2011 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 329 comments
Vettel lost time too you know in the traffic, might be more than Button lost. Button cost himself by going a bit too slow and not maximising his tyres just that bit earlier.

Anyway I wonder if Vettel does his usual it's not over until it's over speech.

Yes when both drivers had to pass traffic they both lost time, but Vettel didn't lose 8 seconds on the safety car restart because a backmarker wouldn't move for a whole lap. Vettel did his slow, fuel saving stint at the end. Button did his on the second stint before the safety car.

Still, if it wasn't for the safety car, Button wouldn't have been in a position to win the race, so i'd say Vettel deserved the win (Even if I think had Button not been held up on the restart he would have breezed past him with 2 laps to go).

Yes when both drivers had to pass traffic they both lost time, but Vettel didn't lose 8 seconds on the safety car restart because a backmarker wouldn't move for a whole lap.

Instead he lost the entire gap he had to Button...

If Alonso was in a car that was as superior as the Red Bull and pretty much won everything I would still find it quite boring. Well done to Vettel though who is very quickly establishing himself as one of the true great drivers. He is becoming a superstar.

Yes when both drivers had to pass traffic they both lost time, but Vettel didn't lose 8 seconds on the safety car restart because a backmarker wouldn't move for a whole lap. Vettel did his slow, fuel saving stint at the end. Button did his on the second stint before the safety car.

Still, if it wasn't for the safety car, Button wouldn't have been in a position to win the race, so i'd say Vettel deserved the win (Even if I think had Button not been held up on the restart he would have breezed past him with 2 laps to go).

Vettel would probably would have probably finished 20-30 seconds ahead if it weren't for the safety car and traffic. The time Button lost in traffic at the end was probably the same amount Vettel lost as Vettel had to go past the same cars. It was not free time he gained on Button as he lost the time first.

Vettel could've won by a country mile but just saved the car once he got the 10 second gap to Button (at the start and the restart).

If Alonso was in a car that was as superior as the Red Bull and pretty much won everything I would still find it quite boring. Well done to Vettel though who is very quickly establishing himself as one of the true great drivers. He is becoming a superstar.

Agreed. It's more interesting if there is an actual fight for the championship like it had been in previous years.

Better race than I expected... but some of the driving was questionable... Hamilton... Schumacher... I'm still wondering if Rosberg's trip over the run-off on those first few corners wasn't entirely legal.

But whatever... as long as Button wins 2nd in the championship, I'm satisfied. :lol:

Michael Schumacher lost his way to turn in the next corner when he attempted to overtake Kamui after he got past Schumacher in the middle of the race, Schumi banged the barrior forcing the safety car being forced to be deployed. I'm kinda disappointed to see him dropping out of race though he no more had potential for preventing Kamui from passing him.

Button could only dream of getting past Vettel, but in the end it was Seb all the way!

You only need one more point, but go for the win in Japan! Forza Vettel! Forza Red Bull!

Driver of the day is Seb, with Di Resta getting honors as well.

Vettel lacked only 1 point to ensure his 2nd honour of world champion Button ultimately coming up in 2nd 1.5 seconds behind him, the following Japanese GP would be much more an exceptional one to judge whether the title can be awarded to Vettel or not as well as cheering/celebrating for reconstruction from the March earthquake. ;)

I thought it was a little odd that Hamilton got a penalty and Rosberg didn't. Essentially the offence was the same one - both drivers put themselves into gaps that weren't really going to be there much longer, locked up attempting to get out of it and tagged another, unfortunate driver. Hamilton was unlucky to lose his front wing, Massa was very unlucky to get a puncture and Rosberg and Perez were both quite lucky to survive the wheel smacking intact (also, how did Perez's car survive the Schumacher impact? Lawks). Both drivers caused an avoidable collision - in one both cars were damaged and had to pit, in the other neither were damaged or had to pit - and yet the penalties were different?

Button made the newer tyres work well at the end - I think he also nabbed the fastest lap to prevent Vettel scoring a Grand Slam (last one was Alonso at Singapore 2010) - but ultimately he was only ever going to win the race by going one stop less than Vettel.

I thought it was a little odd that Hamilton got a penalty and Rosberg didn't. Essentially the offence was the same one - both drivers put themselves into gaps that weren't really going to be there much longer, locked up attempting to get out of it and tagged another, unfortunate driver. Hamilton was unlucky to lose his front wing, Massa was very unlucky to get a puncture and Rosberg and Perez were both quite lucky to survive the wheel smacking intact (also, how did Perez's car survive the Schumacher impact? Lawks). Both drivers caused an avoidable collision - in one both cars were damaged and had to pit, in the other neither were damaged or had to pit - and yet the penalties were different?

That's the FIA stewarding for you :lol:

Button made the newer tyres work well at the end - I think he also nabbed the fastest lap to prevent Vettel scoring a Grand Slam (last one was Alonso at Singapore 2010) - but ultimately he was only ever going to win the race by going one stop less than Vettel.

To be honest, Rosberg was more in the wrong than Hamilton! Surely Hamiltons penalty should have been losing the front wing? :/

Too many penalties in F1 these days...

That's the FIA stewarding for you :lol:

They are harsh only on people called Lewis Hamilton :sly:.

Did you see Massa being sarcastic to Lewis, Lewis had a moment when he needed to hold back. He kept his control, funny he mentioned this a few days back.

"If someone punches you in the face, how hard is it not to punch them back?

"At school, it's hard, unless you're scared, it's hard to hold back. That's the kind of control you need to have."

What can I say? Driver of the day Paul Di Resta.

Shocked by that level of quality from the young man.

Destined for great things. :D

More and more, I'm thinking there are good odds of Hamilton being out of F1 in 2013. He doesn't seem to realize there are no options for him at the other top teams (RBR and Ferrari don't want him and Mercedes has a talent surplus in the pipeline) yet continues to bad-mouth the McLaren operation. Singapore was a disaster for him more for what happened off-track than for the on-track addition to his growing list of misdemeanors (unnecessary clash with Massa). Wouldn't be surprised to see Di Resta in that seat if Mercedes opts to keep its lineup German.

Another bad race for Kobayashi too. Not good when you're being name-checked in the podium press conference by Jenson Button as a backmarker who doesn't know when to move over.

Agreed that DiR is set for a future at McLaren, unless the Force come up with an awesome car sometime soon. Next year is crucial for Hams, but Button is on the rise again performance wise!

Can't say I blame Massa to be honest. Twice in the same race? I'm telling you, if Hamilton keeps this 🤬 up he's going to find himself in a fight of some kind.

EDIT: Hah. I meant twice in the same location, not race. Fail on my part.

Why di Resta and not Sutil? Have you seen the WDC lately? Which FI driver is ahead of the other?

I'm sorry but saying that di Resta is first in line for a McLaren seat is a bit too much, yeah he's a good driver, but everyone treats him as the next big thing, when he is really not, at least in my eyes, showing much possibility to be a future champion.

Can't say I blame Massa to be honest. Twice in the same race? I'm telling you, if Hamilton keeps this 🤬 up he's going to find himself in a fight of some kind.

EDIT: Hah. I meant twice in the same location, not race. Fail on my part.

He only made contact once. Anyway Lewis did better than Webber did last race after breaking his front wing going into the back of Massa. Massa has been very unlucky this season. Lewis has got a good result out of this race just like in Monaco given the circumstances he found himself in. He could still finish 2nd in the Championship if things start going better for him. Massa should do the talking when he is getting more points though, Lewis has got double the points of Massa driving like he does and also one WDC :sly:.

More and more, I'm thinking there are good odds of Hamilton being out of F1 in 2013. He doesn't seem to realize there are no options for him at the other top teams (RBR and Ferrari don't want him and Mercedes has a talent surplus in the pipeline) yet continues to bad-mouth the McLaren operation. Singapore was a disaster for him more for what happened off-track than for the on-track addition to his growing list of misdemeanors (unnecessary clash with Massa). Wouldn't be surprised to see Di Resta in that seat if Mercedes opts to keep its lineup German.

Another bad race for Kobayashi too. Not good when you're being name-checked in the podium press conference by Jenson Button as a backmarker who doesn't know when to move over.

He had an awful weekend to begin with and wasn't really good at all. I don't see any sympathy for the guy and Jenson had the right to name him out. It annoys me in all auto racing when a slow lapped car tries to race a car on the lead lap. Like Jenson said their is an obvious reason he was there and he should have known better. If he wants to be seen as a respectable driver to top teams and not a risk to damage the top teams equipment then he should probably move over. That is what seperates you for the lapped guy that destroyed the McLaren and the guy who just let him storm on to a podium.

EDIT:

I was pretty mad with Lewis not bettering himself for the race, but I think that Massa has issues out there he gets thrashed every race since last year by his team mate. Yet he seems to be trying to run hard with the other top guys, but can't work the 150th like Alonso. If it were just a Hamilton thing this year with Massa I'd put alot more blame on Hamilton, but it has been other drivers too and I think Massa needs to rethink his way of driving. Also the pass that Webber pulled on Alonso was great, something I've been looking to see from Webber for a while now.

He only made contact once. Anyway Lewis did better than Webber did last race after breaking his front wing going into the back of Massa. Massa has been very unlucky this season. Lewis has got a good result out of this race just like in Monaco given the circumstances he found himself in. He could still finish 2nd in the Championship if things start going better for him. Massa should do the talking when he is getting more points though, Lewis has got double the points of Massa driving like he does and also one WDC :sly:.

And that somehow excuses the situations he's found himself in at practically every venue this year?

And I actually missed qualifying (which is where the first incident was, right?) so I'm mainly going off of what I've read.

And that somehow excuses the situations he's found himself in at practically every venue this year?

And I actually missed qualifying (which is where the first incident was, right?) so I'm mainly going off of what I've read.

He is not doing that badly compared to Button, Alonso or Webber and that is because he has not been involved in so many incidents that will cost him a lot of points. He has had two retirements and a few costly incidents. If he was doing so badly he would be further than 18 points away from Button who has been on a good run. Fortunes could reverse next race and BBC people could be talking about Lewis taking hold of being team leader by going ahead of Button in the championship or the opposite might happen which might be more likely :sly:.

Here you go:

At that moment I was wondering what Lewis was thinking. He was a bit too eager this race weekend.

Appreciate the video. 👍

So I'll just call them two episodes then, considering there's only been one actual incident. So basically he was trying to muscle in on Massa the same way he did to Maldonado. What is wrong with Lewis? I'm starting to think his father not being with him anymore actually does have something to do with his erratic behavior lately.

Appreciate the video. 👍

So I'll just call them two episodes then, considering there's only been one actual incident. So basically he was trying to muscle in on Massa the same way he did to Maldonado. What is wrong with Lewis? I'm starting to think his father not being with him anymore actually does have something to do with his erratic behavior lately.

Are you on about the Maldonado incident when Lewis was finishing the final corner in Spa to complete his flying lap. That incident is different as this is on a outlap.

Here are qualifying reactions from both.

After race Massa.

Going back to qualifying, have you seen Vettel's pole lap.

Amazing bravery and skill after 1:35. Corrects a slide in the end with full throttle and puts DRS on straight away and gets a twitch and corrects it while right next to a barrier (This was first Q3 lap). Then very early on in the final corner he activates it. Amazing how good the Red Bull car is too, the handling characteristics is very similar to last years car.

No it doesn't, but Massa hasn't done himself favors with others either and it seems like the Massa vs. Hamilton has gone on since '08. I see Hamilton incidents @ Monaco(stupid driving), Malaysia (both drivers penalized), Hungary, Belgian, Singapore. Main point is it doesn't seem like Hamilton has an issue every race.

Appreciate the video. 👍

Yeah Hamilton's father came out after the race and said the same thing. That he thinks Hamilton need a management figure and not a company trying to support him all the time.

Last edited:
I agree. Massa has had his moments of stupidity as well (one being letting Alonso by but that's neither here nor there), and him being as off-pace as he is which, honestly, I still attribute to his accident...but that still doesn't help his case either. He needs to reinvent himself as well.

As does Webber because he's beginning to go down a similar path of losing pace we know he's capable of.

I agree. Massa has had his moments of stupidity as well (one being letting Alonso by but that's neither here nor there), and him being as off-pace as he is which, honestly, I still attribute to his accident...but that still doesn't help his case either. He needs to reinvent himself as well.

As does Webber because he's beginning to go down a similar path of losing pace we know he's capable of.

Well seeing him actually start today on board I see why his starts are awful. He lights up the rear tires and gets no traction. I mean the guy bounced of the rev limiter on 3rd gear, watching him setup Alonso showed me that Webber doesn't suck just didn't have it all year long in his head probably. I like Webber but really cant cheer a guy who doesn't try on the track.

Well seeing him actually start today on board I see why his starts are awful. He lights up the tires and get no traction. I mean the guy bounced of the rev limiter on 3rd gear, watching him setup Alonso showed me that Webber doesn't suck just didn't have it all year long in his head probably. I like Webber but really cant cheer a guy who doesn't try on the track.

Are you being serious with that statement. You saw him fight it out with Alonso early on in the race and many other races. He definately is trying to win his first race.

Back