2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 480 comments
I got off of bed at 1PM today but I'm not sure I'll be able to stay awake to watch this race. It starts at 3AM over here.

Yeah, it'll be pretty hard to stay awake and watch the race, even more when the race for the championship is almost meaningless.

It will be cool to see a good fight between Seb and Jenson though.

And IIRC, Alonso was the fastest on the hard tyres.

That and the fact that Lewis was faster than Jenson in Q1 too.

The race should be interesting. So if Lewis takes out Vettel in the first corner, that will leave Button a golden opportunity to win and keep Vettel's it's not over until it's over PR talk going for at least a race longer :sly:. However likely outcome will be him driving off into the distance and Lewis scrapping with Jenson with maybe potential contact ;).

Yeah, it'll be pretty hard to stay awake and watch the race, even more when the race for the championship is almost meaningless.

It will be cool to see a good fight between Seb and Jenson though.
I doubt it is meaningless, this race is likely to be the title decider and have the celebrations to go with it and maybe some nervousness from Vettel too than usual. I'm sure he will try his hardest to make 3 wins in a row here but imagine Vettel winning the title with a DNF, that will spoil celebrations a bit ;).

Last edited:
Would love these races to start at 2-3am GMT which would be around 11am-12:00 in Japan. There's no way I can get to sleep now and wake up for it and even worse to set the alarm after falling asleep around 4-5am GMT. Changing the time is not going to happen I guess but 7am GMT is just an odd time for me.

Lets say it started in half an hour, which would be 2am here, that would be 1030am which is probably a bit early for the locals. P3 was 3am GMT and I just made the qualifying at 6am but the race is one step too far. Practice 1 was on around 2.00-3.30am GMT, would just love the race to be starting now.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you're a second faster or a minute faster - you're still in front, and that's what counts.

It does matter. If you're a minute off and in 2nd place, it does not give much hope to the team for the race :sly:, same goes for say couple of seconds if the session was done in the dry and with no problems. I do get your point though.

Race pace will be interesting, do Red Bull really have something like a second a lap advantage? We shall soon find out. Button will probably allow that to happen anyway so he can attack later in the race (Hope it is not 2 seconds a lap slower then :sly:). I forgot about Massa starting a place behind Lewis, should be interesting battle considering how well the Ferrari usually starts.

Also imagine this scenario Vettel having a failure with a few laps to go and Lewis in 2nd and Jenson in 3rd place, McLaren team orders the big story of the day. Rosberg will be one to watch too with his fresh tyres.

Now I said all this, it will probably be a boring race.

That's not what I meant. My point was that even if Vettel was 0.009 seconds faster than Button in qualifying, the important thing is that he was faster than Button in qualifying.

I know what you mean. That is why I said I do get your point even if it wasn't the best way to put it ;).

I think I'm going to have to nip out to the 24hr Tesco to get some Redbull in to keep me awake for the race :D, 7am start here!

I'm guessing Bathurst coverage on Speed is going to run over...I enjoy it, but prefer F1 more. Might have to look elsewhere to catch this race.

Right now, the Bathurst 1000 should finish around 5pm local time, which is when Suzuka starts. So barring an extended safety cars, we should be okay.

Pfft, yeah, I forgot there was another 1hr45min before the race. I thought it started in 45 min, same time as P2 and Q, but it's an hour later than those. In that case, yeah I think it will be ok.

7am start here in the UK.

I got up 3 hours earlier, watching the pre-race show in a few minutes.

Cheering for Button and Kobayashi :) I really hope Red Bull end their super reliability streak today, to delay the title battle further.

Must have misread, I thought this was the F1 thread???

Anyway, I think Hamilton has something to prove today, so i'm going for a Hamilton, Button, Vettel finish, in that order.

Hopefully Kobayashi gets some good points.

I get the feeling that one of the Mclaren will get the lead somehow.
And i hope to see Kamikaze driving by Kobay after i missed the last year race. :D

I get the feeling that one of the Mclaren will get the lead somehow.
And i hope to see Kamikaze driving by Kobay after i missed the last year race. :D

To be honest, he doesnt have to, he has his best qualifying starting from 7th, He just needs to keep it in one piece!

Latest Posts

Back