2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by astrosdude91, Oct 31, 2012.

1. niky

niky Moderator

All on the same team? That would be a sight. Alonso's hands would be up in the air every lap, making some obscene gesture thankfully obscured by the gloves at whoever is in front of him. Lewis would swerve into someone's front tires for absolutely no reason. And it would likely be Alonso. Sebastian would be yelling "Yabadabbadoo" before the race even started, and Kimi would likely say something along the lines "This car is :censored:ing bad, it's unbelievable, this team is :censored:."

And a few laps later... "My :censored: is on fire! Why is this :censored:ing car so hot?"

That's a race I'd love to watch. And podium celebrations with both Kimi and Sebastian in them are always a good show.

2. Jaywalker

Jaywalker (Banned)

LOL! I meant who would set the quickest times in the same car, under the same conditions. My money would be on Alonso...

3. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

That's an interesting question, but one that can never be answered. Cars are fine-tuned, developed and even built from scratch to suit their drivers (if they have been with the team for a couple of years) so I find it probable that Lewis Hamilton would always be the fastest man in "his" McLaren, Vettel in "his" RedBull and Alonso in "his" Ferrari

(just remember how poor Fisi looked when he jumped from the Force India to the Ferrari)

However, in an ideal world of absolutely perfect and even conditions for everyone, I would give Hamilton the edge on qualifying, and I would pick Alonso for end-of-race result.

I don't know. But, then again ... who does? (Blade Runner quote :D )

4. Dodzzz

Dodzzz

Wait, let's not talk about positions here, I'm curious about how much the distance was from Vettel (12th) to 1st before the first safety car AND from 20th to 1st after safety car? which one was longer?

5. Pagey279

Pagey279

Personally I find that a lot scarier that the accident at the start of the Belgian grand prix :scared: The rear of Roberg's car comes a lot closer to Karthikeyans head

6. Jaywalker

Jaywalker (Banned)

:lol: @ Bladerunner!

Yeah, Schumi at Ferrari was a perfect example of a car being built around a driver.

So let's say then, identical chassis (& weight), 'box, aero & engine (no fine-tuning - i.e. same HP) Only suspension setup to suit driving styles & a couple of days for acclimatizing. Would be interesting, but, as you say...

7. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

But then if you're going to start thinking like this, you have to also account for the additional time stuck behind slower cars.

8. Centura

Centura Premium

He dived for the apex of the next corner after being off-track with multiple cars around him. It was quite obvious something bad was going to happen and he definitely deserved that penalty.

9. Pagey279

Pagey279

+1 he came back on with the gun ho attitude of you are stopping and moving out of the way because i want to come back on track now. With very little respect for the driver/s he was potentially taking out of the race.
    As it was he was lucky to get the contact he did, their wheels could have easily locked together causing terminal damage.

Action, made a dangerous move causing a collision with another driver. So naturally the consequence is he got penalised. Didn't think there was room for debate there :lol:

10. Peter.

Peter.

Six out of those cars would have zero chance of keeping him behind. The Torro Rossos and Webber weren't allowed to race him. Aside from Grosjean, the rest either retired, had an on track incident, or got held up by Grosjean and were behind him when he hit the pits. he barely had to do any jostling for position. With the second fastest car on the grid that day, all he needed was some clear track to stretch his legs, and once he got that, he was going to pass the train of cars in the pits.

11. Anghammarad

Anghammarad Premium

I would say that if they were driving a top car that suited them each perfectly then I actually think that Vettel would be fastest in a time trial, followed by Hamilton and with Alonso bringing up the rear. I am quite certain that the top and bottom would be reversed if they were asked to get the best possible laps out of a real dog of a car though.

12. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Premium

Interesting that I share the same view as you on this :dopey:

13. Peasantslayer

Peasantslayer

If points were awarded on Saturday instead of Sunday in 2012, Hamilton would be on 273 including a gearbox penalty and a grid drop from 1st to 24th in Spain. Alonso is definitely something special in a car that is hard to drive though, you can see him sliding in qualifying but he almost always make the apex. I'd love to see more F1 drivers in the ROC events so we can see how they compare in the same cars at least.

14. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Ah, quite the weird race. That's why I like F1 racing.

No way dude, Nuvolari would have him for breakfast. Didn't you see how he outsmarted Varzi at Pescara and Tripoli, even with Neubauer's team orders? Then again, people are comparing him to the next Benoist and Boillot.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. niky

niky Moderator

16. Ealirendur

Ealirendur Premium

Adrian. Newey. Rocks!

He be engineering, they be hatin'. I wonder if he chuckles maniacally wondering how FIA and the other teams will react.... I'd imagine he'd be used to the idea of limited-lifespan ideas by now.

17. niky

niky Moderator

That'd make two things engineered mid-season that are basically throwaway technology for 2014. Madness.

18. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Whaaaa ... ??? That's it, putting you as first entrant into my ignore list!

(minutes later) Oh snap, can't do, you're a super mod! :dopey:

19. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

20. David

David Premium

Are those available online somewhere?? :lol:

21. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Sadly, no. I guess Kimi made them and handed them out to all the employees.

22. Tzun

Tzun

Actually the shirts are coming on sale now. I want one!

23. Signal52

Signal52

Man, I want one. :lol:

24. Mac K

Mac K

I'll take 5.

25. Signal52

Signal52

In other news, HRT is reported for sale/not for sale.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  26. The Gran Finale

The Gran Finale

Where'd you hear that they're selling them?

27. Signal52

Signal52

28. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

Could've printed the actual words (I know what to do) but I guess selling them explains the "cliché" phrasing choice.

29. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I guess they had enough interest and saw the $$$ signs to make the right decision. :D

30. HeXoSKEL3t0n

HeXoSKEL3t0n

Yeah, apparently they posted it on their facebook page , they'd said they'd see 'how many likes they can get' , and see what they can do from there.

I so want one :D