2012 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter That90sGuy
  • 826 comments
prisonermonkeys
It wouldn't surprise me if Glock leaves Marussia at the end of the season and the team takes someone else on. Glock was supposed to help the team develop the way Kovalainen has worked with Lotus/Caterham, but he's done absolutely nothing.

You make it seem like as if Glock was entirely to blame for their lack of pace...

How is it completely the driver's fault that the team can't develop the car well? Even though it can be helped by a good driver who can give feedback on the car well, it's still pointless if the engineers can't act on the feedback to produce a competitive car.

IMO, the driver's there to drive and the engineers' there to develop a competitive car for the driver, simple. (Good feedback from the driver's a slight bonus, that's all)

Glock has been driving solidly and has done his job as a driver, so I don't see much issue with this...

Last edited:
I think and hope that lotus stay strong throughout the season. It would be awesome to see Kimi take a win at Spa in his return year to formula 1. Grosjean could also be on for a win later this season as he is consistently up there and has had a few podiums already so far.

And people saying things about Pic being 'the only driver not cruising' well I think we should wait for qualifying to judge weather he is going to do a Senna and drive an uncompetitive car in the wet in his rookie year and be successful

IMO, the driver's there to drive and the engineers' there to develop a competitive car for the driver, simple. (Good feedback from the driver's a slight bonus, that's all)

Not to mention we are in no position to judge how good Glock's feedback is or isn't.

Ardius
Not to mention we are in no position to judge how good Glock's feedback is or isn't.

Yes true, that's why I prefer not to judge too much... (or give blanket statements without much actual/inside knowledge about these type of undefinable things)

Speedster7
I think and hope that lotus stay strong throughout the season. It would be awesome to see Kimi take a win at Spa in his return year to formula 1. Grosjean could also be on for a win later this season as he is consistently up there and has had a few podiums already so far.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/08/31/lotus-put-double-drs-device-hold/

Lotus most likely not to race their new 'device' at Spa, sadly. Hopefully this won't hurt them too badly :(. Would really love to see them win soon (especially with Kimi) :D

Last edited:
In the way the team hasn't really gotten any closer to the rest of the grid when Caterham has.

It may not be entirely his fault, but that doesn't mean it's not his fault at all.

No, that hasn't answered the question, just added more ambiguity. You're basically saying because Glock has been sat in the Marussia seat and not the Caterham seat for 3 years, that it somehow connects to Marussia not making any progress.
I don't see any proof of that at all nor any evidence that even points you to this conclusion.

How do you judge that Caterham's progress has been helped by Kovalainen?
How do you judge that Marussia's progress hasn't been helped by Glock?

Marussia hasn't made huge progress because:
1. Nick Wirth
2. Low budget
3. Having to completely overhaul the team for this year (including moving base)
4. Quite simply not designing good enough cars (though thats covered in point 1).

This is like blaming HRT's lack of progress on Narain Kathikeyan.

Caterham on the other hand has had by far the biggest budget, which has helped hire some very good staff (most of which came from Toyota after they left in 2009) and they've been reasonably stable until recently when they moved to Arrows' old base in Leafield.

A dry third practice looks likely. It's going to be a manic one, due to the horrendous weather yesterday.

You're basically saying because Glock has been sat in the Marussia seat and not the Caterham seat for 3 years, that it somehow connects to Marussia not making any progress.
When Glock first signed for the team, he specifically said that the ability to lead the team up the grid was one of the major reasons why he joined them in the first place. And yet somehow, the team hasn't gotten anywhere near the front. To suggest that Glock, in his own way, is not responsible for their lack of progress suggests that the car was so poor that it could not be developed at all.

Sauber third and fourth, but Red Bull are 0.6 off the pace but set their times on the Hard tyre, all the others used the Medium. Mclaren look off the pace, but it's hard to tell what they were aiming for.

It's hard to tell what anyone was aiming for. When the first two practice sessions are washed out, setting a fast lap time in FP3 is usually a low priority.

I know it's just practice but Mclaren look a bit off the pace, on Sky they were saying Mclaren were probably concentrating on race pace but they still spent 20 minutes lapping with lower fuel and I doubt the other teams spent much longer on low fuel.

Just because they're doing low fuel runs, that doesn't mean they're only concentrating on qualifying pace. After all, the cars will have low fuel at some point during the race, and that needs to be factored into the car setup.

Ugh, Paul di Resta on BBC... I used to like him, but I don't anymore and that's because of BBC. I don't want to see him four+ times a weekend.

Aahh the most magical moment of the season; my home grand prix :)
Hope Alonso can finally manage to win it.

Rosberg out 18th+5 from a penalty. Grosjean just made it with 1:50.126.

18: Rosberg +5
19: Kovalainen
20: Petrov
21: Glock
22: De La Rosa
23: Pic
24: Karthikeyan

I notice that lately they don't show the top speeds anymore. I guess they must be ashamed of it, and it will only get worse with the turbo engines...

Back