2011 GTP Automotive Calendar - Discussion - Sending End Date: December 3rd

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 133 comments
Canada
Titan

Tentative Date for the end of submissions to Giles: December 3rd, 23:59GMT

Remember to submit the legalese to him as well!

----

This year, the calendar is INVITE-ONLY.

Also good to note is that we haven't yet invited everyone on our magic list. So if you haven't been invited yet, it doesn't mean you're not in.

Hello everyone, welcome to the discussion of the next part in the creation of this calendar. (An example of it you will find here. As well as last years calendar here.)

You’ll find some of the original information below (the most relevant information at this stage – there is also a link to the original thread), and also the list of the current months taken, and the months available (which now they are all taken). Also, the “cover” as a month has been added, so if you want your image to be the cover....there will now be a poll about it.

What this thread is for, is any other ideas anyone has, and also to get the ball rolling on those photographs.

The best way to go about this, we think, is to post 3-5 (or more, if you really can't decide - but we would prefer if you did do your best to restrict it. You can also post less, if you wish.) of the photographs you feel are worthy for this calendar (in the usual thumbnail form, 400px on the longest side). A poll will be created once we have everyone’s contribution, a massive multiple-choice poll: where everyone picks each individual photographer’s best shot of those 3-5(+) selections. The best of each photographer will be what makes it in to the calendar. Feel free to change your entries and get feedback on them, anytime before the poll goes up.

Some important notes on those images:

-High-resolution. When posting the image, try to have it at least 1200px on the longest side in the full view shot, since the calendar will be in high resolution. When your image is chosen, we will ask for it in the highest resolution possible – however for the sake of loading times, 1200px is good for the poll. This is obviously with a watermark present - we don't want your work stolen!

-There are no limits on editing.

Thank you all for reading this, and I hope I will be getting to see your submissions soon. The months available is listed below – so if you haven’t claimed it yet – please do so!

Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

----

This is from last year, but I feel it's still relevant to those who didn't participate last year.

UPDATE

As Giles has already mentioned, the legal issues involved are not insignificant, and I cannot let the GTPlanet name or logo be used for profit in this way. Regardless, I still think this is an excellent idea and demonstration of our community's skills, and would be happy to "officially" support it under the condition that I am able to give all proceeds as a gift to a charitable donation. This gift would be given in addition to the funds gained via my traditional Christmas Premium promotion with the Alzheimer's Association.

Bringing charity into the mix helps you guys feel good about giving your work away, I won't feel bad for profiting off your work, and visitors will be more likely to purchase and enjoy your photography - all while contributing to a worthy cause.

With that said, I do not have time to manage or organize any of this, and the legal issues which Giles raised is still a large concern for me. I'll keep checking in to see where this project is headed - it would certainly make a wonderful annual tradition for the community. :)

--

...Each contributing photographer will need to confirm that they are the copyright holder, and that they are granting a non-exclusive, revocable license for the commercial reproduction of their photograph in this calendar plus all marketing and other dissemination required in the process of creating, advertising and distribution of the calendar.

I'll put together some wording that allows each artist to retain copyright over their images whilst still allowing for the production of the calendar. Once everyone's happy, I suggest creating a final calendar thread where each person posts their selected image, including the license text.

Jordan, I'll draw your attention to this thread when I think we need you to make a ruling.

Legalese
Legalese

In submitting this image, I (real name):
• Certify that I made this image, retain copyright on it, and indemnify GTPlanet and other organisations involved in the production of the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2011 from damages arising should this statement be proven incorrect;
• Grant a non-exclusive, non-revocable licence for the reproduction of this image in the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2011, accepting that all profits from the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2011 will be donated to Jordan Greer for charitable donation in accordance with his will;
• Grant a non-exclusive, revocable licence for the reproduction of this image in association with the marketing and publicity of the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2011 and future editions of the calendar as may be required;
• Understand that this does not affect my right to distribute – for commercial gain or otherwise – this image in accordance with the copyright I hold upon it..

--

Stay tuned for more updates on this, and generally in this thread.

--------From the Original Post-----

THIS YEARS.

LAST YEARS.

This calendar is equally everyone’s work and all your contributions are deeply appreciated.

The calendar would run through redbubble.com, where at least some GTP 'toggies already have accounts. Syntax Error (who, let’s be honest, is pretty damn nifty with a camera) said the quality is excellent. And for those of us who bought a calendar last year can attest to.

There’s a chance we could get the calendar on the GTP homepage (as we did last year. But we never know)

--------------

Contributors

1. TVR&Ferrari_Fan

2. Speedster502

3. Cano

4. Dougboy

5. Syntax Error

6. McLaren

7. SPhilli911

8. stumpydino

9. Floats

10. 80Y 2C2

11. LongbowX

12. NISM0_SKYLINE

13. Beerz

------------------------------

Months

Cover- Beerz

-January - NISM0_SKYLINE

-February - 80Y 2C2

-March - McLaren

-April - LongbowX

-May - Syntax Error

-June - Dougboy

-July - TVR&Ferrari_Fan

-August - stumpydino

-September - SPhilli911

-October - Speedster502

-November - Cano

-December - Floats

------------------------------

Last edited:
I know it's all written out, but I like it to be told directly.

So do I say I'd like to have January again and post 3 - 5 photos I'd like to enter? And then in a couple weeks people know whose's in where they are.

ah, this is good. I missed all of this last year, there is no way I'm gonna miss this time. I'll start diggning (:

EDIT: BTW, this has to be horizontal-format pics, right?

Last edited:
ah, this is good. I missed all of this last year, there is no way I'm gonna miss this time. I'll start diggning (:

EDIT: BTW, this has to be horizontal-format pics, right?

It doesn't have to be horizontal. Wider is probably better, but vertical is fine as well. A vertical shot works especially good for the cover.

I know it's all written out, but I like it to be told directly.

So do I say I'd like to have January again and post 3 - 5 photos I'd like to enter? And then in a couple weeks people know whose's in where they are.

Well. You're right. People who we have messaged have been told directly. The way it's working this year is...well me and 80Y have decided who is in from a set of criteria. We send the people a message telling them they're in. Then those people post their shot and either message us back telling us where they want to be, or post here. I can expand more if you want I just....don't know quite what you're asking me.

So is this a free-for all entering or Invite-Only? You never posted your decision.

Well. Given the very lop-sided argument between invite or free-for-all, I think you can guess which one we went with. We went with the invite. And since 80Y hasn't been on, I might as well tell you you're in. ^^;

Have been a little busy so I haven't had time to respond to the pm Chris, but I'll be a big yes. Not too concerned about what month I get however so just put me in wherever you see fit.

ah, if vertical shots are fine then I'll ad some... but gawd, it is already getting difficult to pick even 5 shots!!!

Have been a little busy so I haven't had time to respond to the pm Chris, but I'll be a big yes. Not too concerned about what month I get however so just put me in wherever you see fit.

Good to know, thanks. I know you can get busy, it's quite alright.

ah, if vertical shots are fine then I'll ad some... but gawd, it is already getting difficult to pick even 5 shots!!!

Believe me, I can relate.

Well. Given the very lop-sided argument between invite or free-for-all, I think you can guess which one we went with. We went with the invite. And since 80Y hasn't been on, I might as well tell you you're in. ^^;

Awesome! Hmmm, could I have May? However if this is anyone's birthday month and they wish to have it I'm cool with that, I can go in any month.

I'll steal November, if I may (since it'd also be my wedding anniversary) and am not uninvited. I have one very obvious image in mind, but I shall come up with some more in due course.

I'd like to take April again if nobody else wants it :) I'll come up with a shortlist... shortly.

I'll steal November, if I may (since it'd also be my wedding anniversary) and am not uninvited. I have one very obvious image in mind, but I shall come up with some more in due course.

I just want to clarify things for both of you, since I had to already explain it to Floats who asked what our decision was.

In the original thread for this years, I asked if it should be invite-only, and a majority of those who answered it said yes, it should be. So I decided to side with the majority. So this thread is not to ask who is contributing, it's a submission thread for those who have been chosen. I should have made that clear at the beginning, so my apologies. The only reason I kept the "contributors" list and it's not full is that some people haven't responded to us to tell us whether or not they are participating or not. So, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Genuine question, simply out of curiosity since I'm not invited..

Photo's taken at events (such as BTCC) by spectators can't be sold or distributed can they? It's in the small print on the tickets... "Without express written permission" (i.e. Media accreditation)..

.. can they?

Photo's taken at events (such as BTCC) by spectators can't be sold or distributed can they? It's in the small print on the tickets... "Without express written permission" (i.e. Media accreditation)..

.. can they?

That is true. It also rings true for F1 & the Australian V8 Supercars series.

.. can they?

Mm, while this is true I've never had any issues about it. But I'm not sure.

.. can they?
Wait, what? You can't sell the photos you take of their public events? :lol:

You may laugh but they will sue if they catch wind. We need to tread lightly with regards to what events we can include shots of.

As an example, here are the conditions of entry to last weekend’s Gold Coast 600 V8 Supercar race. Points 14 to 16 are pretty specific in this regard.

http://www.goldcoast600.com.au/images/stories/Ticketing/GC_TC_2010.pdf
You pay that kind of money to go see the race, and then told your photos technically belong to them.
I apologize, but I just find that funny.

You pay that kind of money to go see the race, and then told your photos technically belong to them.
I apologize, but I just find that funny.

They even go as far as not letting people in with anything above a 300mm. Crazy stuff really. I did manage to get 500 in last year however :sly:

That's what she said.

hahaha that one was good.

On my side, this is absolutely stupid. I'm at 20 pictures now. TWENTY.

-_- I sure hope I can bring it down to at least ten. I never thought this was gonna be so difficult.

You may laugh but they will sue if they catch wind. We need to tread lightly with regards to what events we can include shots of.

As an example, here are the conditions of entry to last weekend’s Gold Coast 600 V8 Supercar race. Points 14 to 16 are pretty specific in this regard.

http://www.goldcoast600.com.au/images/stories/Ticketing/GC_TC_2010.pdf

Well in that case I've read my MSV tickets and they say something about it too.

"It is a condition of admission to these premises that photography, cine-film, video, sound or any other visual or audio use, including making copies of the recording or reproduction, causing or permitting it to be seen or heard in public, broadcasting, diffusing, selling, selling renting, exchanging, lending, using for gain, or otherwise dealing with it in whole or in part is strictly forbidden. Use of privately owned camcorders for private viewing purposes only is not permitted by the circuit owners without prior permission. Furthermore, the Promoter reserve the right to confiscate and retain posession of any photographs or films made in breach of this condition and without its express consent in writing"

So...if I've read this right then it means for anyone who has taken photographs at; Cadwell Park, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Brands Hatch can't use them in this calendar. I think. It also says the same blurb on the back of my FIA GT1 tickets from Silverstone so I would assume it's the same issue. But I may be wrong, I don't really understand all the legal stuff.

Last edited:
I just want to clarify things for both of you, since I had to already explain it to Floats who asked what our decision was.

In the original thread for this years, I asked if it should be invite-only, and a majority of those who answered it said yes, it should be. So I decided to side with the majority. So this thread is not to ask who is contributing, it's a submission thread for those who have been chosen. I should have made that clear at the beginning, so my apologies. The only reason I kept the "contributors" list and it's not full is that some people haven't responded to us to tell us whether or not they are participating or not. So, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

That's fine - and the impression I got - but, if you're running short of uptake you may choose to extend further invitations and the two of us have interest in that.

Those bloody lrnfinhers, ruining it for the rest of us.

Last edited:
... I think. It also says the same blurb on the back of my FIA GT1 tickets from Silverstone so I would assume it's the same issue. But I may be wrong, I don't really understand all the legal stuff.

It also says it on World Series by Renault tickets from Silverstone, and I'm pretty sure it also says it on BTCC tickets from Knockhill and Rockingham too..

To be honest I think it is standard for most events, not just in motorsport.

Back