2012 Canadian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 766 comments

Ross

Premium
England
Tadley, Hampshire, UK
OK, so after a 2 week break, we are back with the seventh Grand Prix of the 2012 season; Canada. At the moment, there have been 6 races with 6 different winners.​

Results
Standings

Formula 1 Grand Prix Du Canada 2012

Canadian-Grand-Prix-Circuit-2010.jpg

One lap of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

A detailed weather forecast of Montreal for the next 10 days

Lap Record ~ 1:13.622
(Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari, 2004)

2011 results:
~ Jenson Button (McLaren Mercedes)
~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing-Renault)
~ Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing-Renault)

2012 standings (after 6 races):

1. ~ Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) ~ 76
2. ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) ~ 73
3. ~ Mark Webber (Red Bull) ~ 73
4.Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) ~ 63
5.Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) ~ 59
6.Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus) ~ 51
7.Jenson Button (McLaren) ~ 45
8.Romain Grosjean (Lotus) ~ 35
9.Pastor Maldonad (Williams) ~ 29
10.Sergio Perez (Sauber) ~ 22
11.Paul di Resta (Force India) ~ 21
12.Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) ~ 19
13.Bruno Senna (Williams) ~ 15
14.Felipe Massa (Ferrari) ~ 10
15.Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) ~ 7
16.Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) ~ 4
17.Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso) ~ 2
18.Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) ~ 2

6 down, 13 to go. So far, still no points for the HRT-Cosworths, Marussia-Cosworth or the Caterham-Renault. Michael Schumacher still not having a good season and Pastor Maldonado getting his first ever F1 win. The big questions for this weekend are:

• Can the non-scorers finally get some points?
  • Can Michael Schumacher get back into his winning habit?
  • How will the rushed design changes on the Red Bull car affect their performance?
  • Can Pastor Maldonado repeat his performance in Spain here?
  • Will Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel overtake Fernando Alonso at the top of the leaderboard?
  • Can Felipe Massa get in the points again?
  • Can Sergio Perez get back in the points?

This is panning out to be a very unpredictable season with many of the underdogs getting podiums and some drivers getting their first ever wins. With Red Bull challenging for the podium, we will be seeing Seb Vettel's finger quite a bit over the course of the season.​

Last edited:
Schumacher with only 2?! Didn;t realise that. Canada always throws a good race up, expect Button and Vettel to lead.

7 winners out of 7 races with Lewis - seeing as he always goes well here (pace wise not incident wise).

Later... like Sunday morning? :lol:

Can't pick a winner... at all. Lewis has good chances, but I'd hesitate to call it until Q1.

Later... like Sunday morning? :lol:
Directed at me? If so, I learned my lesson from last time and have posted on the Tuesday before the event. I spent 3 hours researching the information for the thread yesterday. ;)

That's not a Jinx.

His pit crew will perform properly every stop.

Now that's a jinx.:lol:

I like your thinking, the more we say Mclaren will mess up, the less they will. Erm, that won't work...

Could Mercedes be in for a good result? Schumacher's last opportunity? Nah...can't happen. We'll see after qualifying.

dhandes I have given up on your skills, there was a time you were the best jinx in the land but now...I just don't know.

Fear not, I have a good feeling about this, see below.

Maybe the 7-time world champion driving car #7 can become the 7th different winner in the 7th GP of the season.

Of course he will. It is a 100% cert to win.

Maybe the 7-time world champion driving car #7 can become the 7th different winner in the 7th GP of the season.

... or crash at the 7th corner of the 7th lap. You never know, the art of jinxing works in mysterious ways :lol:

Going by the weather forecast, race day is supposed to be clear, which is a shame. Rain here, normally provides a thrilling race.

Well, the action is normally thrilling, unless Race Control decided to red flag the race because its raining a bit too much and we have a three hour wait for the restart. That waiting around, isn't thrilling at all.

Well, the action is normally thrilling, unless Race Control decided to red flag the race because its raining a bit too much and we have a three hour wait for the restart. That waiting around, isn't thrilling at all.

Hey, it was perfect for me. I woke up at 7AM, turned on the TV expecting NASCAR at Pocono and I see Formula One at Canada just after they were released from the Safety Car (thanks to the red flag) with the TV watermark/logo saying 'live' and saying,"It's still going!?" Will always remember every second of that race, so memorable. It's funny because the recorder failed that day.

It was memorable, not knocking it.

It was just really really really bizarre having to wait around for the restart that was all and it wasn't something that was experienced before so it was a odd situation to be in, listening to the commentators having to ramble on about complete and utter rubbish to pass the time.

At least the racing more than made up for the waiting! :D

unless Race Control decided to red flag the race because its raining a bit too much and we have a three hour wait for the restart
Race control were totally justfied in doing that. They didn't red-flag the race because it was raining - they red-flagged it because there were puddles of standing water everywhere. in some places (particularly around the first turn), it was ankle-deep.

It was just really really really bizarre having to wait around for the restart that was all and it wasn't something that was experienced before so it was a odd situation to be in, listening to the commentators having to ramble on about complete and utter rubbish to pass the time.

It was somewhat experienced before, at Japan and Malaysia where I believe practice was canceled and the other had qualifying pushed back. It's not unsual at all for race control to red flag events due to the unsafe conditions of standing water puddles.

:lol: Well, thank goodness I didn't have to experience it. I just got the good bits :D

The DRS zone has been altered for this year and they're now sticking to only the back straight as the only DRS zone while the main straight has been abandoned.

The DRS zone has been altered for this year and they're now sticking to only the back straight as the only DRS zone while the main straight has been abandoned.

They aren't moving the detection to before the hairpin, which is stupid. That hairpin is a great overtaking spot and it covered in spectators, but no-one wants to overtake there because they will lose out on the DRS. They need to put the detection line 150m before the hairpin.

But then people would just overtake at the hairpin and the DRS would push them far away down the straight out of reach of an overtake. It still would also mean some people just wouldn't overtake at the hairpin as they know they can just sit on the gearbox for an easy overtake.

The real solution is to get rid of DRS - it isn't needed at this track.

Race control were totally justified in doing that. They didn't red-flag the race because it was raining - they red-flagged it because there were puddles of standing water everywhere. in some places (particularly around the first turn), it was ankle-deep.

It was somewhat experienced before, at Japan and Malaysia where I believe practice was canceled and the other had qualifying pushed back. It's not unsual at all for race control to red flag events due to the unsafe conditions of standing water puddles.

I understood why, not disagreeing with what Race Control did. I will admit that my original post wasn't worded properly to indicate that I accepted their reasonings for red flagging it due to excessive monsoon-like rain and dangerous opportunities for aquaplaning straight off the circuit.

It was more about the actual fact that it was a very odd situation for the broadcasters to be in and that they hadn't actually planned for that eventuality (which no-one really expected to happen) and kinda were caught with their pants down.

But, what can you do in that situation?

Anyhow, I do wonder if there is an opportunity for Mercedes to showcase their immense straight line speed in this circuit and possibly get the Schu to win a race. To make it 7 different drivers out of 7 races. Or will Sauber have another fast car and get Perez or Kob to win? I'm actually keen for Kobayishi to win, the Spanish race really showed his overtaking skills and he seemed to come alive that time. Although Monaco was unfortunate. Renault... well, so long they get the strategy right, they can do anything.

Knowing Renault, they'll fluff it up big time, somehow.

Mclaren.... time to spot their pit-stops errors again and see whether it affects their drivers or not!

Red Bull... now, what's this about having to redesign their floor? Or is that not the case?

Anyhow, I do wonder if there is an opportunity for Mercedes to showcase their immense straight line speed in this circuit and possibly get the Schu to win a race.

When it comes to straight line speed lotus have the fastest car, they have been consistently at the top of the speed traps at every race this year.

Back