2012 Canadian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 766 comments
Oh....

I was thinking about their special DRS-duct thing that at the start of the year, made them extremely quick.

Hadn't realised things had changed again.

Oh....

I was thinking about their special DRS-duct thing that at the start of the year, made them extremely quick.

That duct made their car on par with the lotus on speed, probably why lotus wanted to protest against it and since mercedes can't use it in the race it only benefits them in qualifying against McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull. Sauber are also quite quick in a straight line which is why Kobayashi started P3 for china.

Oh....

The double DRS only really helps Mercedes in qualifying.

Looking forward to this. Canada is always exciting, and with the unpredictability of this year it should be epic.

Hey, it was perfect for me. I woke up at 7AM, turned on the TV expecting NASCAR at Pocono and I see Formula One at Canada just after they were released from the Safety Car (thanks to the red flag) with the TV watermark/logo saying 'live' and saying,"It's still going!?" Will always remember every second of that race, so memorable. It's funny because the recorder failed that day.

It wasn't perfect for me, given that I'd stayed up all night watching it (Hmm, what's that light doing on outside... *checks* oh 🤬 it's the sun rising)

Canada is easily up there with the best races of any season.

I predict a Lotus or a McLaren win.

I think the race this year has been brought an hour forward? It will start late and will end very late in Malaysia :indiff:

I want Lewis to win, but I think I will till later in the week to make a prediction.

Later... like Sunday morning? :lol:

Can't pick a winner... at all. Lewis has good chances, but I'd hesitate to call it until Q1.

Could Mercedes be in for a good result? Schumacher's last opportunity? Nah...can't happen. We'll see after qualifying.

You are all cowards... :dopey:

Read and learn - Alonso will win. Comfortably.

You are all cowards... :dopey:

Read and learn - Alonso will win. Comfortably.

Three races ago, that would have been a good joke.

Now... it may be a frighteningly accurate act of precognition. :nervous:

Oh, not to be picky but shouldn't the OP say 6 down, 13 races to go instead of 6 down, 18 to go. Or have I made some horrible mistake here.

For some reason I have a feeling, probably be wrong :P, that Mercedes will at least dominate in qualifying. Seeing how they went at Monaco, Canada's almost as claustrophobic. It's a tight track for sure so it should suit them well. it seems like Nico and Schumi are just getting more and more comfortable with the car's potential so I expect we'll see them at least qualify well in the top five together, after that, who knows.

Lotus and the Red Bulls should struggle a bit, and as for McLaren, you never know, it's so hard to tell what cars do best at what sorts of tracks (and we are only 6 rounds in anyway).

gorsad
Oh, not to be picky but shouldn't the OP say 6 down, 13 races to go instead of 6 down, 18 to go. Or have I made some horrible mistake here.

Yeah, I've just noticed that too. It's a 20 race season, not 24.

Vettel will win this one.

Dont see it myself.. He'd have to qualify on pole for that to happen, in my opinion. Otherwise he'd be back in the pack, and i think he'd have difficulty overtaking.. The Red Bulls struggle for speed down the straights, and what this circuit dominated by..

It'll be hard to top last year, that's for certain.

Last year, this combined with Le Mans made for one of the best motoring weekends in...er...ever.

For all I know, the racing will be so close that everyone will just crash instead. :lol:

On a more serious note. Alonso can certainly wrestle the Ferrari onto the podium and if everything falls into place he can also win but surely Hamilton's streak of bad luck must end sometime as must Vettel's underwhelming performances.

Hmailton's bad luck has been going on for 3 races now. Bahrain=Bad Pitstops, Spain=Fuel Miscalculation, Monaco=Not really bad luck, just a lack of race pace.

Hopefully Canada will be the turning point.

I think he meant winners instead of races. 6 different winners, 18 more to have a crack :) I wonder what the odds are on Karthikeyan winning a race...

I see Prost using The Force, to help Grosjean win with Force Telepathy, which in turn will scare him and cause him to wreck. Thus having to use Pic and winning it for Marussia.

I don't normally predict, but I see one of a couple different scenarios this weekend.

IF we still had the double DRS zone, as we did last year, I would predict Mercedes dominance. As it sits, the track still has a lot of straight, full throttle sections and seems to have favored cars with reasonable straightline speed in the past. We've seen McLaren win the last 2 races here, in years when Red Bull was dominant in this stretch at other tracks. They won the 3 before and the race after in 2011, while taking 2 of 3 before and 1 after in 2010. They would have taken all 3 races before in 2010 if not for the Vettel/Webber incident in Turkey.

All of that to say, I don't see this as being a track that suits Red Bull particularly well. And yes, I realize Button had to make a spectacular pass in the rain to win last year, but look where he came from in the field to take that win. I think that's a strong testament to McLaren having the better car (and certainly the better setup) for that weekend.

I think for this weekend, we will likely see -

• Mercedes coming back into qualifying form
  • McLaren showing vast improvement over the past few races
  • Lotus demonstrating the same strong race pace they have shown for much of the season
If the weather remains coolish and Mercedes has a decent handle on setup for their tires, they are the likely winner.

If McLaren can keep from having qualifying incidents, pit incidents, or mental errors from their drivers, they will likely be toward the front of the field and in contention for the win, should Mercedes have tire issues.

Lotus will be there to capitalize in the even that both Mercedes and McLaren have the issues mentioned.

The way the season has gone, we could easily see a 7th winner in 7 races. Schumacher, Hamilton, Raikkonen, or Grosjean should all be in the hunt.

We could also see our first repeat winner, with Button and Rosberg being strong contenders.

Don't forget that there is no GP on the calendar that is harder on brakes than this one. More lockups make for more tire degradation. Vettel has an uncanny ability to avoid lockup better than most of his peers...I think.

Respectfully,
Steve

Yeah, I've just noticed that too. It's a 20 race season, not 24.

I think he meant winners instead of races. 6 different winners, 18 more to have a crack :) I wonder what the odds are on Karthikeyan winning a race...
Epic typo is epic. Fixed 👍

Back