2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

He'd be 42 points behind Vettel with 2 races remaining. Would still be a 2-horse race for me.

I actually prefer him pulling far away from the group at the beginning and staying there the entire time over having a close race with a chance of not winning.

I don't mind it if Vettel wins by a close margin, but him running away with it is boring.

Vettel and Alonso will DNF. Raikkonen will win, bringing the title to a 3-horse race.

Only in a perfect world.

Soft and Medium are being used for Abu Dhabi, and I think the result will be the same as the last race. I also expect the Williams to perform well here from what I see.

It would make sense for Red Bull to continue pitting Webber first, to not only test the water on tyre data, but also place Webber in Alonso's path after Ferrari do their stop. They could try to take Ferrari by surprise by doing the opposite (not sure there'd be anything to gain from doing this), but this 'gamble' could be their undoing, in which case I hope they do it.

After Abu Dhabi, things should immediately improve for Ferrari in Austin and Brazil due to their med/hard tyre prowess, but they will have to look out for McLaren who also enjoy those compounds. I hope Ferrari's upgrades work...

Vettel will dominate this weekend again, building his championship lead over an Alonso whose only chance at winning is if Vettel has either a mechanical failure or a crash.

If Vettel wins and Alonso comes second, then his lead will be up to 20 points. Vettel will have six wins. If in Austin and Brazil Vettel were to come third with Alonso winning those two races then by the end of the season Vettel would be crowned champion with a 0 point gap only winning 1 more race than Alonso.

That isn't counting other possibilities of DNFs and grid positions. The McLarens could pull something in the last few races, possibly acting as an obstacle for Vettel's points or maybe even the ones who could cost Fernando the championship. Or maybe Red Bull will dominate the rest of the season, and the championship is a foregone conclusion...

Mercedes should do relatively well at this race compared to the last few races.

Anyway, I think this race will be exciting for championship battle, it should be biggest opportunity for Alonso to close gap to Vettel / take lead as it should play strengths to the Ferrari more than the last few races to bridge performance gap. Red Bull and Vettel usually go strong here so it might be a close three or four team battle for win. The next couple of practice sessions and qualifying should make things clearer regarding how many teams will be in the fight for the win. McLaren are looking quite strong, hoping Lewis will win.

Come on Mclaren, it's only a steering wheel. :grumpy: Vettel found 8 tenths with the softs and Lewis found a tenth, hopefully that means he hasn't adapted to the softs yet.

Yes. He won in 2009 too.

I was looking at some of the statistics from previous races here and IIRC Hamilton was on pole by .75 in 2009, it should be close in qualifying.

Didn't Vettel win it in 2010?

Yes. He won in 2009 too.

And he pretty much had his towel on 2011 aswell, that is until he had the puncture in turn 2.

Seismica
Vettel and Alonso will DNF. Raikkonen will win, bringing the title to a 3-horse race.

And also he is gonna need a nit more than that to stand a chance. He is currently 67 points behind and a win and Vettel + Alonso DNF would make him 42 points behind. Although I would love to see him get up there, I don't think it'll happen.

I think Hamilton is better on this circuit though, he was most likely going to win in 2009 but for a mechanical failure, although Vettel could have easily won last year without the wheel/tyre issue.

Redbull using oil and water as mobile ballast?
10:50 - Ferrari has consulted the FIA on the proper use of the reservoirs of oil and water, used a bit as "setup corrector". It 'was found that the Maranello team has asked for explanations Jo Bauer to clarify the legitimacy of two technical solutions for tanks for oil and water on the cars. The Federation has responded with two circular has been sent to all the teams

Translation of
10:50 - La Ferrari ha consultato la FIA sul corretto utilizzo dei serbatoi di olio e di acqua, utilizzati un po' come "correttore d'assetto". E' emerso che il team di Maranello abbia chiesto spiegazioni a Jo Bauer per chiarire la leggittimità di due soluzioni tecniche relative ai serbatoi di olio e acqua sulle vetture. La Federazione ha risposto con due circolari che sono state inviate a tutte le squadre
http://www.blogf1.it/2012/11/03/f1-live-gp-abu-dhabi-2012-prove-libere-3-in-diretta/

It's not looking good for Vettel. Which is great news. :D How has Vergne got a contract for next year?

Back