2011 12 Hours of Sebring

United States
Tampa, FL
NingDynasty
Hi everyone I'm finally getting a chance to take the short drive south to Sebring next week for the big 12 hour race! It'll be my first sports car race, first road race actually, and I'm really excited for it.

To anyone who has been to Sebring or to an endurance race in general are there any tips or things I should know before heading out there? Any views that I can't miss from a certain area of the track? Things to bring?

Back about 10 years ago we used to go to the NASCAR Races at Daytona, Charlotte, Atlanta, Homestead and Talladega all the time so we've got a few radio scanners which I'll be bringing for sure.

As far as the race goes Audi won't be having their new R18 there so thats a bit disappointing but the farewell tour of the R15+/- (After the new restricting regulations!) should be interesting to follow. I've always pulled for the Peugeot, not because of the marque but because it was a closed cockpit vehicle, so I'm very excited to see the new Peugeot 908.

Tons and tons of other story lines this week as well. Can the new Highcroft/HPD LMP1 or any of the petrol powered cars compete with the diesels? In GT will Porsche, BMW, Corvette and Ferrari continue to dominate or can Ford, Jaguar, Panoz, Lamborghini and Aston Martin challenge for the podium?

Discuss!

What I do with any endurance races I go to is walk the whole perimeter of the track over the races, stopping to watch for a few laps at each corner, point of interest etc.

Enjoy yourself at Sebring, it's going to be a stonker this year.

Sebring is huge fun. My advice is to just walk around the track and enjoy the sites and sounds. There are a few places you should definitely try to stop by though. I'll post pictures from each of the corners to give you an idea of how each area looks from a spectator's perspective.

Turn 1 - This corner is just intense. The speed the prototypes carry around this blind and extremely bumpy corner is amazing. The best view is from the outside of the corner (inside of the paddock). There is RV parking around this area though so you'll need to play nice with the people who pay to park there.

From Turn 1:

Sebring 2009 - Sebring Historic Fall Classic - Audi Sport North America Audi R8 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - Team Falken Porsche 911 GT3 RSR by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Risi Competizione Ferrari F430GTC Evoluzione by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turns 3-5 - Both inside and outside of this section of corners provide good viewing opportunities. There are viewing berms set up on both sides of the track but the areas on the inside of Turns 3 and 5 are the most popular. There's usually a good amount of action here too (there are always a few cars entering Turn 3 too fast or get on the gas too early exiting Turn 5).

Turn 3 from Paddock:

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Patrón Highcroft Racing HPD ARX-01c by Old Boone, on Flickr

Inside of Turn 5:

Sebring 2010 - ALMS Winter Testing - Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 RSR by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 GT2 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turn 5 from Paddock:

Sebring 2010 - ALMS Winter Testing - Rahal Letterman BMW M3 E92 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turn 7 - This is my favorite corner. Tons of action since this is considered one of the best passing areas on the track. The inside paddock area is probably the best vantage point since there's a viewing berm set up. Keep in mind, this place gets a bit rowdy, especially at night. I recommend a few different visits to this corner throughout the day.

Inside of Turn 7:

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Team Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 HDi FAP by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Rahal Letterman BMW M3 E92 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 RSR by Old Boone, on Flickr

Outside of Turn 7:

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 RSR by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turn 10 - Another really good passing zone. Again another berm for spectators and a walking area to view cars coming into the corner and exiting towards 11.

From Turn 10:

Sebring 2010 - ALMS Winter Testing - Rahal Letterman BMW M3 E92 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2010 - ALMS Winter Testing - Risi Competizione Ferrari F430GTC Evoluzione by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turns 12-16 - There are decent viewing opportunities here but they're covered by catch fences so I avoid them as a photographer (if I had credentials, I would definitely be here though...turn 15 is a really good area for photos). The exit to turn 16 does have temporary grandstands set up everyone once in a while. Might be worth a visit.

Turn 16:

Sebring 2009 - ALMS 12 Hours of Sebring - Dyson Racing BP Mazda Lola B09/86 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Turn 17 - Another awesome, bumpy corner. The outsides of the corner are for Porsche and Corvette Corral, so you might not have access to get in there but it might be worth a shot. The inside of the corner's exit (by the Sunoco gas station) is a good area to stop by. You get very close to the cars here coming out of the bridge.

Back straight coming into Turn 17:

Sebring 2010 - Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring - Drayson Racing Lola B09/60 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Exit of Turn 17:

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - Team Falken Porsche 911 GT3 RSR by Old Boone, on Flickr

Also, there are several straights throughout the course that provide good viewing...like I said, just walk around the course to get the most out of it.

Straight between Turns 6 & 7:

Sebring 2010 - ALMS Winter Testing - Aston Martin Racing Lola B09/60 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - West Racing Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 GT2 by Old Boone, on Flickr

Sebring 2011 - ALMS / ILMC Winter Test - Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 GT2 by Old Boone, on Flickr

I dont mean to hijack your thread but which network is broadcasting this race this year? The website says ESPN3 but i've never heard of that channel and i dont have it. And congrats on scoring tickets to Sebring! I'm definately going to Long Beach when they get here next month.

OK, so for the drop of the green, I'd suggest going to the hairpin.
It's not exactly a hairpin, but it's probably your best bet.
60 entries this year! Holy s**t!
My predictions:
LMP: Peugeot (I'm rooting for the muscle milk RS Spyder)
GT: Flying Lizards, have you noticed how the mechanics are done before the drivers are ready? They are the BEST! Go Pat Long!

(I'm rooting for the muscle milk RS Spyder)

They are running Aston Martin's this year.

ASTON_020911_2.jpg

Will the whole race be on ESPN3, or just when it's not on ABC/ESPN?

Congrats on your first Sebring race...

Old Boone pretty much covered it all my favorite areas are definitely the hairpin and turn 10. Also make your way over into the paddock area for some great up close time with the cars.

I think this year if my memory serves me correctly will be my 12th year in a row going to the 12 hrs it's a lot of fun and definitely a must go to for any motorsports fan.

I'll also be going. The Porsche coral at T17 is generally cool with people chilling on the stands. Another great spot (could be frowned upon though depending on your dignity) - dump out the old fuel barrels they use for trash cans around T16, preferrably into another trash can. Flip it upside down and roll it over to the fence. Standing on top will get your eyes about 9-10ft up, clearing the safety barrier and chain fence. It gives you a great view coming out of Le Mans corner and heading down the Ulmann straight.

I bring - Camera, sunscreen, stopwatch.

I'll be going stag this year, anyone from GTP want to meet up?

Also worth noting - the race is broadcast on AM radio.

Last edited:
To anyone who has been to Sebring or to an endurance race in general are there any tips or things I should know before heading out there? Any views that I can't miss from a certain area of the track? Things to bring?
I can't offer any Sebring suggestions, as I haven't been there. But I have been to the Petit Le Mans in Atlanta numerous times. An endurance race is an endurance for you as well.

For watching the race: As previously mention, walking the periphery of the track is a good thing to do. But I find one or two favorite spots and spend the rest of the day there. If you are wanting to take lots of pics though staying in one place for too long makes for a boring slide show later. I have way too many pics from Road Atlanta's Turn 6.

For surviving. I suggest an infield parking pass, if Sebring does it. My first year I didn't do in-field and a 45 minute walk to get food or beverage that I couldn't take in was crazy. If you park in-field you can keep a cooler in your trunk. Plus, you can have your bags with you and be prepared for whatever the weather brings. I've often had to grab a long-sleeve shirt due to a cool wind or a poncho due to rain. It was convenient to just grab one.

Alcohol is a toss up. Local laws and track rules may decide for you, but if not, or if you want to risk it then it is up to you whether you want it. When I first started going the entire race with a buzz seemed awesome. Now I am older and I just wanted to take a nap, and I did one year.

Folding chairs or blankets. Your feet will get tired and trusting the weather to allow sitting on the grass to be a clean experience is risky. And on that same note, comfortable shoes are a must.

Cash. Cash is a must. There are about 5 thousand ways they will try to get money from you once you are in. The prettier the girls, the more expensive it is. The Patron tent is a bar that brings its own women. Not only will your drinks be priced for name-brand tequila, but also to pay models to walk around. Also watch for free swag. Last time I went there was a VW tent where showing my key fob got me free stuff. Corvette Racing and Road Atlanta had you fill out a survey to get a free shirt.

And show up early. Hate to miss something because you were lined up waiting to get in.

I dont mean to hijack your thread but which network is broadcasting this race this year? The website says ESPN3 but i've never heard of that channel and i dont have it. And congrats on scoring tickets to Sebring! I'm definately going to Long Beach when they get here next month.
As previously linked ESPN3.com is an online channel. If you have an XBox with a Live Gold account in the US you can also watch it there.

Qualifying is 2:55PM Friday and racing starts at 10:15AM Saturday.

What I do with any endurance races I go to is walk the whole perimeter of the track over the races, stopping to watch for a few laps at each corner, point of interest etc.

Enjoy yourself at Sebring, it's going to be a stonker this year.

That sounds like a great idea, perhaps we can do that Friday to scope out where exactly we want to be on Saturday.

Sebring is huge fun. My advice is to just walk around the track and enjoy the sites and sounds. There are a few places you should definitely try to stop by though. I'll post pictures from each of the corners to give you an idea of how each area looks from a spectator's perspective.

snip...

Awesome photos Old Boone! I'll take your advice for sure. Glad to see some other GTP'ers from central Florida here!

You aren't hijacking anything here sir, this is meant to be a Sebring discussion thread. :-D

OK, so for the drop of the green, I'd suggest going to the hairpin.
It's not exactly a hairpin, but it's probably your best bet.
60 entries this year! Holy s**t!
My predictions:
LMP: Peugeot (I'm rooting for the muscle milk RS Spyder)
GT: Flying Lizards, have you noticed how the mechanics are done before the drivers are ready? They are the BEST! Go Pat Long!

That does sound like it'll be pretty dicey with 60 cars! I'll be sure to check it out on Friday for the start of one of the races.

They are running Aston Martin's this year.

Will the whole race be on ESPN3, or just when it's not on ABC/ESPN?

I believe the whole race will be on ESPN3, I believe it will also be simulcast on ALMS.com.

Congrats on your first Sebring race...

Old Boone pretty much covered it all my favorite areas are definitely the hairpin and turn 10. Also make your way over into the paddock area for some great up close time with the cars.

I think this year if my memory serves me correctly will be my 12th year in a row going to the 12 hrs it's a lot of fun and definitely a must go to for any motorsports fan.

As I briefly mentioned I'll be getting there early on Friday so I'm hoping there is plenty of time to do it all. Wish I could be there Thursday night though for the Night practice.

BTW Thats 144 Hours of Sebring! Awesome :-D

On another note I just read that GT Academy Winner Lucas Ordoñez will be driving the new SignaTech Oreca 03 Nissan LMP2 car this weekend!

Hey all, Mazda IT7 driver here going to Sebring for SVRA races. I desperately need a place out of the weather for the night of wednesday as our RV will not arrive til Thurs. Wednesday I have a practice and cocktail party in town that I will like to make and the transporter must return to FTL after dropping the car off. Anyone going? May have a extra ticket for the party. Regards, Dennis

Early this year I was seriously thinking about going to this event. Absolutely love racing this track in games and love to read about it. Sadly I'm a bit busy this weekend so I'm missing it. Hoping to catch as much info as possible during the event. More than the 2-3 hours that broadcasting channels will air.

I too try to walk the whole track, where possible. So far Le Mans, when I went in 2007, you only see about 1/4 of the track. The rest you would have to go through town and through security/track folk to get better views. At Lime Rock, I was able to walk the WHOLE track without any issues (much smaller track though). Didn't know you could walk all of Sebring. This makes me want to go more now than ever!
Have fun to those going 👍

I'm hoping there will be a stream available somewhere, but you cannot follow the ALMS without Radio Le Mans! 👍

I can't wait too see all the new vehicles on the track. Especially the F458 will be pure beauty on track to follow!

I'll also be going. The Porsche coral at T17 is generally cool with people chilling on the stands. Another great spot (could be frowned upon though depending on your dignity) - dump out the old fuel barrels they use for trash cans around T16, preferrably into another trash can. Flip it upside down and roll it over to the fence. Standing on top will get your eyes about 9-10ft up, clearing the safety barrier and chain fence. It gives you a great view coming out of Le Mans corner and heading down the Ulmann straight.

I bring - Camera, sunscreen, stopwatch.

I'll be going stag this year, anyone from GTP want to meet up?

Also worth noting - the race is broadcast on AM radio.

Sounds like a plan. Pops scored us the tickets, though he's yet to get into the sports car scene, hopefully this will get his foot in the door. It would be cool to meet up with another GTP'er.

I was thinking that since there would be two of us we could have a backpack for gear and essentials and another one for drinks/snacks. That way we can walk the track for an extended period of time without having to return back to the truck. Possibly we can even rope up some bag chairs to the backpacks. We'll see how it plays out.

I can't offer any Sebring suggestions, as I haven't been there. But I have been to the Petit Le Mans in Atlanta numerous times. An endurance race is an endurance for you as well.

For watching the race: As previously mention, walking the periphery of the track is a good thing to do. But I find one or two favorite spots and spend the rest of the day there. If you are wanting to take lots of pics though staying in one place for too long makes for a boring slide show later. I have way too many pics from Road Atlanta's Turn 6.

For surviving. I suggest an infield parking pass, if Sebring does it. My first year I didn't do in-field and a 45 minute walk to get food or beverage that I couldn't take in was crazy. If you park in-field you can keep a cooler in your trunk. Plus, you can have your bags with you and be prepared for whatever the weather brings. I've often had to grab a long-sleeve shirt due to a cool wind or a poncho due to rain. It was convenient to just grab one.

Alcohol is a toss up. Local laws and track rules may decide for you, but if not, or if you want to risk it then it is up to you whether you want it. When I first started going the entire race with a buzz seemed awesome. Now I am older and I just wanted to take a nap, and I did one year.

Folding chairs or blankets. Your feet will get tired and trusting the weather to allow sitting on the grass to be a clean experience is risky. And on that same note, comfortable shoes are a must.

Cash. Cash is a must. There are about 5 thousand ways they will try to get money from you once you are in. The prettier the girls, the more expensive it is. The Patron tent is a bar that brings its own women. Not only will your drinks be priced for name-brand tequila, but also to pay models to walk around. Also watch for free swag. Last time I went there was a VW tent where showing my key fob got me free stuff. Corvette Racing and Road Atlanta had you fill out a survey to get a free shirt.

And show up early. Hate to miss something because you were lined up waiting to get in.

As previously linked ESPN3.com is an online channel. If you have an XBox with a Live Gold account in the US you can also watch it there.

Qualifying is 2:55PM Friday and racing starts at 10:15AM Saturday.

I believe our ticket package came with a parking pass which should get us into the infield's "general parking" so that seems like a win.

Does anyone who has been there know what the rules are about Alcohol? I didn't see anything in the guest guide saying yes or no. They did mention you could bring food, drinks, grills ect. so I don't think it'd be a problem.

Early won't be a problem as we'll be getting there on Friday Morning before the first support race of the day.

I'm hoping there will be a stream available somewhere, but you cannot follow the ALMS without Radio Le Mans! 👍

I can't wait too see all the new vehicles on the track. Especially the F458 will be pure beauty on track to follow!

Radio Le Mans is great! If I get cell service I should be able to access their stream. I listened to all of their pre-race pod casts for last years 24 hours and it was awesome.

The race should be streamed live on AmericanLeMansSeries.com

Early this year I was seriously thinking about going to this event. Absolutely love racing this track in games and love to read about it.

I never had any game featuring this track, and have no idea on what it is like. That's amazing because Sebring 12 hours is an iconic race worldwide.

I never had any game featuring this track, and have no idea on what it is like. That's amazing because Sebring 12 hours is an iconic race worldwide.
Forza 3 has it. It's the only video game variation I have played.

FoolKiller
Forza 3 has it. It's the only video game variation I have played.

After hereing that news, I'm now off to sell my PS3 to get an xBox and a copy of Forza. :)
Just need a wheel... Lol. :)
I usually go to Lime Rock, excellent race there last year.
I'm dad is pretty big with photography, he took a course on it at some point in his life. His friend is actually paid by IMSA to go to the races and photograph. He keeps all the good stuff for us and himself though. :)
Two years ago at Lime Rock, he got this shot, it had rained HARD the night before, so there were still puddles on the side of the track.
He got this shot of the Acura going around the turn 3 with this puddle in front of it, which reflected the Acura. And man it is SWEET.
We got two copies of it blown up so the photo is bigger than me. :) that's how clear the shot was.
I can't find any of his stuff on the Internet, or else I'd link it.
With that said, I think I'm going to go search for an automotive photography thread.
Kind off topic, but some one said camera. :)

With that said, I think I'm going to go search for an automotive photography thread.
Kind off topic, but some one said camera. :)

Off topic: Check out this section, this is where us Photog's tend to hang out. 👍

On topic, I'm looking forward to watching, or should I say listening? To Sebring 12 Hours this year, didn't really watch it last year but I've just got that urge to see something motorsport related. I guess it'll be primarily Radio LeMans coverage I'll be sticking with though, can't find a TV channel in the UK that's broadcasting it live.

:(

Well that's it then, I don't own an Xbox console. I just hope there's no "exclusive" deal in place so I get to play Sebring 12 hours in GT6 or 7 (I doubt I'll still be around by GT8's release :P )

But back to the real race, this edition's LMP1 battle will be very interesting to watch.

11 cars featuring:

This year's 908 (works Peugeot Team) - 2 cars

Last year's AUDI R15+ - 2 cars

Last year's 908 (Oreca Team) - 1 car

Last year's Aston Martin - 1 car

The Oak Pescarolo Judd - 2 cars

Dyson's Mazda Lola - 1 car

Highcroft's Honda - 1 car

Rebellion's Toyota Lola - 1 car

My guess?

works 908 > Audi R15+> Oreca 908 (this in the "Diesel battle")

Highcroft's Honda > Muscle Milk Aston > Dyson's Mazda > Rebellion's Toyota > OAK Peskys

What's yours?

After hereing that news, I'm now off to sell my PS3 to get an xBox and a copy of Forza. :)
Just need a wheel... Lol. :)

Sebring is good fun in C6.R on iracing. Mmmm, laser scanned goodness.

Hun200kmh
Well that's it then, I don't own an Xbox console. I just hope there's no "exclusive" deal in place so I get to play Sebring 12 hours in GT6 or 7 (I doubt I'll still be around by GT8's release :P )

But back to the real race, this edition's LMP1 battle will be very interesting to watch.

11 cars featuring:

This year's 908 (works Peugeot Team) - 2 cars

Last year's AUDI R15+ - 2 cars

Last year's 908 (Oreca Team) - 1 car

Last year's Aston Martin - 1 car

The Oak Pescarolo Judd - 2 cars

Dyson's Mazda Lola - 1 car

Highcroft's Honda - 1 car

Rebellion's Toyota Lola - 1 car

My guess?

works 908 > Audi R15+> Oreca 908 (this in the "Diesel battle")

Highcroft's Honda > Muscle Milk Aston > Dyson's Mazda > Rebellion's Toyota > OAK Peskys

What's yours?

I don't know if the Peugeots are cut out for it.
You mentioned that it's this years car. So even if all if their entries DON'T break down :) it's their first year with that car.
As much as I despise Audi (I <3 Porsche RS Spyders) they are an amazing team and probably would have won Road Atlanta last year if it weren't for some bad luck.
And I won't even start telling you how much I hate Chris/Bob Dyson. They really know their racing, but they're terribly unlucky. And they got beaten by their old car last year multiple times. (The Muscle Milk RS Spyder was actually their old chassis and engine)
I honestly don't think the Mazdas have the endurance as a machine for a finish if they're lucky. But knowing the Dysons, they probably won't have luck on their side. :)
Their car actually caught fire right in front of me last year at Lime Rock. :)

Well, you are right about the diesels, we don't know if the new Peugeots will be reliable in their first race, so probably it'll be more useful to compare their pace against the R15+ and their own "older brother" from ORECA. And most probably Audi will take this one.

It's also a delicate situation for Audi. They bring their reliable 2010 car now, delaying the start of the R18's campaign. But that car can't go to Le Mans as the Peugeots come to Sebring (to do their maiden race) but we'll see. (same with the AMR-One)

About the ALMS teams, I only started following them after Highcroft got my attention at last year's Le Mans buildup (Brabs blog was great fun to watch) so I don't know much about them, I trust your opinion.

About Highcroft, I just checked their YT account and found two nice short clips about the car's shakedown and a preview from the team owner. Have a look

[YOUTUBEHD]pP8ji5OAeIQ[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]WQxkQ_xOiYk[/YOUTUBEHD]

I'm rooting for my usuals, Audi for P1 and if it's a Pug, then I want the #8 since it has Pedro Lamy as one of the drivers. Wouldn't mind seeing Porsche's RS Spyder win too. Then for lower classes I want it all Porsche, especially the Flying Lizard team. :dopey:

Love seeing all the cars but something Porsches just strike me right.

I usually go to Lime Rock, excellent race there last year.

That it was! One of the vette's that crashed out at the 'Big Bend' turn from a multi-car pile up, I believe was caused by either the Jag or the Ford GT, I went to snap away and my camera battery died right there and then. Perfect view too that I had!!

Last edited:
Back