2011 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 329 comments
Ireland
Ireland
The__Luke
2011 SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

After yet another win at Monza, it's now very possible that Vettel can clinch the title in the streets of Singapore, let's not worry about that now shall we and we can just have a good race!

Singapore-Street-Circuit-Track-Map-2010.jpg

61 laps, 309.087 km (192.066 mi)
2010 Alonso pole lap

Drivers standings:
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 284
2 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 172
3 Jenson Button McLaren 167
4 Mark Webber Red Bull 167
5 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 158
6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 82
7 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 56
8 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 52

Tyres are super-soft and soft.

As of now I'm unaware of the DRS zone but I would presume it's between turns 5 and 7.

Thunderstorms forecasted for the weekend.

Last edited:
Oh the humanatee! Its Monday! (jk, annoys the crap out of me when people say it)

I would love to see it rain, wet under the lights would look great and provide an immense race. Bring it on!

After yet another win at Monza, it's now very possible that he can clinch the title in the streets of Singapore, let's not worry about that now shall we and we can just have a good race!

Who is 'he'? :mischievous:

@ C-ZETA

That german kid... quick... in fastest car... no-one likes him... thinks he is a team number one.... Michael :D

Who is 'he'? :mischievous:

AAAHHHHH, I was originally going to say after "Vettel won in Monza, he has a great chance..." but changed it to "after his win in Monza, Vettel has a " just forgetting to say the crucial word
@ C-ZETA

That german kid... quick... in fastest car... no-one likes him... thinks he is a team number one.... Michael :D

Well said.:)

@ C-ZETA

You forgot to add - does wierd things with finger -...

:dopey:

About the thunderstorms:there all allways thunderstorms predicted there,so its just a question of will they come before ,after,or next to the circuit... :sly:

spy.

Looking forward to this race, two factors to be consider are the authentic advantage that RB might have over the other teams and the circuit layout. I expect some action between McLaren and RB, Ferrari is not that far away from them in performance and maybe Mercedes will have a chance to get within the top 5.

Having said that, I will restrain myself for mentioning anything about the immediateness of this thread, otherwise mods might slap a bitch(figurative).

Not a fan of this track; especially when playing F1 2010; too many walls :)

Oh the humanatee! Its Monday! (jk, annoys the crap out of me when people say it)

I would love to see it rain, wet under the lights would look great and provide an immense race. Bring it on!

Too much rain (as in Montreal) and it may mean red flag (too much water to drain all at once. I can't imagine how hard to follow a car through spray and not glance off a wall on that circuit :scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually interested to see what happens when it rains. We've never had a night race in the rain before. I wonder how it might fair with the lights. Could produce an exciting race if nobody can see.:D

I believe that, in the event of a wet race, it will actually be held on Sunday afternoon. This came up when the first race was held; a lot of people were worried that it would rain and visibility would be greatly reduced (even though the lights make it brighter than in the day). If the FIA believes there is a chance of rain - particularly heavy rain - the race will be brought forward.

The problem is that the sporting regulations dictate that qualifying and the race must take place under the same conditions. This mostly means that they have to take place at the same time; the FIA cannot control te weather. However, there are exceptions to this - if conditions are considered so bad that qualifying cannot take place, it can be abandoned and resumed on Sunday morning.

I believe that, in the event of a wet race, it will actually be held on Sunday afternoon. This came up when the first race was held; a lot of people were worried that it would rain and visibility would be greatly reduced (even though the lights make it brighter than in the day). If the FIA believes there is a chance of rain - particularly heavy rain - the race will be brought forward.

The problem is that the sporting regulations dictate that qualifying and the race must take place under the same conditions. This mostly means that they have to take place at the same time; the FIA cannot control te weather. However, there are exceptions to this - if conditions are considered so bad that qualifying cannot take place, it can be abandoned and resumed on Sunday morning.

I wonder how that would work with speed channel and it being on? I guess we will have to wait and see!

Well, they'd have to reschedule it wouldn't they? Driver and spectator safety cannot be compromised because rescheduling is inconvenient for a broadcaster.

Honestly, I don't even see why visibility would be reduced due to rain. I can't be the only person whose noticed that it is slightly brighter on a cloudy night than a clear night, because the light from the city cannot escape into space. So if anything, if my science and eyes serve me well, it will be even brighter :lol:

I assume the problem with visibility lies with the floodlights reflection of the wet track, but even so, I don't see it being much of a problem.

Of course. Any network broadcasting the race will still broadcast it live, even in the event of the race being rescheduled.

I wonder when they'll make the decision to reschedule the race, if they make that decision.

Wasn't Friday practice last year under wet conditions, as I remember them saying that the spray had a negligible affect on the lighting. Obvious different if cars are bunched together on track as per race conditions.

I can't see the race being brought forward though, not a problem for the broadcasters, but more for the fans not prepared... Unless they show a re-run where the race was originally planned to be aired? I would have thought they'd give the race every chance possible to run at night, and then if it was too bad delay the race until Monday instead which I've seen Nascar have been doing a lot lately.

(Just to note, this isn't an attack Interludes or me not believing you... Just thought for discussion :))

They cannot bring an event foward because of a rain threat. Regulations prohibit. They have to wait until the time scheduled and then decide to delay for a few minutes/hours. If conditions dont improve after a long wait, they can instead postpone it to Monday. It is what would have happened with Canada if rain had not stopped. I think it has happened before.

By the way, where are you seeing this thunderstorm threats for race time? Autosport.com mentions very low chance of rain for the weekend nights.

When Pedro De La Rosa was doing a test at Yas Marina for Pirelli, they tested it in the dark on an artificially wet track, so they have already thought of this eventuality.

Heavy rain - driver visibility and hydro-planing; I agree they would try again on Monday if red flagged all Sunday.

And Speed channel does broadcast postponed races sometimes; TSN in Canada as well.

Going to be a real crapshoot when I make my Fantasy F1 race pics :yuck:

Your weather prediction makes me :lol: there are not many days in that part of the world without a thunderstorm. Usualy it happens during the day. I would love it if it was a wet race though.

He needs to win the race and Alonso can be no higher than 4th. So it is a very real possibility, although I think it is more likely to happen in Japan.

Is it a real possibility that Vettel can peg the title this weekend? Or are we being too optimistic?

I get the feeling that Vettel will clinch the title this Sunday, although I would much rather see the drivers championship battle continue in Japan instead of it ending this weekend. In the event of a wet race though (which still looks likely), I'm not sure how well Vettel would do exactly. If he manages to get pole on Saturday and depending on what position Alonso will start the race, then there's still a real chance that Vettel can win this year's title by the end of this weekend.

Also, the prospect of thunderstorms occuring during this weekend's Grand Prix is an interesting one, plus I'll be hoping that McLaren get a good result on Sunday as well.

All this "I hope Vettel will not become champion this weekend" is weird. Does it really make a difference when? He is going to be the champion anyway.

I couldn't care when Vettel becomes champion, I just hope he doesn't win the Grand Prix, cause the majority of the time, he leads most of the race, when the other drivers are strong, they have a good race to the front, instead of to second. Of course he could surprise everyone and make it exciting, like Monaco, but usually he's just to good and every piece of luck goes his way. He's got all his luck by being up the front, even when things shouldn't be going his way, like Monaco, and Canada for most of the race.

Is it a real possibility that Vettel can peg the title this weekend? Or are we being too optimistic?
Oh, it is. If he doesn't win the championship, then he basically just has to finish in Japan and a second title is his.

Imo, this is by far the silliest track on the calender. The surface/area of the track was never meant for racing, and I believe this can be seen on the cars racing. I don't see any real "flow" in the race on this track. It's too many straights to 90 degree turns.

And about all this Vettel chat.. come on! He probably will win this weekend, but even more sure is that he will be this seasons champion.

If it rains, I give it to Hamilton. Best driver in the rain. If it doesn't Vettel will get it.

I think anyone but the Red Bulls will get it. Vettel may or may not be the best in the rain, but the Red Bulls are horrible.

Imo, this is by far the silliest track on the calender. The surface/area of the track was never meant for racing, and I believe this can be seen on the cars racing. I don't see any real "flow" in the race on this track. It's too many straights to 90 degree turns.

And about all this Vettel chat.. come on! He probably will win this weekend, but even more sure is that he will be this seasons champion.

Agree wholeheartedly 👍 Least favourite game circuit too :yuck:

Loading my F1 2011 game now:)

Back