• 953 comments

Matty

Insert User Title Here
Premium
Ireland
Mother's House
MattyMc1996
Egg's box? £3.60.
This years European GP brings us to Valencia. With 7 winners out of 7 races this is already the most tightly contested Championship of recent history, and may even be the closest of all time.​

Valencia Street Circuit Track Map

Lap Record: 1:38.638 - Timo Glock

valencia-circuit1.jpg

Last Years Results:
Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing Renault)
Fernando Alonso (Scuderia Ferrari)
Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing Renault)

2012 Standings (After 7 races)
Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - 88 Points
Fernando Alonso Scuderia Ferrari - 86 points
Sebastain Vettel Red Bull Racing Renault - 85 points
Mark Webber Red Bull Racing Renault - 79 points
Nico Rosberg Mercedes - 67 points
Kimi Raikkonen Lotus - 55 points
Romain Grosjean Lotus - 53 points
Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - 45 points
Sergio Perez Sauber - 37 points
Pastor Maldonado Williams - 29 points

What will happen this race weekend? 8 out of 8? Another different team making it 7 out of 8 for different teams? Discuss it all here.​

Last edited:
If either gets lucky, we may see Lotus or Schumacher on the top step, but aside from that, I think last race saw the end of the "New Winner every week" thing. FI and Torro Rosso just dont seem to have the pace this year that Williams does.

It ought to be an ok race, Street track, so a bit on the boring side. But maybe Lewis will lead, and then Bernie will pay them to screw up the pit stop, to make it really close with the 2nd place car.

If either gets lucky, we may see Lotus or Schumacher on the top step, but aside from that, I think last race saw the end of the "New Winner every week" thing. FI and Torro Rosso just dont seem to have the pace this year that Williams does.
You're forgetting Sauber. If Perez strings things together, he might be in with a shot at a podium, at the very least. After all, he went a long way on tyres last year.

I also actually tip the Sauber and Lotus to be a good performer, especially Perez in managing his tyres the best. This is quite a fast circuit so I think Mercedes would do well, although the tyre situation might not be the case. Overall, I think Red Bull and McLaren may have their hands in. An 8th different winner will be very welcoming...

Like Hawkeye, I think we're done with the "different week, different winner" thing.
I sense a victory from McLaren, RedBull or Ferrari on this one.
I won't be able to watch the race but it's no big deal since it is the least interesting of the year :D

Well out of the 2 teams you mentioned there is 2 drivers yet to win this year ;)

Trying hard to forget last year's race, in that McLaren were left behind their rivals...

In Canada I was confident in a Lewis Hamilton victory, he seems to be able to drive that track better than anyone else (he has either won the race or retired chasing the victory). Valencia favours good traction out of slow corners, but not at the expense of tyre wear. Qualifying is very important as well with only 4 recorded overtakes on this circuit. I would certainly pick Schumacher for pole, but again the form book says that he won't make it to the finish...

My tip for the win? Alonso. Hunch though and nothing more, and I hope Hamilton can limit the damage in the championship race as well.

I can't believe that Schuamcher has so few points. This season has been his best since returning, and he's been closer to Nico on ultimate pace than he ever has been, but has the worst kind of luck and reliability. Kind of like Lauda's 1985.

The Valencia Grand Prix, an ideal time to get a couple of hours sleep, safe in the knowledge you won't miss a thing.

Tempts fate

Is this race televised on the BBC? :nervous:

If it is I'll be seeing it on a 43" which would be awesome :D

Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't bother showing Canada live.. Great start time.. Maybe the football clashed with it. :indiff:

I think BTCC on the TV with F1 playing on iPlayer in the background. :lol: Hopefully Schumi can win, nice to see him get any luck this season.

Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't bother showing Canada live.. Great start time.. Maybe the football clashed with it. :indiff:

The BBC sold the rights for F1 to Sky in exchange for the right to show 10 of the races live. They made some bad choices in their list.

I think that's partly because of sky. Sky wouldn't let them take the best ten races and the beeb didn't want just the worst 10, therefore, a compromise was made.

They picked 10 each and the BBC had the first 3 picks. Then they each chose 2 at a time.

Fair enough that Sky will pick what they want when it is their turn but the BBC picked the wrong races.

I think one of the worst choices was not getting Circuit of the Americas on the beeb..

Hmm a clash with BTCC. Unfortunately I have to also pick up my new car half way through this race too.

So I'll just stick with BTCC :D.

There will only be 1 DRS zone this year (detection before turn 8, activation after turn 10) as opposed to 2 last year. Clearly they believe that there was too much overtaking going on last year.... And here I was hoping they'd put DRS zones on any available straight!

I think one of the worst choices was not getting Circuit of the Americas on the beeb..

Yeah that sucks, they should have given away the European GP which is usually terribly boring and got the US race.

Yeah that sucks, they should have given away the European GP which is usually terribly boring and got the US race.
The way it worked was that Sky and the BBC took turns in picking three races each. The BBC went first, and took Monaco, Silverstone and (I think) Interlagos, as it is the season final. Sky were then given their pick of three races that they would show exclusively, and while there is no more data on who picked what and when, it's likely that Sky picked up Austin in their first round of choices so that they could lay claim to an end-of-season round in case the championship was decided early.

So it's not like the BBC picked Valencia and ignored Austin. They probably lost Austin early on, and were left with Valencia in the last round of choices.

^ Gosh I've got images in my head of this going down like a kid's playground picking teams for football. I had no idea it had been done so unprofessionally, just one up from picking it out of a hat! I would have thought Sky would have demanded certain races not be on the BBC from the off or there would have been serious negotiations.

I'm glad the BBC got Singapore though, I bet Valencia was the last one left on the table! :lol:

Im surprised that no-one has mentioned the rumours that vettel will be joining alonso at ferrari when his contract is up in 2013!

Back