2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Ah I see. Seemed bizarre that he launched over a drainage groove (or something) on an unsighted corner. Still raises questions about Petrov's concentration levels. Which is a kinda essential skill for a top flight driver.

Not the only one with concentration problems :P

A few pages back the possibility of a faulty steering column was discussed as in the video he can be seen turning the steering wheel and the can drifting off track nevertheless.

Wow, what a fantastic race, totally loved that. Best Malaysian GP ever!

First things first, DRS, the big talking point - I didn't feel it was fake at all. It is still a little fake in that only the attacking driver can use it but it did its job perfectly here, only helping a driver overtake but not doing all the work for him. This is exactly as it should be, it shouldn't always gift an overtake move, it should still be difficult.
Most of the overtaking and battling in this race came from the Pirellis. We had a lot of battling in the middle of corners, even on the high speed sweepers which supposedly are bad for overtaking! I laugh when I hear Jake saying a lot of people were crying "Fake racing!" on twitter, I guess Kobayashi and Schumacher's battle lap after lap was fake, eh? :lol:

Congrats to Vettel on a great victory again, but this time it wasn't just on pure pace it was mainly thanks to both the misfortune of others and perfect strategy calls from Red Bull. I don't think everyone should be worried so much that the Red Bull is too fast this year, certainly RBR showed much better strategy this time though. McLaren were right there on pace, even Renault and Ferrari are very strong in race conditions with the changeable tyre strategies all playing out.

Amazing starts by Heidfeld, Schumacher and Petrov. Awesome battling from Kobayashi, Hamilton...gah I can't remember all the names! Too much went on this race that I've barely registered half of it!

How can some of you fell asleep half way through the race I really do not know, you must fall asleep watching most motorsports then!

Does anyone else think Button dropped Petrov into a little bit of trouble with his comments during the Forum coverage?

Mentioned that Petrov was letting off before the last bend so Button could pass and Petrov could use the DRS on the start/finish straight. :odd:

Not the only one with concentration problems :P

A few pages back the possibility of a faulty steering column was discussed as in the video he can be seen turning the steering wheel and the can drifting off track nevertheless.

Haha, nice. Guilty as charged. Yeah it did look like full lock, with the result being extreme brown trousers understeer. It will be interesting to hear Boullier's and Renault's explanation.

Does anyone else think Button dropped Petrov into a little bit of trouble with his comments during the Forum coverage?

Mentioned that Petrov was letting off before the last bend so Button could pass and Petrov could use the DRS on the start/finish straight. :odd:

I had a similar suspicion that Rosberg was doing that when he let Di Resta past so easily, its nice to hear Button also wonder the same thing. Why is it putting Petrov in trouble? Its not breaking the regulations, but it does raise a serious issue with the DRS rules and how rediculous they are.

I had a similar suspicion that Rosberg was doing that when he let Di Resta past so easily, its nice to hear Button also wonder the same thing. Why is it putting Petrov in trouble? Its not breaking the regulations, but it does raise a serious issue with the DRS rules and how rediculous they are.
I expect that letting up off the throttle in an unexpected manner is a safety risk, I'm not saying there should be punishment, I was just wondering whether it put Petrov in an awkward position.

Hamilton gets a 20 sec penalty for moving more than once while defending. Drops him to 8th behind Kobayashi.

This is exactly as it should be, it shouldn't always gift an overtake move, it should still be difficult.
As David Coulthard pointed out, it does just enough to let one driver get his front wing alongside the rear wheels of the guy in front. From there, it's a braking duel into the corner. We did see Petrov (or maybe it was Heidfeld - it was defaintely a Renault) drive clean around someone with the DRS engaged, but he was just so much faster at the time that it would have worked without the DRS.

Well what an amazing race. I mean, there was at least an overtake every lap. Turn 4 seemed to turn into a proper overtaking opportunity rather then an overtake if someone makes a mistake. What a start from Heidfeld and a very good overtake on Hamilton.
Kobayashi battling with Webber for the first 10 laps was very entertaining, then again with Schumacher.
What a race. I just can't see Vettel winning the next race in Shanghai either so I doubt it will be like the last two races where he dominated.
Someone should tell Vettel to be less fast. He misses all the fun.:sly:

I expect that letting up off the throttle in an unexpected manner is a safety risk, I'm not saying there should be punishment, I was just wondering whether it put Petrov in an awkward position.

Not unless Jenson feels it was and goes to the stewards. But yeah, that is a good point.
I think they should ditch having only the driver behind be able to use DRS and just allow them to use it wherever, whenever. Or just get rid of it altogether. Pirelli are doing a good enough job supplying wacky tyres.

Hamilton gets a 20 sec penalty for moving more than once while defending. Drops him to 8th behind Kobayashi.

I think thats a polite way of saying "weaving like a GT5 noob online".

He was overdoing the weaving on the S/F straight when Alonso was drafting him.

Alonso also gets a 20 sec penalty for causing an avoidable accident, still keeps his 6th place finish.

Hamilton and Alonso given time penalties for battling on track.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Rules are there to be followed....and Hammy was a bit of a tricky case to understand as he was defending on the first to third corner, which does have quite a lot of direction changes. But he was weaving when the rules states that they can only move once to defend their line.

And Alonso....I would have called that a racing accident rather than make a penalty on it, but I can understand it from the Stewards perspective. They have to make sure that drivers don't take too many liberties on the rules and regulations. I do think that the Alonso penalty was a bit harsh as Alonso wouldn't have known that he would be understeering that badly. However he did leave it VERY late to make the jink to the right to overtake

I could understand penalizing Alonso if he managed to damage Hamilton's car without harming his, but he broke his front wing and had to pit. Kind of pointless adding further penalty to that.

No need for either of those penalties. Alonso damaged his own car, and it's too marginal an area to judge over aggressive defense. If it was any other two drivers, the stewards decision possibly wouldn't have gone that way.

I could understand penalizing Alonso if he managed to damage Hamilton's car without harming his, but he broke his front wing and had to pit. Kind of pointless adding further penalty to that.

F1 should be a no contact sport, when drivers risk to much and produce a crash they will get a penalty.
Obviously in that situation Alonso cud have avoided crashing in to the rear of Hamiltons Mclaren.
The penalty was just a way of saying to keep it clean in the future.

I would say alonso got a penalty due to being dangerous.

Plus their will be little compensation if Hamilition had to retire due to damage, i see it as a good thing.

It warns other drivers not to be too reckless.

And i am glad that Petrov was not hurt after his liftoff.
motivator16bbedc9613c63.jpg

Do they broadcast F1 in 3D?

I would love to see it if it is, but i have to settle with stereoscopic images i made with gimp.

Penalties shouldn't depend on how the drivers fared after the incident. If it's worth penalising for ending some guys race, it's still an offense if the other guy gets away with it.

Good race, Hamilton's strategy was ****ed up and he never had the speed on Primes. There's a vast change in quali and race pace in all teams which is interesting.

Cars still can't get close enough IMO, the only way they could get within 1 sec was using KERS at other places in the lap, at which point the defender can save theirs to defend in the DRS zone.

Next week we go to a decent circuit, but again I'm going to have to Sky+ it :(, and since I'm incredibly impatient I will miss the build up. Can't wait for some live races, they seem much more exciting.

This is by far one of the best Malaysian GP ever! I was there at turn 3, watching Alonso loses his front wing, Kobayashi attack and many more. I was surprised the rain didn't fall heavily because the sky was really dark.

Congratulations to Vettel, Button and Heidfeld. Everybody there put on a good show and performance, me and my friend really enjoyed it. Shame for Petrov though, could've been a great day for Renault if not that because of that uncomfy ride.

There's a vast change in quali and race pace in all teams which is interesting.

Is this a sign that they're doing extreme things with engine management modes again? Settings for the engine that get one or two hot laps in, but can't possibly be used for any extended length of time without severe risk to the engine?

GET IN

3rd for Heidfeld.... :D :D :D I'm growing my beard back in honour!!

Also, would somebody ask Coulthard to not say Heidfield....

I honestly don't understand the penalties for Alonso and Hamilton at all. I saw no weaving from Hamilton on the straight, at least none that blocked Alonso who was too far back to mount a serious challenge at that point since his DRS didn't work. As for the get together: They were racing, it was a racing incident. Are there going to be penalties handed out for every incident from now on because these types of contacts happens more or less in every race?

I honestly don't understand the penalties for Alonso and Hamilton at all. I saw no weaving from Hamilton on the straight, at least none that blocked Alonso who was too far back to mount a serious challenge at that point since his DRS didn't work. As for the get together: They were racing, it was a racing incident. Are there going to be penalties handed out for every incident from now on because these types of contacts happens more or less in every race?

It's possible the stewards were influenced by LH and Alonso's history. It is important for them not to be unduly influenced by the wider context of the incident. But the stewards should be allowed to use discretion when deciding penalties, regarding the context of the race, championship etc. It's a fine line I guess, but that's why there are many stewards each race.

The Renault is obviously a much better car this year than last. Just makes Kubica's absence more disappointing. With him they would probably race for victories instead of just podiums. Here's to a speedy recovery Robert.

This is by far one of the best Malaysian GP ever! I was there at turn 3, watching Alonso loses his front wing, Kobayashi attack and many more. I was surprised the rain didn't fall heavily because the sky was really dark.

Congratulations to Vettel, Button and Heidfeld. Everybody there put on a good show and performance, me and my friend really enjoyed it. Shame for Petrov though, could've been a great day for Renault if not that because of that uncomfy ride.

Any Pictures mate ?

I just watched the incident between Alonso & Hamilton (I missed it originally) and I must say....IMO the penalty handed out (particularly to Alonso) was complete rubbish. It was a simple/slight misjudgment (by a couple of inches) on Alonso's part, as he started to close in on Hamilton's car and lost a bit DF (causing him to understeer just that tad too much).

Regardless, there was some really quality racecraft (particularly from Alonso) taking place before the incident. Handing such rubbish penalties out is not a good way to encourage hard racing (what the fans want to see) as far as I see it.

On another note- Great to see Heidfeld get on the podium. I'm usually not much of a fan of him, but it is certainly nice to see a driver like him get a great result to show that he deserves a spot in F1. It was especially nice seeing how happy and enthusiastic he was after the race 👍

I'll just leave it to Brundle's twitter quotes:

Martin Brundle
Emanuele Pirro was driver steward a top + really sensible man. They have much more data and footage than we do, they obviously saw something@MBrundleF1

I didn't see anything on screen which warranted Hamilton's post race penalty A damaged wing was sufficient penalty for Alonso's misjudgement@MBrundleF1

It would be nice though if the FIA did provide post-race explanations for their penalties, but they have no need to inform us, the public.

Generally speaking, F1 in general could and should provide us with more information. Brundle mentioned that FOM and Pirelli are working together hopefully on a system to display what tyre each driver is on during the race. Probably like the "P" (for pit) icons during practice and qualy.
Coulthard made a good point about this too, there is a lot we don't know when you watch the race. Drivers will always be in different stages of strategies, not just with tyres but also with fuel. While we can't expect the teams to tell everything, I definitely agree more can be done to give us more information. Just like in this example with penalties and fines. The FIA could at least publish a document explaining their decisions.

Last edited:
Back