2012 Canadian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 766 comments
Schumacher has been strong here the past couple of years, only now he has a car capable of winning. I think he could take the win here unless the Red Bull and/or Mclaren is really strong in the race (As I believe Mercedes will be quickest in qualifying).

Hamilton looks good aswell, providing qualifying goes well and he doesn't get caught behind another car the entire race.

Button could do well here but with DRS changes, really he's going to have to qualify higher than in recent races because it's probably going to be a little more difficult to overtake, especially as the midfield is a lot more competitive relative to the frontrunners.

After the race I expect Red Bull to be leading both championships though, I think both of their cars will finish in the top 5.

I predict a Lotus or Mercedes win. This seems like a track that will suit them well.

The pundits have said that Lotus will be the fastest at almost every race weekend and the only time you could argue they have been fastest this year was at Bahrain. It performs well in the speed traps, it gets good traction out of low speed corners and it's good aerodynamically but I still think the Mclaren is the fastest car overall. Canada is a balanced mixture of low speed corners, high speed corners and long straights so I think whoever looks fast here will be a serious contender for the title.

I say barring ANOTHER mechanical failure, this is Schumachers to win... only thing is, since this is on Sky, I will not be able to watch my hero win it if he does. And I won't watch it on sky regardless... But I really do see him winning this one. But I also want Hamilton to get a strong result... Raikkonen deserves a win, but they look prone to make the same mistake again, which is push too hard at the start of the race, do really well and then fall back slowly.

I see either Mercedes or McLaren winning, which a Ferrari and Red Bull up there too, maybe a Lotus. Williams here, I don't think so. Sauber still need work and so do Force India...

Until we see them evolving on the track we can't even pretend to predict. Only guess.

And even then it's extremely hard to know how hard they are going at it. Looking forward to it. I think parts of the track are all Mac. But maybe the Mercs and Lotus still have a saying. And there's RBR too. Williams and Sauber faster "every day".

Who knows really. Best season ever! (well, in the past years...)

whoever looks fast here will be a serious contender for the title.

Very true, all though it does tip toward cars with better straight-line speed but it's still a pretty accurate statement there. Especially regarding the pace and feel of the season going from Canada. After this I think things are going to settle down, just a bit, and we'll start seeing regular top performers. So the winner in Canada's going to be a familiar face on the podium for the rest of the season.

Judging by what's happened so far this season, it's nigh-on impossible to predict which team will have the upper hand on race day. And that's without throwing rain into the mix.

Everyone thought Lotus would be the one's to beat at Monaco after practice, yet they came away with a damaged car and 2 points in the bag.

I'm excited for this race because I can actually watch it! Also, it looks like McLaren will do well.

I think "hooligans" is taking it a bit too far. From the looks and sounds of things, the protest was relatively peaceful, if somewhat heated. To me, "hooligans" are the opportunists who rioted in London last year for the sake of rioting.

While I'm rooting for Michael or Nico, I think the former would just bin this race. Either a McLaren, Nico, or Lotus win.

I think "hooligans" is taking it a bit too far. From the looks and sounds of things, the protest was relatively peaceful, if somewhat heated. To me, "hooligans" are the opportunists who rioted in London last year for the sake of rioting.

After about 120 days of protest and being a daily mentioned topic in the media here in Canada, the word Hooligans was wisely chosen. This whole issue is a far cry from being serious, it's essentially just a little war on the ethical front. Quebecs tuition fees are currently lower than anywhere else in North America. Bound to happen and it's seriously getting old.

After about 120 days of protest and being a daily mentioned topic in the media here in Canada, the word Hooligans was wisely chosen. This whole issue is a far cry from being serious, it's essentially just a little war on the ethical front.
In the English language, "hooligan" is often used to refer to football hooligans, who are noted for their destructive behavior. Based on what I've seen and heard so far about the situation in Quebec, the protesters are disruptive, but not destructive, so I think the word "hooligan" is too strong right now. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the protesters, they at least feel that they have a legitimate issue, and they have not devolved to the point of brawling for the sake of brawling. The incident at the Grand Prix cocktail party appears to have been largely peaceful, with the riot police there as a preventative measure. I wouldn't call them "hooligans" until they start invading the circuit, setting fires and physically harrassing tourists.

Well I'm bit of angry to those 'hooligans' because thanks to them there is a threat for sabotage in the paddock area so some big media happenings have been cancelled. Starting up a nice F1 weekend hasn't been very easy as ticket sales are now a big question mark first time in Canada. Last years it has been sold out. It's all in the news.

I'm a Kimi and Lewis fan but to me it looks like Ferrari will be the strongest team for the rest of the season with Alonso taking the championship. Other teams will be surely close. If it's raining Caterham might score first points hopefully.

Well I'm bit of angry to those 'hooligans' because thanks to them there is a threat for sabotage in the paddock area so some big media happenings have been cancelled.
They're probably not going to get anywhere near the circuit. There are only a handful of access points, which will be very easy for police to maintain to prevent people accessing the circuit.

They're probably not going to get anywhere near the circuit. There are only a handful of access points, which will be very easy for police to maintain to prevent people accessing the circuit.

Hope you're right. At first it was ment to be open for public but they cancelled it after the sabotage threat from protesters. Bernie could call to Bahrain and ask for help to get things going smooth here :P

As expected:

Hooligans doing their best to welcome the tourists in warm fashion... hope the police tames them.

I think it's worrying the lack of information that that link shows about what the people were actually protesting over...

Hooligans strikes me as the wrong term.

The generally accepted view is that the rioters were opportunists, but they weren't all doing it for 'the sake of rioting'. Most were doing it for 'the sake of stealing things', others did it (I think comparatively reasonably, even if what they were doing was still wrong) as an opportunity to take out their anger on the police over the use of racial profiling and stop and search law enforcement methods.

There were many reasons for the riots, many very interesting reasons, even if opportunistic theft was the main one. After the riots I've felt a bit sick every time I've seen an advert that goes 'because you're worth it.'

This is going off topic, so back to the grand prix. What's this people are saying about rain? Is it forecast? Could be interesting!

Last edited:
No rain so far, but overcast on FP1.

Back straight into T8 (I believe) is very wobly, hard to brake, severall locks and shortcuts. Every change in weather, track temparature, grip etc will be felt there first I think.

_
Spots of very light rain now... Just some drops.

_
And a fox just crossed the track...

_
Red Flag, Kovalainen into the wall exiting T8/9. Driver ok

Last edited:
Hamilton fastest on "medium" tires, early and apparently at relative ease... Unknown fuel load.

Button, disassembled car in the pits most of the session...

The pack is still incredibly close.

19h GMT for the second one!

Every weekend I see Hamilton somewhere near the top, but come the race it all falls apart :nervous:

But he really looks like he has the pace, lets hope they don't under fuel his car :)

Last edited:
Gorsad, dhandes is the village jinx. Come on now!

Seriously though, let's hope it goes okay. I mean this time last season he'd have drove someone up a tree. He's been calm about it for the most part and doesn't take his frustrations out on the track.

Back