2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

All on the same team? That would be a sight. Alonso's hands would be up in the air every lap, making some obscene gesture thankfully obscured by the gloves at whoever is in front of him. Lewis would swerve into someone's front tires for absolutely no reason. And it would likely be Alonso. Sebastian would be yelling "Yabadabbadoo" before the race even started, and Kimi would likely say something along the lines "This car is :censored:ing bad, it's unbelievable, this team is 🤬."

And a few laps later... "My 🤬 is on fire! Why is this :censored:ing car so hot?"

That's a race I'd love to watch. And podium celebrations with both Kimi and Sebastian in them are always a good show.

LOL! I meant who would set the quickest times in the same car, under the same conditions. My money would be on Alonso...

LOL! I meant who would set the quickest times in the same car, under the same conditions. My money would be on Alonso...

That's an interesting question, but one that can never be answered. Cars are fine-tuned, developed and even built from scratch to suit their drivers (if they have been with the team for a couple of years) so I find it probable that Lewis Hamilton would always be the fastest man in "his" McLaren, Vettel in "his" RedBull and Alonso in "his" Ferrari

(just remember how poor Fisi looked when he jumped from the Force India to the Ferrari)

However, in an ideal world of absolutely perfect and even conditions for everyone, I would give Hamilton the edge on qualifying, and I would pick Alonso for end-of-race result.

I don't know. But, then again ... who does? (Blade Runner quote :D )

Again with this... First safety car, from 12th to 20th. Second safety car, from 4th to 4th. Yes, it wiped out a 15 second gap to Button, but it is hardly like he jumped up significantly through the order like you seem to believe. And Grosjean wasn't at fault for that incident.

Wait, let's not talk about positions here, I'm curious about how much the distance was from Vettel (12th) to 1st before the first safety car AND from 20th to 1st after safety car? which one was longer?

Personally I find that a lot scarier that the accident at the start of the Belgian grand prix :scared: The rear of Roberg's car comes a lot closer to Karthikeyans head

That's an interesting question, but one that can never be answered. Cars are fine-tuned, developed and even built from scratch to suit their drivers (if they have been with the team for a couple of years) so I find it probable that Lewis Hamilton would always be the fastest man in "his" McLaren, Vettel in "his" RedBull and Alonso in "his" Ferrari

(just remember how poor Fisi looked when he jumped from the Force India to the Ferrari)

However, in an ideal world of absolutely perfect and even conditions for everyone, I would give Hamilton the edge on qualifying, and I would pick Alonso for end-of-race result.

:lol: @ Bladerunner!

Yeah, Schumi at Ferrari was a perfect example of a car being built around a driver.

So let's say then, identical chassis (& weight), 'box, aero & engine (no fine-tuning - i.e. same HP) Only suspension setup to suit driving styles & a couple of days for acclimatizing. Would be interesting, but, as you say...

Dodzzz
Wait, let's not talk about positions here, I'm curious about how much the distance was from Vettel (12th) to 1st before the first safety car AND from 20th to 1st after safety car? which one was longer?

But then if you're going to start thinking like this, you have to also account for the additional time stuck behind slower cars.

2) He was running out of room. There is no real run-off (if any at all) at that next corner, and Perez may have felt that he didn't have time to slow down befor he hit the wall; therefore, rejoining the circuit at speed was the only option, but the problem was that while he was going too fast to stop in time, he wasn't going fast enough to beat Grosjean.

He dived for the apex of the next corner after being off-track with multiple cars around him. It was quite obvious something bad was going to happen and he definitely deserved that penalty.

He dived for the apex of the next corner after being off-track with multiple cars around him. It was quite obvious something bad was going to happen and he definitely deserved that penalty.

+1 he came back on with the gun ho attitude of you are stopping and moving out of the way because i want to come back on track now. With very little respect for the driver/s he was potentially taking out of the race.
As it was he was lucky to get the contact he did, their wheels could have easily locked together causing terminal damage.

Action, made a dangerous move causing a collision with another driver. So naturally the consequence is he got penalised. Didn't think there was room for debate there :lol:

But then if you're going to start thinking like this, you have to also account for the additional time stuck behind slower cars.

Six out of those cars would have zero chance of keeping him behind. The Torro Rossos and Webber weren't allowed to race him. Aside from Grosjean, the rest either retired, had an on track incident, or got held up by Grosjean and were behind him when he hit the pits. he barely had to do any jostling for position. With the second fastest car on the grid that day, all he needed was some clear track to stretch his legs, and once he got that, he was going to pass the train of cars in the pits.

I would say that if they were driving a top car that suited them each perfectly then I actually think that Vettel would be fastest in a time trial, followed by Hamilton and with Alonso bringing up the rear. I am quite certain that the top and bottom would be reversed if they were asked to get the best possible laps out of a real dog of a car though.

I would say that if they were driving a top car that suited them each perfectly then I actually think that Vettel would be fastest in a time trial, followed by Hamilton and with Alonso bringing up the rear. I am quite certain that the top and bottom would be reversed if they were asked to get the best possible laps out of a real dog of a car though.

Interesting that I share the same view as you on this :dopey:

If points were awarded on Saturday instead of Sunday in 2012, Hamilton would be on 273 including a gearbox penalty and a grid drop from 1st to 24th in Spain. Alonso is definitely something special in a car that is hard to drive though, you can see him sliding in qualifying but he almost always make the apex. I'd love to see more F1 drivers in the ROC events so we can see how they compare in the same cars at least.

Ah, quite the weird race. That's why I like F1 racing.

A great analysis of this GP's events, with a particular focus on Vettel's race:

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/abu-dhabi-gp-vettels-rise-red-bulls-fall.html

disclaimer: I'm a Caracciola fan :P

No way dude, Nuvolari would have him for breakfast. Didn't you see how he outsmarted Varzi at Pescara and Tripoli, even with Neubauer's team orders? Then again, people are comparing him to the next Benoist and Boillot.

Last edited:
niky
Somehow, I missed that.

Fantastic analysis on the "mass damper" front wing. I hope the FIA doesn't ban it.

Adrian. Newey. Rocks!

He be engineering, they be hatin'. I wonder if he chuckles maniacally wondering how FIA and the other teams will react.... I'd imagine he'd be used to the idea of limited-lifespan ideas by now.

That'd make two things engineered mid-season that are basically throwaway technology for 2014. Madness.

Ah, quite the weird race. That's why I like F1 racing.

No way dude, Nuvolari would have him for breakfast. Didn't you see how he outsmarted Varzi at Pescara and Tripoli, even with Neubauer's team orders? Then again, people are comparing him to the next Benoist and Boillot.

Whaaaa ... ??? That's it, putting you as first entrant into my ignore list!

(minutes later) Oh snap, can't do, you're a super mod! :dopey:

62284_10151115129962060_1921849971_n.png

Yeah, apparently they posted it on their facebook page , they'd said they'd see 'how many likes they can get' , and see what they can do from there.

I so want one :D

Back