2011 12 Hours of Sebring

I have to say, I'm not a fan of the Audi R15 styling regardless of what engine they have. The Peugeot body style on the other had the look of a retro GT-One '99 in mind or even the Bentley Speed 8 '03. But everyone on the track seemed to have their spring rates to high and possibly their ride heights a touch to low, there was plenty of bouncing by everyone which resulted in a couple cornering accidents.

To be fair Peugeot never had to push until the last hour.

The rest of the ILMC should be epic, at Spa there'll be three cars apiece for Peugeot and Audi, Rebellion will run two cars, Aston Martin will have a pair of cars, Hope Polevision will debut their ORECA Hybrid plus the LMS regulars will be in attendance.

Man. I saw the highlights on SPEED Center of this race. It looked like a good old knock-down drag-out brawl. As I mentioned earlier, I relied mostly on Twitter and Facebook for race highlights. From what I've been reading about the ESPN/ABC highlight packages, it seems like a lot of fans are going to be lost on just a poor TV package.

Congratulations to all winners in all classes.

Man. I saw the highlights on SPEED Center of this race. It looked like a good old knock-down drag-out brawl. As I mentioned earlier, I relied mostly on Twitter and Facebook for race highlights.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
It was a great race and I think the cautions help to make it such a great race.
It tightens up the classes and I applaud the ALMS officials.
From what I've been reading about the ESPN/ABC highlight packages, it seems like a lot of fans are going to be lost on just a poor TV package.
Bum deal.
I have 2 other friends that go to Lime Rock with me each year and one had computer issues and the other didn't bother watching it on his computer.
I watched it on the computer and had to reload the page too many times due to freezing.
I like to watch the race on TV while haveing the computer stream the available video and have the live scoring also.
Without the TV I have less coverage and we need all we can have for such a long race.
Watching Petite LeMans is going to suck with only espn3.com coverage.
I guess I should be happy to view the race somehow, though.

I tried on the PS3 but no go, I guess the PS3 browser doesn't have what it takes to view the streaming video.
I sent an email reply to them and they said,

Thank you for contacting us.

I'm sorry, ESPN3.com is not available on PlayStation3.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. EST.

At least they replied.

As far as I can tell, ABC didn't even broadcast anything. I turned it on at 3 PM, watched tennis for 45 minutes (they still had one set to go), came back an hour later, and "Cash Cab" was on. I don't know who is pocketing the money, but this screws the fans ALMS has worked so hard for 10 years to win. I'm not going to bother chasing TV coverage. Until it's back on SPEED, screw it.

ESPN are not too smart. They spend millions to carry this event and then not even broadcast on conventional media.
It's not a conventional race. You think ESPN will keep fans by blocking off 12 hours on a primary channel during the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament?

And for those that get ESPN3 this is far more coverage than Speed offered.

Watching via espn app on my xbox. Smooth as butter, no hiccups, no commercials
I wasn't home and I only caught the last two hours live and then watched the rest of the race On Demand Sunday. In both instances my XBox feed on a 2mbps connection pulled an HD signal with only maybe 3 or 4 stutters throughout all 12 hours, and those only lasted a few seconds.

I thoroughly enjoyed the race. I am an Audi/McNish fan, and when they were out of contention I began pulling for Oreca. I've been a fan of theirs since the Viper days in GT1. That's what they were doing when I went to my first Petit Le Mans. Also enjoyed seeing Rahal/Letterman win. Gotta pull for David Letterman's team. Usually when they get a big win he congratulates them on his show. So, even if you cheer for another team a Rahal/Letterman win is a good thing for ALMS due to exposure.

I was happy with ESPN's coverage for the most part although they really focused on P1 and GT too much. I learned more about the challenge classes from the qualifying coverage. I'd like a chance to learn the drivers and teams so I can pick a favorite. They are all in the same car so I need more personal stories for me to decide who I do and don't like.

And I understand why some people are disappointed that they can't get ESPN3 because I never had Speed. I've been in the same boat for over ten years. Call your Internet providers and find out why you don't get it.

And during the broadcast they did say that ESPN is working to get ESPN3 in Europe. You all should like that because they do have a lot of soccer/football on there. My hope is that if ESPN3 gets in Europe they will cover LMS and the rest of the ILMC, as well as other European race series. Until then I will be stuck finding a stream for the 24.

Next year the ILMC will separate from the LMS so it should be easier to sell that TV package to ESPN or Speed.
If Speed gets the contract I'll scream. What fan wants to see their races interrupted by NASCAR testing or some reality show reruns?

I think I'll go find out how to email Scott Atherton now about how awesome the ESPN3 coverage was.

To be fair Peugeot never had to push until the last hour.

The rest of the ILMC should be epic, at Spa there'll be three cars apiece for Peugeot and Audi, Rebellion will run two cars, Aston Martin will have a pair of cars, Hope Polevision will debut their ORECA Hybrid plus the LMS regulars will be in attendance.

Can't wait to see Audi's new R18 compete against Peugeot's new 908 at Spa. :)

New video from Highcroft. A full Sebring lap from Marino Franchiti

[YOUTUBEHD]Wl8YvIue_7U[/YOUTUBEHD]

Love the helmet, nice mixup of the italian and scottish flags

Last edited:
Wow, those are some great shots.
Thanks for sharing.

That Jag looks like it's running through the jungle.

Old Boone, are you a professional photographer or semi-professional?

Occasionally I see sites like Jalopnik show off your stuff and link the full-size as wallpaper. If you aren't getting paid for these, you should be.

Seriously, I would submit some stuff to the ALMS Webmaster or something. If this is what you do with ticket access, I can only imagine what you would do with an official pass to areas inaccessible to fans.

And now I am torn between your Oreca Matmut pic as a wallpaper or one of the Audi pics. Are there more coming to your Flickr feed when you get time or is this it?

01GTP & FoolKiller - Thanks guys! It's just a hobby but I take it fairly seriously since a few websites use my pictures. I haven't been paid a dime since I started shooting two years ago. And legally I don't believe I can receive payment without accreditation since I'm shooting on track property. The people who run the ALMS and Rolex 24 twitter accounts (and also the IndyCar blog) have taken notice of a few of my shots though, so maybe that will lead to getting better access next year. I'll be posting images from the 12 Hour for a while since sports car racing pretty much leaves Florida until November after the St. Pete Grand Prix.

Last edited:
And legally I don't believe I can receive payment without accreditation since I'm shooting on track property.
Now that I think about it I believe you are correct. I remember when my camera was considered fancy 8 years ago and I noticed that some of the legal stuff somewhere mentioned that photography was allowed but all images are considered property of the ALMS or Road Atlanta, or something like that.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what else you managed to capture. I know that takes time.

I was checking the video I posted above ... Sebring definitely needs repaving, I'd never guess an asphalt in that (poor) condition in such an historic racing venue ...

I was checking the video I posted above ... Sebring definitely needs repaving, I'd never guess an asphalt in that (poor) condition in such an historic racing venue ...

I totally agree with you there!

It was awful how badly the car was jumping about. The drivers must get major level of back pain and bruises everywhere after a two hour stint in the car. The track owners really should do something about to make it relatively smoother for the drivers themselves.

That's a hard call. . . . . The punishment is part of the heritage of Sebring, and is actually part of why the teams bring cars here to run. How many times have you heard, "If it run 12 hours at Sebring it'll run 24 at LeMans just fine?"

If it wasn't a test, would Peugeot and Audi load up everything they have and cross the ocean to get here?

Compare over the years what teams come to Sebring (before LeMans) and what teams come to Petite LeMans at Road Atlanta (end of the season.)

OTOH, now that Sebring and Petite are both part of the news ILMS series . . . . . .

As for our man's Nissan, I got several shots of it over the weekend, and was totally unaware at the time of the link to our own GTPlanet. I don't know if I got a shot of Lucas, but here's a few of the Nissan:

Paddock:
DSC_8379.jpg

Very early:
DSC_8674.jpg

Straight section after the hairpin:
DSC_8918.jpg

Dusk, brakes for the hairpin:
DSC_9083.jpg

Dark, with big-ass flash. Do not ask me how many tries it took to catch the exhaust flame in the pic!
DSC_9228.jpg

Just a personal note about the Panoz: I did not think it was possible to build a race car uglier than a Grand-Am Daytona Prototype. I see now that I was mistaken!

@Old Boone: What kind of shutter speed do you drop to for some of those? I wasn't brave enough to go slower than 1/125. I might have used 1/60 at dusk, I don't remember actually.

Last edited:
wfooshee - I vary the shutter speeds quite a bit throughout the day, mainly I'll use between 1/125 - 1/80sec for the standard panning shot. But if I think I can go slower, I will. For the Jaguar shot through the trees and the Peugeot 908 heading out of turn7, I was shooting at 1/20sec. For the ORECA Peugeot at night I was at 1/30sec and for the last picture of the Level 5 car, I was at 1/6sec. If you want to see the full settings, you can click on any of the pictures and view the EXIF data on my flickr - it's listed under the "Actions" button above the image or by clicking on the D7000 link above the map on the right side of the page.

And yes, the roughness of the track has always been a part of Sebring's appeal. It's tough on the cars and the drivers but that's what makes it an excellent place to see how well the car will hold up in endurance races.

Hi Old Boone

Think your photos are great. Was wondering what type of focusing techniques you use for the panning and still shots, do you prefocus on the track or use focus tracking? If you prefocus, how do you allow for the change in DOF if you shoot wide open? Thanks.

Back