2012 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter That90sGuy
  • 826 comments
homeforsummer
That one is easy to solve. Rather than penalise people, just re-profile the corner slightly for next year. People already say it's too easy to take flat, when in the past it took space-hopper balls to go flat through there. Make the right at the bottom and the left at the top a little steeper. Bingo, cars can't straight-line it as much as they used to and it also increases the difficulty of it.

Talking of space-hoppers, the Kimi/Schuey (was definitely Kimi, and think it was Schuey?) Eau Rouge move was excellent. Didn't think I'd see the Alonso/Webber move replicated any time soon, and this was almost a carbon copy.

Hmm interesting suggestion you got there. 👍

And impressive driving from both Kings of Spa there :D spectacular battle from the both of them, really enjoyable to watch.

I'm impressed Kobayashi managed to continue at all given that Hamilton's car drove over his front right. They sure build them Saubers strong!

Yeah, raised an eyebrow at that one too. Considering his car took a similar battering to Alonso's, I was amazed that he kept on driving through all the debris.

More than the actual accident grosjean cuased I was more digusted with the way he drove Hamilton to the grass before the turn as if Hamilton was just going to beam to another point on the circuit. If only FIA can cut down on some of this driving others off the race track

dhandeh
Obviously they have all the data, but it seems a bit odd. You can use all the hard standing at a Grand Prix Circuit, just don't go any faster.

Yes I also have to admit its a bit odd too... :confused:

On another note, sad to see Sauber having such rotten luck, with the messy start and all. :(
Always get the impression that whenever Kamui gets a strong quali spot, he tends to lose places. (Like China '12) Hopefully he proves me wrong soon, really starting to be a fan of him :)

And a fun fact:

Michael Schumacher was the last driver to serve a ban. His was in 1994, when he missed the Italian and Portuguese Grands Prix for ignoring black flags at the British Grand Prix that year. Benetton initially appealed against a ban

"It was an extremely serious breach of the regulations which had the potential to cause injury to others. It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race. The stewards note the team conceded the action of the driver was an extremely serious mistake and an error of judgement. Neither the team nor the driver made any submission in mitigation of penalty."

So if you take out less important drivers for the championship, the punishment should be less severe?

I'm surprised Maldonado hasn't been given a race ban yet as he deserves it even more than Grosjean. But I'm happy to see Grosjean get this punishment as this crap has been going on too long on race starts.

Hopefully d'Ambrosio makes the most of the chance (assuming he gets it).

GTP_Ingram
I'm impressed Kobayashi managed to continue at all given that Hamilton's car drove over his front right. They sure build them Saubers strong!
"It's just an endplate."

I am not sure how he finished the race with that car, although he was well down the order.

Ardius
Hopefully d'Ambrosio makes the most of the chance (assuming he gets it).

I can't see him not getting it. He performed well last year, is a client of gravity management and was just saying yesterday about how you should take every chance you get.

I'm surprised Maldonado hasn't been given a race ban yet as he deserves it even more than Grosjean.

Being a Maldonado fan is most frustrating. Flashes of brilliance surrounded by silly mistakes.

Centura
I still wonder why Hamilton carried that piece of carbon back to the pits...

Maybe shock. People do odd things when suffering from shock.

I think he wanted to use it to chop Romain into a toss salad. :sly:

With all due disrespect to Maldonado, penalizing his jumped start is silly. The attitude of "we didn't give you a chance to give you a penalty, but have one anyway" isn't fair at all.

Again, its more to do with his consistent offending rather than the offenses on their own with Maldonado.
Which is why I don't get they haven't given him a race ban yet (especially as several of his incidents have warranted one). I mean, perhaps some of the incidents this race weren't deserving of a race ban but certainly the guy needs a serious warning to change his attitude as clearly these normal penalties mean nothing to him.

I just wonder when they stop handing penalties to him and start taking more serious action.

Grosjean on other hand hasn't really been a repeat offender (I'm reading in some places people blaming him for Monaco - nice to see people are blind as usual) but has been given a race ban because I think perhaps the FIA have realised that this behaviour at the race start is not acceptable and Romain has been made an example of.

I have to praise Eric Boullier for being sensible and taking the penalty for what it is though:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102210

One can easily imagine if this was certain other team principals that they would be arguing full heartedly against this and backing up their driver. Refreshing to see a team principal with some logic.

So what do people think? Is Lewis going to blow his top again and start making stupid mistakes this season or has he finally matured and he's going to deliver at Monza?

With all due disrespect to Maldonado, penalizing his jumped start is silly. The attitude of "we didn't give you a chance to give you a penalty, but have one anyway" isn't fair at all.

What are you saying? He jumped the start, which deserves a penalty. It would also be unfair if no penalty was served for him doing that. His race ending prematurely doesn't negate the fact that he broke the rules, which also happened to give him an unfair advantage in this case.

Depends on what you call a "stupid mistake".

In terms of his racecraft, he seems fine.

Off-track, though, it's a different story. Tweeting sensitive information about the car (and a few others that McLaren asked him to remove) definately fits the definition of "stupid mistake".

What are you saying? He jumped the start, which deserves a penalty. It would also be unfair if no penalty was served for him doing that. His race ending prematurely doesn't negate the fact that he broke the rules, which also happened to give him an unfair advantage in this case.

He did lose the advantage he gained from it though (by being taken out by Grosjean - Grosjean hit Perez which pushed him into Maldo), its the same as someone cutting the track but giving the position back - do you think they should be punished even though they didn't actually make use of the advantage?

I mean, there is a point to be made about Maldonado being punished for his mindset - but thats more to do with previous incidents rather than jumping the start.

I guess its a question of stewarding and rules. Do you punish people for the act or for their actions in general?
I guess it also depends on the intention of the rule. But with regards to cutting corners or jumping starts, clearly the rule is there to prevent an unfair advantage. If the unfair advantage isn't gained, why punish people?
If it was say breaking the pitlane speed limit - thats a rule in place for safety reasons and breaking such a rule pretty requires punishment in all circumstances as there are no excuses.

Depends on what you call a "stupid mistake".

In terms of his racecraft, he seems fine.

Off-track, though, it's a different story. Tweeting sensitive information about the car (and a few others that McLaren asked him to remove) definately fits the definition of "stupid mistake".

Judging by previous seasons - if Lewis' off-track mindset isn't right then his driving starts to suffer and the decisions and his mindset seems very vulnerable.
Quite clearly his head isn't in a good place again, just like last season with his girlfriend.

its the same as someone cutting the track but giving the position back

Technically it's not the same thing at all. He gained an advantage from the early start, which happened to put him into a position to be taken out. That's not the same as voluntarily conceding the position(s) he'd earned.

Judging by previous seasons - if Lewis' off-track mindset isn't right then his driving starts to suffer and the decisions and his mindset seems very vulnerable.
Quite clearly his head isn't in a good place again, just like last season with his girlfriend.
Perhaps it's just an isolated incident - his aunt died of cancer in the week leading up to the race.

But I suspect there may be more to it. He may not be happy with the progress of his contract negotiations. McLaren have him over a barrel - they're his best option for 2013, and they know it. That gives them a much better bargaining position, unless he wants to take a chance on a smaller team.

Grosjean's race ban in my book while severe, is most probably the right thing to do. If Alonso was inches faster it could have taken his head off and thats something drivers need to remember. I personally think today was a sobering reminder that motorsport and Formula 1 can never be too safe.

Having said that, reading some of the comments by Grosjean and Lotus, unlike Maldonado in a couple of instances, he has shown remorse, given an apology and vowed to learn. That shows maturity for me and if he can back that statement up, even better.

As for LHs mindset going into this weekend, its a bit strange. He'd been absolutely fine up to this weekend and his aunts passing as PM said. I think we'll find out more at Monza. But we have to admit that in comparison to 2011 he's done a lot better. Its taken until race 12 for something to happen (imo). Although I don't know why he decided to post telemetry, thats just more than a little weird. Maybe he meant well and didn't think it through. Who knows.

But still, fantastic race today and such a great race by JB. Another story in itself but for now, we're well and truly back. Next week, Monza baby!

I dont get how Malretardo has no respect at all for anyone on the track. This is F1 for the love of god! Grosjean did a huge mistake and he deserves a ban but Maldo should get it races ago!
I mean I race in a racing series in GT and I have more respect for drivers and its a freaking video game!

Back