2011 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 329 comments
Are you on about the Maldonado incident when Lewis was finishing the final corner in Spa to complete his flying lap. That incident is different as this is on a outlap.

Here are qualifying reactions from both.

-Video-

After race Massa.

-Video-

Going back to qualifying, have you seen Vettel's pole lap.

-Video-

Amazing bravery and skill after 1:35. Corrects a slide in the end with full throttle and puts DRS on straight away and gets a twitch and corrects it while right next to a barrier (This was first Q3 lap). Then very early on in the final corner he activates it. Amazing how good the Red Bull car is too, the handling characteristics is very similar to last years car.

I woke up just in time to see the replay on that lap and it was a bit daring to say the least. But on the subject of Massa/Hamilton he was trying to be overly courageous during an out lap? For what good reason? :odd:

And did Massa say maybe he should get Hamilton's dad to manage him, or was he referring to Hamilton? If it's the former that's a bit of a low blow...understandably so giving how he feels but that's just vulgar. :lol:

Are you being serious with that statement. You saw him fight it out with Alonso early on in the race and many other races. He definately is trying to win his first race.

Uh yeah, no he wasn't...he said it himself before the break that he was going to try hard for the second half due to how well he ran on the last race before the three week shutdown. I also proclaimed how glad I was to see him fighting and even though I'm a bigger Jenson fan I actually wanted to see him catch and get second or run off and have a chance for a win. Go back and read my post and you'll see, but if you're going to ramble on blank ammo then be my guest. I think this was one of the best races he's had all season.

Hamilton certainly requires a personal manager. Just too many of these little glitches in his racecraft.

The rest of his race went swimmingly... He was just aggressive enough to get back up despite being tire-handicapped because of the punctured super-softs. I wonder how much the lack of tires hurt Massa, since Lewis robbed him of half-a-stint.

It's frustrating. Lewis is, 90% of the time, fantastic. And 9% of the time, he's okay. And then there's that 1% that's incredibly...

Near the end, though, Lewis almost repeated the Massa incident with Rosberg... which would have put him out of the race and earned him a grid penalty for the next race.

---

I wouldn't want to be McLaren right now. They've got a championship level car, but one driver can't find those extra 5/10ths in qualifying to put it on pole and the other can't find his brain come race day.

I woke up just in time to see the replay on that lap and it was a bit daring to say the least. But on the subject of Massa/Hamilton he was trying to be overly courageous during an out lap? For what good reason? :odd:

And did Massa say maybe he should get Hamilton's dad to manage him, or was he referring to Hamilton? If it's the former that's a bit of a low blow...understandably so giving how he feels but that's just vulgar. :lol:

If you see Hamilton's interview, he says he was ready to get going and didn't want to get backed up.

I don't quite understand what Massa said, something like his father can imagine / manage me.

Uh yeah, no he wasn't...he said it himself before the break that he was going to try hard for the second half due to how well he ran on the last race before the three week shutdown. I also proclaimed how glad I was to see him fighting and even though I'm a bigger Jenson fan I actually wanted to see him catch and get second or run off and have a chance for a win. Go back and read my post and you'll see, but if you're going to ramble on blank ammo then be my guest. I think this was one of the best races he's had all season.

He has been trying hard all season to close the gap to Sebastian in regards to tyre management and speed. I see him trying to win but it just has not worked out for him yet. His twitter username is AussieGrit for a reason.

Hamilton certainly requires a personal manager. Just too many of these little glitches in his racecraft.

The rest of his race went swimmingly... He was just aggressive enough to get back up despite being tire-handicapped because of the punctured super-softs. I wonder how much the lack of tires hurt Massa, since Lewis robbed him of half-a-stint.

It's frustrating. Lewis is, 90% of the time, fantastic. And 9% of the time, he's okay. And then there's that 1% that's incredibly...

Near the end, though, Lewis almost repeated the Massa incident with Rosberg... which would have put him out of the race and earned him a grid penalty for the next race.

---

I wouldn't want to be McLaren right now. They've got a championship level car, but one driver can't find those extra 5/10ths in qualifying to put it on pole and the other can't find his brain come race day.

His father thinks so too. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2041725/Singapore-Grand-Prix-2011-Felipe-Massa-says-Lewis-Hamilton-thinks-hes-Superman.html

The lack of tyres did not cost Massa but the strategy did. See the interview I posted on the page before.

I can't remember Rosberg overtake but you can say that about a lot of overtakes.

The car is not as good as the Red Bulls. There is a reason why Red Bull have been strong at all races this year and have got pole position in all of them so far. I think McLaren will be reasonably happy, they will be more annoyed about lack of outright pace of the car compared to Red Bull and the mistakes the team made rather than how much better their drivers could have done.

Last edited:
If you see Hamilton's interview, he says he was ready to get going and didn't want to get backed up.

Yeah I heard, which I asked what I did. You didn't want to get held up? Fine. Don't try to squeeze through a corner you're not going to get through.

And then he says "I finally got past", more like "Massa finally let me by".

Yeah I heard, which I asked what I did. You didn't want to get held up? Fine. Don't try to squeeze through a corner you're not going to get through.

And then he says "I finally got past", more like "Massa finally let me by".

He was just showing his intention and was hoping for Massa to yield. It worked out in the end but Hamilton might have been better to let Massa go and start his lap a bit further back as he said he got held up by Alonso.

He has been trying hard all season to close the gap to Sebastian in regards to tyre management and speed. I see him trying to win but it just has not worked out for him yet. His twitter username is AussieGrit for a reason.

I know this...he said he didn't feel it in an interview -which I will have to find in the F1 Fanatic archives- and said he was looking forward to the second half of the season due to his strong finish before the three week break. He may have been trying but he was still having issues with his team treating him like number two as we saw earlier this season. When you don't feel support that kind of also hinders his winning ability. The car isn't that much further than the RB6 and yet he has troubles with it like it's an RB4. The Mark Webber of 2010 isn't lengths of ahead of this years Mark Webber.

Vettel could've won by a country mile but just saved the car once he got the 10 second gap to Button (at the start and the restart).

So, there wasn't an issue with the RB6 car? It seemed like he went into fuel conservation mode or something. I know Vettel can manage a lead (it's not hard when the RB6 is that much better than any other car) but letting it go from 12+ seconds (I think) down to 3-4 seconds didn't seem like management as much as some issue with the car. Button needed maybe two more laps and that traffic not to be there and maybe, just maybe we could've had a repeat of Canada.

I hope next year McLaren can field a car that is the equal of the RB6 so we can see whether Button or Hamilton can repeat. Hell, I hope anyone can field a car equal to the RB6.

Last edited:
I hope next year McLaren can field a car that is the equal of the RB6 so we can see whether Button or Hamilton can repeat. Hell, I hope anyone can field a car equal to the RB6.

My guess is that when blown diffusers are outlawed, RBR will be back to where we saw them at Silverstone - at or near the front, not miles down the road.

Or perhaps they'll pull another rabbit out of the hat. Their bag of tricks seems limitless this season. That camber thing at Spa was absolute genius.

Red Bull might lose out when the blown diffusers are outlawed... but by then they may have figured out a way to get along without it...

Vettel would probably would have probably finished 20-30 seconds ahead if it weren't for the safety car and traffic. The time Button lost in traffic at the end was probably the same amount Vettel lost as Vettel had to go past the same cars. It was not free time he gained on Button as he lost the time first.

And if you read all of my post, I acknowledged the fact that the safety car worked to Button's advantage. The safety car happened independantly of the leader battle, drivers and teams have to account for things like this, whether it plays to their advantage or not. On the restart Button was held up enough to mean that his final charge on the last stint fell short. Without the safety car, I agree he wouldn't have come close. Button was held up by a driver who was breaking the rules and was penalised for it, which means the time he lost was no different in nature (Not total time lost) to the time Massa lost after contact with Hamilton.

Unlike the BBC team, I do not believe that traffic that both drivers came across (Like the two Williams' battling for position) held Jenson up more than they did Vettel. Infact looking at some of the laptimes, I would argue they held up Vettel more.

Vettel could've won by a country mile but just saved the car once he got the 10 second gap to Button (at the start and the restart).

If there had been no safety car, yes. Vettel had a big cushion after the first stint but used too much fuel and had to save it in the final stint. Button was always going to catch up after the safety car due to the different fuel/engine modes; it was just a matter of how much he caught up. Button's attack at the end only fell short because of Kobayashi. A penalty is deserved but it's just as much an injustice as Massa being wiped out by Hamilton because at the end he lost the opportunity to win the race.

Anyway we know Vettel won so my point is irrelevant. Kobayashi was penalised so the Stewards have done what they can. Hopefully they will make a designated overtaking point during a safety car for cars lapping over drivers or something. I preferred the time when the safety car would collect the cars in race order.

I think next year Ferrari will be a stronger force. We saw in Silverstone how they seemed more competitive without the blown diffuser and went on to win that race (Yes, Vettel's pitstop probably had something to do with it, but you can't deny Ferrari were easily matching their pace).

EDIT: I wonder... If Vettel retires in Japan and the two Mclarens are leading after that, would Hamilton move over for Button? :D

Last edited:
So, there wasn't an issue with the RB6 car? It seemed like he went into fuel conservation mode or something. I know Vettel can manage a lead (it's not hard when the RB6 is that much better than any other car) but letting it go from 12+ seconds (I think) down to 3-4 seconds didn't seem like management as much as some issue with the car. Button needed maybe two more laps and that traffic not to be there and maybe, just maybe we could've had a repeat of Canada.

You mean the RB7? :)

I don't believe Vettel had any issues with his car. He said he was "in control" after the race. And mentioned something about the margin dropping because of traffic. I guess he wanted to be extra careful lapping the backmarkers.

I woke up at 7:00am EST this morning just to watch it :D

The Japanese Grand Prix starts at 2:00am. Guess I'll be up all night. 👍

Last edited:
And did Massa say maybe he should get Hamilton's dad to manage him, or was he referring to Hamilton? If it's the former that's a bit of a low blow...understandably so giving how he feels but that's just vulgar. :lol:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
He said that "Hamilton doesn't even listen to his father, can you imagine (him listening to) me?"

I hate Massa's accent when speaking in English. It's even worse than Ayrton's. Not that mine is any better, but you'd think that someone who communicates in English on a daily basis would eventually get better at it.

Kettle, Vettel; Kettle, Vettel..... c'mon Coulthard get the name right in time to announce the World Champion :ouch:

You can tell Brundle is getting tired of reminding David it is Vettel (as in Kettle :dopey:

C'mon Da vid Coulth ard :)

Last edited:
Alright guys slightley off topic here but,is there a place to watch highlights of a race but in a Highquality slow motion kind of way sort of like when you go in a tv store and they have a mini f1 compilation .It's really beautifull and I love these sort of vidoes so are there any website or youtube users that upload such stuff.

:cheers:

I think this latest tirade against Hamilton is mainly due to past exploits rather than this weekend alone. He has every right in qualifying to try to get track position, though trying to overtake out the tunnel was never going to work. His incident with Massa was clearly an accident, no one hopes to lose their front wing, give themselves an extra stop and a penalty for 1 position.

Having seen his "performances" this year though and of course previously too, he has earnt himself that reputation which he is really going to struggle to break away from. He needs a full season of zero contact for people to even consider him as a decent driver once again.

I'm not defending Hamilton, but it certainly wasn't the worst offences to grace Formula 1, not even recently.

In my view, Massa's tirade is less about Hamilton and more about his own inadequacy.

He is a shadow of the driver he used to be and it's getting to him.

He should retire at the end of this season unless he actually likes being Alonso's bitch.

Kettle, Vettel; Kettle, Vettel..... c'mon Coulthard get the name right in time to announce the World Champion :ouch:

You can tell Brundle is getting tired of reminding David it is Vettel (as in Kettle :dopey:

But a Scotsman doesn't even say kettle the same way as Brundle does. If we go by our pronunciation of kettle, we'd say Vetul as in ketul so it would still wrong.

I hate it when Brundle says that... esp. since Vettel is not spelled "Vettle" (as in "Kettle")... hence, the 'Vet L' pronunciation that DC uses is quite common.

My German friend assures me it's pronounced more like 'Vet'll' (as in "My dog is sick, but the vet'll take care of it") - subtlely different, but more abrupt than 'Vettle'...

Some Germans also pronounce it Fettel which is also correct. I think he's got plenty of easy names to pronounce:
Seb, F1 World Champion, Finger boy, "The Finger", Helmet-changer, Helmut Marko's favourite...

:P

Seb, F1 World Champion, Finger boy, "The Finger", Helmet-changer, Helmut Marko's favourite...

:lol: Awesome discovery other than ''The Finger''!

I think during the German GP, Inside Racing made a little look at Vettel's fan base and they simply pronounce Vettel as ''Fettle''. And that's the way I pronounce his name until today...

One of the presenters from Fast Lane Daily (Youtube Channel) interviewed Vettel prior to the Canada Grand Prix. Anyway, the presenter said that Vettel told him his name is pronounced "Fettle".

I think you (English native) guys don't need to worry much about those subtleties. But if you insist, go back to basics and start working on Alonso again. It's not "Alonsow". :P

I think you (English native) guys don't need to worry much about those subtleties. But if you insist, go back to basics and start working on Alonso again. It's not "Alonsow". :P

What is it then? Now I'm really confused :confused:

Interestingly, if we still used the old points system, then Vettel would now be world champion, 51 points ahead of Button.

In my view, Massa's tirade is less about Hamilton and more about his own inadequacy.

He is a shadow of the driver he used to be and it's getting to him.

He should retire at the end of this season unless he actually likes being Alonso's bitch.

I think Massa is signed through the end of 2012 though. Provided the 2012 Ferrari is better than this year's, Massa's going to have to do better than finishing 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th every Sunday...

And for those of you wondering about Renault's abysmal performance: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/173462/1/renault_admits_to_exhaust_error.html

Last edited:
Back