2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

I wonder why didnt the stewards penalized Hamilton... if Rosberg wasnt at fault, hamilton made a pass with all four wheels of the track...

I believe it's because Hamilton didn't cut a corner. He overtook off-line on a straight, so he didn't cut any distance at all.

Rosberg's moves were aggressive, but Hammy was completely behind him... And if the stewards say Alonso was, too, then there's no foul. You don't have to leave space for a car that isn't there yet, especially if you start moving before the car gets there. The driver behind has the "last chance to avoid".

Really naughty, though.

I get the horrible feeling McLaren are gonna re-create 2007 and completely throw everything away.

Just one. JUST ONCE. Can they please get everything together? They have had the drivers for three years now, they finally have the car. Please, for my sanity, win it this year.

>_>

I believe it's because Hamilton didn't cut a corner. He overtook off-line on a straight, so he didn't cut any distance at all.

Rosberg's moves were aggressive, but Hammy was completely behind him... And if the stewards say Alonso was, too, then there's no foul. You don't have to leave space for a car that isn't there yet, especially if you start moving before the car gets there. The driver behind has the "last chance to avoid".

Really naughty, though.

OK I asked because in GT1 and GT3 Ive seen alot of races where the drivers get warnings and penalties for inflicting track limits (Im not sure this is the right expression maybe its track limit infringement) not respecting track limits and some times it happens on straights (especially on race starts - main straight) when trying to overtaking

Last edited:
This is what the stewards said about the incidents:

Pretty much the same thing they said about the incident with Alonso:

I think Rosberg's connection was lagging and he was never really that close to either of them.

I get the horrible feeling McLaren are gonna re-create 2007 and completely throw everything away.

Me three.

Hopefully Vettel doesn't win another race again this season.

The iceman cometh....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

/repost
return-of-the-iceman.jpg

Just reading the post race press conference:

Vettel
I think Renault did a fantastic job - one, two, three all powered by Renault, so congratulations to them as well.

3 cars in the top 5 well done Renau..

Code:
[SIZE="2"]4th 	Mark Webber 	Red Bull Racing-Renault 	57 	+38.7 secs[/SIZE]
Oh.:lol:

TopGearFTW

Just one. JUST ONCE. Can they please get everything together? They have had the drivers for three years now, they finally have the car. Please, for my sanity, win it this year.

>_>

I know right, in every grand price in 2012 I've looked desperately at the timing sheets to make sure McLaren are still on top.

That's completely fine, but you have to leave at least one car width of space. It have always been like this. It just haven't been defined in the rules until now.

You never have to leave one car width of space. If you think about it, the racing line is at the edge of the track on the entry to the corner. If they have to leave a car's width they would have to stay off the racing line on entry; you can't differentiate one edge of the track from the other as the track limits are defined by the white lines. A driver is well within the rules to use all of the track available to him.

If a car is alongside before the leading car moves to defend, it's a different story. Alonso mentioned something about not being here if the track boundary was a wall instead of a run-off. Obviously the guy doesn't know that you can turn the wheel, or lift out of the throttle to avoid a collision; he was fully behind Rosberg when Nico proceeded to the edge of the track.

I have to admit I had never expected Kimi to be on this kind of form after how his attitude was in 2009. This is a reborn Iceman Kimi. Just utterly fantastic to see him up there once more 👍

You never have to leave one car width of space. If you think about it, the racing line is at the edge of the track on the entry to the corner. If they have to leave a car's width they would have to stay off the racing line on entry; you can't differentiate one edge of the track from the other as the track limits are defined by the white lines. A driver is well within the rules to use all of the track available to him.

If a car is alongside before the leading car moves to defend, it's a different story. Alonso mentioned something about not being here if the track boundary was a wall instead of a run-off. Obviously the guy doesn't know that you can turn the wheel, or lift out of the throttle to avoid a collision; he was fully behind Rosberg when Nico proceeded to the edge of the track.

After going hard to the inside to block, one move, he then switched back to the outside to take the line into the corner. That's classed as a second move and is not allowed in the rules for this year.

I think you misunderstood me, but that's my fault for not making it clearer. I was commenting on the 'second move' part.

It's completely fine, but you have to leave at least one car width of space between yourself and the track limit when you return to the outside to try and get a better entry for the corner. This rule was written because Schumacher didn't leave enough space (less than one car width of space) for Hamilton in Monza '11 when he returned to the outside to take the corner.

Last edited:
Re-watching the race today I must say it's maybe the best f1 race I've ever watched. So much action on the first laps and of course a brilliant race from the eyes of a Räikkönen fan. I never would've imagined so many nice overtakes on this track.

I was also glad to see Di Resta finishing in a respectable spot with a risky strategy.

It's completely fine, but you have to leave at least one car width of space between yourself and the track limit when you return to the outside to try and get a better entry for the corner. This rule was written because Schumacher didn't leave enough space (less than one car width of space) for Hamilton in Monza '11 when he returned to the outside to take the corner.
Monza 2011 was also different in some respects. In that race Schumacher regained the racing line before the corner on a number of occasions, to keep Hamilton behind; while Rosberg didn't do that in Bahrain. And by the time Rosberg made the second move Hamilton was marginally in front. Also Rosberg left enough space for Hamilton when it came to the corner.

Last edited:
Monza 2011 was different however. In that race Schumacher regained the racing line before the corner on a number of occasions, to keep Hamilton behind. Rosberg didn't do that in Bahrain. By the time Rosberg made the second move Hamilton was marginally in front. Also Rosberg left enough space for Hamilton when it came to the corner.

Again, I was mainly commenting about the 'second move' part. It's allowed to move a second time.

Again, I was mainly commenting about the 'second move' part. It's allowed to move a second time.
I was trying to add more to your point which I agreed with; although I'll admit it doesn't read like that. Should have read it back before I posted. :ouch: Lesson learnt.

Edit:- Fixed my previous post. :)

I think you misunderstood me, but that's my fault for not making it clearer. I was commenting on the 'second move' part.

Ah right, I understand what you mean now 👍 they did change that rule for this year. The initial move was ok though, but you are correct, the move back onto the racing line for the corner was against that particular rule.

In terms of that rule though, i'm in the 'completely unworkable and unenforceable rule' camp, because the inside line always crosses the racing line at some point and the line has to change when a corner comes along, so you can't really define what is allowed and what is not consistently.

Those blasted redbulls are up front again:grumpy:
Bad luck for my fav team Mclaren:( ,and I was hoping for a better result from Sauber.
But a great drive from Lotus and Di'resta, and it was great seeing Kimi challenging Vettle. I hope to see more of that in future races:tup:

He would've won but he suffered from the same problems Petrov had (and left the team because of), getting pitted at the wrong time and/or being put on the wrong tires. Won't be the last time. Raikkonen must drive fast enough to overcome a few people in the pits getting it wrong.

He would've won but he suffered from the same problems Petrov had (and left the team because of), getting pitted at the wrong time and/or being put on the wrong tires. Won't be the last time. Raikkonen must drive fast enough to overcome a few people in the pits getting it wrong.

Petrov left lotus because he was the 3rd drivers, not because of pitting/wrong tyres.

Raikkonen wasnt on the same strategy as anyone else and if he lost it's not because of the team or the stops, it actually went perfectly on that side believe it or not. He lost because he couldnt overtake some people fast enough, he admit it himself. He had a very risky strategy, saving tyres during qualif to go faster during the race, it works pretty good but to win he needed some luck on overtake which he didnt had.

You seem to have forgotten that this is the same team that got 2 World Championships with Alonso. They know what they are doing.

And Petrov "left," or was removed, because he critisied the team and they signed 2 other, probably better, drivers. In giving that interview he essentially ripped up his own contract.

... and 2 more with Schumacher, although I'm not sure anyone's left from that era.
I didn't mention then as a core of the important guys left for Ferrari when Schumacher went there.

And Petrov "left," or was removed, because he critisied the team and they signed 2 other, probably better, drivers. In giving that interview he essentially ripped up his own contract.

He did? I thought he personally chose to leave because he didn't want to be replaced by Kubica if he came back.

Though I'm a McLaren fan, I have to say if those Lotus-Renault cars prove to be too much for Red-Bull Renault, I'd be happy to see then win.

It'd be nice to see a black and gold car at the front. Purely livery wise though, I prefer the West Mclaren livery.

Back