2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 480 comments
Can't help but think he's a good comparison and they are very similar.

Gonna disagree with you there.

My point is that, even it is very pretentious, Lewis is honest about what he is thinking. Vettel is far too humble in interviews and it gets quite boring after a while.

Maybe Lewis was being honest. It doesn't disguise the fact that when he's doing well, his ego swells up to the point that he starts comparing himself to one of the greats. Unbelievable arrogance right there. To me, arrogance is a major turn off.

My point is that, even it is very pretentious, Lewis is honest about what he is thinking. Vettel is far too humble in interviews and it gets quite boring after a while.

Aren't most other sportsmen like that though?

i do love his interviews sometimes though, especially if its a short interview, he's got a good sense of humour sometimes and can be a right laugh.

Well practice one complete. It is friday practice, so not really a good judge of pace, but strong mclaren showing nonetheless.

Just saw the practice on the morning news (thats a first), Vettels crash didn''t look that bad...

He needs to calm down, finish at least 10th, and make it a hell of a race for Kaz.

I need to wake up 7 am for the race... on sunday.

Kobayashi is already trying to outdo his performance from last season. Did you see that video game-like recovery? :lol:

Kobayashi is already trying to outdo his performance from last season. Did you see that video game-like recovery? :lol:

Ye that was lucky save there, looks like the renaults are back to being on pace but i expected senna to do a little better hes almost a sec off petrov , senna had a lucky save aswell in turn one

prisonermonkeys
The DRS zone for the race has been announced. The detection point is 70 metres after 130R, and the activation point 30 metres out of the Triangle. I'm not expecting it to produce a lot of overtaking;
don't tell Kimi that! To this day that is one of the greatest moves I have seen.

It was fun watching fp1 and at least seeing the pros make the same mistakes I do! Lucky buggers at least get Tarmac outside spoon entry, wonder if that could be part of spec 2.0?

It is a sad day indeed when a section of circuit that produces one or two overtakes over the course of the race is considered to have produced "a lot" of overtaking.

I watched the whole of 1991 Japanese Grand Prix man that was a good race, I hope this year will be a good one.

enjoy :gtpflag:

So excited! Practice was interesting...surprising to see Vettel crashing. :)

We've seen Vettel crash a couple of times on Friday (Turkey and Canada at least, possibly another?...), never seems to hurt his performance like it would others!

The DRS zone for the race has been announced. The detection point is 70 metres after 130R, and the activation point 30 metres out of the Triangle. I'm not expecting it to produce a lot of overtaking; the first corner doesn't really have a heavy braking zone. A couple of people - Renault's James Allison in particular - seem to think that the first corner will be a game of chicken to see who can keep their DRS open the longest.

Errmm, I've already put a map of the DRS activation and detection zone in the first post....

Can't be the only one watching qualifying? Bit of drama with Rosberg... hasn't set a Q1 time yet, and traffic is killer here because the track is so narrow.

some teams testing a whole lot of aero packages this weekend.

Di Resta wasting a set of softs in Q1 as well... So he's faster than Sutil, but with the better tires.

Senna, Kobayashi and Sutil use their softs as well... What a waste... But Kobayashi sets tentative P1... sure the fans are happy about that... :lol:

Rosberg is out. Car borked in the garage.

Errmm, I've already put a map of the DRS activation and detection zone in the first post....

I think he is discussing more the expected impact of its location, rather than it's location.

Can't be the only one watching qualifying? Bit of drama with Rosberg... hasn't set a Q1 time yet, and traffic is killer here because the track is so narrow.

Di Resta wasting a set of softs in Q1 as well.

Don't worry, i'm here!

Not sure what to expect, other than a Red Bull on pole!

niky

Di Resta wasting a set of softs in Q1 as well... So he's faster than Sutil, but with the better tires.

Senna, Kobayashi and Sutil use their softs as well... What a waste... But Kobayashi sets tentative P1... sure the fans are happy about that... :lol:

Rosberg is out. Car borked in the garage.

Can you post any major news. It's 6.20 AM here and I've been strictly told only to turn on the TV for Q3.

Kobayashi's lap was epic. Whatever else happens today, he gave people something to cheer about. Too bad about Nico... This is his first non-Q3 session this season. Mechanical issue. No other major news to report yet.

Update:

McLaren is strong here... Button just 1/100th off Vettel and Hamilton has set a Q2 lap 2/10ths clear of everyone else. Webber and Alonso post similar times over a tenth slower than Button... Massa half a second behind that.

Could we finally be seeing a McLaren pole? Or will Vettel find an extra few tenths running with DRS open everywhere?

Kobayashi qualifies well on what appear to be the same tires he used in Q1... might not make it to Q3 on that time... Schumi has just bumped him... He'll have to use a second set... I think he will likely do a hard tire lap for Q3 if he makes it.

Last edited:
Impressive time by Senna after losing a lot of time in P3 after his crash.

It's great to see Kobayashi in Q3 again.

I expected Vettel and Webber to be stronger here.

Perez suffering with man flu by the looks of him. Must be horrible to race with flu.

Don't doubt Red Bull yet... there's still an entire Q3 for Vettel to pull out an inhumanly quick lap.

But 2/10ths is a big ask of him.

-

Great job for Kobayashi... and great work from Senna in sealing that Q3 position.

For anyone interested... Q3 starts now! Turn on your TVs!

Hamilton and Button at 1:30.6 and 1:30.7... Vettel at 1:30.8. Webber at 1:31.15.

Last year's pole was 1:30.8. The McLarens are inside that.

Hamilton has a very neat and precise lap. It's hard to see how that can be bettered... but I don't doubt that Vettel will have another go. 3 minutes left... I won't be surprised if all four top runners do another lap. Alonso may go out for a late lap... he hasn't set a time yet because of that slide.

EDIT:

When Vettel hasn't been on pole, Webber has. This MIGHT be the first non-RBR pole of the season... but I think Red Bull will want the record!

Back