2012 Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisters (DTM)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 334 comments
Gutted that I missed this one. Had to get some sleep though. Hopefully I can find a replay somewhere on the web.

Not sure how many people have been following the DTM, the thread seems to have dropped off a little!

Two more races to go...

I'm really happy that BMW are at least in the running for the Drivers title with Bruno Spengler doing a fine job in the matte black BMW Bank M3, even though they're currently last in the manufacturers standings.

But..., it seems that next year BMW will be running a 4th team, BMW Team MTEK, which will give them 8 cars to match the 8 entries each from Mercedes and Audi, I hope this should redress the balance a little bit.

I have to say, not being able to watch on TV, now I don't even have Sky, let alone ESPN , has hampered by enjoyment of the season a lot.

Not sure how many people have been following the DTM, the thread seems to have dropped off a little!

Two more races to go...

I'm really happy that BMW are at least in the running for the Drivers title with Bruno Spengler doing a fine job in the matte black BMW Bank M3, even though they're currently last in the manufacturers standings.

But..., it seems that next year BMW will be running a 4th team, BMW Team MTEK, which will give them 8 cars to match the 8 entries each from Mercedes and Audi, I hope this should redress the balance a little bit.

I have to say, not being able to watch on TV, now I don't even have Sky, let alone ESPN , has hampered by enjoyment of the season a lot.

I've been watching the qualifying and races on youtube, a guy called rationalconscience has been uploading them within a few hours.

I'm pumped to see Bruno near the top of the standings, hopefully he can finally go all the way this year after coming so close in recent years. It's also nice to see Robert Wickens starting to put in some good performances, he's starting to consistently challenge for points. All in all, the Canadians are doing pretty well.

As for BMW being at the bottom of the manufacturers standings, it's only because they have less cars. Joey Hand isn't helping BMW either, only 2 points. Although, Mercedes has two cars that have not scored (Wolff, Merhi), and Audi has one (Frey).

I was really into the series in the beginning and have been following its progress, but I've slacked off in the last couple of months. I watched the first 5 races on Youtube, but none since. I think I will try to find the Nurb. race. I'm glad that my favorite driver is still going strong and is looking closer to winning it, and I'm also glad that Mercedes is winning the Manufacturer's championship, but I just don't see enough passing. It's like a battle for the pole. Once that is decided, just complete the laps. I thought the new aero on the cars would account for more passing. I don't expect it to be like a NASCAR race, but I must say that I get bored too quickly watching the same leader on the Youtube races. I've been watching more of the V8 Supercars and Continental Tire series. I hope your revival of this thread gets me more involved in the series again. 👍

Am I the only one that noticed that the fans in OP's picture are wearing an unusual amount of black? It looks like a funeral!

Is Black the "it" color for jackets in Germany or wherever that picture was taken?

Didn't know there was a DTM thread here.

Race will be interesting today: Farfus on pole, Tambay and Albuquerque starting in the top 4, the championship contenders near the back, Mercedes absolutely nowhere in qualifying... Unpredictable weekend so far, hope the race continues the trend (though I'd like to see Farfus win).

http://www.sportschau.de/

Paffet P1 for now, reckons he could have gone faster.

CMON BRUNO!!! 0.007 off Gary....

Augusto goes P1!

Good showing by BMW in qualifying.. Spengler lines up behind Farfus on the grid... Hand and Tomczyk as read guard! I'd looking for some formation flying by the BMW teams....!

Last edited:
I watched all the races so far but I find it kinda boring. If the track is a bit wet, races are awesome but if the condition are "normal" it's super boring to watch I think. I have much more fun watching BTCC/WTCC/SuperGT races.

I watched all the races so far but I find it kinda boring. If the track is a bit wet, races are awesome but if the condition are "normal" it's super boring to watch I think. I have much more fun watching BTCC/WTCC/SuperGT races.

The length of the races and the fragility of the cars don't help DTM... it's kind of like its a 45 min sprint race, compared to something like BTCC, which is a 15 minute punch up!

WTCC struggles mostly because of some of the circuits they race at, IMO, and the lack of serious competition for Chevrolet.

SuperGT I've not been able to see too much of, I like the cars and tracks, but I've not yet seen too much good racing.

DTM has it's place, and I find it pretty tense to watch, although I'll admit it's because I very much BMW to win... if you've nobody to cheer for I can see why it might be dull.... a lot like football.

SuperGT I've not been able to see too much of, I like the cars and tracks, but I've not yet seen too much good racing.
Super GT has been very good this year, much better than DTM. The only properly good DTM races were Red Bull Ring and Zandvoort, though Valencia presented drama as well. Lausitz had a close finish but there was no way Paffett was going to overtake. Meanwhile, every Super GT race has been either good or better, particularly Autopolis, which was the best race this year in any racing discipline (as far as I've seen). In truth, there's hardly many races in history that can top that one.

But it's not really a fair fight between DTM and Super GT, as DTM doesn't have a GT300 type class.

Bruno is away, he's flying! :D

.. oh man, DTM may not produce the most exciting racing, but I'm doing my nut here!

.. Paffett under investigation for unsafe release!! ..no further action. Well, I'd like Spengler to win on his own ability, but my nerves wanted that cushion!

.. well, DC ends his DTM career about as impressively as he did his F1 career...

Last edited:
Bruno is away, he's flying! :D

.. oh man, DTM may not produce the most exciting racing, but I'm doing my nut here!

.. Paffett under investigation for unsafe release!! ..no further action. Well, I'd like Spengler to win on his own ability, but my nerves wanted that cushion!

.. well, DC ends his DTM career about as impressively as he did his F1 career...

what a fantastic finish to this season!

Gary driving the wheels off his car!... C'mon Bruno, keep it together...

To be fair both drivers have driven well, but Gary has to make up for a bad start.

Okay, so with one race Bruno Spengler takes the Drivers Championship for BMW, BMW Team Schnitzer take the teams title, and BMW take the manufacturers title....

Thats the perfect triple, all clinched in the last race, in their first season back.

BMW Motorsport, I 🤬 love you.

Not one mention on any Canadian sports website or TV network about it that I could find....that's very poor :grumpy:

Agreed. The only Canadian doing anything good in motorsports these days, and no one talks about it. Everyone's still too busy figuring out if we're going to play hockey or not.

TSN would rather broadcast some useless poker tournaments instead... I'd even settle for tape delays!

Back