2012 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter That90sGuy
  • 826 comments
This was the most exciting race of the year for me, was glad to see Jenson win and there was an exceptional ammount of action going on within the race.

man, i am much more offended by Lewis' excessive use of the word homie and instagram then i am... well, i'm not offended at all by his use of acronyms, that'd be just silly.

And i just want, so badly, for Maldonado to show some kind of redeeming quality. I wanted the start to be legit, as if it were an excuse for his craziness, as in "look at least he can do that."

Button: Very Vettelian victory there, don't really care that he won since he has next to no chance of winning the title.
Vettel: Say what you want about this guy, but he can certainly overtake. Great race for him considering the lousy qualifying and even lousier start.
Raikkonen: He's really getting back into the rhythm of it now, if he could start winning races then he has a definite shot at the title.
Hulkenberg: Very fortunate at the start, but showed some great skill and pace from then on.
Massa: Not a bad race from him, he's slowly coming back, but I think it's too little too late.
Webber: Not a great from him, didn't really capitalise as much as Vettel.
Schumacher: Mixed race for him, back and forth all the way through. Beginning to wish he hadn't returned now, as he's only damaging his reputation.
Vergne & Ricciardo: Both very fortunate at the start and exciting to watch, but the relatively poor pace of the car showed as it went on.
Di Resta: Clearly doesn't like the tyres nearly as much as Nico.
Rosberg: Far too slow, that car needs some major upgrades.
Bruno: Fairly good first half, a valiant effort to save the tyres and hold the faster cars up.
Kobayashi: Terribly unlucky at the start. I doubt he could have won it but I don't think a podium was out of the question.
Petrov: Good race for him, even with the pit stop.
Glock & Pic: Great to see get some coverage of these guys to for once, and to see them battling it out for the final places.
Kovalainen: Far too many spins, still wouldn't have scored without them though.
de la Rosa: Good pace from him, was actually behind Karthikeyan for once...until he crashed.
Karthikeyan: Really wish he could have finished as he was doing really well, but his seems car to have gremlins.
Maldonado: Claims he didn't mean to jump start, but he's had one too many incidents now. He won't be here next year.
Perez: Again a potentially great result ruined by external forces.
Alonso: None of that was his fault, but he needed a non-finish eventually to keep the title chase open.
Hamilton: Not his fault, but he's still too hot-headed.
Grosjean: Than ban is unfair, considering Maldonado hasn't had one yet, but he has been a bit too destructive this year.

For the championship though I would like Alonso not to finish.

:boggled:👍

When I saw Kobayashi at the start, I knew it was on.

3). Maldonado's jumpstart no doubt influenced the way a lot of the drivers were approaching La Source. As such I think it's a contributing factor to the accident.

Then this happened and it was all over.

Grosjean: Than ban is unfair, considering Maldonado hasn't had one yet, but he has been a bit too destructive this year.
I've heard a theory put forward that the stewards saw the accident as an opportunity to send a message to younger drivers - that the brute force tactics that win races in GP2 and below aren't welcome in Formula 1.

Quite clearly his head isn't in a good place again, just like last season with his girlfriend.

I'm not sure that's entirely the case. I think he's just trying to balance "being himself" and "toeing the team line". He's certainly being much more controlled in interviews these days and his performance at Hungary proved he still has speed, but the team data tweet was just a daft mistake during a frustrating time.

I don't recall Maldonado causing any accidents that resulted in three cars cartwheeling through the air.

No, only deliberately running into Hamilton at Spa last year and Perez at Monaco this year. And umpteen other moments of less deliberate but equally obvious stupidity.

Okay race but ruined by Grosjean. Why is nobody talking about Massa finishing ahead of Alonso?

Because Massa beating Alonso when Alonso retired on the first corner doesn't really merit discussion. Massa beat Fangio in this race too!...

Button: Very Vettelian victory there

There were people who won lights-to-flag before Vettel, you know ;) In fact, Button himself is no stranger to it, from his season at Brawn.

No, only deliberately running into Hamilton at Spa last year and Perez at Monaco this year. And umpteen other moments of less deliberate but equally obvious stupidity.
I have never seen any proof that Maldonado deliberately crashed into Perez at Monaco.

His car position on the track is not evidence. That could easily be explained by a combination of going too fast and Perez's car obscuring the turn-in point for a blind corner, which led to Maldonado mistiming the turn in and clipping the Sauber unintentionally.

I have never seen any proof that Maldonado deliberately crashed into Perez at Monaco.

His car position on the track is not evidence. That could easily be explained by a combination of going too fast and Perez's car obscuring the turn-in point for a blind corner, which led to Maldonado mistiming the turn in and clipping the Sauber unintentionally.

Or, he did it deliberately.

Or, he did it deliberately.
It's still not proof. That fact that I've come up with a plausible explanation for it being an accident proves as much.

When Maldonado crashed into Hamilton last year, it was revenge. Maldonado clearly felt he had been wronged in some way, most likely that he felt Hamilton had pushed him off the dry line coming out of the Bus Stop and onto the wet shoulder, costing him a better qualifying time and grid position. Whether or not this is representative of what happened is beside the point; that Maldonado felt it had is what matters here. This, I think, is a logical conclusion to explain why Maldonado attacked Hamilton. Without a motive, the move makes no sense. He didn't just crash into Hamilton for fun - he was angry.

With that in mind, it is a logical assumption that Maldonado only attacks when he feels another driver has done wrong by him. If so, why did he deliberately crash into Perez in Monaco? Perez didn't do anything to him. He didn't block Maldonado or cost him a better lap time. He didn't do anything. So if Maldonado only attacks in anger, what set him off in Monaco? There was no reason for it, which is inconsistent with what we know about the previous incident - that he never attacks without a reason.

This is the one thing that Maldonado bashers have never been able to explain. He had no motive for attacking Perez, and there is no proof that he did it deliberately other that the position of his car on the road at the time - which, as I have already demonstrated, could have been the product of misjudgement going into a blind corner with a turn-in point that was even further obcured by Perez's car.

You've got nothing.

Obviously they have all the data, but it seems a bit odd. You can use all the hard standing at a Grand Prix Circuit, just don't go any faster.

The run-off area at Spa in Eau Rouge, many times, is the difference between life & death. Have you ever seen a crash where one car spins, at the exit of a blind corner, taken @ 350+ km/h? Ends in horrible death quite often. So, given the choice between cutting the track, death, and braking in front of Kimi or Vettel... I'd choose cutting the track.

The run-off area at Spa in Eau Rouge, many times, is the difference between life & death. Have you ever seen a crash where one car spins, at the exit of a blind corner, taken @ 350+ km/h? Ends in horrible death quite often. So, given the choice between cutting the track, death, and braking in front of Kimi or Vettel... I'd choose cutting the track.

Actually, Out of the 51 deaths that have occurred at Spa, only three have been at Eau Rouge, and two of those were motorcycles. Statistically speaking, Eau Rouge is one of the safest turns on the track for cars.

@ prisonermonkeys.

Do you think it's okay in F1 to use your car as a weapon (regarding Maldon-Oh-no), if someones made you angry?

Actually, Out of the 51 deaths that have occurred at Spa, only three have been at Eau Rouge, and two of those were motorcycles. Statistically speaking, Eau Rouge is one of the safest turns on the track for cars.

But, if one driver spins at the top, with another driver coming at those speeds, the driver at the bottom will NOT see yellow flags.

I know the type of crash. I was karting. On the out lap, someone spun behind me. The marshalls red flagged us, to get the guys who spun caught up, etc. Except, there was one blind corner. The corner marshall was around the corner, on track, in front of us. So, the guy on the other side of the corner was thinking "Oh, bother, they're about to start without me!!" and went full-throttle around the blind corner... I woke up a few MINUTES later, with a flashlight shining in my eyes. That was 100 km/h with no crumple zone. 350+ km/h with no crumple zone would be deadly.

You've got nothing.

I've got his very vague, sheepish opinions when he was interviewed afterwards. He was directly asked if he did it deliberately and didn't deny it. Any innocent driver would have done. I suspect he was glad to get off simply with a grid penalty.

And Spa with Hamilton showed he's capable of using his car as a weapon. It's not proof, but it has equal validity as anything you've put forward.

Incidentally, I'm not a "Maldonado basher", no more than I am a "Hamilton basher". I just have little time for drivers who consistently drive like idiots. Maldonado is one of those idiots. Last year, Hamilton was.

Last edited:
Di Resta: Clearly doesn't like the tyres nearly as much as Nico.
de la Rosa: Good pace from him, was actually behind Karthikeyan for once...until he crashed.

Paul di Resta's KERS failed before the race.

Karthikeyan was actually behind Pedro de la Rosa when he crashed.

Centura
Paul di Resta's KERS failed before the race.

Karthikeyan was actually behind Pedro de la Rosa when he crashed.

I still have no idea what actually happened to Karthikeyan. One minute the cameras looking at a battle the next it's looking at a car flying sideways into a gravelpit/wall. Then a massive orange blob running like a penguin, coincidentally faster than the HRT can even go.

I still have no idea what actually happened to Karthikeyan. One minute the cameras looking at a battle the next it's looking at a car flying sideways into a gravelpit/wall. Then a massive orange blob running like a penguin, coincidentally faster than the HRT can even go.

Rear wheel on the grass, couldn't hold it.

Oh, well that explains the wheel that went flying. Do they still use the tethers that are supposed to keep the wheels on?

One minute the cameras looking at a battle the next it's looking at a car flying sideways into a gravelpit/wall. Then a massive orange blob running like a penguin, coincidentally faster than the HRT can even go.

+1 :lol:

On the not-funny side of things, this is a chilling photo:

15864.2.jpg

Back