2011 German Grand Prix

Seems like your too happy from last weekend Peter. Let's see how FP3 and Quali go first, but we have the first prediction it seems. The rain looming is why I wont predict yet.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/22/teams-kinds-cockpit-protection/

In other F1 news this weekend look what was also talked about at a Nurburing press conference...closed cockpits seem to be back in talks again.

Taking a safety stand point, yes it would be good. But formula 1 should always be pushing the boundaries, and unfortunately this could mean that could be injuries suffered. No one wants to see this of course, but one of the reasons many watch f1 is to see man perform at the absolute limit, where us mortals will never be, and excel.
Closing off the cockpit, just seems a step too far, raising the side and front visor I would be happy with, but not completely cover.

Just wondering if any of you actually read the article or are just going off the fact I said closed cockpits and are dissapointed by that alone? Cause I'd say read the story before you post.

Closed cockpits are themselves dangerous in that they restrict the exit of the drivers from the cars. While a driver can strap out of his car in about 5 seconds now, they'll have the extra task of removing a roof, something that can't be done quickly and will be hazardous in case of fire, or if the drivers is injured from the crash, marshals won't be able to get him out easily. Then there's climate control in the cockpit, and visibility due to glare of sunlight or rain, or dust, dirt, etc.

Closed cockpits are themselves dangerous in that they restrict the exit of the drivers from the cars. While a driver can strap out of his car in about 5 seconds now, they'll have the extra task of removing a roof, something that can't be done quickly and will be hazardous in case of fire, or if the drivers is injured from the crash, marshals won't be able to get him out easily. Then there's climate control in the cockpit, and visibility due to glare of sunlight or rain, or dust, dirt, etc.

You forgot an electrical fire inside the cockpit. But I'm sure if they decide on a closed cockpit they would have sorted all those variables out beforehand.

Last edited:

mo fuggin ejection seat!!! :dunce:

Closed cockpits mmmmmm........Ground control to F1 driver; cleared for run!

I always thought F1 cars should have fighter jet style canopies. It's a lot safer (if they have a quick release in the event of a fire) and the cars should go faster with the aero advantage. All they need to do is sort out air conditioning and windscreen wipers!

One step closer to F1 one day becoming wipEout :sly:

No, he did not.

I wonder why.

FIA must have thought "why bother" or "who cares the race is over".

If i were Massa i would be redder than the ferrari i drive for the lack of a penalty.

One step closer to F1 one day becoming wipEout :sly:

I don't think the FIA will like plasma bolts being fired around.

Speed pads would be funny in F1

Even though the RBR, Ferrari, and McLaren cars have not set lap times since i last checked, the mercedes cars are outperforming all the rest so far. I hope they can do this well in the race!

Well, live timing says "STOP" for Chandhok....;)

Chandhok lost the back end of the car at turn 8, no drama though as he just bounced over the gravel and stalled the engine.

Hispania have finally gotten rid of the THIS COULD BE YOU decals:

hrt_kart_nurb_2011-2.jpg

THIS IS A COOL SPOT is still there, though. I imagine this is Thesan Capital's influence. It makes them look so much more professional.

"I bought a bag of nails and it didn't sound anything like a Renault" :lol:

And Rosberg does the fastest last sector? :odd:

Last edited:
Back