2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

United States
Houston, TX
astrosdude91
For much of the 2012 F1 season, the title fight looked like it was anyones for the taking. But now in the closing rounds, it looks to be Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull Racing's championship for the taking. Will Vettel win once again in the Desert? Or will his closest competitor Fernando Alonso or even another driver find a way to beat the seemingly unbeatable Red Bull.

Round 18 of the 2012 Formula One season is:

The 2012 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Yas Marina Circuit
yasmarina.png

Number of Laps: 55
Circuit Length: 5.554 Km
Race Distance: 305.361 Km
Lap Record: 1:40.279- S. Vettel (2009)​

I scoured Youtube but I couldn't find any actual onboard F1 footage. The best I can do is the Red Bull simulator video with Mark Webber from 2010. It does at least explain the track very well.

Last edited:
gorsad
A Fernando win, a Vettel DNF. That's what I think.

Even that wouldn't be enough. Doing the math, if Fernando picked up a win and two second places, Vettel could score a dnf and two wins and still take the title.
Anyway, I hope we can have a good race, but I doubt it. This circuit is dull, although it is fantastic to drive. In computers games that is.

Even that wouldn't be enough. Doing the math, if Fernando picked up a win and two second places, Vettel could score a dnf and two wins and still take the title.
Anyway, I hope we can have a good race, but I doubt it. This circuit is dull, although it is fantastic to drive. In computers games that is.

And if Vettel DNFs in all remaining races and Alonso manages one third place and two DNFs he will win. What is your point?

Here is a real onboard I found. Its not from qualy however it still seems decent.

Yay it's the most boring race of the year.

Hoping for an Alonso win to keep the title challenge interesting.

As usual I am going to be cheering on the Saubers.

The only factor that will make this race exciting is the tire compound. Mclaren has a good history this season on the harder tires, hopefully Red Bull won't win too easily.

I'm expecting a similar result to the India grand Prix here. But hoping for an interesting, exciting race.

Anghammarad
And if Vettel DNFs in all remaining races and Alonso manages one third place and two DNFs he will win. What is your point?

That Alonso will need I pull off something special to win the championship. Going by current form anyway.

That Alonso will need I pull off something special to win the championship. Going by current form anyway.

There has been nothing wrong with Alonso's performances of late, rather its Ferrari who have been underperforming.

There has been nothing wrong with Alonso's performances of late, rather its Ferrari who have been underperforming.

I was mostly talking about the fact that Vettel has been unstoppable in recent races. Time is running out. Assuming that neither DNF's in the remaining races then Alonso needs to start beating Vettel. I'm sure there will be people in the thread praying for a Vettel DNF or an Alonso DNF. I don't want the championship to be decided that way. I hope these two can duke it out in the remaining races.

More like there's nothing wrong with Ferrari as of late, rather its Red Bull who have been doing exceptionally well. Not looking forward to this one, maybe I'll pass it like I did with India.

I look forward to this race I dunno why I just love this track, it's so beautiful. I know F1s don't do much overtaking here but in other series like V8s it rocks for excitement. I hope F1s can be a bit more exciting this year.. But not due to the crash magnets hitting things... :P

Hoping for a Vettel win and an Alonso 11th or worse.

Why?

If you're a Vettel fan, wouldn't it be more enjoyable if Alonso and Vettel fought hard for the lead the entire race with first place changes several times and with Vettel pulling off a truly spectacular pass on the very last lap to finish inches ahead thus extending his lead in the championship by seven more points?

I know I would.

Anghammarad
Why?

If you're a Vettel fan, wouldn't it be more enjoyable if Alonso and Vettel fought hard for the lead the entire race with first place changes several times and with Vettel pulling off a truly spectacular pass on the very last lap to finish inches ahead thus extending his lead in the championship by seven more points?

I know I would.

This^ whether my favourite wins or loses I like it to go to the wire. Hense being won at Brazil is much more exciting than being won at Suzuka.

I think Redbull will win here. With Ferrari winning at Brazil. Circuit of the Americas being the decider. What a first year for that track.

Last edited:
Why?

I know I would.

I actually prefer him pulling far away from the group at the beginning and staying there the entire time over having a close race with a chance of not winning.

I actually prefer him pulling far away from the group at the beginning and staying there The entire time over having a close race with a chance of not winning.

I enjoy close racing, but as I am a Vettel fan and I hate Alonso I have to agree with this ^.

On a side note, has anybody noticed the change in Alonso's body language. Mid-Season he was happy and smiling away like he had the championship in the bag. However now I don't think he has smiled for the past 3 Grand Prix. I can understand the pressure he is under at the moment but you didn't see Vettel doing the same earlier in the year... especially in the first few races when he didn't score any points.

In a way, I think this is Alonso's downside, as Vettel kept his head held high and came back to take the lead of the championship, where as Alonso hasn't since he lost the championship.

I actually prefer him pulling far away from the group at the beginning and staying there the entire time over having a close race with a chance of not winning.

So you like a processional F1 race? Do you also like paint drying?

I enjoy close racing, but as I am a Vettel fan and I hate Alonso I have to agree with this ^.

On a side note, has anybody noticed the change in Alonso's body language. Mid-Season he was happy and smiling away like he had the championship in the bag. However now I don't think he has smiled for the past 3 Grand Prix. I can understand the pressure he is under at the moment but you didn't see Vettel doing the same earlier in the year... especially in the first few races when he didn't score any points.

In a way, I think this is Alonso's downside, as Vettel kept his head held high and came back to take the lead of the championship, where as Alonso hasn't since he lost the championship.

And he have started with his mind games, but I doubt that will affect Vettel.

otakukid96

So by what I take from this you'd like the F1 weekend to end after Saturday Qualifying? There's no point racing if you have no interest in, well, racing!

Would you also prefer 19 more such races each season?

Lets be realistic for a second:

Sebastian Vettel has 1 retirement in the course of this year, his worst final race position was 22nd, 11th at his second worst and the remaining position has been within the points range, with an average position of 1-3. Alonso has retired twice, with his worst position being 9th, and an average position of about 3-5.

Red Bulls are quite strong in dry races, so I think Vettel already won the WDC last race, Ferrari has many flaws compared to RedBull, and even if Vettel goes wrong, his worse position would be within the points, which render any efforts by Alonso useless.

Can't say I'm pleased with such a thing, but RedBulls tent to be very reliable, and Vettel as a driver is very reliable as well, I can see RedBull celebrating the WDC after Dubai's race.

I want to see McLaren making podium in these last 3 races(specially Button), it's a shame that they have had so many reliability problems lately.

On a side note, has anybody noticed the change in Alonso's body language. Mid-Season he was happy and smiling away like he had the championship in the bag. However now I don't think he has smiled for the past 3 Grand Prix.

Vettel wasn't smiling either when he was qualifying down the pecking order. Not sure where you are getting this comparison from.

I think what you are seeing from Alonso is the same thing that you saw around many forums before the Indian grand prix - people don't care to watch races where Vettel (or any other driver) grabs pole easily and drives away all by themselves. We've seen enough of that the past couple of years.

As Fernando said, he's not racing Vettel, he's racing Newey. It's really not that exciting when a guy can be half a second faster in P3 on primes than everyone else who used option tyres.

Back