2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 480 comments
There is one way to solve this...TO the FIA website!

EDIT:

Further research shows that Jackington is correct, thus Kimi is not sulking this time

Rubens has the fastest lap @ 1:13.622 for Montreal

Screwed up, big time. They released Hamilton way too late from the pits.
They released them both too late. Hamilton caught Button at the triangle and slowed down and was jumped by Webber, who got his lap in, and by Schumacher, who didn't.

How they can't find a clear space (on a track of that length) that only had 7 cars on it escapes me. :confused:

I hope we get qualifying tyres next season, these non event quali's are tedious.
No, not qualifying tyres, but extra tyres solely for use during qualifying. I believe that's what you meant anyway, but just clarifying it.

And Jackington is completely correct in that a lap record can only be set during a race.

Whitmarsh said Hamilton was told not to hang back on the outlap. Why was he backing up like that then?

Props to Vettel for yet another pole. He looked a bit surprised about that.

I'm hoping for a big race from Button from 2nd on the grid.

I also wonder how fast the Ferrari's will be off the line.

I don't like to see this policy of not doing qualifying laps. I think drivers that do that should go to the back of the grid.

No, not qualifying tyres, but extra tyres solely for use during qualifying. I believe that's what you meant anyway, but just clarifying it.

That would be the best thing. Take today, Kobayashi, used his best tyres to give the crowd, something to remember to get to q3, then done a parade lap in q3 on hards as not to ruin his race.

They should allow two sets of each of the softer and harder compounds for the race, which cant be touched. Before qualifying the teams, should be made to decide which of these tyres they will start with, which is what they do currently be not running in q3.

Then all the drivers all get the same compound for qualifying.

Qualifying should be an all out shoot out to who can do the fastest hot lap.
Race strategy should not compromise qualifying entertainment.

If they need to use more tyres after their initial 4 sets, then they can use tyres used from qualifying.

For some unknown reason I just can't stop laughing at this.

d11jpn1434.jpg

A very costly mistake by the McLaren team and Lewis Hamilton, still Button got beaten by just 0.006 of a second is just unbelievable. Stunning show by Kamui Kobayashi to ambush into Q3 while both the Renaults seem to have found their speed back.

This can't be missed for tomorrow, but seems like I have a feeling that Vettel won't get away pretty easily this time.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lewis won this GP... right behind Vettel... if Vettel gets all defensive on Button, Hamilton could take the place from both of them. It all depends on the start.

Hamilton doing a Senna on Vettel at turn 1 is more likely.

I still think Webber could win this, 6th isn't where he should be his last run preperation was disrupted by the McLewis road block, and when Hamilton takes the top 3 out he has a quicker car than Alonso.

Hamilton said something to the effect of webber and Schumacher somehow messed him up. He said "It was all very strange"

Whatever. Im glad he didn't have a chance for pole. He doesn't deserve it.

No one has the right to say someone doesn't deserve pole position. What did he do this time that makes him undeserving of pole?

The Hate is strong within you, young Skywalker.

I was bitterly disappointed that Lewis couldn't get a lap, because that pole would've been his almost surely. Nine thousandths, Lewis is usually something like a tenth or 2 at most faster than Button in qualifying trim, it ought to have been his.

No one has the right to say someone doesn't deserve pole position. What did he do this time that makes him undeserving of pole?

Drove too slow, Button was quicker as was Vettel (in a slower car), whoever is quickest gets and deserves pole.

Vettel was quickest when it counted. He was quicker than Button in Q2 as well. So what if Button was quickest in Free Practice and Q1? They're inconsequential (and if Vettel hadn't destroyed his front wing, he probably would have beaten Button in practice). Under your logic, whoever is fast enough to be on pole position deserves to be there. Vettel was fast enough; ergo, he deserves it.

I was bitterly disappointed that Lewis couldn't get a lap, because that pole would've been his almost surely.

Shame really.. this would have been one of the tightest qualys of the season. In a case like this they should allow them drive the lap for the sake of the the sport and fans. Like wasn't this a matter of seonds? I know rules are rules, but I don't get if this was miscommunication or miscalculation?

Vettel was quickest when it counted. He was quicker than Button in Q2 as well. So what if Button was quickest in Free Practice and Q1? They're inconsequential (and if Vettel hadn't destroyed his front wing, he probably would have beaten Button in practice). Under your logic, whoever is fast enough to be on pole position deserves to be there. Vettel was fast enough; ergo, he deserves it.

Let's not forget Jenson and Vettel were only seperated by 0.009 though.
Gonna be a great race for sure.

A very costly mistake by the McLaren team and Lewis Hamilton, still Button got beaten by just 0.006 of a second is just unbelievable. Stunning show by Kamui Kobayashi to ambush into Q3 while both the Renaults seem to have found their speed back.

This can't be missed for tomorrow, but seems like I have a feeling that Vettel won't get away pretty easily this time.

May not be that costly. McLaren have had good race pace in most races this year and will be very competitive. It should be a good battle and I'm really looking forward to the race tomorrow. 👍

Hamilton is in a great position, he didnt smash the crap out of his tyres like all the other drivers around him did with their flying laps, and he is starting from 3rd, if the race pace is good then Hamilton stands a good chance of winning the race. Lets not forget that Button in second has been consistantly fast all weekend and that he was running the same pace as Vettel in Q3.

Gonna be an interesting race, Vettel will almost definitely win the championship here but i think the race could go down to either of those 3.

Back