2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Does anyone know if the Rosberg incidents have been investigated yet? If so, what were the results of the investigation?

No action taken against Rosberg for either incident. No action also taken against Alonso for unsafe release.

This just in today from Anonymous:

http://anoncentral.tumblr.com/post/21563340088/attention-all-opbahrain-press-release-from

...a grand spectacle has come to Bahrain - the F1 Bahrain Grand Prix has begun and we have decided to add to that spectacle.

As in the past, we have DDOSed websites of the Bahrain government. And as the media has already reported, we have DDOSed or defaced a number of sites associated with F1, which has gone ahead with its event in a country that has been the subject of a brutal government for over a year. On top of it all, we have decided to contribute some additional excitement to the day by hacking F1’s servers and taking the personal information of those attending the race, among other things.

You can see that Schumacher is moving closer and closer to the blue line.

I don't care, though. I just wanted to point it out because a similar incident happened in China between Hamilton and Kimi and a lot of people was calling for a penalty on Hamilton.

I'll look for the replay tomorrow but if I remember correctly, there was barely any move made by Schumacher eventhough I did remember a slight contact between him and Perez at the exit. Since it never been put into investigation by the stewards, it's not a very big deal mate...

No action against Rosberg!? WTF!?

Sorry, but blatant over-aggressive driving was blatant.

He did the same thing twice in the race and I got to agree with you, that was over-aggresive and he should be given a penalty for that.

Also, did Hamilton gained a position off the track during this Rosberg aggresive blocking or whatever?

No action against Rosberg!? WTF!?

Sorry, but blatant over-aggressive driving was blatant.

This.

Excellent race, again, but that's just farcical. Disappointing for McLaren, but great for Lotus and Di Resta. 👍

Since it never been put into investigation by the stewards, it's not a very big deal mate...

That's not my point.

Schumacher and Perez side-by-side in the pit in Bahrain. Schumacher is slightly ahead of Perez and squeeze him out. No one even cares about it on this forum.

Hamilton and Räikkönen side-by-side in the pit in China. Hamilton is slightly ahead of Räikkönen and doesn't squeeze him out. A lot of people on this forum call for Hamilton to be penalized.

That's not my point.

Schumacher and Perez side-by-side in the pit in Bahrain. Schumacher is slightly ahead of Perez and squeeze him out. No one even cares about it on this forum.

Hamilton and Räikkönen side-by-side in the pit in China. Hamilton is slightly ahead of Räikkönen and doesn't squeeze him out. A lot of people on this forum call for Hamilton to be penalized.

By alot you mean two people and everyone else disagreeing.

That's not my point.

I.. I'm just saying.

The problem here is though, not many of us find it problematic - yet. Perhaps not many of us actually remember the incident proceeding. There's not even a video of it yet on YouTube so there's no strong evidence in this discussion. Come up with a video, then we can clearly judge whose wrong and whose right. ;)

Caught the highlights on BBC (Damn you Sky!).

Usual rundown of the main protagonists:

Podium:

Vettel: Much-needed first win this year. Fast but dull, just like the old days.
Raikkonen: Pants on fire. Dearly wanted him to win. He will, soon enough.
Grosjean: Pants on fire #2. Cracking day for Lotus.

Others in no particular order:

Button: Unlucky, but not that quick anyway today. May as well have bad luck in an average race.
Hamilton: Even more unlucky. WTF McLaren? Get the pit stop stuff sorted, for God's sake...
Rosberg: Naughty boy.
Di Resta: Great drive and well-deserved position. Awesome opportunistic overtake half way through the race, and lots of solid defending.
Schumacher: Not bad at all, considering where he started.
Webber: Solid drive, but barely covered at all in the highlights program.
Massa: Brief glimmer of the old Massa during battle with Raikkonen. Then much more of the new Massa by being decidedly average for the rest. I prefer watching the old Massa.
Alonso: Curiously absent from the highlights - presume he had an average race. Nice tussle with Button though - again, great seeing two clean racers battling.

Other stuff:

Moral problems with the race aside, it didn't actually seem too bad. Lots of passing and not all of it DRS/KERS-related - it seems the dusty surface meant surprising performance differences for some cars and some scrappy cornering which let people past.

Vettel will be breathing a sigh of relief after that race, though I suspect he wasn't too relieved considering the pace by which Raikkonen caught him - I reckon that if Vettel takes the title this year it'll be down to consistency rather than outright pace.

And seriously, McLaren needs to get its act together. Two screw-ups in the pits for Hamilton today, a screw-up for Button last time - must be hugely frustrating.

Big 👍 for four winners from four races though - more of that please. This season is turning into a good'un.

Some reasoning...

The stewards looked into the matter and decided that because Rosberg had moved to the right to defend his position in a 'constant and continuous straight line manner' and because Hamilton was not alongside Rosberg as he began that move that the German did nothing wrong.

The stewards added: "Had a significant portion of Car 4 (Hamilton) been alongside that of Car 8 (Rosberg) whilst Car 4 still remained within the confines of the track, then the actions of Car 8 may not be considered legitimate."

This is what the stewards said about the incidents:
'1) The driver of Car 8 commenced his move to the right after the exit from T3 and moved to the right in a constant and continuous straight line manner, not making any sudden movements (as evidenced by telemetry and video evidence) and;

'2) At the time he commenced his move, Car 4 was behind him and no part of his car was alongside Car 8 and;

'3) The driver of Car 8 made the move to the right prior to the driver of Car 4 making the same move and;

'4) For more than half of the distance travelled by Car 8 in moving in a straight line towards the right hand edge of the track, Car 4 remained behind Car 8 and;

'5) Because the delta speed between the two cars was quite significant it was difficult for Car 8 to detect the exact position of Car 4 in relation to his own car;

'6) Had a significant portion of Car 4 been alongside that of Car 8 whilst Car 4 still remained within the confines of the track, then the actions of Car 8 may not have been considered legitimate.

'The Stewards, having heard from both drivers and team representatives Messrs R Meadows and S Michael, and having examined the video and telemetry evidence, unanimously decide to take no further action.'

Pretty much the same thing they said about the incident with Alonso:
'1) The driver of Car 8 commenced his move to the right after the exit from T3 and moved to the right in a constant and continuous straight line manner, not making any sudden movements (as evidenced by telemetry and video evidence) and;

'2) At the time he commenced his move, Car 5 was behind him and no part of his car was alongside Car 8 and;

'3) The driver of Car 8 made the move to the right prior to the driver of Car 5 making the same move and;

'4) For more than half the distance travelled by Car 8 in moving in a straight line towards the right hand edge of the track, Car 5 remained behind Car 8 and;

'5) Because the delta speed between the two cars was quite significant it was difficult for Car 8 to detect the exact position of Car 5 in relation to his own car;

'6) No part of Car 5 was alongside that of Car 8.'

By alot you mean two people and everyone else disagreeing.

I don't know. I think it was more than two, but it's possible it was just the same people posting over and over and I didn't pay enough attention.

Anyway, I'm surprised they didn't penalize Rosberg, especially when the exact same thing happened twice, but I'm sure they made the right decision.

Last edited:
I wonder why didnt the stewards penalized Hamilton... if Rosberg wasnt at fault, hamilton made a pass with all four wheels of the track...

I wonder why didnt the stewards penalized Hamilton... if Rosberg wasnt at fault, hamilton made a pass with all four wheels of the track...

Well if one driver can drive another one off the track then why shouldn't he in turn totally ignore the track for passing then. 💡

The stewards have dropped the ball big time on this. No action against Rosberg means any driver can do exactly the same thing to defend their position. :ouch: If this happens then this sport will have effectively died for me. :grumpy:

They even let Rosberg get away with the double move he made.

After going hard to the inside to block, one move, he then switched back to the outside to take the line into the corner. That's classed as a second move and is not allowed in the rules for this year.

First race since Spain 2010 where Hamilton finished down the order through no fault of his own?

Terrible luck really. I doubt he would've had Seb without the pitstop errors, but he would've finished much higher than 8th.

This season is brilliant. The fact that two of the top three drivers in the standings haven't one a race (Mark hasn't even had a podium yet!) is fantastic. I hope this continues for the rest of the year.

I'm not sure what he did can count as 2 moves, if you're talking about with Alonso his second move wasn't for defending a position it was just to take the line because Alonso had already backed off. I'm not sure though because the rules aren't clear enough which is why drivers can get away with this kind of stuff in the first place.

No I meant the Hamilton move.

It was announced at the start of the season that drivers will no longer be allowed to switch back to the racing line in order to take the best line into a corner after taking a defensive line to defend their position.

It was implemented because of Schumacher's behavior at Monza last season.

Well if one driver can drive another one off the track then why shouldn't he in turn totally ignore the track for passing then. 💡

The stewards have dropped the ball big time on this. No action against Rosberg means any driver can do exactly the same thing to defend their position. :ouch: If this happens then this sport will have effectively died for me. :grumpy:

They even let Rosberg get away with the double move he made.

After going hard to the inside to block, one move, he then switched back to the outside to take the line into the corner. That's classed as a second move and is not allowed in the rules for this year.
I too believe that Rosberg should have been penalized; once can be seen as a misjudgment but twice? There's no accident there and it should have been punished, since it's putting other drivers in danger.

However I don't believe Rosberg made a double move as such. I'm aware Rosberg moved back onto the racing line but by that time Hamilton was firmly alongside his Mercedes and on the inside line. Doesn't the rule apply only towards blocking another driver when they're behind? Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:

If it makes you feel any better, McLaren has been penalizing Hamilton all season so far. I believe this brings the tally to five horrible pit stops (just for Lewis, not counting I believe one blundered stop for Button) and a gearbox penalty (balanced with a DNF for Button today). It's like Martin Whitmarsh thought, "Man, we're too strong. We need to cripple our guys to give the other folks a fair chance. Especially that Lewis; he's really asking for it. I'd like to have a mechanic whose job is solely to mount giant carbon-fiber middle fingers to the nose of Lewis's car. Wait, carbon-fiber is too light, so better make it lead."

If it makes you feel any better, McLaren has been penalizing Hamilton all season so far. I believe this brings the tally to five horrible pit stops (just for Lewis, not counting I believe one blundered stop for Button) and a gearbox penalty (balanced with a DNF for Button today). It's like Martin Whitmarsh thought, "Man, we're too strong. We need to cripple our guys to give the other folks a fair chance. Especially that Lewis; he's really asking for it. I'd like to have a mechanic whose job is solely to mount giant carbon-fiber middle fingers to the nose of Lewis's car. Wait, carbon-fiber is too light, so better make it lead."

Im not biased towards or against any driver... I have my preferences and the ones I dont like so much but Hamilton isnt amongst them (preferences and dislikes) and even with the drivers on that list Im not biased... Im just trying to fully understand the race rules... because I thought that no one could do a pass with all four wheels off the track.

So what would make me feel better would be for someone instead of stating is personal biased opinion to enlighten me so that I might learn something new... now that would make me feel better indeed.

Not quite sure how Rosberg got away with that. If MSC had done that, the commentary team would have been blathering on about it for the entire race.

I am sure his popularity in the paddock is rather lower then a week ago.

That's completely fine, but you have to leave at least one car width of space. It have always been like this. It just haven't been defined in the rules until now.

Latest Posts

Back