2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 480 comments
Di Resta to do good? Not so likely, considering he's never driven on this track before. If anyone's bringing that FI home well and properly, please be Adrian!

But until then, the Beeb and friends will be going on about di Resta being the next
Vettel and "wiping the floor" with Sutil.

He hadn't driven Singapore before either...in fact he's driven very few of this season's tracks before and it hasn't stopped him from beating or matching Sutil fairly consistently.
One would have thought that was a decent reason for the BBC to repeatedly keep interviewing him. A Brit/Scot doing a pretty good job in his rookie season against a respectable teammate? Nah, they should interview his experienced teammate who is achieving decent race results though expected and somewhat predictable. :rolleyes:

I think the BBC are allowed this little bit of bias all things considered. Its not like Di Resta is coming last every race or crashing out and the BBC are falsely praising him. He is doing a good job, they have good reason to be regularly interviewing him - he's regularly impressing.

Frankly, Sutil is going nowhere at the moment. He's had a great couple of seasons now regularly scoring points and proving to be a decent midfield runner. But he has yet to show an ability to regularly contend podiums or race wins. Of course, he hasn't had the right equipment to do that yet but there is still a question mark over whether he can really deliver under such pressure and more importantly in a different team environment.
Basically he is currently merely good. It remains to be seen whether he is great. Di Resta on the other hand is a rookie, he isn't/wasn't expected to match or beat Sutil as consistently as he is. This perhaps demonstrates a huge amount of potential as he can only improve with experience. What will he be like next when he knows all the circuits and is more experienced with F1 as a whole?

And finally, lets be honest, one of the BBC's main audiences is Scotland, obviously they perhaps might want to hear from Paul once in a while. I remember ITV completely forgetting about Button after Hamilton came in. Its nice for some attention to be drawn lower down the grid for a change.

Last edited:
On the whole Paul di Resta thing, he's definitely a good driver.

You know he and Vettel were teammates in Formula 3 in 2006, where di Resta beat Vettel, and won the championship. Then in 2007, Vettel went to F1, and Paul went to DTM.

Them later in 2010, Paul becomes DTM World Champion, and Vettel becomes F1 World Champion.

And I hope they do something about Felipe Massa.

Maybe take that bit of carbon fiber that's stuck in his skull from the old accident and blocking nerve impulses from the "fast" button in his brain? Yes, please.

-

Whoever wins/comes second/comes third/tries to take out his team-mate, I will enjoy this. Suzuka is an epic track and with the tire degradation, low rear downforce, KERS and even... DRS, overtaking on 130R is going to be epic to watch. Whether or not they make it a DRS zone.

Might have to cut car testing short on Sunday to find a good bar to watch it from, since I'll be away from home come Raceday.

Sorry, but even when Webber gets the start right, he hasn't seen so much as a breath of a victory. Vettel is too good.

Are we talking about this season or last? If it's this season I haven't seen him get a good start yet. :lol:

Another win for Vettel, you'd be brave to bet against him..
Would love to see a Hamilton win though, just to shut the haters and doubters up. :)

Would love to see a Hamilton win though, just to shut the haters and doubters up. :)
A win isn't going to absolve him of a season full of silly mistakes. Nor is it going to do much to address his underlying problems. If anything, it's only going to reinforce his belief that he is and has been doing the right thing for the past few months.

A win isn't going to absolve him of a season full of silly mistakes. Nor is it going to do much to address his underlying problems. If anything, it's only going to reinforce his belief that he is and has been doing the right thing for the past few months.

It hasn't been a season full of silly mistakes. Yes, he's no doubt made the most mistakes of any of the top drivers, but he's also made some of the best moves and driven some top races. He's only human mistakes will happen, especially with the pressure he's under to perform. Yeh, he doesn't do anything to help himself, but other drivers have made contact a few times this season, and no one says half as much. Lets face it, its not been a brilliant season, but a lot of the criticism he's getting is over the top. Some people just dont like him and will pick holes in anything he does. And as for some drivers having a conference later to discuss his "antics" that's just pathetic. I'm glad some drivers like Kovalainen have sense and said they wont be attending, as there is no issue with him or his driving in general.

Last edited:
Di Resta to do good? Not so likely, considering he's never driven on this track before. If anyone's bringing that FI home well and properly, please be Adrian!

But until then, the Beeb and friends will be going on about di Resta being the next
Vettel and "wiping the floor" with Sutil.

Clearly you haven't seen the Singapore GP.

Also, Sutil is expected to do better than Di Resta but all things considered the only thing that keeps Sutil above Di Resta is because of a few unlucky races he had, 👎

I don't know why you don't like the guy. At the start of the season the BBC didn't even turn a blind eye to him and he's made some reputation to actually be a talking point for next season. Possible new team, main driver at FI etc.

It hasn't been a season full of silly mistakes. Yes, he's no doubt made the most mistakes of any of the top drivers, but he's also made some of the best moves and driven some top races. He's only human mistakes will happen, especially with the pressure he's under to perform. Yeh, he doesn't do anything to help himself, but other drivers have made contact a few times this season, and no one says half as much. Lets face it, its not beed a brilliant season, but a lot of the criticism he's getting is over the top. Some people just dont like him and will pick holes in anything he does. And as for some drivers having a conference later to discuss his "antics" that's just pathetic. I'm glad some drivers like Kovalainen have sense and said they wont be attending, as there is no issue with him or his driving in general.

+1. 👍👍👍

All of three things need to happen for Vettel to NOT clinch the championship this weekend:

1. Button must finish first
  2. Vettel must NOT finish in the top ten
  3. At least 40 of the scheduled 53 laps must be completed (75% rule - if the race is ended early for whatever reason, the drivers get half points if the total number of laps completed is at least two whole laps but not more than 75% of the scheduled laps. 1st place gets 12½ points, 2nd place gets 9 points, and so on)

Since Vettel leads Button by 124 points with 5 races to go, this result would have to happen at all five remaining races. And if Vettel scores just one point over in Japan, Korea, India, UAE or Brazil while Button wins all five, they'll be tied in points but Vettel will win by virtue of having more first-place finishes (9 to 7) That sound you hear is Mets fans consoling Red Sox fans over their nauseating deja-vu

And even if Vettel does clinch the title, the season is far from over - Button, Alonso, Webber and Hamilton are still battling for second place with 185, 184, 182 and 168 points respectively. Plus, there's the matter of the Constructor's Championship - Red Bull leads McLaren 491-353 and it's unlikely that they'll claim the title this week (Ferrari, in third with 268 points, has been mathematically eliminated, as have all other teams)

That said, my prediction for Suzuka is Vettel, Button and Webber on podium in any order.

It hasn't been a season full of silly mistakes. Yes, he's no doubt made the most mistakes of any of the top drivers, but he's also made some of the best moves and driven some top races. He's only human mistakes will happen, especially with the pressure he's under to perform. Yeh, he doesn't do anything to help himself, but other drivers have made contact a few times this season, and no one says half as much. Lets face it, its not been a brilliant season, but a lot of the criticism he's getting is over the top. Some people just dont like him and will pick holes in anything he does. And as for some drivers having a conference later to discuss his "antics" that's just pathetic. I'm glad some drivers like Kovalainen have sense and said they wont be attending, as there is no issue with him or his driving in general.

Here's my explanation of his crashes and overtaking from another thread.
I think he is a sublime talent capable of being world champion a couple of more times, but the fact that the RB7 has been so much faster has made him more aggressive and consequently making more mistakes. The races he hasn't made mistakes in, you can see his aggressive driving, China and Nurburgring for example. Even in Singapore, after ruining his race, he made a fantastic recovery.

Yeah, he's obviously had to take more risks than Vettel (and others) becuase most of the time he's fighting for position. He doesn't have the luxury of cruising off from the lights, getting clean air and wrapping up a win.. So accidents happen when fighting for postion and all important points, people only seem to have an issue when it's him in the wars.. He's only had a three(?) races this year that we're worth talking about really. Massa/Maldonardo at Monaco, Button at Canada, and Kobayashi at Spa.. His incident at singapore was very minor in comparison to a lot of other things this year, and when Alonso hit him in Malaysia was hardley his fault. Others have had as many, if not more incidents this year, and people say a lot less.. Personally, I think he's made up for it with some great drives and like you said akmuq some good recoveries.. Im not denying he's made mistakes, but people seem to be to quick to criticism him, and don't see the bigger picture.. Which is that he's clearly one of the top 3/4 drivers on the grid..

Yes, this has been his worst season, but has contained his best ever performances mainly cause of Vettel and his frustration. If he had a car equal to the Red Bull next season, he won't be as spectacular and probably retire from less races. Of course, this is Hamilton we are talking about who was still spectacular and retired a couple of times last season when his car was more or less equal to the Red Bull and Ferrari.

Yes, this has been his worst season, but has contained his best ever performances mainly cause of Vettel and his frustration. If he had a car equal to the Red Bull next season, he won't be as spectacular and probably retire from less races. Of course, this is Hamilton we are talking about who was still spectacular and retired a couple of times last season when his car was more or less equal to the Red Bull and Ferrari.

Yeah, I agree, a poor season for him. Fingers crossed next year, they give him a car thats competitive 99% of the time, rather than only a few times this year, and then hopefully we'll see classic Hamilton battling for wins week in week out, with very minimal mistakes.

I just want to say one thing....Go Go Vettel :gtpflag:!!!

Forza Ferrari. Vettel pendejo :sly:

974bacfc-6f3c-4ef4-8a9d-efd5ac500c16.jpg

The DRS zone for the race has been announced. The detection point is 70 metres after 130R, and the activation point 30 metres out of the Triangle. I'm not expecting it to produce a lot of overtaking; the first corner doesn't really have a heavy braking zone. A couple of people - Renault's James Allison in particular - seem to think that the first corner will be a game of chicken to see who can keep their DRS open the longest.

I can't quite understand why Vettel's index finger and after race win radio antics bug me so much. But they do. It just feels so calculated and unspontaneous.

I can't quite understand why Vettel's index finger and after race win radio antics bug me so much. But they do. It just feels so calculated and unspontaneous.

The only reason it bothers me is because it happens every race. His philosophy quotes are pretty annoying, but amusing at the same time, like the "we are who we are".

It's almost ironic having Friday morning practise actually held on Friday morning.:confused:

The only reason it bothers me is because it happens every race. His philosophy quotes are pretty annoying, but amusing at the same time, like the "we are who we are".

:lol: Nailed it.

Can it be any worse than Lewis Hamilton circa 2007 and 2008 constantly comparing himself to Senna?

Can it be any worse than Lewis Hamilton circa 2007 and 2008 constantly comparing himself to Senna?

At least Lewis actually says what he thinks in interviews. Vettel is trying too hard to not say the wrong thing. They'll ask if he can win and he'll say all this palava about it being a long race and such, it's as if he thinks he's incapable of any success until it actually happens.

At least Lewis actually says what he thinks in interviews. Vettel is trying too hard to not say the wrong thing. They'll ask if he can win and he'll say all this palava about it being a long race and such, it's as if he thinks he's incapable of any success until it actually happens.

So you would rather have someone compare themselves to one of the greats?

Can't help but think he's a good comparison and they are very similar.
Undoubtably very naturally gifted, often criticised for his actions, a worthy world champion and is part of some of the greatest rivalries of the last few seasons.

My point is that, even it is very pretentious, Lewis is honest about what he is thinking. Vettel is far too humble in interviews and it gets quite boring after a while.

Back