2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 480 comments
So Hamilton and his team have screwed it up again. Well done Vettel, again. His 'that's what i'm talking about', is the most annoying thing ever.

Yeah, one of his best yet. I must see the onboard

Definitely. You could really see that he was giving it everything he could.

It's such a shame that Hamilton and Schumacher screwed each other. He had a high change of getting pole. EDIT: Actually, it was Hamilton being slow and screwed Schumacher and almost Mark Webber.

Last edited:
No!!!
9 thousandths of a second an JB could have taken pole away from stupid red bull. So close!

And hahaha at hamilton. He will be absolutely livid.

Screwed up, big time. They released Hamilton way too late from the pits. This isn't the first time McLaren have bungled up Lewis's qualifying. Doesn't matter how hot the shoe is, the brains of the operation have to handle things properly.

And Hamilton was doing so well. Driving smoothly, going faster than absolutely everyone else. But big props to Button... he was only a tenth behind Hamilton all Qualifying long.

Won't be surprised if a McLaren gets first in the race itself... but I don't expect Vettel to give up that easily. He's going for a record, and he's going to want all the wins he can get.

That Vettel lap was incredibly good... all three men at the top of the sheets had shtongkingly good laps.

-

Schumacher and etcetera have played the "stroll-in-the-park" game, simply to avoid being last. Kobayashi had a lap at race pace, but he didn't complete it... would have made him seventh and/or forced Renault and Schumacher to actually complete a lap. As it is... since they all went on track but didn't set a time, they stay in the same starting order. What a waste of tires that was.

Last edited:
Hamilton has a face like thunder!

Not impressed with the television directing on the qualifying, the on screen data was all over the place and even though there was a handful of cars on track, they couldnt show all the action.

I hope we get qualifying tyres next season, these non event quali's are tedious.

Screwed up, big time. They released Hamilton way too late from the pits. This isn't the first time McLaren have bungled up Lewis's qualifying.
Maybe not - Hamilton left the pits ahead of Webber, but crossed the line behind Schumacher. Something obviously happened on the outlap.

Maybe not - Hamilton left the pits ahead of Webber, but crossed the line behind Schumacher. Something obviously happened on the outlap.

He was too slow on the outlap, Webber and Schumacher went either side of him at the chicane in their desperate need to beat the clock. Schumi, taking the rallying line, while Hamilton was doing the school run line.

prisonermonkeys

Hamilton said something to the effect of webber and Schumacher somehow messed him up. He said "It was all very strange"

Whatever. Im glad he didn't have a chance for pole. He doesn't deserve it.

He was too slow on the outlap, Webber and Schumacher went either side of him at the chicane in their desperate need to beat the clock. Schumi, taking the rallying line, while Hamilton was doing the school run line.

Funnily enough, I think Hamilton helped Schumacher. I can't imagine Schumacher being able to qualify higher than 7th and luckily for Schumacher; Senna, Petrov and Kobayashi didn't set a time, so he saved a set of tyres.

Seems to me, he was trying to slow them down enough, so he would make the time, but Webber and Schumacher wouldn't. Made himself look like a complete tool, i'm losing interest in Hamilton to be honest, he used to be my favourite driver, but now is just embarrasing far more then he is brilliant.

NO!

Seriously, there is a Red Bull ahead, and that will not bring up a good show.

But I'm pretty sure that Vettel just won the championship, unless he crashes but that is really unlikely.

Last edited:
dhandes
Seems to me, he was trying to slow them down enough, so he would make the time, but Webber and Schumacher wouldn't. Made himself look like a complete tool, i'm losing interest in Hamilton to be honest, he used to be my favourite driver, but now is just embarrasing far more then he is brillant.

That would totally be a Lewis Hamilton move. He acts like a five year old sometimes. He really needs to grow up.
I for some reason never liked hamilton, he just never seemed like a good down to earth guy. Now he wears an earing, blames everything on everyone else, and thinks he is the greatest thing ever to come to f1.
If he wasn't so dang talented in raw pace he would definetly be out of a job.

Finally saw it.

Crazy stuff by Lewis... obviously, if you're not on a hot lap, there's no rule that people can't overtake you. He was simply too slow on that outlap.

Perhaps he had it half in mind not to actually do a second timed lap... that Vettel would not gain that pole.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lewis won this GP... right behind Vettel... if Vettel gets all defensive on Button, Hamilton could take the place from both of them. It all depends on the start.

Maybe Lewis just lost his consentration for a moment.

What i saw of the Vettel's pole lap was quite impressive. It really showed how hard he was pushing. Great driving.

Will be interesting to see how many of the drivers will be figting a flu tomorrow :P

A pretty nice end to the end of Q3 but the first half was a real dud. I was disappointed to see Vettel just pip Button there, it would be nice to see a team other than Red Bull on pole this year! I'm not surprised to see that McLaren are quite fast this weekend, they've done well on the higher downforce circuits this year and I think they're certainly in for a shot at victory.

It's the Hamilton behind Vettel, with a fast run down to the 1st corner that i'm concerned about. Hamilton to clear Vettel out, with Button to take the win anyone?

Vettel has lap record for Suzuka. Last record: 1.31.540 by Kimi Raikkonen (2005)

The entire top 6 has shattered the last lap record, 7 - 10 didn't post a time.

Vettel has lap record for Suzuka. Last record: 1.31.540 by Kimi Raikkonen (2005)

While those times were indeed faster than Kimi Raikkonen's lap, a lap record has to be set during the race for it to be official.

Surely Kimi is at home right now sitting in the craftsman truck he soo very much hates, sulking and drinking his best bottle of Gin. All while turning on the truck and disturbing the neighbors so they know his misery. (That's if Kimi didn't TVR the quali)

EDIT: Jackington brings up a very good point...

While those times were indeed faster than Kimi Raikkonen's lap, a lap record has to be set during the race for it to be official.

Rubens Barrichello (Ferrari) makes lap record in qualifing lap in Monza 2004

(1:20.089)

Also, Vettel posted a fastest lap in Montreal (1.13.014) during qualification.

Rubens Barrichello (Ferrari) makes lap record in qualifing lap in Monza 2004

(1:20.089)

Also, Vettel posted a fastest lap in Montreal (1.13.014) during qualification.
No, the rules actually state that a lap record has to be set during a Grand Prix for it to be official. Just because a YouTube video says "lap record" doesn't mean it's official.

Latest Posts

Back