out; first it was Yas Marina last year, this year it's Yenogam. Wonder how the Incredible Hamster is going to handle this track.

If both Webber and Vettle fight for position and crash each other out like they did earlier in the year I will have to say its both of them being stupid. At this point both drivers know where they need to end up and if they fight with each other over position I think it will just end up in tears....and laughter.

I can see it now. Red Bull 1-2, Ferrari 3-4. Vettel tries an overtake on Webber, both crash and retire. Ferrari 1-2. Alonso takes WDC lead by 11 points. Ferrari bumped back into WDC contention. Senna scores points thanks to lots of DNF's.

If both Webber and Vettle fight for position and crash each other out like they did earlier in the year I will have to say its both of them being stupid. At this point both drivers know where they need to end up and if they fight with each other over position I think it will just end up in tears....and laughter.

Right away, I get the feeling you're referring to Turkey. I'm not saying that you are, it's just the one of those "go-to" moments now. Like I said and have been saying, the only person who's going to buckle under pressure is Vettel. On a side note, almost every incident involving a Red Bull was caused by Vettel.

A great driver, has terrific pace, but can't maintain focus under pressure for jack:censored:.

I think you guys know what I would put here.
*Insert mindless Red Bull fanboyism*

I honestly don't think Vettel will try anything stupid, especially anything that will take himself out. And that's not because I'm a Red Bull fan.

Webber honestly needs a win here. If he gets it, and unless he DNF's the final two races, then the championship is his. I can see Hamilton finally having a good race, and Alonso wrecking.

I want Webber to get the win as well, but Vettel has been on a rager the last three races. I fully expect him to end up on pole again with Webber behind him, and Alonso in third.

I also foresee Kobayashi being awesome. Again. :D

Korea onboard in F1 2010.

I've run a few laps here in F1 2010 already. It's got some high speed esses, almost flat out, Red Bull will rape there. Low speed corners before and after, Ferrari may rape there, and of course the long-ish main straight, and the very long straight after that. McLaren will rape there. So, pole and win will be rewarded to who pushes the hardest and rapes the most.

I can see it now. Red Bull 1-2, Ferrari 3-4. Vettel tries an overtake on Webber, both crash and retire. Ferrari 1-2. Alonso takes WDC lead by 11 points. Ferrari bumped back into WDC contention. Senna scores points thanks to lots of DNF's.
I can see Alonso winning the World Championship by six points or less and everyone rioting over it.

Should be interesting to watch and see how things unfold throughout the weekend, as this is a track where none of the top teams seem to be at a clear advantage (on paper). I'll keep my fingers crossed that there aren't too many issues with the fresh asphalt as well.

My predictions for the hell of it:

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Button
4. Massa
5. Vettel
6. Webber
7. Kubica

I can see Alonso winning the World Championship by six points or less and everyone rioting over it.

For what reason? :P

Isn't like he's incapable or anything like that, only thing I dislike about Alonso is his mouth...and that's usually when he's bitching about whatever.

Being a Ferrari fan I would find it quite amusing tbh. Every Ferrari fan would be laughing at RB for the incident @ Turkey - not to mention having such a dominant car (that should have wrapped up the WDC & WCC ages ago) yet not being able to pull through in the end.

After losing 3rd gear at Suzuka, Hamilton will not take a five place penalty. All teams are happy with the circuit, and no games or simulators will compare to the actual track...

After losing 3rd gear at Suzuka, Hamilton will not take a five place penalty. All teams are happy with the circuit, and no games or simulators will compare to the actual track...

I don't understand the point of this.

You realize professional teams use simulators that, well, simulate all of the curves, bumps, and g-forces accurately, right?

You realize professional teams use simulators that, well, simulate all of the curves, bumps, and g-forces accurately, right?
I understand, but some factors can me measured, but not to an exact point. An example will be how much rubber is laid down.

Lewis gets lucky with that... what was the reasoning behind the ruling? Can't punish a guy twice for breaking the same gearbox? :lol:

I understand, but some factors can me measured, but not to an exact point. An example will be how much rubber is laid down.

Well, of course not. You should have steered clear of using the word "compare" and instead say something along the lines "No game/simulator will ever replicate a real track and it's conditions." :)

Or if it were to rain...

Hamilton has been strong all along but I think we may see Vettel and Webber finishing 1/2 the next race or two letting Vettel catch up big time in the points, with Alonso or Hamilton not too far behind in each race.

I really hope Webber can seal the deal soon. This year is his year. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are all still young and have many years to look forward to but I have a feeling that if Webber doesn't take the title this year, I doubt he will ever in the future.

For what reason? :P

Isn't like he's incapable or anything like that, only thing I dislike about Alonso is his mouth...and that's usually when he's bitching about whatever.
Because if he wins by six points or less, it means he would have won the World Championhip because Ferrari manipulated the result in Germany.

I thikn the Red Bull will absolutely dominate that final sector. Apart from on the first lap, noone will get close enough to overtake on the straights because they will pull such a gap through the twistier sections.

But, the track is wider than places like Suzuka and Hungary, so maybe it will even it out a bit. Either way, I think Red Bull will be the strongest here.

I can't wait for this Grand Prix, judging by how it's been on the game the first few corners will be pretty chaotic!

Well, I heard that the circuits area is very isolated and prone to random weather. That's a good thing. Don't think my man Kubica will go to well here. It's not dangerous enough.

I hope it goes in this order
1.Button
2.Hamilton
3.Massa
4.Alonso
5.Vettel

Webber finishes out of the points, that should spice things up nicely for the last two races. In reality though the only way I can see that happening is if it rains.

Back