2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

• Thread starter joetoml1n
  • 933 comments
If it were anywhere but Monaco the race would have been pulled years ago, that tight city circuit just doesn't work with modern F1 cars. The rich and famous have to have their toys though so it continues on.

If it were anywhere but Monaco the race would have been pulled years ago, that tight city circuit just doesn't work with modern F1 cars. The rich and famous have to have their toys though so it continues on.

The main thing is because of its heritage, history and all behind the Monaco GP. A loss of Monaco, from my point of view, is big in impact.

If it's nothing to Formula 1, I'm pretty sure it would've been gone a long time ago.

The main thing is because of its heritage, history and all behind the Monaco GP. A loss of Monaco, from my point of view, is big in impact.

If it's nothing to Formula 1, I'm pretty sure it would've been gone a long time ago.

I agree with you about the history of the track and it's loss would be great. I also don't think its about to happen anytime soon. It's just that time has a way of marching by if you do not change with it. In my opinion modern F1 cars and tech have simply passed by the track and with the exception of cars wrecking out or pit stop passes it has become a very expensive and rather boring parade. Evidence by the biggest story of the race being when was the rain going to come and who would gain the advantage with tire strategy.

If Monaco had never occurred and someone today proposed Monaco as a new venue for F1, they would be laughed at so hard they'd end up in orbit.

I'm just saying here but if they can somehow modify the current Monaco track to make it friendlier for cars to race side-by-side, I think this going to be one heck of a race each and every year...

Maybe after Tabac and the chicane they can put a long straight instead of the corners they have now. This would end with a wide hairpin, I think this'd give much more opportunities to pass. It'd look a bit like the 1929 layout but with the Chicane.

They could get rid of the chicane after the tunnel though.

That would speed things up a bit and return the next corner to it's status as the one overtaking place on the track.

I guess that's impossible with no runoff at Tabac... And it's quite a fast curve too, something tells me we'd see a lot of nasty accidents

Isn't that the reason they implemented the Nouvelle chicane in the first place? Anyway, complaints from us now; about bland racing, would be far outweighed by those if the track were dropped from the schedule. Not to mention the feelings of the drivers, they obviously love the change of pace once a year along with the atmosphere (and of course history). Long live Monaco :D:tup:

Monaco should be held in a period with more chance of rain. Usually it's a dull race without it.

Lets be fair, not every race is dull at Monaco. Even when its dry and there is little passing, it can be an exciting race. I found last year's race pretty damn exciting until the red flag. Button could well have had a significant-enough tyre advantage to make a pass - certainly thats where it seemed like it was going.

If the threat of rain on race day wasn't there, I'm sure we would have seen a bit more racing. All of the teams were waiting for the rain to come, so put the two stop strategy on the backburner. It then turned into a 100% tyre management event.

This is an interesting graph:

Screen-shot-2012-05-29-at-09.51.03.png

(source: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/05/how-vettel-and-alonso-came-close-to-winning-in-monaco/)

I see Button never had clean air at any point in the race. When Kovalainen pitted he got stuck behind Ricciardo so he couldn't make the jump in the pit stop. It was in trying to jump Ricciardo, who was holding him up, that caused him to get stuck behind Kovalainen (Who I suppose they never thought would have been running on the same pace). It also shows just how much the frontrunners bunched up after the pitstops; Webber seemed to have slowed down quite a lot, possibly to give Seb a chance of jumping into a podium postition.

It's also clear to see how Di Resta jumped Hulkenberg. Infact, theres lots of things I can see on this graph that quite simply were never shown in the race. I guess people were more interested in seeing slow motion, close up shots of tyres going over a kerb.

Are Jenson Button and a few other well known drivers trolling for soup or what? When Vettel was dominating last season they all cried fowl and said it was boring....
Now that we have the exact opposite situation this season they still argue that F1 is boring now....TROLLS/Hypocrits...

Why wont they jsut come out and admit they think everything is boring except for seeing themselves win....
Vettel sure didnt think last season was boring....But now...

Blaze_409
Are Jenson Button and a few other well known drivers trolling for soup or what? When Vettel was dominating last season they all cried fowl and said it was boring....
Now that we have the exact opposite situation this season they still argue that F1 is boring now....TROLLS/Hypocrits...

Why wont they jsut come out and admit they think everything is boring except for seeing themselves win....
Vettel sure didnt think last season was boring....But now...

Sorry I haven't heard any of the drivers saying this season is boring. Maybe I'm not reading the same articles. Can you point me in the direction where you read this? I would really hate for Button and Vettel saying this season is boring. I like them both and don't want to hear that kind of stuff from them.

Cheers

Sorry I haven't heard any of the drivers saying this season is boring. Maybe I'm not reading the same articles. Can you point me in the direction where you read this? I would really hate for Button and Vettel saying this season is boring. I like them both and don't want to hear that kind of stuff from them.

Cheers

sorry i think i meant they said the unpredictableness would drive the fans away..

But when Vettel was dominating they complained that it was too boring. Now that there have been 6 diffrent victors they are complaining that it will drive fans away as well.

The truth is there probably being sore losers...the only not boring thing to a driver is when he wins...Otherwise F1 has a problem...because people watch F1 only to see JB or MW win......trolololol.

Last edited:
I also have to agree that this has been one of the best season ever in Formula 1 for a very long time. As a fan, this is what I want to see as multiple drivers going for the win and it has been a success for 6 races already.

Webber is, unfortunately saying this a little too early. I mean, we're not even halfway yet through the season where things are still in the early stages. Once we get past 3/4 of the season I think only then we will see some real tight competition as I'm very sure some drivers will start to fall backwards from the championship title battle and only 2-3 drivers are on for it.

I'm not sure as to why Button said that fans will say, "So anyone can win a grand prix, everyone can lose a grand prix like that?"? :lol:

Isn't that what F1 is supposed to be? Or more likely as what motorsport is? Everyone can win, and everyone is chasing for that win. If you don't get things right, you'll lose and everyone can lose. What's wrong with Button? :confused:

I don't know what makes Webber think that a rivalry is what people want, at least it's not what I want. Eventually a battle between 2-4 drivers will appear, it's not like a different driver will be winning every race. At the next race in Canada there's still a possibility of having 7 drivers from 7 races, considering Hamilton, Raikkonen and Schumacher haven't won a race yet. I think even Romain can win a race this season.

So that could be 10 winners from 10 races, though I don't think that's going to happen.

I don't know what makes Webber think that a rivalry is what people want, at least it's not what I want.

I think rivalry is one of the most important element in Formula 1. As I said, it might be a little too early for the tight rivalry to come into play but out of our sight, at this moment, we already have Alonso, Vettel and Webber battling for the championship lead. Too early to call Webbie...

There are plenty of rivalries, note the plural, going on in F1 right now as well as controversy and drama! I have always kind of liked Webber as a driver, but maybe he should keep his mouth shut about what most of us fans want. I have an idea, why don't they ask some fans 👍

The truth is there probably being sore losers...the only not boring thing to a driver is when he wins...Otherwise F1 has a problem...because people watch F1 only to see JB or MW win......trolololol.

Plausible indeed.

Predictability is what I think the drivers want. I mean, they are the ones out there putting in the hardwork on track, always trying their best to perform, but with these unpredictable tyres, it's making F1 a bit too much of a gamble, which could financially hurt the sport over time.

While we sit back and say "Oh yes, so exciting!", the drivers and teams, who are the ones spending the millions, are saying "Oh boy, what's next?", and the sponsors might begin to wonder "Why are we sponsoring them if they are going to be so inconsistent?" Sponsors want consistently solid results as well.

^Depends on the sponsor. Most sponsors are there almost purely for the coverage and publicity and the results aren't completely relevant (otherwise why sponsor teams like Sauber or even HRT at all?). Not to mention that more interest from the fans and more people watching and more excitement is better for all of the sponsors as it raises F1's image and coverage.

But certainly sponsors of McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes won't like it because they aren't consistently winning. But the trade-off is that they are involved and have their displayed in such a classic season.

You're totally right about the teams and drivers preferring dull predictability though! Imagine if we were them - of course we would prefer to know where we stand with the car, setup, upgrades etc.

Back